Jump to topic:

INTERVIEW with DEBATABLILITY and THETT

Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 11:29:09 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I conducted this interview between the two candidates for DDO presidency on June 2, 2015. We apologize for the interview being slightly outdated because of the recent events concerning the mobile update.

1.How do you plan to increase the amount of serious debate/debaters on the site and decrease the amount of trolls and/or spammers?

Debatability: Trolls and spammers are something that the president doesn't really have the power to deal with. As for increasing the amount of serious debates, look to the revised tournament system I have proposed. Under this system, tournaments will be held bi-monthly instead of monthly, meaning a decrease in burn out and an increase in quality content. Additionally, thett and I will be trying to increase the number of live debates that take place. This can happen either through a tournament or through a weekly/bi-weekly live debate.

Increasing the number of serious debaters can happen through new member outreach. The beginner"s tournament has been extremely helpful. I will make sure it continues, and reform the system to be more like the beginners mafia system. This means beginner"s tournaments will not be monthly; rather, when one ends, a new one will start. Those running the tournaments can reach out to those active in the opinions and polls section, which helps the site gain more serious debaters.
Thett: We're already seeing the beginnings of this. We're encouraging quality discussion through the topic of the week feature, and I think Liz's plan for tournaments will revitalize them. Tournaments aren't attracting enough interest because there's too much saturation, having a bimonthly tournament is ideal because it still allows it to be a regular community event while spacing the time in between long enough for interest to be generated--there would only be three per presidential term. Spammers/trolls are really something that only the mods can handle.

2.If you had the power to change three things on DDO, what would you change?

Debatability: Firstly, I would change the mobile update. However, Juggle is in the process of working on it right now which is extremely exciting. Secondly, I would change the front page. The way the front page is formatted is a huge turn off to users looking to potentially join the site. A front page that emphasizes quality debates over debates with lots of comments will cause DDO to gain more quality debaters. The trollish opinions/polls and debates that are displayed on the front page currently may make it hard for potential users to take this site seriously. Lastly, I would provide the option to tag people in posts.
All my potential changes are technological because those changes seem to be the hardest to make, given Juggle's status with DDO.

Thett: I would fix the mobile update, it's really that simple. Other changes that are needed include changing the homepage format--it used to be almost entirely debates, not it shows a mere handful and the algorithm to determine which debates make the main page is just really bad because it so heavily weighs comments. The site needs to emphasize its debates more, that's what makes it so unique.

3.If you could start your DDO career over, what would you do differently?

Debatability: I wish I did more debates. However, I've only been here for a year, and there's plenty of time for me to debate some more serious users.

Thett: Less stupid debates, most of my early losses are because I tried to defend cringe worthy resolutions

4.What do you think makes you stand out from the other candidates?

Debatability: We have an extremely realistic platform which is appealing because juggle is hard to work with. That's why we haven't focused on much technological improvement outside of the mobile update. As we ideally gain ground with Juggle, we will bring more and more ideas to the table. Overall, our platform focuses on things we can control - community development.

There's something to be said about the continuity of an administration. The longer someone has as president, the more time they have to let their programs and legacy develop. I have been vice president of this site for almost five months, and president for about half a month. I have assisted in instituting the new tournament system, and I recently revived the topics of the week program. Juggle has a means of contacting me. Electing me insures a very stable transition from one election period to another.

Thett: There are a lot of reasons why Liz is a great candidate, but here's the big thing: our platform is almost entirely focused on community development. We can, and will, keep our promises. I wasn't being political when I was saying that I can easily envision a Juggle technician reluctantly agreeing to take another look at the site, seeing a massive list of requested updates, and then closing the window. The big issue here that needs to be addressed is the mobile update...everything else in regards to Juggle is so incredibly tangential. Clarity of purpose is incredibly important. We want Juggle to change the mobile update, and it's a lot more likely we can convince them to do so when that's all we're initially asking for as opposed to an entire list. Anything else is just gravy.

5.What are the three most important skills that you think that you can bring to this site as President/Vice President?

Debatability: Firstly, I think thett and I work extremely well together. We also both have a strong relationship with Airmax. This is extremely important because thett and I will always be able to bounce ideas for site improvement off each other, and Airmax is always open to discussing things with us. Secondly, we set extremely achievable goals for the site in the way of community development. Working on facilitating quality debates, forum discussions, and RFD's is the most important thing to us. Our goals can all be achieved without Juggle. Lastly, I have to agree with the balance of old and new. I know many of the newer members that thett might not be familiar with. Thett is familiar with many of the older members who may not know me well.

