Jump to topic:

Debatability and Thett3: Campaign Platform

debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 12:45:35 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hello DDO! As I previously announced, thett3 and I are running for DDO office. Now, on to our platform.

There are two major things that need to be discussed. Firstly, the things that are completely under our control. Secondly, things that are up in the air (like Juggle's relationship with DDO).

Community Development

There are various parts of the website which need improvement. I will be going over various goals thett and I have that will facilitate the production of quality content. Ultimately, our goal is to get members involved in producing quality content and running quality projects, rather than doing everything ourselves.

The Forums

The main way I will be working towards facilitating quality discussion on the forums is through "topics of the week." I have already instituted this during my short time as president and hope to see it continue. If you look at the religion, philosophy, economics, and politics forums you will see insightful OP's written by various members. These OP's are stickied to help them gain attention. Ideally, every week a new OP will be written. This project has gained quite some attention and many members have signed up:https://docs.google.com.........
This is a perfect example of putting projects into the hands of members of DDO, rather than having one person doing everything themselves. Members that specialize in specific topics become engaged in writing an OP's and replying to posts. Additionally, forums that are used less gain more activity.
As with all of the projects I am wanting to institute, this is a flexible system. If it turns out members prefer monthly or bi-weekly topics, I will take those concerns into account.

Tournaments / Debates

Thett and I will be working towards reforming the tournament system to better suit the needs of the community. I made a discussion thread about potential changes here: http://www.debate.org.........
I strongly feel that the monthly system previously instituted during Ore's term is too much. In order to reduce burnout and ensure that tournaments actually finish, I propose a bi-monthly system as opposed to a monthly system. (Note: This does not apply to the beginners tournament).

1. More Live Debates: This can be either done by creating a tournament specifically for live debate, or recruiting volunteers to do a live debate weekly. Either way, more live debates is a good thing. Live debates spur quality discussion both prior to the debate via google hangouts, and through RFD's.

Member Outreach

1. Work on the "New Members Read Me" thread: There are several filler spots on this thread that have yet to be completed. I will be working with airmax to decide what can be added to make the thread more helpful.
2. Beginners Tournaments: I intend to continue these tournaments. Beginners tournament should be run in a similar way to beginners mafia. After the current tournament ends, the next one starts. This is more productive than a monthly system because (like with regular tournament reform) it will reduce burnout. I have seen many beginners tournaments dissolve entirely, though they are unfinished, simply because a new one has started.
This month I am running the tournament and I found that there are many members are highly active in the opinions section, yet not so active on other parts of the site. Upon reaching out to these members, I found that many of them were interested in debating and were happy to join the tournament. Those who are running beginners tournaments in the future will be encouraged to not only look at members that just joined, but also members that don't engage in debates.

Voting

1. Terrible RFD of the Week: I believe this ought to be reinstated, as it was a very productive way of critiquing RFD's in an unbiased manner. Members can volunteer to critique RFD's of a particular debate that raised controversy. Users like YYW, whiteflame, and bluesteel have all created highly insightful threads of this nature.
2. Voting Incentives: Just like tournaments can incite quality debates, they should also incite quality votes. I hope to institute a means of "judging votes" in a competitive manner during tournaments to give not only the debaters an incentive, but also the judges.

Technical Development

This is slightly tougher to talk about, because it involves Juggle. I have talked with airmax in depth about this situation and can say the following:
1. At this point, Juggle's level of interest towards DDO is completely unknown.
2. Thinking of this point in time as "DDO's last hope of communicating with juggle" doesn't make sense. Their contact with DDO has always been sporadic. They could be inactive for half a year, then later try express interest in the site.
3. Whatever the outcome, Airmax will recommend the victor of the election to Juggle as the sites liason.
4. If elected, thett and I will work hard to re establish contact with juggle and make a case to them about the site and the mobile update, and how it harms their bottom line of profit. As our major priority, we will do everything we can to get juggle engaged and get them to fix the problems stemming from the update.

Making a large list of potential updates for juggle to complete is unrealistic at this point due to juggles current detachment. If juggle does respond well, we will work towards other areas of site improvement. However, fixing the mobile update is what really matters now.

Thett and I both deeply care about the wellbeing of the site and hope we can count on your support throughout the election.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 2:04:20 AM
At 6/2/2015 1:51:34 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Assuming you lose the election, will you still do all of the things you are promising (save the Juggle interactions)?

Considering that it's at least possible for the answer to be "yes", the presidency has shown itself to be completely arbitrary and without any real value.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 2:30:49 AM
At 6/2/2015 2:04:20 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
Assuming you lose the election, will you still do all of the things you are promising (save the Juggle interactions)?

Considering that it's at least possible for the answer to be "yes", the presidency has shown itself to be completely arbitrary and without any real value.

People who argue against the presidency don't understand the value of having diplomatic representatives elected by the memberbase as a counter-balance to moderators selected by Juggle or by existing mods with no say from the memberbase.

Airmax is a one-of-the-kind mod. He performs beyond the expectations of many. I've been a member of plenty of other sites and you only have to experience bad moderation once to understand that there needs to be a balancing mechanism.

