Jump to topic:

Discussion Group for Europeans

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 8:46:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Any Europeans willing to form a discussion group for our continental and state policies, cultures, history, etc.? If so, PM me.

And by Europeans, I mean native ones only.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 8:53:11 PM
Even the Irish?

The Irish aren't capable of intelligent discussion. You might want to exclude them as well.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 8:53:43 PM
At 6/12/2015 8:53:11 PM, Wylted wrote:
Even the Irish?

The Irish aren't capable of intelligent discussion. You might want to exclude them as well.
The Irish? They rock.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 9:19:54 PM
At 6/12/2015 8:53:11 PM, Wylted wrote:
Even the Irish?

I don't know, some of them can manage it.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 9:26:54 PM
I'm European and I like other European things.

In fact, all European countries happen to interest me apart from those northern ones like Sweden and Denmark..now they're just boring.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 9:28:39 PM
At 6/12/2015 9:26:54 PM, Emilrose wrote:

In fact, all European countries happen to interest me apart from those northern ones like Sweden and Denmark..now they're just boring.
What's your ethnicity? I thought you came from Israel.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 9:31:06 PM
At 6/12/2015 9:28:39 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/12/2015 9:26:54 PM, Emilrose wrote:

What's your ethnicity? I thought you came from Israel.

Oh no, I've only visited Israel. I suppose my ethnicity is Jewish [though I'm not sure that really classifes as one] I was born in England but live in Spain.

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 9:33:30 PM
At 6/12/2015 9:31:06 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Oh no, I've only visited Israel. I suppose my ethnicity is Jewish [though I'm not sure that really classifes as one] I was born in England but live in Spain.
Interesting. The thing with Jewish ethnicity is tricky; if one is only religious, that doesn't mean he is ethnic Jew. And as for the ethnic Jews, I know some do not want to identify as white, because they feel no connection to Europe, and more to Israel.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 9:44:42 PM
At 6/12/2015 9:33:30 PM, Mirza wrote:
Interesting. The thing with Jewish ethnicity is tricky; if one is only religious, that doesn't mean he is ethnic Jew. And as for the ethnic Jews, I know some do not want to identify as white, because they feel no connection to Europe, and more to Israel.

Yes, it's also tricky because Jews are generally a varied mix and some have more "Semitic" blood than others. Not wanting to identify with yourself as white is acceptable if that genuinely is the case--but with a lot of Jews, it's not. It seems a little silly if that "connection" to Israel was lost for such a long period of time.

But again, it depends on the Jew. I know European Jews that are darker than others and vice-versa.

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 9:50:58 PM
At 6/12/2015 9:44:42 PM, Emilrose wrote:

Yes, it's also tricky because Jews are generally a varied mix and some have more "Semitic" blood than others. Not wanting to identify with yourself as white is acceptable if that genuinely is the case--but with a lot of Jews, it's not. It seems a little silly if that "connection" to Israel was lost for such a long period of time.

But again, it depends on the Jew. I know European Jews that are darker than others and vice-versa.
It also has to do with the fact that if, on an ethnic basis, one identifies as a Jew, his spiritual connections happen with Israel and its history, and nothing in Europe. There is no Jewish state in Europe, nothing related to the rise of Jewish ethnicity. Europeans (white people) are different in that regard; their roots are in Europe when it comes to ethnicity. We honour our kings, ancestors, and more, all part of the European history. The Jews, however, do not.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 10:13:14 PM
At 6/12/2015 9:50:58 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/12/2015 9:44:42 PM, Emilrose wrote:

It also has to do with the fact that if, on an ethnic basis, one identifies as a Jew, his spiritual connections happen with Israel and its history, and nothing in Europe. There is no Jewish state in Europe, nothing related to the rise of Jewish ethnicity. Europeans (white people) are different in that regard; their roots are in Europe when it comes to ethnicity. We honour our kings, ancestors, and more, all part of the European history. The Jews, however, do not.

That's correct, Jewish identity is indeed built on religion and our spiritual history is in Israel. However, this doesn't necessarily correspond fully with "ethnic history". Even if a Jew is practicing/religious--that still doesn't exactly mean that they can exclusively trace their origins to Israel. *Some* Jews do genuinely have their roots in Europe, while other Jews [many of whom have resided in Europe for a long time] do not. The ethnic identity to me again depends on the Jews in question.

Take a pale-skinned and very light-haired Jew with generally non-Jewish features, for instance, if he/she is practicing they would have a religious connection to Israel but *not* an ethnic one; at least not on a large basis.

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 10:15:23 PM
At 6/12/2015 10:13:14 PM, Emilrose wrote:
That's correct, Jewish identity is indeed built on religion and our spiritual history is in Israel. However, this doesn't necessarily correspond fully with "ethnic history". Even if a Jew is practicing/religious--that still doesn't exactly mean that they can exclusively trace their origins to Israel. *Some* Jews do genuinely have their roots in Europe, while other Jews [many of whom have resided in Europe for a long time] do not. The ethnic identity to me again depends on the Jews in question.

Take a pale-skinned and very light-haired Jew with generally non-Jewish features, for instance, if he/she is practicing they would have a religious connection to Israel but *not* an ethnic one; at least not on a large basis.
I agree.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 6:21:36 PM
At 6/12/2015 10:15:23 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/12/2015 10:13:14 PM, Emilrose wrote:

I agree.

And how about your own country? ;) I barely know anything about it aside from the religious/ethnic tensions that have existed over the years.

Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 6:24:20 PM
At 6/12/2015 8:46:55 PM, Mirza wrote:
Any Europeans willing to form a discussion group for our continental and state policies, cultures, history, etc.? If so, PM me.

And by Europeans, I mean native ones only.

Sure, count me in.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 6:42:03 PM
At 6/12/2015 9:47:15 PM, hect wrote:
I'm moving to europe for a few years in october does that count

Learn some Latin and you can have my pass.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
hect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 6:59:21 PM
At 6/13/2015 6:42:03 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

quo warranto, do I have to answer to you
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 7:14:54 PM
At 6/13/2015 6:59:21 PM, hect wrote:

I said Latin. There is no W in latin.
TUF, and YYW
hect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 8:06:22 PM
At 6/13/2015 7:14:54 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

https://www.google.com.au...
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 8:11:10 PM
At 6/13/2015 8:06:22 PM, hect wrote:

That's Medieval Latin not Standard Latin (also known as Dog Latin)
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
hect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 8:22:48 PM
At 6/13/2015 8:11:10 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

but still is latin
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 9:01:37 PM
At 6/13/2015 8:22:48 PM, hect wrote:

but still is latin

Not respectable Latin.
TUF, and YYW
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 10:43:41 AM
At 6/13/2015 6:21:36 PM, Emilrose wrote:
And how about your own country? ;) I barely know anything about it aside from the religious/ethnic tensions that have existed over the years.
Genetically speaking, we are native to the country and the region surrounding it. (The three ethnic groups are white and look similar to each other, and the division is mostly religious.) Interestingly enough, Bosniaks and Croats are the people in Europe who mostly have the haplogroup i2a1, a branch of I2, which is the oldest and probably only one which originated in Europe. https://hauridna.files.wordpress.com... Bosnians also carry about 12-15% Slavic genes, due to Slavs (who originated in the European region near Ukraine, Belarus, and Russia http://upload.wikimedia.org...) coming in our region, and introducing to us Slavic language, which is why we are Slavs in a linguistic sense.

Just to clear a misconception some may have - we aren't a new country. https://en.wikipedia.org...
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 10:52:13 AM
At 6/13/2015 9:01:37 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 6/13/2015 8:22:48 PM, hect wrote:

but still is latin

Not respectable Latin.

^ That Latin is tainted. Go read Benjamin D'Ooge. :P
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 6:35:50 PM
At 6/14/2015 10:43:41 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/13/2015 6:21:36 PM, Emilrose wrote:

Genetically speaking, we are native to the country and the region surrounding it. (The three ethnic groups are white and look similar to each other, and the division is mostly religious.) Interestingly enough, Bosniaks and Croats are the people in Europe who mostly have the haplogroup i2a1, a branch of I2, which is the oldest and probably only one which originated in Europe. https://hauridna.files.wordpress.com... Bosnians also carry about 12-15% Slavic genes, due to Slavs (who originated in the European region near Ukraine, Belarus, and Russia http://upload.wikimedia.org...) coming in our region, and introducing to us Slavic language, which is why we are Slavs in a linguistic sense.

Just to clear a misconception some may have - we aren't a new country. https://en.wikipedia.org...

I agree, I'm aware that Slavs migrated to the very far East [of Europe] and that they're not direct natives to the land--at least not ethnically speaking. It's interesting to learn about the different ethnic origins and "genetics" of that particular region. Even if you go a little further west, you can still see that it's generally pretty mixed.

Have you ever travelled outside of Bosnia? If so, where?

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 6:41:30 PM
At 6/14/2015 6:35:50 PM, Emilrose wrote:
I agree, I'm aware that Slavs migrated to the very far East [of Europe] and that they're not direct natives to the land--at least not ethnically speaking. It's interesting to learn about the different ethnic origins and "genetics" of that particular region. Even if you go a little further west, you can still see that it's generally pretty mixed.
The early Slavs actually originated there, although some theorists suggest they originated close to Central Europe. It does not seem right; they very likely originated at the region of the map I showed, near Belarus/Ukraine/Russia. They expanded to the rest of Europe, also in Germany, where they have Slavic genes in some parts at the same amount people in say, Bosnia have. Really interesting.

I have lived in Denmark most of my life, and have been to Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, Germany, Sweden, and Spain (Catalonia, specifically). All great places. Germany can awake a few depressive memories though; I drove in a bus first time to Denmark through it, and the memories I recall are melancholic.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 6:59:33 PM
At 6/14/2015 6:41:30 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/14/2015 6:35:50 PM, Emilrose wrote:

The early Slavs actually originated there, although some theorists suggest they originated close to Central Europe. It does not seem right; they very likely originated at the region of the map I showed, near Belarus/Ukraine/Russia. They expanded to the rest of Europe, also in Germany, where they have Slavic genes in some parts at the same amount people in say, Bosnia have. Really interesting.

Personally I agree more with these kind of theorists; though Eastern Europe is obviously very mixed. "Slavic" in general has a varied meaning and covers a wide range of people from different countries in an extremely large geopgraphical area. Some Slavs [I've noticed this with mainly wetern Slavs] have a light look and can be quite Germanic looking, while others are quite dark. To me it's the most genetically diverse region there is, considering some of the elements of Asian blood as well.

I have lived in Denmark most of my life, and have been to Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, Germany, Sweden, and Spain (Catalonia, specifically). All great places. Germany can awake a few depressive memories though; I drove in a bus first time to Denmark through it, and the memories I recall are melancholic.

Nice, Spain is the best ;) Though I've never really seen that much of Catalonia or any parts of northern Spain. I've seen a lot of the East and South though, Seville is my favourite place. Germany actually seems quite nice, at least the south of it which I'd really like to visit. I guess it depends on which areas you go to and what your experience is with them at the time. Aside from that, I'd like to visit Croatia.

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 7:11:58 PM
At 6/14/2015 6:59:33 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Personally I agree more with these kind of theorists; though Eastern Europe is obviously very mixed. "Slavic" in general has a varied meaning and covers a wide range of people from different countries in an extremely large geopgraphical area. Some Slavs [I've noticed this with mainly wetern Slavs] have a light look and can be quite Germanic looking, while others are quite dark. To me it's the most genetically diverse region there is, considering some of the elements of Asian blood as well.
I'm not sure which part of Eastern Europe you're referring to. If you include the Caucasus, which IMO is not even Europe, then yes. In the region around Ukraine, they are definitely homogeneous, and not mixed. Ethnic Russians are not mixed either. The early Slavs were probably tall, and they indeed pale, and had blonde/reddish hair. Not surprising, since they climate they evolved in (North-Eastern Europe) resembles that of Nordic countries. http://4.bp.blogspot.com...

Slavic gene distribution: http://slovio.com...

Also, Asian genes would have been introduced at a later point, and in very little amounts. They are nevertheless mostly present in Nordic countries, especially Sweden. http://cdn.eupedia.com...

Nice, Spain is the best ;) Though I've never really seen that much of Catalonia or any parts of northern Spain. I've seen a lot of the East and South though, Seville is my favourite place. Germany actually seems quite nice, at least the south of it which I'd really like to visit. I guess it depends on which areas you go to and what your experience is with them at the time. Aside from that, I'd like to visit Croatia.
It was lovely in Spain. Slightly too extroverted people for me, otherwise very interesting. So, you seem to like the more southern parts of Europe?