Jump to topic:

Vote moderation FAQ

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 12:31:34 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
While the vast majority of the active memberbase are good voters, some votes/voting privileges occasionally need to be removed to protect the integrity of debates and all the hard work the debaters put in. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions answered:

1) Why was my vote removed but that other horrible vote that doesn't explain anything allowed to stand? My vote is better than so many other crappy votes cast on the site.

Hands down the most frequently asked question. Moderators typically only remove votes that are reported. While we may stumble across poor votes and remove them, we can't go through every vote on the site to weed out the bad votes. If you find a poor vote simply use the handy report function to bring it to our attention or PM me, bluesteel, or Airmax.

2) I've reported a vote but it wasn't removed.

Several possibilities: (1) The vote passes moderation review. (2) We haven't processed the reports yet (this usually happens in 24-48 hours). (3) The vote is past the statute of limitations. (4) The debate is a non-serious/troll debate.

3) Do I need to put in all that effort just to vote on a debate? We don't need to explain votes in real life presidential elections, why do we need to do so here?

We as a community hold votes on debates to a certain standard to protect the integrity of debate results. Many debaters spend mutliple hours writing up detailed cases and sourcing their arguments well and votes need to provide meaningful feedback. This is exclusive to debates. If you want to vote without explanation, the site also offers the "Opinions" section and the "Polls" section where voting is not moderated.

4) If you keep my voting rights suspended indefinitely because I have religious bias, you are violating my Constitutional right to freely practice religion.

Airmax's post on freedom of speech (http://www.debate.org...) covers most of the issues here. Apart from that, debate is like a game to figure out who has better argumentative skills. A lot of times, debaters even play devil's advocate. You may have your own opinions but you should always vote based on who debated better. Most voters have opinions but can still cast objective votes.

5) I didn't know the voting guidelines. Why was I punished for something I never agreed to do?

The voting thread (http://www.debate.org...) in the DDO forum provides you links to the voting guidelines (http://www.debate.org...). It is prominent enough that it should draw your attention. Even if it doesn't, as long you read the debate cover-to-cover and explain your vote based on the arguments made within the debate and put in an honest effort, your vote will very likely pass moderation review. Now that you know, make sure to read the guide in-depth and understand all the voting norms on the site.

6) I want to explain my vote in detail but it won't fit in the voting comment box.

Feel free to use the comments section of the debate to elaborate on your vote. You can use multiple comments if you want.

7) You can keep my voting rights, I don't care. I will create a new account to get around my voting rights removal! Mwahaha.

It is highly recommended that you don't because IP addresses are checked and multi-accounting is banned on the site. Your multi-account will almost certainly be de-activated and your main account may be sanctioned as well.

8) Can I revote once I've had my vote removed?

Of course (assuming you have your voting privileges) - as long as it is a different vote with an effort to solve the initial issues with it that caused it to be removed. Copy-pasting the same vote will cause it to be removed again along with potentially other sanctions.

9) Help! I've had my voting privileges removed. How do I get them back?

I'll send you a PM soon after the removal explaining why your voting privileges were removed and how to get them back. More likely than not, you have your PM settings such that only you can only receive PMs from friends. In this case, I'll be sending you a friend request and following it up with a PM after you accept. Generally, I will send you a link to the voting guide asking you to read it so you can determine where you went wrong. And to get them back, this typically involves finding a contested debate (no forfeits or concessions) with at least 3 rounds (not including the acceptance round) and at least 4000 characters each round, and write a sufficient RFD in the comments section of the debate. The arguments point must be awarded and cannot be left a tie. You will then send me a link to the debate. If you cannot find debates that meet these criteria, an easy way to do this would be to look at the debates done by top members on the leaderboard. It doesn't have to be still in the voting period. You can post RFDs in the comments section long after the voting period closes.

10) bluesteel is a liberal, feminist crackpot. He removed my vote because he disagrees with my religious/political beliefs.

Moderation makes every effort to not remove votes because of a substantial disagreement. We typically only consider whether the vote meets the minimum criteria to be considered legitimate.

Feel free to discuss further issues.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 5:35:51 AM
At 6/8/2015 4:16:53 AM, Wylted wrote:
So you don't deny Bluesteel is a crackpot.

I deny being a liberal.

And this voting faq is spot on.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 6:07:48 AM
At 6/8/2015 5:35:51 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 6/8/2015 4:16:53 AM, Wylted wrote:
So you don't deny Bluesteel is a crackpot.

I deny being a liberal.

And this voting faq is spot on.

I had a feeling you would, but I consider every single person who does not agree with me 100%, a liberal.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 1:58:51 PM
I have a question... What very important strings would I have to pull to get a mafia game together with players like you, bluesteel and Blackvoid? For old times sake?
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227