Jump to topic:

Where do peoples money go

paininthenuts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 5:15:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
To start with, I am not showing off. I don't know any of you, so how can I be. This is a subject I have talked about with my wife on several occasions, but never with friends.

I left school at 16, worked hard and did all the right things. I got married, bought a house, and had one son, who I consider was brought up well, and has never been a great financial burden on us. I have never been a great wage earner, but have probably earned about 20% of the national average wage. My wife worked part time when my son was young, and then full time when he got to his teens. Her salary was about 30% below the national average wage. We have had two cars for many years, both of which are renewed every three years or so for a brand new model. Our 3 bed detached house in a nice area is kept beautifully, and the bathroom and kitchen has been renewed as and when necessary. We have had two foreign holidays a year, and go out for lunch or a fairly regular basis. As well as this, I have held a season ticket at a premiership ground for 16 years. Despite all this we have still managed to put a few quid away for a rainy day. I am 57 and my wife 56. We are shortly moving to Norfolk, where we are downsizing property, adding our gained equity to our savings and retiring. As I write this, I haven't worked for 6 weeks and am thoroughly enjoying it.

My question is, why don't more people do this. I know people that earn considerably more than me, have not managed to live such a comfortable life, and by their own admittance they don't have any savings. I know other people that have never managed to by a house, don't have foreign holidays, run an old banger, and have to work all the overtime they can to survive. It all appears so easy to me, so where have all these other people gone so wrong ?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 6:01:55 AM
I think you know the answer. Society is groomed to be extremely consumerist. We must have the latest gadget, we eat out all the time, we spend tons of money on stupid things now! No have a $350 a month phone bill. I eat out nearly every day, I buy stupid shitt. I don't make much more than minimum wage, but I'm fully aware that I could live a better life if I had just a little more self control, but whatever.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 6:21:54 AM
I guess wealth and living comfortable is relative. I only make 13$ an hour which isn't much, but am not into getting the newest gadgets and trinkets. I work a ton of overtime and basically use all my extra money instead on going on as many vacations and trips as I can. I could pour more than 300$ a month into savings, but then I wouldn't be able to travel as much. I am content with the way I live, and personally don't understand why people don't use their money on having fun experiences rather than items and gadgets. A person working for minimum wage at McDonald's can make more than a CEO of a major company though when you factor in all their expenses. The McDonald's worker may only pay a small bit of rent with a bunch of roomates, while the CEO has to pay for car leases, his expensive house and clothing, fine dining. How you spend your money is a big factor in how much you actually make.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 6:58:23 AM
Somehow I find this pretty hard to believe. However, when there's *two* incomes is does generally make things more manageable, it also depends on where you live and job circumstances. Some people get made redundant and then have recurring financial problems from that; others have had to move around because of not having stable jobs. I would say the younger you are when you get yourself "set up" (in terms of a long-term job, investment in a house, etc.) the easier it actually is.

The key comment in your post is "did all the right things", a lot of people don't.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 7:00:51 AM
At 6/5/2015 6:01:55 AM, Wylted wrote:
I think you know the answer. Society is groomed to be extremely consumerist. We must have the latest gadget, we eat out all the time, we spend tons of money on stupid things now! No have a $350 a month phone bill. I eat out nearly every day, I buy stupid shitt. I don't make much more than minimum wage, but I'm fully aware that I could live a better life if I had just a little more self control, but whatever.

Nearly every day?! Wow..that's expensive..you don't leave tips as well do you?
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 7:10:38 AM
At 6/5/2015 7:00:51 AM, Emilrose wrote:

I tip extremely well, but I'm mostly talking about shitty restaurants that don't require tip, you know fast food like subway, McDonalds etc. heart attack food. You can do what the op said in the Unoted States. Even people that consider themselves poor, typically have access to cable, microwave plenty of food a car etc. being poor in the United States isn't like being poor in many other countries.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 7:45:09 AM
At 6/5/2015 5:15:28 AM, paininthenuts wrote:
To start with, I am not showing off. I don't know any of you, so how can I be. This is a subject I have talked about with my wife on several occasions, but never with friends.

I left school at 16, worked hard and did all the right things. I got married, bought a house, and had one son, who I consider was brought up well, and has never been a great financial burden on us. I have never been a great wage earner, but have probably earned about 20% of the national average wage. My wife worked part time when my son was young, and then full time when he got to his teens. Her salary was about 30% below the national average wage. We have had two cars for many years, both of which are renewed every three years or so for a brand new model. Our 3 bed detached house in a nice area is kept beautifully, and the bathroom and kitchen has been renewed as and when necessary. We have had two foreign holidays a year, and go out for lunch or a fairly regular basis. As well as this, I have held a season ticket at a premiership ground for 16 years. Despite all this we have still managed to put a few quid away for a rainy day. I am 57 and my wife 56. We are shortly moving to Norfolk, where we are downsizing property, adding our gained equity to our savings and retiring. As I write this, I haven't worked for 6 weeks and am thoroughly enjoying it.
I am lucky enough to have parents similar to you and your wife (except they work less and don't have the cars or foreign trips).

I agree that it is wholly possible to achieve this.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 8:31:32 AM

You know, Sprint can cut your phone bill in half.
*starts revving up a chainsaw for you*
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 8:55:13 AM
At 6/5/2015 8:31:32 AM, Hayd wrote:

With my credit, the only company stupid enough to trust me with an iPhone 6 plus is AT&T
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 8:56:14 AM
"I have never been a great wage earner, but have probably earned about 20% of the national average wage."

So your wage is 80% lower than average?
paininthenuts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 11:33:54 AM
At 6/5/2015 8:55:13 AM, Wylted wrote:

With my credit, the only company stupid enough to trust me with an iPhone 6 plus is AT&T

==============

The answer is by what you need, NOT what you want
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 3:37:19 PM
At 6/5/2015 11:33:54 AM, paininthenuts wrote:
At 6/5/2015 8:55:13 AM, Wylted wrote:

==============

The answer is by what you need, NOT what you want

The question was "Where do people's money go", that answer would seem irrelevant.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 3:44:54 PM
I thought you were RM's multi that operated temporarily about a year ago.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 8:27:01 PM
At 6/5/2015 5:15:28 AM, paininthenuts wrote:

My question is, why don't more people do this. I know people that earn considerably more than me, have not managed to live such a comfortable life, and by their own admittance they don't have any savings. I know other people that have never managed to by a house, don't have foreign holidays, run an old banger, and have to work all the overtime they can to survive. It all appears so easy to me, so where have all these other people gone so wrong ?

1. You earn wages - many people, such as myself, only earn money irregularly. This makes it extremely difficult to budget.
2. You earn GOOD wages - I earn about 7% OF the average wage in my country (93% below) measured annually AT BEST, significantly less than the "minimum wage" and the "unemployment benefit". Yes, it's possible to just be poor. All kinds of reasons for that too.
3. Cost of living. It can be very circumstantial. Some nations you can live in comfortably for $1/day.
4. Disasters happen. Not just natural disasters, but for example, some people's houses will get termites, others won't. It isn't always easy to control for everything that can go wrong.
5. You have a dual income. This makes it significantly easier to meet fixed costs, ie a 2-bedroom house is marginally cheaper than a 1-bedroom house.
6. You have to consider inequality in your country. Average wages tell you little of the real costs and income of the median person.

Those are just 6 reasons to start you off...
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 11:23:06 PM
At 6/5/2015 7:10:38 AM, Wylted wrote:

I tip extremely well, but I'm mostly talking about shitty restaurants that don't require tip, you know fast food like subway, McDonalds etc. heart attack food. You can do what the op said in the Unoted States. Even people that consider themselves poor, typically have access to cable, microwave plenty of food a car etc. being poor in the United States isn't like being poor in many other countries.

yessssssssssssss

I love heart attack food
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 11:28:51 PM
At 6/5/2015 11:23:06 PM, 16kadams wrote:

yessssssssssssss

I love heart attack food

Really helps with your n0$c0p3 accuracy ain't it m8
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 11:30:30 PM
At 6/5/2015 11:28:51 PM, RevNge wrote:

yessssssssssssss

I love heart attack food

Increases hitpoints
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 11:41:00 PM
At 6/5/2015 11:30:30 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 6/5/2015 11:28:51 PM, RevNge wrote:

yessssssssssssss

I love heart attack food

Increases hitpoints

Instant tank food bruh...it's even better than a NAd3$h0t
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 12:32:39 AM

yessssssssssssss

I love heart attack food

I'll be dead at 40, but I die in the end anyway so whatever