How Many DDOians are/were vegetarians?

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 5:06:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
OK, DDO ....

How many of you were/are vegan/lacto-vegetarian/ovo-vegetarian/ovo-lacto-vegetarian?
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 5:33:34 AM
At 6/5/2015 5:06:12 AM, tejretics wrote:
OK, DDO ....

How many of you were/are vegan/lacto-vegetarian/ovo-vegetarian/ovo-lacto-vegetarian?

This belongs in the health sub forum, but I tried it out for a while, because I enjoy experimenting with myself. I was vegan for about 6 months. I was so worried about vitamin deficiencies that I educated myself on common vitamin deficiencies and was taking about 10 different supplements a day.

After 6 months I sat down and made a pros and cons list and decided if it is a path I wanted to continue down, and decided against it.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 7:35:41 AM
At 6/5/2015 5:33:34 AM, Wylted wrote:
OK, DDO ....

This belongs in the health sub forum, but I tried it out for a while, because I enjoy experimenting with myself. I was vegan for about 6 months. I was so worried about vitamin deficiencies that I educated myself on common vitamin deficiencies and was taking about 10 different supplements a day.

After 6 months I sat down and made a pros and cons list and decided if it is a path I wanted to continue down, and decided against it.

It's on the DDO forum because:
(a) I want to know *DDOians* who are vegetarian
(b) The health forum is dead
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 7:42:14 AM
OK, DDO ....

Apart from me, there's also cludwig.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 7:42:45 AM
At 6/5/2015 7:42:14 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
OK, DDO ....

There are quite a few, actually.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 7:44:37 AM
At 6/5/2015 7:42:45 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 6/5/2015 7:42:14 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
OK, DDO ....

There are quite a few, actually.

There's also kaleidosc0pe (the new user who posted a self-introduction thread a few days ago).
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 9:05:10 AM
OK, DDO ....

I'm a vegetarian. Ovo-lacto, though if the hippie stuff wasn't so expensive I'd cut both out; unfortunately, I also can't eat wheat so my options are already limited and I have to kind of balance things.

Also I second the "Should have gone in health forum" point; it'll stay dead if nobody posts there, it's self-reinforcing.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 9:11:18 AM
OK, DDO ....

http://www.reactiongifs.com...

Pls
paininthenuts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 9:42:42 AM
OK, DDO ....

===========================

I am a 57 year old male, live in the UK, and have been a vegi for 51 years. To be honest I am a vegan by belief, but am a bit of a hypocrite. That said, I hate eggs and cheese, so I am not to far off the mark. I was told what meat was when I was six, and haven't touched it since.

Until I retired I was truck driver, and don't resemble the average vegi at all
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 9:53:07 AM
At 6/5/2015 9:42:42 AM, paininthenuts wrote:
OK, DDO ....

===========================

I am a 57 year old male, live in the UK, and have been a vegi for 51 years. To be honest I am a vegan by belief, but am a bit of a hypocrite. That said, I hate eggs and cheese, so I am not to far off the mark. I was told what meat was when I was six, and haven't touched it since.

Until I retired I was truck driver, and don't resemble the average vegi at all

Oh, well I hope leading that lifestyle makes you happy. I think in the not too distant future the choice won't matter as much in regards to ethics. Meat is starting to be grown in a lab, instead of a farm. It is only a matter of time, before the slaughter of animals is replaced by the mixing of test tubes.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 10:27:40 AM
I've been vegetarian for about three years.

I'm not against animal slaughter for food or animal husbandry in general, but U.S. factory farming is one of the few things I think is unambiguously wrong. I don't think there is any defense for how we manage our animal food supply.

I understand the cultural and behavioral obstacles around becoming vegetarian, it was hard to give up meat and I still wish I could have a pulled pork sandwich every now and then. I can't judge people who simply aren't able to commit to the the diet, but I think anyone with any intellectual honesty has to admit factory farming is wrong.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 10:30:15 AM
Never have been, never will be. It's interesting because there are a lot of microbiology professors I've had who claimed that their courses turned many students vegetarian. I can see how that's possible, but there are really two types of people who go through that kind of class: those who will be germophobic and avoid everything, and those who just stop caring because microbes are everywhere. I'm among the latter group, and to be honest, none of the other vegetarian arguments have ever convinced me to give up meat.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 10:31:33 AM
At 6/5/2015 10:20:15 AM, 16kadams wrote:
Bacon

I was discussing the topic with Mathgeekjoe a while ago (the poll is now deleted), and TBR's response was like yours except it was a link :P

Don't be a stat cynic:

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 10:31:44 AM
At 6/5/2015 10:30:15 AM, whiteflame wrote:
Never have been, never will be. It's interesting because there are a lot of microbiology professors I've had who claimed that their courses turned many students vegetarian. I can see how that's possible, but there are really two types of people who go through that kind of class: those who will be germophobic and avoid everything, and those who just stop caring because microbes are everywhere. I'm among the latter group, and to be honest, none of the other vegetarian arguments have ever convinced me to give up meat.

