Jump to topic:

Attempts to shift the BOP

RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 2:07:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I recently saw this post in an Internet chatroom: "I think everyone is bi, but many have yet to admit it to themselves." (bi = bisexual) I responded along the lines of "That says that genetic differences are not real, as logical as 'no one is real tall or really short.' No, Kinsey discovered that there really is spectrum of sexual preference. "

From the viewpoint of debate, there is a category of claims designed to deny any possible rebuttal. A few years ago there was a guy who published a book that maintained that women really wanted to be dominated men, but wouldn't admit it. On TV they put him against a feminist who denounced his theory as rubbish, to which he predictably responded, "See, I told you they wouldn't admit."

The current version is "All white people are secretly racist." All denial arguments are rebutted by, "See, they just cannot admit it." Anyone making a claim has the obligation to prove it, not shift the burden to disproof.
Preston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 2:24:42 PM
At 7/2/2015 2:07:11 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I recently saw this post in an Internet chatroom: "I think everyone is bi, but many have yet to admit it to themselves." (bi = bisexual) I responded along the lines of "That says that genetic differences are not real, as logical as 'no one is real tall or really short.' No, Kinsey discovered that there really is spectrum of sexual preference. "

From the viewpoint of debate, there is a category of claims designed to deny any possible rebuttal. A few years ago there was a guy who published a book that maintained that women really wanted to be dominated men, but wouldn't admit it. On TV they put him against a feminist who denounced his theory as rubbish, to which he predictably responded, "See, I told you they wouldn't admit."

The current version is "All white people are secretly racist." All denial arguments are rebutted by, "See, they just cannot admit it." Anyone making a claim has the obligation to prove it, not shift the burden to disproof.

This is the same theory Freud used, with his theory that states women envy male genitalia but wont admit it. Its true that they must proove it, you cannot make a claim that is cannot be opposed such as "everyone can fly, they just dont know it" because everyone will say "No moron, i cant fly" and you will say here is my proof!

Honestly there is a fallacy on this:
Negative proof fallacy: that, because a premise cannot be proven false, the premise must be true; or that, because a premise cannot be proven true, the premise must be false.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - George Carlin
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 2:29:47 PM
At 7/2/2015 2:24:42 PM, Preston wrote:

This is the same theory Freud used, with his theory that states women envy male genitalia but wont admit it. Its true that they must proove it, you cannot make a claim that is cannot be opposed such as "everyone can fly, they just dont know it" because everyone will say "No moron, i cant fly" and you will say here is my proof!

Honestly there is a fallacy on this:
Negative proof fallacy: that, because a premise cannot be proven false, the premise must be true; or that, because a premise cannot be proven true, the premise must be false.

People make that fallacy all the time. I've had opponent's use that on me, but I just point out their misuse of logic.
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 2:39:13 PM

Non-Falsifiable statements tend to be quite moronic. Like how Obama is a shape-changing alien lizard, and if he doesn't transform into one right now it's just further proof that he's in disguise! Or 9/11 was an inside job, that people deny it just means they're in on it.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...