Jump to topic:

So i was thinking

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 2:17:30 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Intersite debates. My last thread about YickYak got me thinking about a challenge from DDO to YickYak (or another site). We could have a single person represent DDO but run a thread that would help provide argument and sources. This could work and be pretty fun. So i would be happy to back to YickYak make a challenge. We'd probably have to choose the turf, and it would probably need to be on YickYak first.

Any thoughts?
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 2:33:39 AM
At 8/15/2010 2:17:30 AM, innomen wrote:
Intersite debates. My last thread about YickYak got me thinking about a challenge from DDO to YickYak (or another site). We could have a single person represent DDO but run a thread that would help provide argument and sources. This could work and be pretty fun. So i would be happy to back to YickYak make a challenge. We'd probably have to choose the turf, and it would probably need to be on YickYak first.

Any thoughts?

Sounds cool... Problem is, who would be the representative? Would we pick off of the Leader board? Or whoever volunteers? And also the topic... What forums were the most popular on YickYak?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 2:35:20 AM
But the thing is... We only need a mediocre person from our site to win against Yick's best. It would be more humbling for them.
I miss the old members.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 2:36:36 AM
At 8/15/2010 2:34:53 AM, badger wrote:
godsands is our man i'd say.. make their heads explode.

... GodSands against Darqlord? Hell no. I don't think it will really matter since everyone will help with the arguments... But we do need someone with a firm grasp on the English language. So GodSands is out.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 2:44:33 AM
Or we could play tag - one member does one round then another member does the next and so on.

Or we could just meet them in a deserted car park down by the docks and kick their heads in?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 2:46:32 AM
Innomen had the good idea to create a thread so everyone could help out so we don't really need someone who can whoop @ss. I think Lwerd would be a good choice but this would require a bit of time so the next time she's on, we'll attack her and ask if she'd be up for it. :P
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 2:46:40 AM
At 8/15/2010 2:44:33 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Or we could play tag - one member does one round then another member does the next and so on.

Or we could just meet them in a deserted car park down by the docks and kick their heads in?

You mean like The OutSiders?
I miss the old members.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 2:49:47 AM
At 8/15/2010 2:46:40 AM, Atheism wrote:

Gonna kick some @ss with the name Soda? Or Two-Bit? How about Ponyboy? o.O

Love the book... but the names? Very interesting... Can't believe a 16 year old wrote it...
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 2:51:40 AM
At 8/15/2010 2:49:47 AM, annhasle wrote:
At 8/15/2010 2:46:40 AM, Atheism wrote:

Gonna kick some @ss with the name Soda? Or Two-Bit? How about Ponyboy? o.O

Love the book... but the names? Very interesting... Can't believe a 16 year old wrote it...
The names are so horrorshow.
Sorry, I've just read A Clock Work orange.
I miss the old members.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 2:57:34 AM
Wow, i didn't know a 16 yo wrote that.

Here's the thing. Because their site is so lame it doesn't get nearly the activity we get here. I would be sort of the middle man, they know me there, and i would start a thread that would initiate the challenge.

Whether of not someone takes the challenge is another thing, but Darq's ego is so big that I'm guessing he'll take it. Also, i know the guys that run the site and they would be psyched to get the attention that the site would get. DDO is a monster compared to their site.

The topic could be of their choosing, because we're just that good here. Who ever is willing to step up to the plate here to represent us would be fine, but we can also provide lots of help.

This is very doable, but they may complain that we would vote bomb.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 3:15:33 AM
At 8/15/2010 2:57:34 AM, innomen wrote:
Wow, i didn't know a 16 yo wrote that.

Here's the thing. Because their site is so lame it doesn't get nearly the activity we get here. I would be sort of the middle man, they know me there, and i would start a thread that would initiate the challenge.

Whether of not someone takes the challenge is another thing, but Darq's ego is so big that I'm guessing he'll take it. Also, i know the guys that run the site and they would be psyched to get the attention that the site would get. DDO is a monster compared to their site.

The topic could be of their choosing, because we're just that good here. Who ever is willing to step up to the plate here to represent us would be fine, but we can also provide lots of help.

