Protesting the DDO Hall of Fame

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 10:47:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Dear Users,

It has come to my attention that the DDO "Hall of Fame" (http://www.debate.org...) has a fatal flaw that neglects prominent portions of this site. As per the Hall of Fame rules, one must nominate 3 debates, 3 users, and 3 forum threads for the HOF. It appears that this "nomination" is heavily biased towards those who debate and those who participate in the forums. Thus, this "DDO Hall of Fame" is discriminatory towards users who enjoy the "opinions" and/or "polls" section of this website. It is fairly clear that these are in fact important sections of the website, but it is unfortunate to notice that the HOF doesn't believe these sections hold any significance. Thus, we are left with users who have spent hours, days, or even months of effort in attempting to improve the quality of the opinions and polls sections. It sickens me to know that a user, such as I, who has made it to the top of the poll leaderboards in a few months, and becoming a Junior Moderator as a result of it, is just thrown into the dirt and is thought nothing of. Then we have users who have contributed thousands of comments and votes to the polls and/or opinions section, sparking strong debates, who are blatantly disregarded just because they don't spend time formally debating. I can't speak for the opinions section, but I have noticed that the polls section has developed a strong community who are very much a part of this site, but this "Hall of Fame" recognizes none of this.

In an effort to improve the "fairness" and "quality" of the Hall of Fame, I would like to create a formal petition to airmax1227 to FULLY include the polls and opinions sections into the Hall of Fame. As a personal suggestion, have users nominate 3 users from the polls and opinions who have contributed strongly to the respective sections, 3 exceptional opinion arguments, and 3 polls for the HOF. It's simple and it would finally allow all users who contribute to this site to finally be fully included. Conventional wisdom would have it that the polls and opinions are "irrelevant" and "no one cares about them", but I do and I'm sure many others do. Unfortunately, one voice is usually never enough to bring about change to this website, thus I am calling out to the other users of this site, those who care about this site, those who contribute to the equally important opinions and polls, to request that airmax1227 officially includes the polls and opinions sections into the Hall of Fame.

Vote Here:

Et al.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 10:57:22 PM
Several problems with this:

(1) Debates have academic and real-world value. They take significant time, effort, and research abilities. Opinons and Polls don't fall into this category. Responding to a poll takes seconds. It is a trivial amount of time.

(2) I have not known anyone who uses exclusively or mostly polls to be a core member of the site.

(3) Why are you trying a confrontational approach to this rather than privately PM Airmax and discuss the ups and downs with him? If you wanted to test public opinion, you could simply create a poll and link it to the forum posts. The tone of your post has a "rebellious" edge which I'm not sure I like because it doesn't make sense in this context.

(4) The polls and opinions sections are just objectively inferior to debates. Perhaps a HoF for polls would be appropriate on polls.org if such a site exists.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:01:17 PM
At 6/19/2015 10:58:34 PM, RevNge wrote:
She actually did it. LOL

If Peters says she's gonna do something, watch.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:01:40 PM
No
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:08:14 PM
At 6/19/2015 10:57:22 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

(1) Debates have academic and real-world value. They take significant time, effort, and research abilities. Opinons and Polls don't fall into this category. Responding to a poll takes seconds. It is a trivial amount of time.

(2) I have not known anyone who uses exclusively or mostly polls to be a core member of the site.

(3) Why are you trying a confrontational approach to this rather than privately PM Airmax and discuss the ups and downs with him? If you wanted to test public opinion, you could simply create a poll and link it to the forum posts. The tone of your post has a "rebellious" edge which I'm not sure I like because it doesn't make sense in this context.

(4) The polls and opinions sections are just objectively inferior to debates. Perhaps a HoF for polls would be appropriate on polls.org if such a site exists.

You'll see. You'll all see.

