Jump to topic:

Presidential Update (and other info)

debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 2:05:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm using this post for a few purposes because I'm not a fan of cluttering up the DDO forum with a bunch of threads that are all loosely related. I'll talk a bit about what is going on with juggle and provide some updates on how the projects I am currently working on are going. I'll address several concerns that have come up pertaining to my platform and pertaining to views I have expressed in the past. I know, it's a lot so bear with me.

Juggle
We are very pleased to find out that Juggle is working on the mobile update. The work they have put towards the mobile update shows that Juggle is willing to work on an update until it is finished. Right now they are in the optimization process, which takes some time. It is important to remember to be as patient as possible because working through all the kinks caused by the update will take time. I am excited to see how the winner of the next election (no matter who it may be) will work with Juggle and airmax to continue the improvement we have been seeing.

Topics of the Week
You can still sign up to write a topic of the week! The concept is pretty simple. Members write OP's about subjects that interest them. The OP's they write are stickied for a week to facilitate quality discussion. Look at the religion, philosophy, politics, and economics forum; there are all topics of the week in those forums.
I made a sign up thread in my first presidential update. Please sign up there if you are interested in writing a topic: http://www.debate.org...
If you would like to see what type of topics are coming up in the future, look here: http://www.debate.org...

Live Debates
I think the problem with elections is that the entirety of DDO shifts away from intellectual discussion, and spends over a month solely looking at potential candidates and how to improve the site. To a certain extent, this is a good thing because it's nice to look at ways to improve the site, but it deflects people's attention away from the purpose of this site - debate and discussion over intellectual topics. Over the next week I'd like to arrange a few live debates. Live debates are great because they bring the whole community together. They take place in hangouts and allow for large amounts of discussion directly after the debate as well as in the form of RFD's. If this interests you, please contact me.

Beginner's Tournament
The June beginner's tournament is being set up smoothly, and many members have signed up. The unique thing about this tournament is that I recruited many members from the opinions and polls section that have few real debates, yet show promise as potentially very active debaters. I am excited to see how this tournament will play out. If you are interested in mentoring, please contact me! I am hoping to have the tournament up and running in a few days.

Now, I'll move on to addressing a fairly important concern that many members have brought up to me.

My Views on the Presidency
Around five or six months ago, I made this thread: http://www.debate.org...
The thread was me expressing my views on the presidency, and why it ought to be abolished. I believed that the president ought to be replaced with a "juggle representative" who would only be in charge of communicating with juggle.
Since then, my views have clearly changed. I was vice president for almost five months, and have been president for around half a month now. This has taught me the purpose of having a president, regardless of juggle's activity at the time.

The president does have a certain degree of power. A good example of this would be my dealings with the tournament system. I would have never been able to institute a monthly tournament system had I not been vice president. Likewise, I won't be able to reform the tournament system to bi monthly if I am not elected.
As a regular member, I have some degree of influence. I can contact the president or airmax and express my concerns. I can make a thread that asks members what they think about the tournament system. However, I can't actually *change* anything. That is up to airmax and the president.
Essentially, the president is not only the person charged with communicating the site's concerns to juggle but also the person charged with communicating the sites concerns to airmax and doing something about it.

In my thread, I remember saying something like this, "It's better to have regular members facilitate tournaments / forum programs / member outreach / voting groups." This is completely true, however I have learned that a president is necessary for such programs to be created in an organized manner. A president works on a tournament system, a topic of the week system, a member outreach system, and a voting group. The president should then put these projects into the hands of regular members, and make sure everything goes smoothly. If there is no president, the site is forced to count on regular members to do all of the following things which simply isn't realistic because there is no organization.

The concerns that members have expressed towards my thoughts in the past make sense, but the thread I created isn't something to worry about because my views have changed through experiences I have had on this site that I believe will help me become a better president.

Tomorrow, I will be making a video or a thread where I compare my platform to BSH's. I will talk about the key differences and why they matter. Thanks so much for reading!
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 4:04:58 PM
At 6/6/2015 2:05:51 PM, debatability wrote:

Can you list out the stuff you did over the past 5 and a half months under Ore_Ele and on your own? When you realized that Ore was not doing anything at all, did you take it upon yourself to do the job you thought he was supposed to do?
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 4:22:10 PM
You seem to make a distinction between what a regular member can do and what a president can do. In effect, you seem to be saying that a regular member must work through Max, so they're just subject to his whims and are unable to do things independently of him (which I agree with). What I don't understand, however, is how you can justify the presidency having any more power in itself. Is it not true that all of your requests for "official" activities must go through Max first if they are to have any qualities that are different than those of any random thread (e.g. stickiness, exclusivity, etc.)? If you're still wholly dependent on him, isn't he the de facto president, as his word is final and determines whether your ideas are able to accomplish anything?

Even if the president has more sway with Max, it's still just that - sway. It's influence, not the ability to actually act.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty
CookieMonster9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 1:15:39 AM
Tournament? What's it on.
Hello everybody having a good day? I just wanted to let you know that there is a new type of game called "What would you do?" where I post scenarios and you put down what you would do. To get in on this go to http://www.debate.org... , read the rules, and put in your answer!

I'm not here to start an argument, I'm just here so I can gain more knowledge about the world and feed my mind knowledge that you can't really get as much as you wish you could in life. -CM
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 11:21:46 AM
At 6/6/2015 4:04:58 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Can you list out the stuff you did over the past 5 and a half months under Ore_Ele and on your own? When you realized that Ore was not doing anything at all, did you take it upon yourself to do the job you thought he was supposed to do?

At the beginning of Ore's presidency, Ore and I worked on creating a new system for tournaments that would make tournaments monthly (both beginner and regular). Aside from discussions about the status of juggle, there wasn't much that took place. It's kind of difficult to be active as a vice president when the president is so inactive. I wish I had done more, but now that I have a bit more influence as president, I have the chance to work on some of the projects I should have during Ore's administration.
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 11:29:55 AM
At 6/6/2015 4:22:10 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
You seem to make a distinction between what a regular member can do and what a president can do. In effect, you seem to be saying that a regular member must work through Max, so they're just subject to his whims and are unable to do things independently of him (which I agree with). What I don't understand, however, is how you can justify the presidency having any more power in itself. Is it not true that all of your requests for "official" activities must go through Max first if they are to have any qualities that are different than those of any random thread (e.g. stickiness, exclusivity, etc.)? If you're still wholly dependent on him, isn't he the de facto president, as his word is final and determines whether your ideas are able to accomplish anything?

The president executes and comes up with the ideas, not airmax. Technically, I could make topics of the week or institute voting programs without airmax. However, it's almost always better to have airmax involved because he assists by taking measures that only a moderator can take.

Moderators have more "power" than a president, but the president is still important. It's unrealistic to expect airmax to come up with community building projects, institute them, and carry them all out on his own because he already has so many duties as a moderator. Think about it; airmax's job is so fast that he had to recruit assistant mods like bladerunner and bluesteel.

Having a president that is charged with communicating with people to come up with community building activities and then carrying out the activities makes airmax's job much easier. Look back to literally any relatively inactive administration. There's not a single one where a group of people did as much for DDO as a single *committed* president could do in the area of community building.

Even if the president has more sway with Max, it's still just that - sway. It's influence, not the ability to actually act.
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 11:30:30 AM
At 6/7/2015 1:15:39 AM, CookieMonster9 wrote:

It's the beginners tournament for members with less than 2500 elo or less than 10 debates. If you qualify, please join!
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 11:51:35 AM
At 6/7/2015 11:29:55 AM, debatability wrote:

The president executes and comes up with the ideas, not airmax. Technically, I could make topics of the week or institute voting programs without airmax. However, it's almost always better to have airmax involved because he assists by taking measures that only a moderator can take.
If you make a topic of the week without Airmax, it would be the exact same as if I did - there would be nothing unique about the system. If you do involve Airmax, he's the one who gives the final approval to the project, so he's the one making the real difference.
Moderators have more "power" than a president, but the president is still important. It's unrealistic to expect airmax to come up with community building projects, institute them, and carry them all out on his own because he already has so many duties as a moderator. Think about it; airmax's job is so fast that he had to recruit assistant mods like bladerunner and bluesteel.

Having a president that is charged with communicating with people to come up with community building activities and then carrying out the activities makes airmax's job much easier. Look back to literally any relatively inactive administration. There's not a single one where a group of people did as much for DDO as a single *committed* president could do in the area of community building.
I totally agree that Max can't do all of this by himself. What I don't see the point in, however, is arbitrarily naming a member president - the only *unique* power the president has is the power to sway Airmax more effectively than the average member, and this advantage diminishes when you compare the president to someone close to Max in the first place. Even if the president has unmatched pull, Max is still the one to give the final decision, and he will *only* approve something if he thinks that it's a good idea, regardless of who comes up with it.

The only difference between the president and any other member is that the president is generally viewed as holding the same views as the majority of active users, thus allowing Max to judge consensus. However, that's not actual power - it's just equivalent to the result of a poll. The president has no more actual motive power in themself. They can only suggest things to Max with a greater chance of him listening, which shatters the illusion that they can actually do anything independently .

"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty
CookieMonster9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 11:55:29 AM
At 6/7/2015 11:30:30 AM, debatability wrote:

It's the beginners tournament for members with less than 2500 elo or less than 10 debates. If you qualify, please join!

I think I do, but what is it the tournament on, are we debating?
Hello everybody having a good day? I just wanted to let you know that there is a new type of game called "What would you do?" where I post scenarios and you put down what you would do. To get in on this go to http://www.debate.org... , read the rules, and put in your answer!

I'm not here to start an argument, I'm just here so I can gain more knowledge about the world and feed my mind knowledge that you can't really get as much as you wish you could in life. -CM
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 12:49:07 PM
I'm using this post for a few purposes because I'm not a fan of cluttering up the DDO forum with a bunch of threads that are all loosely related. I'll talk a bit about what is going on with juggle and provide some updates on how the projects I am currently working on are going. I'll address several concerns that have come up pertaining to my platform and pertaining to views I have expressed in the past. I know, it's a lot so bear with me.

Juggle
We are very pleased to find out that Juggle is working on the mobile update. The work they have put towards the mobile update shows that Juggle is willing to work on an update until it is finished. Right now they are in the optimization process, which takes some time. It is important to remember to be as patient as possible because working through all the kinks caused by the update will take time. I am excited to see how the winner of the next election (no matter who it may be) will work with Juggle and airmax to continue the improvement we have been seeing.

Ask if, later in the summer, they will redo the political candidates and issues. Candidates for sure.

Topics of the Week
You can still sign up to write a topic of the week! The concept is pretty simple. Members write OP's about subjects that interest them. The OP's they write are stickied for a week to facilitate quality discussion. Look at the religion, philosophy, politics, and economics forum; there are all topics of the week in those forums.
I made a sign up thread in my first presidential update. Please sign up there if you are interested in writing a topic: http://www.debate.org...
If you would like to see what type of topics are coming up in the future, look here: http://www.debate.org...

Live Debates
I think the problem with elections is that the entirety of DDO shifts away from intellectual discussion, and spends over a month solely looking at potential candidates and how to improve the site. To a certain extent, this is a good thing because it's nice to look at ways to improve the site, but it deflects people's attention away from the purpose of this site - debate and discussion over intellectual topics. Over the next week I'd like to arrange a few live debates. Live debates are great because they bring the whole community together. They take place in hangouts and allow for large amounts of discussion directly after the debate as well as in the form of RFD's. If this interests you, please contact me.

Beginner's Tournament
The June beginner's tournament is being set up smoothly, and many members have signed up. The unique thing about this tournament is that I recruited many members from the opinions and polls section that have few real debates, yet show promise as potentially very active debaters. I am excited to see how this tournament will play out. If you are interested in mentoring, please contact me! I am hoping to have the tournament up and running in a few days.

Now, I'll move on to addressing a fairly important concern that many members have brought up to me.

My Views on the Presidency
Around five or six months ago, I made this thread: http://www.debate.org...
The thread was me expressing my views on the presidency, and why it ought to be abolished. I believed that the president ought to be replaced with a "juggle representative" who would only be in charge of communicating with juggle.
Since then, my views have clearly changed. I was vice president for almost five months, and have been president for around half a month now. This has taught me the purpose of having a president, regardless of juggle's activity at the time.

