Total Posts:92|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

DDO is not Unique

Daktoria
Posts: 497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 10:06:59 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
A lot of people here seem to be wondering what can be done to reinvigorate the community.

Most if not all debate communities die over time because for the most part, those who debate on them are not affluent or successful people in real life. These are people who are looking for something else to do aside from being productive. These are not people who are productive, nor looking for a way to spread their ideology on production to make the world a better place.

Some debate because they're lazy bums and are trying to do anything aside from being productive.

Others debate because they're trying to rationalize why they're not productive.

Even others debate because they were productive, but someone got in their way, so they're trying to change the world to secure productivity.

The bottomline is communities need sustenance, and sustenance needs productivity.

If you want a community to thrive, then you need to get your hands dirty and truly ask, "What does it mean to be productive?"

To be clear, this doesn't necessarily mean, "What does it mean to be useful?" Being useful simply refers to what can be consumed. Asking this question can still lead to an emptiness of support because you still end up with lazy bums getting away with not actually contributing to their community. Instead, they simply pressure others to contribute.
Garbanza
Posts: 1,997
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 10:19:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
It's true. I come on here because I should be doing something meaningful and productive and I don't want to or something. It's pure procrastination. I know that but I don't stop. But I figure it's better than illicit drugs. But not as good as cleaning obsessively. Somewhere in the middle. Actually, it's bad. I should stop. :(
CookieMonster9
Posts: 220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 12:13:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/7/2015 10:06:59 AM, Daktoria wrote:
A lot of people here seem to be wondering what can be done to reinvigorate the community.

Most if not all debate communities die over time because for the most part, those who debate on them are not affluent or successful people in real life. These are people who are looking for something else to do aside from being productive. These are not people who are productive, nor looking for a way to spread their ideology on production to make the world a better place.

Some debate because they're lazy bums and are trying to do anything aside from being productive.

Others debate because they're trying to rationalize why they're not productive.

Even others debate because they were productive, but someone got in their way, so they're trying to change the world to secure productivity.

The bottomline is communities need sustenance, and sustenance needs productivity.

If you want a community to thrive, then you need to get your hands dirty and truly ask, "What does it mean to be productive?"

To be clear, this doesn't necessarily mean, "What does it mean to be useful?" Being useful simply refers to what can be consumed. Asking this question can still lead to an emptiness of support because you still end up with lazy bums getting away with not actually contributing to their community. Instead, they simply pressure others to contribute.

I believe that there is some truth to that but let me ask you, is debating bad? No it's not, if people are not productive (which is what you are stating) then this is a way better option then playing Advanced Warfare or sitting around. And I don't know how many people here are not productive but I like to think that I am productive.

a) I attend a religion
b) I am in a scout group
c) I have a job
d) I have plans for the summer (camp) which I got all the money for by working
e) I debate
f) I ride my bike

I don't know about the other people on this site but I am pretty productive for a 14 year old. This is not my main point though.

My main point is debating is not unproductive, debating can open and strengthen your mind to be able to rebut and debate in real life situations, it gives you an edge when someone disagrees with an opinion or a decision you make. It teaches skills that you will learn in the future. I have been on this website for about a year now and I believe that all it has done has helped me learn skills that I never thought I would learn. Also this place gives a friendly environment and when I have had a bad debate there is usually someone there giving me tips or telling me not to give up. And I would like to think that the people on here are productive.

a) we are having elections for a president
b) we are having tournaments
c) we are trying to stop problems such as trolling and spamming

This doesn't sound like an unproductive website as you say it is. I see there are people on here that don't do anything but talk about dumb stuff, but there are plenty of people on here that have been debating and making this website better.

-CookieMonster9
Hello everybody having a good day? I just wanted to let you know that there is a new type of game called "What would you do?" where I post scenarios and you put down what you would do. To get in on this go to http://www.debate.org... , read the rules, and put in your answer!

I'm not here to start an argument, I'm just here so I can gain more knowledge about the world and feed my mind knowledge that you can't really get as much as you wish you could in life. -CM
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 12:20:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
If you don't like the site and/or it's people, leave.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Raisor
Posts: 4,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 12:28:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/7/2015 10:06:59 AM, Daktoria wrote:
A lot of people here seem to be wondering what can be done to reinvigorate the community.

Most if not all debate communities die over time because for the most part, those who debate on them are not affluent or successful people in real life. These are people who are looking for something else to do aside from being productive. These are not people who are productive, nor looking for a way to spread their ideology on production to make the world a better place.

Some debate because they're lazy bums and are trying to do anything aside from being productive.

Others debate because they're trying to rationalize why they're not productive.

Even others debate because they were productive, but someone got in their way, so they're trying to change the world to secure productivity.

The bottomline is communities need sustenance, and sustenance needs productivity.

If you want a community to thrive, then you need to get your hands dirty and truly ask, "What does it mean to be productive?"

To be clear, this doesn't necessarily mean, "What does it mean to be useful?" Being useful simply refers to what can be consumed. Asking this question can still lead to an emptiness of support because you still end up with lazy bums getting away with not actually contributing to their community. Instead, they simply pressure others to contribute.

I can't follow the argument you are trying to make.

Are you saying people on debate sites are unsuccessful, which means they are generally lazy and so are lazy about contributing to the site? That's an amazingly dumb argument, but I'll let someone else address it.

I'll just address the bizarre claim that people who debate are not affluent or successful in real life. This just betrays your ignorance of what the members of this community are actually like. The vast majority are students in high school or college who haven't had a chance to be come "affluent"- you categorization doesn't even apply to them. Most of those students are pretty smart and take academics seriously, I don't know why you assume they are lazy. The adults with jobs cut across a wide demographic- there are members who have run their own business, work service industry jobs, are involved with organized labor, have blue and white collar jobs, etc. Lots of different people use DDO for a lot of different reasons.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 12:31:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The Master said, "Hard is it to deal with who will stuff himself with food the whole day, without applying his mind to anything good! Are there not gamesters and chess players? To be one of these would still be better than doing nothing at all." (Analects 17.22)

DDO version:

The Master said, "Hard is it to deal with who will stuff himself with food the whole day, without applying his mind to anything good! Are there not debaters and forum regulars? To be one of these would still be better than doing nothing at all." (DDO Analects 17.22)
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 12:47:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/7/2015 12:28:17 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 6/7/2015 10:06:59 AM, Daktoria wrote:
A lot of people here seem to be wondering what can be done to reinvigorate the community.

Most if not all debate communities die over time because for the most part, those who debate on them are not affluent or successful people in real life. These are people who are looking for something else to do aside from being productive. These are not people who are productive, nor looking for a way to spread their ideology on production to make the world a better place.

Some debate because they're lazy bums and are trying to do anything aside from being productive.

Others debate because they're trying to rationalize why they're not productive.

Even others debate because they were productive, but someone got in their way, so they're trying to change the world to secure productivity.

The bottomline is communities need sustenance, and sustenance needs productivity.

If you want a community to thrive, then you need to get your hands dirty and truly ask, "What does it mean to be productive?"

To be clear, this doesn't necessarily mean, "What does it mean to be useful?" Being useful simply refers to what can be consumed. Asking this question can still lead to an emptiness of support because you still end up with lazy bums getting away with not actually contributing to their community. Instead, they simply pressure others to contribute.

I can't follow the argument you are trying to make.

Are you saying people on debate sites are unsuccessful, which means they are generally lazy and so are lazy about contributing to the site? That's an amazingly dumb argument, but I'll let someone else address it.

I'll just address the bizarre claim that people who debate are not affluent or successful in real life. This just betrays your ignorance of what the members of this community are actually like. The vast majority are students in high school or college who haven't had a chance to be come "affluent"- you categorization doesn't even apply to them. Most of those students are pretty smart and take academics seriously, I don't know why you assume they are lazy. The adults with jobs cut across a wide demographic- there are members who have run their own business, work service industry jobs, are involved with organized labor, have blue and white collar jobs, etc. Lots of different people use DDO for a lot of different reasons.

I don't fit that criteria. F uck
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 1:04:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'd call this guy RM, but his account's been around for 5 years.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Romanii
Posts: 4,851
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 1:41:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/7/2015 12:47:43 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 6/7/2015 12:28:17 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 6/7/2015 10:06:59 AM, Daktoria wrote:
A lot of people here seem to be wondering what can be done to reinvigorate the community.