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:13:47 PM

Btw, I already did all of number 3 before you even posted this.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:20:06 PM

A lot of opinions have received highly researched and informed responses. I have done a few of these myself. A HOF entry can showcase questions that received an outstanding number of responses of this calibre. Even polls have stimulated a great amount of intelligent discussion, e.g. Mikal's poll on objective morality.
'Core member' seems to be quite a vague term. The Opinions and Polls sections of the site are like a different site of their own. A lot of members are very well-known in the Opinions/Polls sections, although they may not be well known to forum regulars. MasturDbtor, for example, is not a name any Opinions regular would miss. (I think I fall into this category myself.)

I would also point out that many forum regulars (e.g. Varrack and Lannan) visit the Polls quite frequently. Wylted and Imabench have regular ventures to the Polls section too. Imabench and donald.keller have both contributed extensively to Opinions.
I think she wrote it in such a tone partly for comedic effect.
Same could be said of forum threads...
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:21:14 PM
At 6/19/2015 10:47:59 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
Dear Users,

It has come to my attention that the DDO "Hall of Fame" (http://www.debate.org...) has a fatal flaw that neglects prominent portions of this site. As per the Hall of Fame rules, one must nominate 3 debates, 3 users, and 3 forum threads for the HOF. It appears that this "nomination" is heavily biased towards those who debate and those who participate in the forums. Thus, this "DDO Hall of Fame" is discriminatory towards users who enjoy the "opinions" and/or "polls" section of this website. It is fairly clear that these are in fact important sections of the website, but it is unfortunate to notice that the HOF doesn't believe these sections hold any significance. Thus, we are left with users who have spent hours, days, or even months of effort in attempting to improve the quality of the opinions and polls sections. It sickens me to know that a user, such as I, who has made it to the top of the poll leaderboards in a few months, and becoming a Junior Moderator as a result of it, is just thrown into the dirt and is thought nothing of. Then we have users who have contributed thousands of comments and votes to the polls and/or opinions section, sparking strong debates, who are blatantly disregarded just because they don't spend time formally debating. I can't speak for the opinions section, but I have noticed that the polls section has developed a strong community who are very much a part of this site, but this "Hall of Fame" recognizes none of this.

In an effort to improve the "fairness" and "quality" of the Hall of Fame, I would like to create a formal petition to airmax1227 to FULLY include the polls and opinions sections into the Hall of Fame. As a personal suggestion, have users nominate 3 users from the polls and opinions who have contributed strongly to the respective sections, 3 exceptional opinion arguments, and 3 polls for the HOF. It's simple and it would finally allow all users who contribute to this site to finally be fully included. Conventional wisdom would have it that the polls and opinions are "irrelevant" and "no one cares about them", but I do and I'm sure many others do. Unfortunately, one voice is usually never enough to bring about change to this website, thus I am calling out to the other users of this site, those who care about this site, those who contribute to the equally important opinions and polls, to request that airmax1227 officially includes the polls and opinions sections into the Hall of Fame.

Vote Here:

1. Diqiucun_Cunmin
Et al.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:32:06 PM
At 6/19/2015 11:01:40 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
No
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:32:58 PM

I'll also point out the amount of research and effort Peters puts into her polls. You should look at those. Her long polls are... very long lists, with very extensive coverage too (she's probably made the only ethics poll that allows me to vote for role ethics.) Her faceoffs are usually thought-provoking and serve as an excellent model for faceoffs.

Don't be a stat cynic:

Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:35:28 PM
And this is why I adore you...
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:38:43 PM
At 6/19/2015 11:35:55 PM, YYW wrote:
At 6/19/2015 11:01:40 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
No
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:42:10 PM
You guys care to explain why instead of just saying "no"? Would it really hurt anyone? If these "sections" matter so little then they wouldn't have been included in the first place. And what about the forums? What does that have to do with "debating" because I'm fairly sure that what you do in the forums can equally reflect arguments in the polls (asking a question and having people answer it).

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:46:45 PM
No.

The polls and opinions are unequivocally the worst sections of DDO.