Thett: I'm Thett and she's Liz, what more could you possibly need? No, but in all seriousness, the number one thing I think is realism. We know that Juggle has no interest in this site outside of how it affects their bottom line, so we're going to make our pitch to Juggle based on that. DDO gains revenue through advertisements, which can't be seen under the new mobile format. It really is that simple, and a pitch like that is a million times more effective than impassioned pleas based on our love for the site. Moreover, both Liz and I (and our opponents, credit where credit is due) care a lot about the primary purpose of this site: debate. This is something that's unfortunately forgotten by a lot of members, the social stuff is fun and the community is great but the focus of our administration with regards to community development will be debate centric. Thirdly, I think we strike a really great balance between old and new. I'm a long established member, and most of the older members know me very well indeed but not so much the younger ones. I'm the element of stability. Liz on the other hand is right in the sweet spot for a presidential candidate with her time on the site being about the same as Airmax's was when he first ran. She's an influential and beloved member of the community, in touch yet well established.

6.How do you perform under pressure?

Debatability: Usually pretty well. As long as I'm prepared, I perform well with pressure.

Thett: Pretty well. It doesn't feel like it at the time but the result is usually better when I'm pressured.

7.What action will you take if one of your community programs fails? For example; if the Topics of the Week program falls apart, will you give up on it and move onto something else or will you continue to work on the dead program?

(continued)
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 11:29:58 AM
Debatability: It totally depends. If the topic of the week program failed because nobody liked it, then we'd get rid of it. However, if it seemed to be doing poorly because there wasn't enough time to let the discussion develop, we would reform it in a way that would spur discussion for longer periods of time. (Bi weekly/monthly topics) This concept applies to almost every community project. The action that should be taken depends entirely on why a certain project fails.

Thett: That's a question that's totally depends on the context. Why did it fail? If it failed because it was just a bad idea, scrap it. If it failed because of some implementation error, that can be fixed.

8.How do you respond to opposition?

Debatability: It depends on the opposition. In the case of this election, thett and I believe the competition between candidates is a good thing as it will spur quality discussion over how the site ought to be improved.

Thett: Competition is healthy as long as it doesn't go overboard. I wouldn't want us to be unopposed.

Liz and Thett will make formidable candidates: both personalities and traits balance and feed off each other. I wish them the best of luck in the election.

Interview with Bsh1 and Zaradi:
http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 5:08:56 PM
If the candidates want to do a real interview with some actual tough questions that are in people's heads, but they're afraid to say due to fear of being shunned than you can PM me and have that done. The resistance to do anything other than fluff pieces is annoying and none of the fluff pieces actually answer questions that people have.

Reading interviews where both sets of candidates give the same sets of answers is boring and pointless.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 5:13:53 PM
At 6/5/2015 5:08:56 PM, Wylted wrote:
If the candidates want to do a real interview with some actual tough questions that are in people's heads, but they're afraid to say due to fear of being shunned than you can PM me and have that done. The resistance to do anything other than fluff pieces is annoying and none of the fluff pieces actually answer questions that people have.

Reading interviews where both sets of candidates give the same sets of answers is boring and pointless.

ok... how was this fluff pieces?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 5:15:21 PM
At 6/5/2015 5:13:53 PM, Hayd wrote:

Name one question you asked that made them uncomfortable or afraid of asking.

This isn't journalism.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 5:16:23 PM

No offense to you. This is a decent interview and the status quo, but it's useless in helping voters with the decision making process.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 5:25:37 PM
At 6/5/2015 5:15:21 PM, Wylted wrote:

This isn't journalism.

What you are saying is completely true, and I respect you saying it. Its just that I wasn't intending to ask the "tough questions" or do legitimate journalism. I was just doing a casual interview with some questions, I wasn't intending for it to be hard.

I look forward to you asking tough questions and am interested in helping you. If not, I cant wait until you post your interviews.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 5:29:20 PM
At 6/5/2015 5:25:37 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 6/5/2015 5:15:21 PM, Wylted wrote:

This isn't journalism.

What you are saying is completely true, and I respect you saying it. Its just that I wasn't intending to ask the "tough questions" or do legitimate journalism. I was just doing a casual interview with some questions, I wasn't intending for it to be hard.

I look forward to you asking tough questions and am interested in helping you. If not, I cant wait until you post your interviews.

I've already been in a PM with somebody to remedy the situation. Thank you.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 8:54:09 PM
I really don't see the point in these interviews... There's barely ever any variance between the answers candidates give. In fact, as a whole, the platforms only differ very marginally. It's basically a popularity contest, as it has always been.

Like, why did you ask "how do you do under pressure"? Who the hell is going to answer "badly"?
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 9:14:26 PM
At 6/5/2015 8:54:09 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
I really don't see the point in these interviews... There's barely ever any variance between the answers candidates give. In fact, as a whole, the platforms only differ very marginally. It's basically a popularity contest, as it has always been.

Like, why did you ask "how do you do under pressure"? Who the hell is going to answer "badly"?

That's very true, I just hoped that the candidates would be mature enough to answer the questions honestly.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 9:17:27 PM
At 6/5/2015 9:14:26 PM, Hayd wrote:
I thought it was a job well done :-)
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.