Most if not all debate communities die over time because for the most part, those who debate on them are not affluent or successful people in real life. These are people who are looking for something else to do aside from being productive. These are not people who are productive, nor looking for a way to spread their ideology on production to make the world a better place.

Some debate because they're lazy bums and are trying to do anything aside from being productive.

Others debate because they're trying to rationalize why they're not productive.

Even others debate because they were productive, but someone got in their way, so they're trying to change the world to secure productivity.

The bottomline is communities need sustenance, and sustenance needs productivity.

If you want a community to thrive, then you need to get your hands dirty and truly ask, "What does it mean to be productive?"

To be clear, this doesn't necessarily mean, "What does it mean to be useful?" Being useful simply refers to what can be consumed. Asking this question can still lead to an emptiness of support because you still end up with lazy bums getting away with not actually contributing to their community. Instead, they simply pressure others to contribute.

I can't follow the argument you are trying to make.

Are you saying people on debate sites are unsuccessful, which means they are generally lazy and so are lazy about contributing to the site? That's an amazingly dumb argument, but I'll let someone else address it.

I'll just address the bizarre claim that people who debate are not affluent or successful in real life. This just betrays your ignorance of what the members of this community are actually like. The vast majority are students in high school or college who haven't had a chance to be come "affluent"- you categorization doesn't even apply to them. Most of those students are pretty smart and take academics seriously, I don't know why you assume they are lazy. The adults with jobs cut across a wide demographic- there are members who have run their own business, work service industry jobs, are involved with organized labor, have blue and white collar jobs, etc. Lots of different people use DDO for a lot of different reasons.

I don't fit that criteria. F uck

Lmao you're going to freakin' Stanford over the summer... you'll be fine XD
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 2:36:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/7/2015 1:41:25 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 6/7/2015 12:47:43 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 6/7/2015 12:28:17 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 6/7/2015 10:06:59 AM, Daktoria wrote:
A lot of people here seem to be wondering what can be done to reinvigorate the community.

Most if not all debate communities die over time because for the most part, those who debate on them are not affluent or successful people in real life. These are people who are looking for something else to do aside from being productive. These are not people who are productive, nor looking for a way to spread their ideology on production to make the world a better place.

Some debate because they're lazy bums and are trying to do anything aside from being productive.

Others debate because they're trying to rationalize why they're not productive.

Even others debate because they were productive, but someone got in their way, so they're trying to change the world to secure productivity.

The bottomline is communities need sustenance, and sustenance needs productivity.

If you want a community to thrive, then you need to get your hands dirty and truly ask, "What does it mean to be productive?"

To be clear, this doesn't necessarily mean, "What does it mean to be useful?" Being useful simply refers to what can be consumed. Asking this question can still lead to an emptiness of support because you still end up with lazy bums getting away with not actually contributing to their community. Instead, they simply pressure others to contribute.

I can't follow the argument you are trying to make.

Are you saying people on debate sites are unsuccessful, which means they are generally lazy and so are lazy about contributing to the site? That's an amazingly dumb argument, but I'll let someone else address it.

I'll just address the bizarre claim that people who debate are not affluent or successful in real life. This just betrays your ignorance of what the members of this community are actually like. The vast majority are students in high school or college who haven't had a chance to be come "affluent"- you categorization doesn't even apply to them. Most of those students are pretty smart and take academics seriously, I don't know why you assume they are lazy. The adults with jobs cut across a wide demographic- there are members who have run their own business, work service industry jobs, are involved with organized labor, have blue and white collar jobs, etc. Lots of different people use DDO for a lot of different reasons.

I don't fit that criteria. F uck

Lmao you're going to freakin' Stanford over the summer... you'll be fine XD

My grades are still bad
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
RevNge
Posts: 13,835
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 3:44:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/7/2015 2:36:52 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 6/7/2015 1:41:25 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 6/7/2015 12:47:43 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 6/7/2015 12:28:17 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 6/7/2015 10:06:59 AM, Daktoria wrote:
A lot of people here seem to be wondering what can be done to reinvigorate the community.

Most if not all debate communities die over time because for the most part, those who debate on them are not affluent or successful people in real life. These are people who are looking for something else to do aside from being productive. These are not people who are productive, nor looking for a way to spread their ideology on production to make the world a better place.

Some debate because they're lazy bums and are trying to do anything aside from being productive.

Others debate because they're trying to rationalize why they're not productive.

Even others debate because they were productive, but someone got in their way, so they're trying to change the world to secure productivity.

The bottomline is communities need sustenance, and sustenance needs productivity.

If you want a community to thrive, then you need to get your hands dirty and truly ask, "What does it mean to be productive?"

To be clear, this doesn't necessarily mean, "What does it mean to be useful?" Being useful simply refers to what can be consumed. Asking this question can still lead to an emptiness of support because you still end up with lazy bums getting away with not actually contributing to their community. Instead, they simply pressure others to contribute.

I can't follow the argument you are trying to make.

Are you saying people on debate sites are unsuccessful, which means they are generally lazy and so are lazy about contributing to the site? That's an amazingly dumb argument, but I'll let someone else address it.

I'll just address the bizarre claim that people who debate are not affluent or successful in real life. This just betrays your ignorance of what the members of this community are actually like. The vast majority are students in high school or college who haven't had a chance to be come "affluent"- you categorization doesn't even apply to them. Most of those students are pretty smart and take academics seriously, I don't know why you assume they are lazy. The adults with jobs cut across a wide demographic- there are members who have run their own business, work service industry jobs, are involved with organized labor, have blue and white collar jobs, etc. Lots of different people use DDO for a lot of different reasons.

I don't fit that criteria. F uck

Lmao you're going to freakin' Stanford over the summer... you'll be fine XD

My grades are still bad

Screw grades
RevNge
Posts: 13,835
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 3:44:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/7/2015 10:06:59 AM, Daktoria wrote:
A lot of people here seem to be wondering what can be done to reinvigorate the community.

Most if not all debate communities die over time because for the most part, those who debate on them are not affluent or successful people in real life. These are people who are looking for something else to do aside from being productive. These are not people who are productive, nor looking for a way to spread their ideology on production to make the world a better place.

Some debate because they're lazy bums and are trying to do anything aside from being productive.

Others debate because they're trying to rationalize why they're not productive.

Even others debate because they were productive, but someone got in their way, so they're trying to change the world to secure productivity.

The bottomline is communities need sustenance, and sustenance needs productivity.

If you want a community to thrive, then you need to get your hands dirty and truly ask, "What does it mean to be productive?"

To be clear, this doesn't necessarily mean, "What does it mean to be useful?" Being useful simply refers to what can be consumed. Asking this question can still lead to an emptiness of support because you still end up with lazy bums getting away with not actually contributing to their community. Instead, they simply pressure others to contribute.

Go away
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 4:07:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/7/2015 10:06:59 AM, Daktoria wrote:
A lot of people here seem to be wondering what can be done to reinvigorate the community.

Most if not all debate communities die over time because for the most part, those who debate on them are not affluent or successful people in real life. These are people who are looking for something else to do aside from being productive. These are not people who are productive, nor looking for a way to spread their ideology on production to make the world a better place.

Untrue assumption.

Some debate because they're lazy bums and are trying to do anything aside from being productive.

Stupid assumption.

Others debate because they're trying to rationalize why they're not productive.

???

Even others debate because they were productive, but someone got in their way, so they're trying to change the world to secure productivity.

O.o

The bottomline is communities need sustenance, and sustenance needs productivity.

If you want a community to thrive, then you need to get your hands dirty and truly ask, "What does it mean to be productive?"

If you think it means leaving, please leave.

To be clear, this doesn't necessarily mean, "What does it mean to be useful?" Being useful simply refers to what can be consumed. Asking this question can still lead to an emptiness of support because you still end up with lazy bums getting away with not actually contributing to their community. Instead, they simply pressure others to contribute.

So what are you doing here again?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 5:08:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/7/2015 2:36:52 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 6/7/2015 1:41:25 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 6/7/2015 12:47:43 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 6/7/2015 12:28:17 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 6/7/2015 10:06:59 AM, Daktoria wrote:
A lot of people here seem to be wondering what can be done to reinvigorate the community.