Just no.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz

"No aspect of your facial structure suggests Filipino descent."
~ YYW
Kreakin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:47:15 PM
Dear Users,

It has come to my attention that the DDO "Hall of Fame" (http://www.debate.org......) has a fatal flaw that neglects prominent portions of this site. As per the Hall of Fame rules, one must nominate 3 debates, 3 users, and 3 forum threads for the HOF. It appears that this "nomination" is heavily biased towards those who debate and those who participate in the forums. Thus, this "DDO Hall of Fame" is discriminatory towards users who enjoy the "opinions" and/or "polls" section of this website. It is fairly clear that these are in fact important sections of the website, but it is unfortunate to notice that the HOF doesn't believe these sections hold any significance. Thus, we are left with users who have spent hours, days, or even months of effort in attempting to improve the quality of the opinions and polls sections. It sickens me to know that a user, such as I, who has made it to the top of the poll leaderboards in a few months, and becoming a Junior Moderator as a result of it, is just thrown into the dirt and is thought nothing of. Then we have users who have contributed thousands of comments and votes to the polls and/or opinions section, sparking strong debates, who are blatantly disregarded just because they don't spend time formally debating. I can't speak for the opinions section, but I have noticed that the polls section has developed a strong community who are very much a part of this site, but this "Hall of Fame" recognizes none of this.

Vote Here:

1. Diqiucun_Cunmin
2.Kreakin
Et al.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:47:20 PM
At 6/19/2015 11:42:10 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
You guys care to explain why instead of just saying "no"? Would it really hurt anyone? If these "sections" matter so little then they wouldn't have been included in the first place. And what about the forums? What does that have to do with "debating" because I'm fairly sure that what you do in the forums can equally reflect arguments in the polls (asking a question and having people answer it).

I personally don't think forums should be in the HOF. But even still, most forums are higher quality than opinions and polls--I still wouldn't put them in. I think debates and members are the only ones that make sense.
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:52:04 PM
At 6/19/2015 11:47:20 PM, 16kadams wrote:

I personally don't think forums should be in the HOF. But even still, most forums are higher quality than opinions and polls--I still wouldn't put them in. I think debates and members are the only ones that make sense.

I actually disagree with that. In my experience, forum threads have a far greater tendency to turn into 'Is not! Is too!'s than Opinions discussions...

Don't be a stat cynic:

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:52:45 PM

So you think that polls like these aren't of "higher quality": http://www.debate.org... http://www.debate.org... http://www.debate.org... http://www.debate.org... http://www.debate.org... http://www.debate.org... http://www.debate.org... http://www.debate.org... http://www.debate.org...

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:53:14 PM
At 6/19/2015 11:52:04 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

I actually disagree with that. In my experience, forum threads have a far greater tendency to turn into 'Is not! Is too!'s than Opinions discussions...

Depends on the forums. I think both are not worthy of permanent recognition. I worded that like a noob but whatever. All I need is this https://www.youtube.com...
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:53:46 PM
At 6/19/2015 11:47:15 PM, Kreakin wrote:
Dear Users,

It has come to my attention that the DDO "Hall of Fame" (http://www.debate.org......) has a fatal flaw that neglects prominent portions of this site. As per the Hall of Fame rules, one must nominate 3 debates, 3 users, and 3 forum threads for the HOF. It appears that this "nomination" is heavily biased towards those who debate and those who participate in the forums. Thus, this "DDO Hall of Fame" is discriminatory towards users who enjoy the "opinions" and/or "polls" section of this website. It is fairly clear that these are in fact important sections of the website, but it is unfortunate to notice that the HOF doesn't believe these sections hold any significance. Thus, we are left with users who have spent hours, days, or even months of effort in attempting to improve the quality of the opinions and polls sections. It sickens me to know that a user, such as I, who has made it to the top of the poll leaderboards in a few months, and becoming a Junior Moderator as a result of it, is just thrown into the dirt and is thought nothing of. Then we have users who have contributed thousands of comments and votes to the polls and/or opinions section, sparking strong debates, who are blatantly disregarded just because they don't spend time formally debating. I can't speak for the opinions section, but I have noticed that the polls section has developed a strong community who are very much a part of this site, but this "Hall of Fame" recognizes none of this.

Vote Here:

1. Diqiucun_Cunmin
2.Kreakin
3. Lee001
Et al.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:56:06 PM
At 6/19/2015 11:52:45 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

So you think that polls like these aren't of "higher quality": http://www.debate.org... http://www.debate.org... http://www.debate.org... http://www.debate.org... http://www.debate.org... http://www.debate.org... http://www.debate.org... http://www.debate.org... http://www.debate.org...

ima focus on the first one because I actually know about that issue

The questions are well researched (though Nicolosi's opinion really isn't that...) but the comments weren't really that high quality. I voted on it btw
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 12:06:32 AM

They don't even come close to the quality of debates. You researched a bunch of positions and people voted on them. There's no comparison to well-researched debates which approach near-academic quality at times.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 12:07:52 AM
At 6/19/2015 11:56:06 PM, 16kadams wrote:

The questions are well researched (though Nicolosi's opinion really isn't that...) but the comments weren't really that high quality. I voted on it btw

So? You argued that the polls don't have any "high quality polls". Clearly, there are some polls that have a HUGE amount of effort put into them. I have noticed polls with "good" comments, such as this one: http://www.debate.org... And most importantly MANY polls provide informative options and descriptions that enrich a user's understanding of the subject matter, such as this one: http://www.debate.org... for religions, this one: http://www.debate.org... for forms of government, this one: http://www.debate.org... for conservative ideologies, this one: http://www.debate.org... for the nationalist ideologies, and this one: http://www.debate.org... for feminist theory. I bet the information that can be received from the polls I provided GREATLY surpass debates that have the "selected" choices instead of ALL OF THEM.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 12:08:56 AM

Is morality a luxury

Do you need God for objective morality

Is any sexual activity OK between consenting adults

Is not wanting kids selfish

Age of consent

Patents (I actually exceeded the char limit for opinions)

Don't be a stat cynic:

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 12:12:31 AM
At 6/20/2015 12:06:32 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

They don't even come close to the quality of debates. You researched a bunch of positions and people voted on them. There's no comparison to well-researched debates which approach near-academic quality at times.

They're well-researched polls that, if someone cared enough, could provide a large amount of information on the topic at hand by reading the descriptions of the various options, possibly more than the typical debate. Did you know that all of these political parties existed: http://www.debate.org... ? How about these "conceptions of god" http://www.debate.org... ? Did you know all these questions existed?: http://www.debate.org...

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 12:12:44 AM
At 6/20/2015 12:07:52 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

So? You argued that the polls don't have any "high quality polls". Clearly, there are some polls that have a HUGE amount of effort put into them. I have noticed polls with "good" comments, such as this one: http://www.debate.org... And most importantly MANY polls provide informative options and descriptions that enrich a user's understanding of the subject matter, such as this one: http://www.debate.org... for religions, this one: http://www.debate.org... for forms of government, this one: http://www.debate.org... for conservative ideologies, this one: http://www.debate.org... for the nationalist ideologies, and this one: http://www.debate.org... for feminist theory. I bet the information that can be received from the polls I provided GREATLY surpass debates that have the "selected" choices instead of ALL OF THEM.

I don't think any of those near debate or heated forum quality, lol
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 12:14:31 AM
At 6/20/2015 12:08:56 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

Is morality a luxury

Do you need God for objective morality

Is any sexual activity OK between consenting adults

Is not wanting kids selfish

Age of consent

Patents (I actually exceeded the char limit for opinions)

Again, I don't think those are at debate-level nor the quality of most of the forums being nominated (I mean I haven't even looked at the forums being nominated, but unless they're sh!t and I am being failed then I doubt those actually take the cake). But again, I don't think forums should be up for the HOF either. So my position is still ideologically pure.