Jump to topic:

American Qeustionnaire

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 7:45:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Greetings, inhabitants of the One Indispensable Nation. In the light of my recent activity that does not really speak positively of America, I would like to know more about your personal relations with your country. You can answer as you wish, and add further. You may also PM me if you do not wish to share your sentiments.

- Do you find the ridiculously exceptional lack of proper culture in America depressing?
- Are you, at all, ashamed of being associated with your country?
- One adjective, positive or negative, that best describes your country?

Thanks.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 7:48:53 PM
At 6/17/2015 7:45:27 PM, Mirza wrote:
Greetings, inhabitants of the One Indispensable Nation. In the light of my recent activity that does not really speak positively of America, I would like to know more about your personal relations with your country. You can answer as you wish, and add further. You may also PM me if you do not wish to share your sentiments.

- Do you find the ridiculously exceptional lack of proper culture in America depressing?

Your question is arrogant, poorly worded, and based on a false premise.

No.

Indispensable.

Thanks.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 7:50:23 PM
At 6/17/2015 7:48:53 PM, YYW wrote:

No.

Indispensable.

Thanks.
Thanks for the answers, brief and dull as they are.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 7:53:21 PM
At 6/17/2015 7:50:23 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/17/2015 7:48:53 PM, YYW wrote:

No.

Indispensable.

Thanks.
Thanks for the answers, brief and dull as they are.

Certainly. It should be noted that your questions lent themselves to brief answers, and sufficiently answering them required almost no elaboration.

I would suggest, as well, that this recent bout of public anti-Americanism is something that is as misguided as it is distasteful.

So, realize that while I could be ragging on your country -with minimal effort- I chose not to do that because it serves no purpose.

In an ideal world, we can all appreciate the contributions that all of our countries have to offer, rather than engaging in the ostentatious task of attacking one because of our own ignorance.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 8:01:30 PM
At 6/17/2015 7:53:21 PM, YYW wrote:
Certainly. It should be noted that your questions lent themselves to brief answers, and sufficiently answering them required almost no elaboration.
I set no requirements indeed, although I always value depth. Your brief and dull answers were acceptable, and I'm thankful for the participation. (Be not offended by the adjectives I attributed to them.)

I would suggest, as well, that this recent bout of public anti-Americanism is something that is as misguided as it is distasteful.
I beg to differ. The filthy, vile region that you happen to live in deserves all the critique it can possibly attract, and I shall take pleasure in delivering the reward.

So, realize that while I could be ragging on your country -with minimal effort- I chose not to do that because it serves no purpose.
Feel free to do so.

In an ideal world, we can all appreciate the contributions that all of our countries have to offer, rather than engaging in the ostentatious task of attacking one because of our own ignorance.
In an ideal world, the One Indispensable Nation would not be driven by the beasts we in our daily lives refer to as Americans. Since such an ideal world is but fantasy, I will speak of it as I find it fitting.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 8:02:24 PM
At 6/17/2015 8:01:30 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/17/2015 7:53:21 PM, YYW wrote:
I set no requirements indeed, although I always value depth. Your brief and dull answers were acceptable, and I'm thankful for the participation. (Be not offended by the adjectives I attributed to them.)

I beg to differ. The filthy, vile region that you happen to live in deserves all the critique it can possibly attract, and I shall take pleasure in delivering the reward.

Feel free to do so.

In an ideal world, the One Indispensable Nation would not be driven by the beasts we in our daily lives refer to as Americans. Since such an ideal world is but fantasy, I will speak of it as I find it fitting.

You have got to be trolling right now...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 8:06:23 PM
At 6/17/2015 8:02:24 PM, YYW wrote:
You have got to be trolling right now...
If you find my perception of Americans erroneous and mistaken, I welcome criticism. As I feel free to criticize the country void of basic goodness, you too can feel free to criticize my opinion of it. Here, in a PM, or in any thread I dedicated to the One Indispensable Nation.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 8:30:22 PM

lol. Poor us, we have multiple cultures which all bring benefits and we take the best of them all. If anything, our lack of "proper" culture is actually a benefit. And many regions of themselves have a culture. So, unless you actually come here, you have no good reason to assume that we have no culture.

Hell no. We are the reason Europe can afford not to have a military. If you want us to leave so bad, great, do it yourselves. It is Europe's doing that we are so involved. I mean, we always will be, but you guys could easily reduce our interference if you stopped sitting on your @sses and saying "it's k, guys, we are part of the 51st state."

I agree with YYW. Indispensable. Europe would collapse without us, and you know it.

Thanks.

np
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 8:33:33 PM
At 6/17/2015 8:30:22 PM, 16kadams wrote:
np
Answers, and substantial comments added to them. I could not ask for more. Thank you, Sir.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 8:38:09 PM

Wuh?

Yes.

Big.

Thanks.

I gotchu.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 8:41:01 PM
At 6/17/2015 8:38:09 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Wuh?

Yes.

Big.

Thanks.

I gotchu.
Always good to hear from you, Sir. Interestingly, you are ashamed of the association. (Don't worry, I pass no judgement at all.)
Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 8:50:01 PM

No. I've always preferred American culture to European culture.

Sometimes. Mostly not though.

quiet

Thanks.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 8:50:41 PM

No, because we have our own culture.
No, I'm proud of it.
Unique

Thanks.

Very rarely do I get annoyed, but I confess your European superiority is getting on my nerves. Please realize we are a different society than you and respect us like you want to be respected.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 8:54:56 PM

Thanks.

1. There isn't a "ridiculously exceptional lack of proper culture in America". America has a huge amount of its own culture, whether it be mixed or original.

2. Not in the slightest. I don't like what the government specifically does sometimes, but the country is great.

3. Superior.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 8:57:21 PM
Greetings, inhabitants of the One Indispensable Nation.
I'm going to assume you're talking about Canada for our indispensable oil and polar bear supply, and also because America doesn't necessarily and inherently refer to the United States

TBH I think someone saying "Americans" to refer to people from the US should be viewed the same way as someone saying "Europeans" to refer to people from Britain.. no, the name denotes anyone from within the entire continent[s]... not exclusively people from just one country..
In the light of my recent activity that does not really speak positively of America, I would like to know more about your personal relations with your country. You can answer as you wish, and add further. You may also PM me if you do not wish to share your sentiments.

Not really, it's to be expected. There is no 'obvious' culture in America for pretty clear and valid historical reasons; the continent is a cultural mishmash of immigrants from different countries. It's unrealistic to expect anything else. The "beautiful" longwithstanding, native culture that probably fits with your conceptualization of "proper" was mostly destroyed by Exploration-era European conquest..
With my country, Canada? Nah, I think we're pretty cool, so sorry if that wasn't the answer you were looking for.

Though, am I ashamed of being associated with significant portions of the people who live in America? Yes.
cold

Thanks
..giving is a wonderful example of one of the better sides of American culture?
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 9:02:05 PM
At 6/17/2015 8:57:21 PM, Daltonian wrote:
Though, am I ashamed of being associated with significant portions of the people who live in America? Yes.
Wonderful answer, Sir. Very good.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 9:29:27 PM

There's an extra word in there, to be sure. I don't know what to do with a "ridiculously exceptional lack" of anything, and I can't understand what differentiates a "proper culture" from any other culture. Considering how confounded I am about the question, I find it hard to be depressed about its implications.

But you probably want more than that. I don't think that America lacks for culture of any sort, whether proper or improper (though I have no clue what either of those means). The U.S. is home to a wide variety of cultures. I don't find that depressing. There is an overarching culture, but I don't find it problematic. There are a large number of subcultures that I find troubling, like the gun culture, but pretty much any country on the face of the planet suffers from subversive cultures like this.

No. I'm sometimes ashamed of being associated with certain members of my country, but not with my country itself. If people choose to apply some form of shame to a place of birth, which is entirely accidental and outside of the control of any individual, then those who are doing the shaming should be ashamed of themselves.

Home.

Thanks.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 12:00:52 AM
You probably would have not been born if your parents lived in Bosnia at the time you were conceived. As history shows, wholesale genocide in your country was taking place. But the US stepped in to stop it as no other country in the world would lift a finger or cared if you all slaughtered each other like pigs in a slaughter house. Glad the US could help stop it, your welcome, no charge by the way.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 10:06:59 AM
At 6/19/2015 12:00:52 AM, sadolite wrote:
You probably would have not been born if your parents lived in Bosnia at the time you were conceived.
That's probably not true, since that was the case. Also, thread ends here.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 10:08:21 AM
At 6/19/2015 10:06:59 AM, Mirza wrote:
Are you trolling or serious about this? I think it's a combination of both, but I'm not sure.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 10:31:48 AM
At 6/19/2015 12:00:52 AM, sadolite wrote:
You probably would have not been born if your parents lived in Bosnia at the time you were conceived. As history shows, wholesale genocide in your country was taking place. But the US stepped in to stop it as no other country in the world would lift a finger or cared if you all slaughtered each other like pigs in a slaughter house. Glad the US could help stop it, your welcome, no charge by the way.

That is literally one the most ridiculous answers I've ever seen. Obviously people would have been born at Bosnia at the time.

Besides, numerous example can be shown of when the U.S has intervented with countries without any valid reason for it.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 10:34:14 AM
At 6/19/2015 10:31:48 AM, Emilrose wrote:
Besides, numerous example can be shown of when the U.S has intervented with countries without any valid reason for it.
He's indescribably stupid, pretty much like a good portion of the American respondents in this thread, and other threads that deal with the vile country of theirs.

I truly feel sorry for someone who cannot even admit a single mission of his country being wrong.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 12:50:55 PM
At 6/19/2015 10:34:14 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/19/2015 10:31:48 AM, Emilrose wrote:
He's indescribably stupid, pretty much like a good portion of the American respondents in this thread, and other threads that deal with the vile country of theirs.

I truly feel sorry for someone who cannot even admit a single mission of his country being wrong.

The both of you are "indescribably ignorant" when it comes to the history of Bosnia
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 1:00:32 PM
This thread makes me Mizrable.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 4:11:34 PM

This is what we call a loaded question. I'm not convinced that America has an "exceptional" lack of proper culture. I'm not even sure that many would agree about what "proper" culture would be. So no...

Not anymore that I would if I were from any other country.

Well, to play on your first question.... "Exceptional" haha. idk
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 6:06:57 PM

Disagree with the premises implicit in the statement. Don't find depressing because don't think there's an exceptional lack of proper culture, and I think that "proper culture" is an inherently problematic sentiment.

No. I am ashamed of some things that have been done by the country, but anyone who isn't about their own country is eliding some element of their history.

See Youtube video.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 6:17:16 PM
At 6/19/2015 6:03:20 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/19/2015 1:00:32 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
This thread makes me Mizrable.
Good one, Ma'am.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam