Jump to topic:

Extrinsic benefits of debating?

UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 3:57:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Title explains itself. What would you consider to be one of the extrinsic benefits of debate?
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 4:17:17 PM
At 6/19/2015 3:57:50 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
Title explains itself. What would you consider to be one of the extrinsic benefits of debate?

It strokes our egos and makes us feel smart.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 4:28:34 PM

I'll list a few to get conversation started:

1. Socialization. This is especially true of competitive leagues for things like highschool and college. Debating forces you to interact with other people in a way that you inevitably get to know them and how they think and, if you become interested in knowing more about them, about who they are as people. The number of friends and acquaintances I've made just by having debated with/against them is almost impossible for me to get an accurate count on it's very large. This is especially helpful for really introverted people, like myself, who may not naturally go out and seek these social situations. But debating gives you something that you like to do, and does it in a way that you're still being social and interacting with others while you do what you like.

2. Learning. This should be the no-brainer one. Researching topics means you're going to be doing a lot of reading over stuff that you need to understand and be able to defend and/or refute at a moment's notice. This means that things you can learn about while debating is only limited by what you want to debate about and the case you plan to use to advocate for your position.

3. Work Ethic. This is especially true for competitive leagues such as highschool and college level debate. The amount of work I put into a serious debate on DDO goes something along the lines of this: I spend maybe 3-4 hours researching the topic, reading articles that pertain to the topic to try and give me some kind of background information about what's being debated. I'll spend another hour or two researching evidence for my side, pulling the case that I want to use together. Ignoring the time I spend typing that all into DDO, I've spent roughly 5-6 hours alone on case-writing. If I need to research more for rebuttals, I'll usually spend another hour or so on that. This means that I can expect to funnel in at least 6-7 hours of research alone when I'm doing a debate on here. IRL competitions I tend to spend at least triple that on research. The amount of sheer work that you need to do with a very rigid deadline is a testiment to the work ethic required, and it's a valuable tool to have.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 4:55:29 PM

- Research skills
- General communication skills; being able to organize thoughts and communicate complicated ideas
- Reading comprehension
- Topic education (learning about whatever you are debating about)
- Critical thinking
- Emotional intelligence; learning to take criticism, deal with defeat, and improve.
- Exposure to different perspectives
- Ability to think from the perspectives of others (thinking about the debate from your opponent's perspective, from the judge's perspective)
- Development of personal political and philosophical positions

...that's what I came up with in three minutes.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 5:31:17 PM
At 6/19/2015 4:17:17 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

This.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 8:44:17 PM

Mencius has stated that his purpose of debate is to stop the prevalence of Yangism and Mohism. :P
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 9:39:26 PM
At 6/19/2015 4:17:17 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

I hate to agree to this, but.... Ya.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO