Jump to topic:

Indirect Voting Requests

Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 4:23:00 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I personally am hesitant to ask people to vote on my debates (especially ones of a religious nature, which a lot of mine are) because I am afraid that it would introduce an unfair bias into the voting of a debate. Also the voter is going to be inclined to vote for me/against me based on that interaction.

I think a few share me position on this much.

Therefore, I was thinking about a "voting request" group, where a person who needs a vote would ask the group, who would then delegate one or two people to read and vote on the debate. Therefore, you no longer have that one-to-one request, the voters are not directly or indirectly pressured by the debaters, and debaters less likely to be dissuaded from requesting votes.

Not sure if I put my point across clearly - let me know what you think.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 4:34:27 AM
I strongly believe that while are correct about what you are saying, the cause of the bias is the voter themselves and not the mechanism of you asking for a vote. If voters have been swayed to vote for/against you simply because you asked them to vote on your debate, you are asking the wrong people - people who have no business voting on debates in the first place.

A truly unbiased voter will not allow themselves to be swayed. Seek out those kind of voters and request their votes.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 4:35:54 AM
At 6/19/2015 4:34:27 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I strongly believe that while are correct about what you are saying, the cause of the bias is the voter themselves and not the mechanism of you asking for a vote. If voters have been swayed to vote for/against you simply because you asked them to vote on your debate, you are asking the wrong people - people who have no business voting on debates in the first place.

A truly unbiased voter will not allow themselves to be swayed.

1. It was more in concern for hesitating to vote.
2. There is no such thing as an unbiased voter - ever.

Seek out those kind of voters and request their votes.

Ok.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 8:52:22 AM
(you=/=you specifically)

I don't think that it is necessarily the bias from you asking them pressures them, but that you are more likely to ask people who will vote for you. Yes, there could be pressure from being asked, but (usually) the only people someone will ask are either those that have a 50% chance of voting for you or more. People don't want to ask someone to vote if they feel they will vote against them.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO