Opposite philosophy day 2

Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 8:00:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Okay, maybe not opposite exactly but...

A few days ago several users pretended to subscribe to opposite philosophies for a day. Unfortunately, however, the event was designed in a way which only confirmed everyone's beliefs by making fun of people they disagreed with. People posted stupid arguments for the other side. All this did was widen the divide instead of breaching it. What use was this?

So, I propose we have another "opposite philosophy day". The goal of which is to force yourself to understand how another philosophy thinks, and to pretend to be part of that philosophy respectably.

You needn't pretend to be exactly opposite. Just sufficiently different. Feel free to have different posts be different viewpoints.

Anyone interested? When should we do this?
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 11:09:24 PM
At 8/12/2010 8:29:08 PM, annhasle wrote:
I have a bad feeling about this... >.>

Why?

And to anyone who's interested, please say if there's any days that don't work.

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 11:11:53 PM
At 8/12/2010 8:00:12 PM, Yvette wrote:

A few days ago several users pretended to subscribe to opposite philosophies for a day. Unfortunately, however, the event was designed in a way which only confirmed everyone's beliefs by making fun of people they disagreed with. People posted stupid arguments for the other side. All this did was widen the divide instead of breaching it. What use was this?

So, I propose we have another "opposite philosophy day". The goal of which is to force yourself to understand how another philosophy thinks, and to pretend to be part of that philosophy respectably.

You needn't pretend to be exactly opposite. Just sufficiently different. Feel free to have different posts be different viewpoints.

I think a debate tournament would be better. Argue for the opposite of what you believe in and try to win.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 11:23:01 PM
At 8/12/2010 11:11:53 PM, tvellalott wrote:

I think a debate tournament would be better. Argue for the opposite of what you believe in and try to win.

That could work.

I don't think it should have to be opposite though, just something you don't agree with.

The point, though, is to get people to actively think about how others think and not in a satirical way. So maybe some could do debates but forums would have the best effect.

And yay for more interest @pcp

How does Sunday sound?

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 11:53:21 PM
At 8/12/2010 11:09:24 PM, Yvette wrote:

Why?

Because even though it's supposed to be a learning experience and respectful... there are some people on this site that lack maturity. Or take personal offence from disbelief. Opposite Day could easily degrade into "insult-your-opposition-because-they'll-never-understand!" :(
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
MTGandP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 11:54:54 PM

I agree, I think that's the best way to ensure that people are serious.

As for me, there's no reason for me to participate because I'm so open-minded ;) Just kidding, I think this is a great idea and I'll participate.
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 12:06:01 AM
At 8/12/2010 11:53:21 PM, annhasle wrote:

Why?

Because even though it's supposed to be a learning experience and respectful... there are some people on this site that lack maturity. Or take personal offence from disbelief. Opposite Day could easily degrade into "insult-your-opposition-because-they'll-never-understand!" :(

Sure, some might. That was what the last one consisted of. Still, I think for most it will be a good thing.

Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 12:06:50 AM
At 8/12/2010 11:54:54 PM, MTGandP wrote:

As for me, there's no reason for me to participate because I'm so open-minded ;) Just kidding, I think this is a great idea and I'll participate.

Both?

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 12:10:02 AM
At 8/13/2010 12:06:01 AM, Yvette wrote:
At 8/12/2010 11:53:21 PM, annhasle wrote:

Why?

Sure, some might. That was what the last one consisted of. Still, I think for most it will be a good thing.

I'll definitely participate. But if it starts to include insults and blatant disregard for civility, I will leave. I want to do this to spread acceptance not ignorance. Hopefully, it'll be fun! :D
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 12:10:30 AM
At 8/12/2010 11:23:01 PM, Yvette wrote:

That could work.

I don't think it should have to be opposite though, just something you don't agree with.

The point, though, is to get people to actively think about how others think and not in a satirical way. So maybe some could do debates but forums would have the best effect.

: How does Sunday sound?

Aww... I won't be on Sunday... :(
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 1:21:55 AM
At 8/13/2010 12:10:30 AM, annhasle wrote:

That could work.

Monday?

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 1:25:05 AM
At 8/13/2010 1:21:55 AM, Yvette wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:10:30 AM, annhasle wrote:

That could work.

Monday?

Yeah, that'd work!! :D
MTGandP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 11:33:29 AM
At 8/13/2010 12:06:50 AM, Yvette wrote:
At 8/12/2010 11:54:54 PM, MTGandP wrote:

Both?

The debate thing. I'm not on these forums enough for my activity as my own opposition to be significant.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 11:35:48 AM

Alot of people do that already anyway. It's called Devil's Advocacy. ;)
Prox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 11:46:32 AM
At 8/13/2010 11:35:48 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

It's a really fun hobby. But where I come from it's called "Trolling".
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 11:47:59 AM
At 8/13/2010 11:46:32 AM, Prox wrote:

http://www.debate.org...
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Prox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 11:49:53 AM
At 8/13/2010 11:47:59 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 8/13/2010 11:46:32 AM, Prox wrote:

Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 4:44:01 PM
Still posted for Monday.

brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 9:28:13 PM
I do this in debates all the time - take an extreme right wing view on an issue, for example, locking up all gay men to prevent the spread of AIDS - ironically, they are the only debates I seem to win!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 9:52:06 PM
At 8/14/2010 9:28:13 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
I do this in debates all the time - take an extreme right wing view on an issue, for example, locking up all gay men to prevent the spread of AIDS - ironically, they are the only debates I seem to win!

I'm in. Why one day? Why not a week? More time to get the feel of it. We have avvie week so why not have different oppinion week?
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 2:55:24 AM
Since there has been so many accusations of multi-accounting lately I was thinking we could have a day where we pretend to act like another member of our choice, but then decided against it since it'll likely just erupt into insults and hurt feelings. We can stick to the reverse philosophy day.