Jump to topic:

Thumbs up & Thumbs down on Forum posts

Najs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 11:35:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What do you think of the idea of being able to give a thumbs up or thumbs down on a member's post for the forum? Do you think its a good idea?
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 3:10:13 AM
At 6/26/2015 11:35:27 PM, Najs wrote:
What do you think of the idea of being able to give a thumbs up or thumbs down on a member's post for the forum? Do you think its a good idea?

No, I'm afraid not... particularly not the thumbs down. The biases of DDO users will be reflected. Users with unpopular views will get lots of thumbs down.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Najs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 3:30:04 AM
At 6/27/2015 3:10:13 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

No, I'm afraid not... particularly not the thumbs down. The biases of DDO users will be reflected. Users with unpopular views will get lots of thumbs down.

OK, that fair to say. What about the thumbs up? There's always posts I wish I could thumb up if I could.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 3:42:00 AM
I don't see what's good about this. Even if you could only "like" a comment, it could encourage people to appeal to the masses rather than just say what they want, and express themselves intuitively.

We do well without it.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 10:40:55 AM
No me gusta.

I agree with the others that this could lead to far too much bias and perhaps even potential arguments among users and/or flame wars--the example being if someone sees another user has liked a *bad* comment directly about them.

If you disagree with a forum post, you can state that by responding it or simply ignoring it. And if you really like a post you can just "+1" it.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 11:00:49 AM
I think positive only can work a lot better. if you dislike something, you should be able to articulate the problems, whereas when you like something, it tends to be redundant to make a full on post about how much you agree with it.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 8:23:02 PM
Is there actually anybody that can make any changes on this site anymore though? I know about the whole thing about Juggle buying DDO, but they haven't done anything that I can recall in at least a year...
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 8:41:25 PM
At 6/27/2015 8:23:02 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
Is there actually anybody that can make any changes on this site anymore though? I know about the whole thing about Juggle buying DDO, but they haven't done anything that I can recall in at least a year...

I haven't been active for a whole but it looks like there was a breakdown in the way things got changed on DDO. That or juggle is just really really slacking on the site.

I can remember times when they would do a lot when the community was working towards real change and when they gave up with the community spent more time crying and complaining about different sects with the community.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 8:43:17 PM
At 6/27/2015 8:41:25 PM, jharry wrote:

I haven't been active for a whole but it looks like there was a breakdown in the way things got changed on DDO. That or juggle is just really really slacking on the site.

I can remember times when they would do a lot when the community was working towards real change and when they gave up with the community spent more time crying and complaining about different sects with the community.

That's too bad. I think DDO certainly has a lot of room for improvement.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 8:51:06 PM
At 6/27/2015 8:43:17 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
At 6/27/2015 8:41:25 PM, jharry wrote:

That's too bad. I think DDO certainly has a lot of room for improvement.

It is, I doubt there will ever be "perfection" buy it can never hurt to keep improving.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Daktoria
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2015 12:41:04 PM

Most forums that implement the idea become cesspools soon after. People no longer care about saying sophisticated points. They just care about being witty in the moment.

DDO is already a cesspool though, so it could work.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2015 3:10:33 PM

I think it's a bad idea. First of all, it's pointless. It doesn't add anything to the conversation. Second, it adds an unnecessary emotional element to the conversation that wouldn't otherwise be there. It'll stroke some egos and hurt some feelings. I don't see how anything good could come of it. It serves no productive purpose.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Najs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2015 4:21:29 PM

If you disagree with a forum post, you can state that by responding it or simply ignoring it. And if you really like a post you can just "+1" it.

Ok