What happens if Airmax needs to leave the site and someone else needs to step in as head moderator? What if they have the power to ban people and they start banning whoever they dislike? What then? Assume that Juggle doesn't give a rat's a$$ about it. How will you handle the situation?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 8:35:57 AM
At 6/2/2015 12:45:35 AM, debatability wrote:
1. More Live Debates: This can be either done by creating a tournament specifically for live debate, or recruiting volunteers to do a live debate weekly. Either way, more live debates is a good thing. Live debates spur quality discussion both prior to the debate via google hangouts, and through RFD's.

I've noticed quite a few more of these sprouting up over the past few months. Weird, I remember when Stephen_hawkins was doing a tournament, it was pulling strings to get people to join. I've also attempted hosting live tournaments a few times, without much avail. I wonder if these have picked up enough where you could get a full fledged tourney going. Sure would be interesting to watch, especially now that a good chunk of the community is into google hangouts.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 9:02:16 AM
At 6/2/2015 2:30:49 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

People who argue against the presidency don't understand the value of having diplomatic representatives elected by the memberbase as a counter-balance to moderators selected by Juggle or by existing mods with no say from the memberbase.
Except, the president has no power.

Airmax is a one-of-the-kind mod. He performs beyond the expectations of many. I've been a member of plenty of other sites and you only have to experience bad moderation once to understand that there needs to be a balancing mechanism.
Very much agree.

What happens if Airmax needs to leave the site and someone else needs to step in as head moderator? What if they have the power to ban people and they start banning whoever they dislike? What then? Assume that Juggle doesn't give a rat's a$$ about it. How will you handle the situation?

What can the president do, in this case?
This seems like a business owner coming in and causing problems (mod), while the manager (prez, and ignore the owner hires the manager for this analogy) has to roll with it, since the owner can do what he wants. If Juggle doesn't care about mod complaints, it won't care what the president has to say, since it doesn't care about the userbase in this hypothetical.
My work here is, finally, done.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 2:12:01 PM
You didn't actually link to anything in with the Google Docs link.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 2:37:37 PM

If I am not elected, I still hope to contribute towards community development. I would hope that I could still continue what I have started with topics of the week (whether they be made weekly or bi weekly). I think that since there is a certain degree of overlap between bsh and I's platforms, he would be the one taking the most measures towards bettering ddo via projects if he was elected. In short, if I wasn't elected, I would still value improving DDO. However, I would do so via debating more and writing more insightful posts as opposed to coordinating the creation of such content.
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 2:40:58 PM
At 6/2/2015 8:35:57 AM, TUF wrote:

I've noticed quite a few more of these sprouting up over the past few months. Weird, I remember when Stephen_hawkins was doing a tournament, it was pulling strings to get people to join. I've also attempted hosting live tournaments a few times, without much avail. I wonder if these have picked up enough where you could get a full fledged tourney going. Sure would be interesting to watch, especially now that a good chunk of the community is into google hangouts.

That's why I also have considered doing a weekly or bi weekly live debate as opposed to a full fledged tournament. It is pretty feasible to find two people willing to do such a debate every other week, imo.
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 2:46:14 PM
via copying and pasting, none of the links i posted work

here's a link that exhibits the topics of the week volunteered for so far: https://docs.google.com...

here's a link to the discussion i started about the tournament system: http://www.debate.org...
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 3:14:46 PM

Khaos said exactly what I was going to - why is Juggle going to care if the membership elects someone? Juggle will always have the final say, so any influence on them by the members is ultimately not really there per se.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 5:44:49 PM
Hello DDO! As I previously announced, thett3 and I are running for DDO office. Now, on to our platform.

There are two major things that need to be discussed. Firstly, the things that are completely under our control. Secondly, things that are up in the air (like Juggle's relationship with DDO).

Community Development

There are various parts of the website which need improvement. I will be going over various goals thett and I have that will facilitate the production of quality content. Ultimately, our goal is to get members involved in producing quality content and running quality projects, rather than doing everything ourselves.

The Forums

The main way I will be working towards facilitating quality discussion on the forums is through "topics of the week." I have already instituted this during my short time as president and hope to see it continue. If you look at the religion, philosophy, economics, and politics forums you will see insightful OP's written by various members. These OP's are stickied to help them gain attention. Ideally, every week a new OP will be written. This project has gained quite some attention and many members have signed up:https://docs.google.com.........
This is a perfect example of putting projects into the hands of members of DDO, rather than having one person doing everything themselves. Members that specialize in specific topics become engaged in writing an OP's and replying to posts. Additionally, forums that are used less gain more activity.
As with all of the projects I am wanting to institute, this is a flexible system. If it turns out members prefer monthly or bi-weekly topics, I will take those concerns into account.

Tournaments / Debates

Thett and I will be working towards reforming the tournament system to better suit the needs of the community. I made a discussion thread about potential changes here: http://www.debate.org.........
I strongly feel that the monthly system previously instituted during Ore's term is too much. In order to reduce burnout and ensure that tournaments actually finish, I propose a bi-monthly system as opposed to a monthly system. (Note: This does not apply to the beginners tournament).