The president does have a certain degree of power. A good example of this would be my dealings with the tournament system. I would have never been able to institute a monthly tournament system had I not been vice president. Likewise, I won't be able to reform the tournament system to bi monthly if I am not elected.
As a regular member, I have some degree of influence. I can contact the president or airmax and express my concerns. I can make a thread that asks members what they think about the tournament system. However, I can't actually *change* anything. That is up to airmax and the president.
Essentially, the president is not only the person charged with communicating the site's concerns to juggle but also the person charged with communicating the sites concerns to airmax and doing something about it.

In my thread, I remember saying something like this, "It's better to have regular members facilitate tournaments / forum programs / member outreach / voting groups." This is completely true, however I have learned that a president is necessary for such programs to be created in an organized manner. A president works on a tournament system, a topic of the week system, a member outreach system, and a voting group. The president should then put these projects into the hands of regular members, and make sure everything goes smoothly. If there is no president, the site is forced to count on regular members to do all of the following things which simply isn't realistic because there is no organization.

The concerns that members have expressed towards my thoughts in the past make sense, but the thread I created isn't something to worry about because my views have changed through experiences I have had on this site that I believe will help me become a better president.

Tomorrow, I will be making a video or a thread where I compare my platform to BSH's. I will talk about the key differences and why they matter. Thanks so much for reading!
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 9:59:05 PM
At 6/7/2015 11:55:29 AM, CookieMonster9 wrote:

you can debate literally anything
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 10:01:27 PM
At 6/8/2015 9:59:05 PM, debatability wrote:

So you can debate Debateability vs. Bsh? ;D
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 10:03:30 PM
At 6/8/2015 10:01:27 PM, RevNge wrote:

debatability
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 10:06:48 PM

yes; feel free
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 10:11:05 PM
At 6/7/2015 11:51:35 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 6/7/2015 11:29:55 AM, debatability wrote:

If you make a topic of the week without Airmax, it would be the exact same as if I did - there would be nothing unique about the system. If you do involve Airmax, he's the one who gives the final approval to the project, so he's the one making the real difference.

Here's the thing. Regular members don't have the drive to institute multiple community building projects. Like I said before, very little gets done during inactive administrations. This means that it is preferable to have a president whose specific duty is formulating programs like topics of the week and more.

I totally agree that Max can't do all of this by himself. What I don't see the point in, however, is arbitrarily naming a member president - the only *unique* power the president has is the power to sway Airmax more effectively than the average member, and this advantage diminishes when you compare the president to someone close to Max in the first place. Even if the president has unmatched pull, Max is still the one to give the final decision, and he will *only* approve something if he thinks that it's a good idea, regardless of who comes up with it.

Naming one member president gives them a sense of responsibility that facilitates productivity. I'm naturally going to do more as president when working with thett than I would as a regular member. I'd be equally active, but as a normal member I would be working on debating and discussion. As a president, I'd be working on facilitating debate and discussion. Normal members generally choose the former which is why a president is good.

The only difference between the president and any other member is that the president is generally viewed as holding the same views as the majority of active users, thus allowing Max to judge consensus. However, that's not actual power - it's just equivalent to the result of a poll. The president has no more actual motive power in themself. They can only suggest things to Max with a greater chance of him listening, which shatters the illusion that they can actually do anything independently.

CookieMonster9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 11:27:49 PM

That's pretty cool. When is it because I may go over the limit here pretty soon.

debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 11:30:55 PM
At 6/8/2015 11:27:49 PM, CookieMonster9 wrote:

That's pretty cool. When is it because I may go over the limit here pretty soon.

It's occuring in a few days. Do you want me to sign you up?
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 11:32:39 PM
At 6/8/2015 10:06:48 PM, debatability wrote:

yes; feel free

I might sign up, actually.
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 11:35:38 PM
At 6/8/2015 11:32:39 PM, RevNge wrote:

yes; feel free

cookiemonster would be given precedence because he is newer, but if he doesn't join, you totally can
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 11:36:59 PM
At 6/8/2015 11:35:38 PM, debatability wrote:

yes; feel free

cookiemonster would be given precedence because he is newer, but if he doesn't join, you totally can

</3
CookieMonster9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 11:39:04 PM
At 6/8/2015 11:30:55 PM, debatability wrote:

Who decides what topic we are debating?

debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 11:40:55 PM
At 6/8/2015 11:39:04 PM, CookieMonster9 wrote:
At 6/8/2015 11:30:55 PM, debatability wrote:

Who decides what topic we are debating?

you and your partner agree on a topic. generally troll topics are discouraged.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 11:44:49 PM
At 6/8/2015 10:11:05 PM, debatability wrote:

So, in other words, an arbitrary title makes or breaks your will to help the site? You would just do nothing unless you got votes?

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 11:48:07 PM
At 6/8/2015 11:44:49 PM, ShabShoral wrote:

So, in other words, an arbitrary title makes or breaks your will to help the site? You would just do nothing unless you got votes?

No that's a huge misrepresentation of my viewpoint. The thing is that bsh and i's platforms overlap to such an extent that if I didn't win the election I would do more good for the site if I simply worked on my debating and discussion skills as opposed to facilitating community development projects. I'd hope to continue topics of the week myself and run some tournaments though.

I don't lose my will to help the site if I lose; however, the *way* I help the site changes a bit if i lose.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 11:52:49 PM
At 6/8/2015 11:48:07 PM, debatability wrote:

No that's a huge misrepresentation of my viewpoint. The thing is that bsh and i's platforms overlap to such an extent that if I didn't win the election I would do more good for the site if I simply worked on my debating and discussion skills as opposed to facilitating community development projects. I'd hope to continue topics of the week myself and run some tournaments though.

I don't lose my will to help the site if I lose; however, the *way* I help the site changes a bit if i lose.

Do you think that you'd do a better job than BSH? If not, why even run? If so, then obviously letting BSH have complete control is suboptimal.

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 11:56:39 PM
At 6/8/2015 11:52:49 PM, ShabShoral wrote:

Do you think that you'd do a better job than BSH? If not, why even run? If so, then obviously letting BSH have complete control is suboptimal.

I believe that my plan to work with juggle is much more realistic that BSH's. I also think that my approach towards voting is more pragmatic. I'm going to make a thread/video about all that as soon as I can.

If I lose, I don't have any say in the situation with juggle, and there's nothing I can do about what bsh decides to implement. I can only contribute in ways that any normal user can. Like I said, I'd run a few tourneys and ideally run topics of the week/month/whatever is decided.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 11:58:06 PM
At 6/8/2015 11:56:39 PM, debatability wrote:
At 6/8/2015 11:52:49 PM, ShabShoral wrote:

I believe that my plan to work with juggle is much more realistic that BSH's. I also think that my approach towards voting is more pragmatic. I'm going to make a thread/video about all that as soon as I can.

If I lose, I don't have any say in the situation with juggle, and there's nothing I can do about what bsh decides to implement. I can only contribute in ways that any normal user can. Like I said, I'd run a few tourneys and ideally run topics of the week/month/whatever is decided.

So, in effect, literally the only important issue in this election is over Juggle, correct?

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty
CookieMonster9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 12:04:12 AM
At 6/8/2015 11:36:59 PM, RevNge wrote:

yes; feel free

</3

I have some disagreement with that. RevNge I made my account five months before you and debatability we joined about at the same time, so I don't know why you are saying that I am new, actually logistics say that by saying that I am new you are saying that you are new at the same time. Try that on for size. And no if RevNge wants it he can have it.

debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 12:08:55 AM
At 6/9/2015 12:04:12 AM, CookieMonster9 wrote:
At 6/8/2015 11:36:59 PM, RevNge wrote:

yes; feel free

</3

I have some disagreement with that. RevNge I made my account five months before you and debatability we joined about at the same time, so I don't know why you are saying that I am new, actually logistics say that by saying that I am new you are saying that you are new at the same time. Try that on for size. And no if RevNge wants it he can have it.

Rev has had multiple other accounts before this, so you are newer than he is.