BACON
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 10:32:55 AM
At 6/5/2015 10:31:33 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 6/5/2015 10:20:15 AM, 16kadams wrote:
Bacon

I was discussing the topic with Mathgeekjoe a while ago (the poll is now deleted), and TBR's response was like yours except it was a link :P

probably this: https://www.google.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 10:34:30 AM
At 6/5/2015 10:31:44 AM, 16kadams wrote:

BACON

Preaching to the choir. Sing it, brotha.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 10:38:33 AM
At 6/5/2015 10:34:30 AM, whiteflame wrote:

BACON

Yeah but I am probably fatter than you. I would eat Whataburger for breakfast, Wendy's for lunch, and McDonald's for dinner if I could. I am a meat and fat addict. :P I am like 6'1" but I weigh 210 lbs... At least I lost 17 pounds. Walking 15 minutes a day does a lot :P
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 10:40:22 AM
At 6/5/2015 10:38:33 AM, 16kadams wrote:

BACON

Yeah but I am probably fatter than you. I would eat Whataburger for breakfast, Wendy's for lunch, and McDonald's for dinner if I could. I am a meat and fat addict. :P I am like 6'1" but I weigh 210 lbs... At least I lost 17 pounds. Walking 15 minutes a day does a lot :P

*shrug* Don't sound that beefy (haha) to me. 5'11, 170 lbs myself.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 10:44:26 AM
At 6/5/2015 10:40:22 AM, whiteflame wrote:

BACON

lololololollol, dat cheesy joke. Rekt vegans

I mean I am not obese, but I am chubby. Luckily I naturally build muscle so that means I burn more calories while at rest... all day... so it makes up for it kinda :P

I think I weighed that much at that height a year ago. But I think adding only two inches in and adding 40 pounds is kinda gross. I probably should weigh that much. My dad is 6'4" and weighs as much as me. I am sad because I will be the only kid not taller than his dad XD. Short mom, wish you were average female height. Then I would be tall
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 10:48:16 AM
At 6/5/2015 10:44:26 AM, 16kadams wrote:

BACON

I mean I am not obese, but I am chubby. Luckily I naturally build muscle so that means I burn more calories while at rest... all day... so it makes up for it kinda :P

I think I weighed that much at that height a year ago. But I think adding only two inches in and adding 40 pounds is kinda gross. I probably should weigh that much. My dad is 6'4" and weighs as much as me. I am sad because I will be the only kid not taller than his dad XD. Short mom, wish you were average female height. Then I would be tall

I'm about a quarter inch shorter than my dad. Mother dragged me down too :P

Used to be thin as a rail, back when I was in college, anyway. We're talking same height, 20-30 pounds lighter. Wasn't healthy, though. Didn't eat enough and didn't exercise much.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 10:56:12 AM
At 6/5/2015 10:48:16 AM, whiteflame wrote:
At 6/5/2015 10:44:26 AM, 16kadams wrote:

BACON

I'm about a quarter inch shorter than my dad. Mother dragged me down too :P

I am off by 3. My dad was a freak though because his dad was average and his mom was like mine, 5'3". But he somehow became 6'4". And he is the youngest of his brothers (the oldest is the shortest... goes in an order). So I dunno where he came from. I am about where I am predicted to be, though.

Used to be thin as a rail, back when I was in college, anyway. We're talking same height, 20-30 pounds lighter. Wasn't healthy, though. Didn't eat enough and didn't exercise much.

I eat too much and don't exercise enough.
Lexus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 11:18:30 AM
OK, DDO ....

I'm not, because the only meat that I eat is chicken. I love chicken.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 11:40:17 AM
At 6/5/2015 11:18:30 AM, Lexus wrote:
OK, DDO ....

http://zh.urbandictionary.com...

Don't be a stat cynic:

Lexus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 12:21:24 PM
At 6/5/2015 11:40:17 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 6/5/2015 11:18:30 AM, Lexus wrote:
OK, DDO ....

http://zh.urbandictionary.com...

I hate that there is a word for this. I just don't like other meat damnit
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 1:25:28 PM

BACON

I walk 3 minutes to my bus stop every day. Do you think I'll get abs.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 1:33:30 PM

BACON

http://4.bp.blogspot.com...