Member Outreach

1. Work on the "New Members Read Me" thread: There are several filler spots on this thread that have yet to be completed. I will be working with airmax to decide what can be added to make the thread more helpful.
2. Beginners Tournaments: I intend to continue these tournaments. Beginners tournament should be run in a similar way to beginners mafia. After the current tournament ends, the next one starts. This is more productive than a monthly system because (like with regular tournament reform) it will reduce burnout. I have seen many beginners tournaments dissolve entirely, though they are unfinished, simply because a new one has started.
This month I am running the tournament and I found that there are many members are highly active in the opinions section, yet not so active on other parts of the site. Upon reaching out to these members, I found that many of them were interested in debating and were happy to join the tournament. Those who are running beginners tournaments in the future will be encouraged to not only look at members that just joined, but also members that don't engage in debates.

Voting

1. Terrible RFD of the Week: I believe this ought to be reinstated, as it was a very productive way of critiquing RFD's in an unbiased manner. Members can volunteer to critique RFD's of a particular debate that raised controversy. Users like YYW, whiteflame, and bluesteel have all created highly insightful threads of this nature.
2. Voting Incentives: Just like tournaments can incite quality debates, they should also incite quality votes. I hope to institute a means of "judging votes" in a competitive manner during tournaments to give not only the debaters an incentive, but also the judges.

Technical Development

This is slightly tougher to talk about, because it involves Juggle. I have talked with airmax in depth about this situation and can say the following:
2. Thinking of this point in time as "DDO's last hope of communicating with juggle" doesn't make sense. Their contact with DDO has always been sporadic. They could be inactive for half a year, then later try express interest in the site.
3. Whatever the outcome, Airmax will recommend the victor of the election to Juggle as the sites liason.
4. If elected, thett and I will work hard to re establish contact with juggle and make a case to them about the site and the mobile update, and how it harms their bottom line of profit. As our major priority, we will do everything we can to get juggle engaged and get them to fix the problems stemming from the update.

Making a large list of potential updates for juggle to complete is unrealistic at this point due to juggles current detachment. If juggle does respond well, we will work towards other areas of site improvement. However, fixing the mobile update is what really matters now.

Thett and I both deeply care about the wellbeing of the site and hope we can count on your support throughout the election.

Does your campaign have any plans to support women and minorities on DDO?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 6:25:12 PM
Your google docs link doesn't work for me, it just takes me to my documents.
Lexus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 6:35:11 PM
At 6/2/2015 6:25:12 PM, TUF wrote:

Works for me but here is a screenshot:
http://gyazo.com...
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 6:38:19 PM
At 6/2/2015 6:35:11 PM, Lexus wrote:
At 6/2/2015 6:25:12 PM, TUF wrote:

Works for me but here is a screenshot:
http://gyazo.com...

Thanks, might be because I was logged in.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 6:41:33 PM

I think this would be a cool idea in a youtube show. If only I had the time lol.

Any examples? How much have you thought on this area? Airmax and I tried something like this that semi-worked for a little while, where you could nominate people's votes that weren't your own, and were recognized for being in the top 3 or something like that. The site is much bigger now than when we did this the first couple times, I wonder if this would pick up any interest now.
Lexus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 6:51:22 PM
Voting

Yes please!
This will increase the quality of votes so debaters can get better feedback, great.
Plus it'll be fun to laugh at the worst of the worst votes.
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 8:00:17 PM
At 6/2/2015 6:41:33 PM, TUF wrote:

I think this would be a cool idea in a youtube show. If only I had the time lol.

That would be a really awesome idea. I do wonder how many people would be willing to devote that kind of time towards a regular show though.

Any examples? How much have you thought on this area? Airmax and I tried something like this that semi-worked for a little while, where you could nominate people's votes that weren't your own, and were recognized for being in the top 3 or something like that. The site is much bigger now than when we did this the first couple times, I wonder if this would pick up any interest now.

I know that zaradi's prized tournament included incentives for votes. Though, I'm not quite sure how that turned out. I think it ought to be given a try. During the next monthly or bi-monthly tournament, I'll suggest that the person running the tournament implements the idea.
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 8:02:00 PM
At 6/2/2015 5:44:49 PM, kbub wrote:

Does your campaign have any plans to support women and minorities on DDO?

I think there is a lacking in female presence on this website. I'm always open to hearing ideas on how to work towards having more active and contributing females/minorities on DDO. What would you propose?
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 3:11:09 AM

If Airmax left the site, I'd probably leave as well. With Juggle essentially gone, Airmax is the only true harbinger of justice left. He's literally the glue that holds us together, albeit passively for the most part.

If anything, I commend this campaign for focusing on the community and goals that are actually within reach.

As for the presidency itself, anyone in the know understands what it's about. Which, again, leads me to commend this specific group for focusing on the community here.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
greatkitteh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 3:28:11 AM

Community Development

The Forums

Tournaments / Debates

Member Outreach

Voting

Technical Development

What do you think about the people who say the president is powerless?
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 9:31:40 PM
You've got my vote
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...