This is very doable, but they may complain that we would vote bomb.

that's their problem
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 3:27:15 AM
We might not even need to decide who will represent us immediately or it may not even matter. They would love the additional traffic to their site. If there is some agreement in this on our side i will initiate the challenge. I will only be the middleman, so i don't want to be left hanging in the wind if all interest drops after the challenge has been made. But...upon thinking about that, i have a feeling that DDO would rally at the very thought of being whooped by YickYak.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 4:29:50 AM
It's your idea innomen, so front the debate as one of yours and if you are happy with any forum advice, apply it to each round. We have enough diversity here to adequately cover any debate topic.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 4:51:55 AM
Do it, but I think our representative depends on the debate topic. Religion ahould go to Popculture\Puck\etc., social issues to Lwerd, and so on.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 8:42:08 AM
At 8/15/2010 4:51:55 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Do it, but I think our representative depends on the debate topic. Religion ahould go to Popculture\Puck\etc., social issues to Lwerd, and so on.

Actually, i was going suggest that there be co-moderators and i would be one, and they would have one. Then if it went well we would then host one on DDO site.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 8:57:42 AM
At 8/15/2010 8:42:08 AM, innomen wrote:

Actually, i was going suggest that there be co-moderators and i would be one, and they would have one. Then if it went well we would then host one on DDO site.

Co-moderators?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 9:11:04 AM
At 8/15/2010 8:57:42 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Co-moderators?

By the way, i just got a friend request from Askbob.

I'm thinking that it would work best if there was some moderation between the sites during the debate. Bad idea? I know who runs that site, and i think he would be fine. It may just amount to some input from our side to their moderator. We don't really have moderators in our debates on this site, they do.
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 9:12:03 AM
If we can find a crazed anime nerd on the site, I can do a VS debate with him and kick his teeth in in the absence of L_M.
"We were having a philosophical discussion and I asserted that the only demonstrable reality is individual consciousness, but he insisted on the existence of a priori moral values that transcended free will. So I hit him." - Walon Vau
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 9:14:25 AM
At 8/15/2010 9:11:04 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/15/2010 8:57:42 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Co-moderators?

By the way, i just got a friend request from Askbob.

I'm thinking that it would work best if there was some moderation between the sites during the debate. Bad idea? I know who runs that site, and i think he would be fine. It may just amount to some input from our side to their moderator. We don't really have moderators in our debates on this site, they do.

Oh, I see. Well go for it, but we need a candidate from our side tot step up to the plate, and that largely depends on the topic. If the topic is anything to do with social issues, I'd be willing to take it.

I take it we'd do a debate here for every debate we do there?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 9:16:06 AM
At 8/15/2010 9:14:25 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Oh, I see. Well go for it, but we need a candidate from our side tot step up to the plate, and that largely depends on the topic. If the topic is anything to do with social issues, I'd be willing to take it.

I'd wait until we see how the first one goes or even if they'd take the bait. If we don't follow through with the challenge, i will let them know that we forfeit...that would be a crying shame.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 9:16:45 AM
Do we really want to draw the attention of the lower classes?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 9:17:47 AM
At 8/15/2010 9:16:45 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

nope.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 9:18:00 AM

Is that in reference to Askbob? Or just a generalization of their members, you know all 6 of them?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 9:18:56 AM
At 8/15/2010 9:16:06 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/15/2010 9:14:25 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

I'd wait until we see how the first one goes or even if they'd take the bait. If we don't follow through with the challenge, i will let them know that we forfeit...that would be a crying shame.

Well, offer them the bait, and negotiate a debate topic. We'll work from there.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 9:19:57 AM
At 8/15/2010 9:18:00 AM, innomen wrote:

Is that in reference to Askbob? Or just a generalization of their members, you know all 6 of them?

lol did he go there
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 9:28:26 AM
I just got the friend request at YickYak this morning from Askbob. I have a feeling he watches what goes on here a lot.

I've already touched base with their site manager. I just don't want us to drop the ball.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 1:53:36 PM
At 8/15/2010 2:35:20 AM, Atheism wrote:
But the thing is... We only need a mediocre person from our site to win against Yick's best. It would be more humbling for them.

I'm mediocre. Prolly better then most of yickyack and definately worse then most of DDO. I'm not sure how I would feel about debating on an unfalimiar site with unfamiliar topics tho.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2010 2:05:08 PM
At 8/15/2010 1:53:36 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 8/15/2010 2:35:20 AM, Atheism wrote:

I'm mediocre. Prolly better then most of yickyack and definately worse then most of DDO. I'm not sure how I would feel about debating on an unfalimiar site with unfamiliar topics tho.

We were going to get you to debate?