Most if not all debate communities die over time because for the most part, those who debate on them are not affluent or successful people in real life. These are people who are looking for something else to do aside from being productive. These are not people who are productive, nor looking for a way to spread their ideology on production to make the world a better place.

Some debate because they're lazy bums and are trying to do anything aside from being productive.

Others debate because they're trying to rationalize why they're not productive.

Even others debate because they were productive, but someone got in their way, so they're trying to change the world to secure productivity.

The bottomline is communities need sustenance, and sustenance needs productivity.

If you want a community to thrive, then you need to get your hands dirty and truly ask, "What does it mean to be productive?"

To be clear, this doesn't necessarily mean, "What does it mean to be useful?" Being useful simply refers to what can be consumed. Asking this question can still lead to an emptiness of support because you still end up with lazy bums getting away with not actually contributing to their community. Instead, they simply pressure others to contribute.

I can't follow the argument you are trying to make.

Are you saying people on debate sites are unsuccessful, which means they are generally lazy and so are lazy about contributing to the site? That's an amazingly dumb argument, but I'll let someone else address it.

I'll just address the bizarre claim that people who debate are not affluent or successful in real life. This just betrays your ignorance of what the members of this community are actually like. The vast majority are students in high school or college who haven't had a chance to be come "affluent"- you categorization doesn't even apply to them. Most of those students are pretty smart and take academics seriously, I don't know why you assume they are lazy. The adults with jobs cut across a wide demographic- there are members who have run their own business, work service industry jobs, are involved with organized labor, have blue and white collar jobs, etc. Lots of different people use DDO for a lot of different reasons.

I don't fit that criteria. F uck

Lmao you're going to freakin' Stanford over the summer... you'll be fine XD

My grades are still bad

If you're going to Stanford, I guaran-fuggin-tee you that mine are worse.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Garbanza
Posts: 1,997
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 5:17:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/7/2015 3:44:39 PM, RevNge wrote:

Go away

Don't worry, Revvy-baby. Daktoria is a FRIEND. He won't hurt you.
Garbanza
Posts: 1,997
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 5:21:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/7/2015 12:20:36 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
If you don't like the site and/or it's people, leave.

You don't like the mobile update or me, or Daktoria or half a dozen other people so...
Don't leave harderthan! Your rule about leaving is stupid!
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 5:23:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/7/2015 5:21:36 PM, Garbanza wrote:
At 6/7/2015 12:20:36 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
If you don't like the site and/or it's people, leave.

You don't like the mobile update or me, or Daktoria or half a dozen other people so...
Don't leave harderthan! Your rule about leaving is stupid!

Mobile update - fixed.

You - still here.

I can ignore you. :)
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Garbanza
Posts: 1,997
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 5:24:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/7/2015 5:08:29 PM, Zaradi wrote:
Question for you as someone who wants to be VP and is here on the thread:

Are you okay with two users telling Daktoria to leave the site because he dared question our purpose here?
Garbanza
Posts: 1,997
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 5:26:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/7/2015 5:23:25 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

What I mean is, telling people to leave the site because you disagree with their opinions is hypocritical of you, and also goes against the purpose of the site (debating).
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 5:28:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/7/2015 5:26:38 PM, Garbanza wrote:
At 6/7/2015 5:23:25 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

What I mean is, telling people to leave the site because you disagree with their opinions is hypocritical of you, and also goes against the purpose of the site (debating).

I think he means, rather than complaining, one should just leave if they don't like DDO.
Likewise, if someone gets annoyed at the complaining, they can just ignore the people who complain, or if they don't like it that much, leave... rather than making a big deal out of it.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 5:28:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/7/2015 5:26:38 PM, Garbanza wrote:
At 6/7/2015 5:23:25 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

What I mean is, telling people to leave the site because you disagree with their opinions is hypocritical of you, and also goes against the purpose of the site (debating).

What I said really wasn't hypocritical at all.

He said that debating is unproductive and is an excuse to be unproductive, and that only bums do it. So what is he doing here? If he wants to debate, or share an opinion that isn't against everyone being here, I welcome him to do so.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 5:31:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/7/2015 5:28:21 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 6/7/2015 5:26:38 PM, Garbanza wrote:
At 6/7/2015 5:23:25 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

What I mean is, telling people to leave the site because you disagree with their opinions is hypocritical of you, and also goes against the purpose of the site (debating).

I think he means, rather than complaining, one should just leave if they don't like DDO.
Likewise, if someone gets annoyed at the complaining, they can just ignore the people who complain, or if they don't like it that much, leave... rather than making a big deal out of it.

Let me speak for myself, thank you.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 6:09:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/7/2015 5:24:09 PM, Garbanza wrote:
At 6/7/2015 5:08:29 PM, Zaradi wrote:
Question for you as someone who wants to be VP and is here on the thread:

Are you okay with two users telling Daktoria to leave the site because he dared question our purpose here?

You act like I can control what they say and think.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 6:14:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/7/2015 5:24:09 PM, Garbanza wrote:
At 6/7/2015 5:08:29 PM, Zaradi wrote:
Question for you as someone who wants to be VP and is here on the thread:

Are you okay with two users telling Daktoria to leave the site because he dared question our purpose here?

This is still gonna be a sh*tty answer because I'm at work on my phone. If you want a better answer pm me and we can talk about this after I get off of work.

But in short, not really but I can't really blame them not can I really do a whole lot to stop them.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 6:37:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/7/2015 5:31:46 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 6/7/2015 5:28:21 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 6/7/2015 5:26:38 PM, Garbanza wrote:
At 6/7/2015 5:23:25 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

What I mean is, telling people to leave the site because you disagree with their opinions is hypocritical of you, and also goes against the purpose of the site (debating).

I think he means, rather than complaining, one should just leave if they don't like DDO.
Likewise, if someone gets annoyed at the complaining, they can just ignore the people who complain, or if they don't like it that much, leave... rather than making a big deal out of it.

Let me speak for myself, thank you.

*raises hands in surrendering position and steps back*
http://i.imgur.com...
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 7:07:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/7/2015 5:24:09 PM, Garbanza wrote:
At 6/7/2015 5:08:29 PM, Zaradi wrote:
Question for you as someone who wants to be VP and is here on the thread:

Are you okay with two users telling Daktoria to leave the site because he dared question our purpose here?

So how is he relevant to Rev and I?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,285
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 7:19:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/7/2015 5:26:38 PM, Garbanza wrote:
At 6/7/2015 5:23:25 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

What I mean is, telling people to leave the site because you disagree with their opinions is hypocritical of you, and also goes against the purpose of the site (debating).

Is that why he asked him to leave though? He essentially pointed out that, by the OP's own logic, the OP shouldn't be on the site.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
RevNge
Posts: 13,835
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 7:27:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/7/2015 5:17:28 PM, Garbanza wrote:
At 6/7/2015 3:44:39 PM, RevNge wrote:

Go away

Don't worry, Revvy-baby. Daktoria is a FRIEND. He won't hurt you.

Just because you're a million years older than me doesn't mean that I'm an infant from an objective viewpoint. .-.
Garbanza
Posts: 1,997
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 8:49:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/7/2015 7:07:57 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 6/7/2015 5:24:09 PM, Garbanza wrote:
At 6/7/2015 5:08:29 PM, Zaradi wrote:
Question for you as someone who wants to be VP and is here on the thread:

Are you okay with two users telling Daktoria to leave the site because he dared question our purpose here?

So how is he relevant to Rev and I?

Because he wants the VP position which is all about responsibility for the community here. And because bsh1 almost ran for president with YYW who has always been about running people off the site when he doesn't like their opinions. So I was just wondering if Zaradi was taking the same position or not.
Garbanza
Posts: 1,997
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 8:51:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/7/2015 7:19:09 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 6/7/2015 5:26:38 PM, Garbanza wrote:
At 6/7/2015 5:23:25 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

What I mean is, telling people to leave the site because you disagree with their opinions is hypocritical of you, and also goes against the purpose of the site (debating).

Is that why he asked him to leave though? He essentially pointed out that, by the OP's own logic, the OP shouldn't be on the site.

He said, "If you don't like the site and/or it's people, leave." Later he expanded on what he meant, but at first it seemed like a general statement that people who don't like the site (or dare criticize it) should leave.