Airmax1227 Moderator Update 7/8/15

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 9:02:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hey DDO!

I hope you are all well. How's it going?

I figured it was time for another update so here goes:

1) Firstly, I'd like to thank Bsh1 for all the work he's doing. In just a short time he's done some great stuff, and there's plenty more to come.

I'd like to invite new members who are interested in improving their debating skills to check out the Read Me sticky (Post #17 - http://www.debate.org...). The program is an excellent resource if you'd like to learn everything there is about being a great debater. So take advantage of that opportunity as soon as you can, and contact Zaradi now!

2) Vote Moderation

There have been several conversations about vote moderation and I assure everyone that I have read everything that has been written lately, and I've talked with BSH at length about future possibilities relating to it.

In the meantime, I do want to inform everyone that in the near future F-16 will be stepping down as the Head Voting Moderator.

I want to express my deepest gratitude to F-16 for all the work he has done as voting moderator. It's a tough and time consuming responsibility, and he has done a terrific job during the time he's held the position.

Bluesteel is currently still taking a break from the job, though he will be involved in vote moderation to some degree, though to a lesser extent until he has the time once again to return to vote moderation in the capacity he is willing to. I'd also like to thank Bluesteel for all the work he has done for vote moderation. I can not say enough about the work he has done and how much it has meant to me personally.

I believe it goes without saying that Bluesteel and F-16's work on vote moderation has been nothing less than extraordinary. I wish both of them the best, and hope that they can contribute in whatever way they are able to again at some point in the future.

Of course vote moderation will still continue, and with this in mind Whiteflame is currently being trained by F-16, Bluesteel and myself to take over as head vote moderator soon.

I'd like to thank Whiteflame for agreeing to this responsibility, and I look forward to working him on vote moderation related issues. Currently I'm working on finding a new deputy vote moderator and should have that position filled in the near future so that vote moderation can continue as it has.

Like most things on the site, vote moderation will always be a work in progress and I look forward to the many conversations will we have about it.

3) 300,000 Accounts!

DDO now has over 300k created accounts.

Account # 300K goes to: http://www.debate.org...

4) Presidential Election Voting Standards:

Bsh and I (and others) have talked at length about this over the last 6 months or so. Recently we began talking about it again and settled on what we believe are good standards, and a good place to start any new conversations about what we'd like voting standards to be.

The most recent elections standards were 2 months minimum membership with 3 debates finished with no forfeits and 100 forum posts or 250 combined Opinion Arguments, Opinion Questions, Poll Votes, Poll Topics.

Bsh and I have agreed that the following represent a better standard:

Members must have 2 months of minimum membership on the site, and must also meet one of the following bullets:

- 1,000 posts
- 5 debates without any forfeits AND 100 posts
- 3 debates without any forfeits AND 50 poll or opinion topics/questions that haven't been deleted by mods AND 100 posts
- 500 posts AND 50 poll or opinion topics/questions that haven't been deleted by mods

Certainly we have plenty of time to discuss these standards. There are certainly aspects many will agree with and disagree with, and in the coming months there will be discussions on this topic so that we may implement the most ideal standards.

As always, if you have any questions, or need anything at all, always feel free to contact me at any time.

Thanks.
Debate.org Moderator
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 9:04:27 PM
I think whiteflame will do an excellent job as voting moderator. Certainly, thanks go ot F16 and Bluesteel for their hard work, as well.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 11:11:51 PM
At 7/8/2015 9:04:27 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I think whiteflame will do an excellent job as voting moderator. Certainly, thanks go ot F16 and Bluesteel for their hard work, as well.

Thanks, bsh1. And thanks to airmax as well for bringing me on. I'll do my best to ensure that voting is held to the basic standards of the site, and that's thanks in no small part to both F-16 and bluesteel's efforts. They laid the groundwork, I'll just be building on their efforts.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 12:38:46 AM
At 7/8/2015 9:02:11 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Hey DDO!

1) Firstly, I'd like to thank Bsh1 for all the work he's doing. In just a short time he's done some great stuff, and there's plenty more to come.

I'd like to invite new members who are interested in improving their debating skills to check out the Read Me sticky (Post #17 - http://www.debate.org...). The program is an excellent resource if you'd like to learn everything there is about being a great debater. So take advantage of that opportunity as soon as you can, and contact Zaradi now!

2) Vote Moderation

There have been several conversations about vote moderation and I assure everyone that I have read everything that has been written lately, and I've talked with BSH at length about future possibilities relating to it.

In the meantime, I do want to inform everyone that in the near future F-16 will be stepping down as the Head Voting Moderator.

I want to express my deepest gratitude to F-16 for all the work he has done as voting moderator. It's a tough and time consuming responsibility, and he has done a terrific job during the time he's held the position.

Bluesteel is currently still taking a break from the job, though he will be involved in vote moderation to some degree, though to a lesser extent until he has the time once again to return to vote moderation in the capacity he is willing to. I'd also like to thank Bluesteel for all the work he has done for vote moderation. I can not say enough about the work he has done and how much it has meant to me personally.

I believe it goes without saying that Bluesteel and F-16's work on vote moderation has been nothing less than extraordinary. I wish both of them the best, and hope that they can contribute in whatever way they are able to again at some point in the future.

Of course vote moderation will still continue, and with this in mind Whiteflame is currently being trained by F-16, Bluesteel and myself to take over as head vote moderator soon.

I'd like to thank Whiteflame for agreeing to this responsibility, and I look forward to working him on vote moderation related issues. Currently I'm working on finding a new deputy vote moderator and should have that position filled in the near future so that vote moderation can continue as it has.

Like most things on the site, vote moderation will always be a work in progress and I look forward to the many conversations will we have about it.

3) 300,000 Accounts!

How many of those users are active?

Bsh and I (and others) have talked at length about this over the last 6 months or so. Recently we began talking about it again and settled on what we believe are good standards, and a good place to start any new conversations about what we'd like voting standards to be.

The most recent elections standards were 2 months minimum membership with 3 debates finished with no forfeits and 100 forum posts or 250 combined Opinion Arguments, Opinion Questions, Poll Votes, Poll Topics.

Members must have 2 months of minimum membership on the site, and must also meet one of the following bullets:

- 1,000 posts
- 3 debates without any forfeits AND 50 poll or opinion topics/questions that haven't been deleted by mods AND 100 posts
- 500 posts AND 50 poll or opinion topics/questions that haven't been deleted by mods

Certainly we have plenty of time to discuss these standards. There are certainly aspects many will agree with and disagree with, and in the coming months there will be discussions on this topic so that we may implement the most ideal standards.

As always, if you have any questions, or need anything at all, always feel free to contact me at any time.

Thanks.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 6:06:14 AM
Best of luck as voting moderator, whiteflame! You'll do a brilliant job.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
greatkitteh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 6:59:11 AM
At 7/8/2015 9:02:11 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Hey DDO!

2) Vote Moderation

3) 300,000 Accounts!

- 1,000 posts

Thanks.

Is F-16 Just steping down as vote Moderator or leaving the site?
greatkitteh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 6:59:48 AM
At 7/8/2015 11:11:51 PM, whiteflame wrote:
At 7/8/2015 9:04:27 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Thanks, bsh1. And thanks to airmax as well for bringing me on. I'll do my best to ensure that voting is held to the basic standards of the site, and that's thanks in no small part to both F-16 and bluesteel's efforts. They laid the groundwork, I'll just be building on their efforts.

Goodluck as Vote moderator!
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 7:54:25 AM
At 7/9/2015 6:06:14 AM, tejretics wrote:
Best of luck as voting moderator, whiteflame! You'll do a brilliant job.

At 7/9/2015 12:13:25 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
And thanks to Bluesteel and F-16 for all their exceptional work.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 2:47:43 PM
At 7/9/2015 1:52:35 PM, Philocat wrote:
I thought Bluesteel was a she?

Nope. He's a guy, he just likes everyone to think he's a girl in order to mess with them.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

Philocat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 5:05:59 PM
At 7/9/2015 2:47:43 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Nope. He's a guy, he just likes everyone to think he's a girl in order to mess with them.

Hmm.. That's a bit odd...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 6:28:35 PM
At 7/9/2015 5:05:59 PM, Philocat wrote:

I don't think so, Thett does the same thing. It's kinda funny, actually, lol...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 8:34:18 PM
As a general rule, I am happy to see that other people are doing this. I have no interest really in doing it myself, but I'm certain that other people can do a decent enough job, and I am very relieved to hear that Whiteflame is up to the task. I wish him well.
Tsar of DDO
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 9:22:41 PM
At 7/9/2015 8:34:18 PM, YYW wrote:
As a general rule, I am happy to see that other people are doing this. I have no interest really in doing it myself, but I'm certain that other people can do a decent enough job, and I am very relieved to hear that Whiteflame is up to the task. I wish him well.

Yeah, I figured. You were one of the names I was considering recommending you to Airmax but had a gut feeling that you'd be the last person to want anything to do with moderation. It is a funny feeling to know that my gut was right.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 9:26:52 PM
At 7/9/2015 9:22:41 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 7/9/2015 8:34:18 PM, YYW wrote:

Yeah, I figured. You were one of the names I was considering recommending you to Airmax but had a gut feeling that you'd be the last person to want anything to do with moderation. It is a funny feeling to know that my gut was right.

Well I'm not saying that I'd never do the work, but as long as other people are willing to do work, I'm happy to let them.

(lol)
Tsar of DDO
Philocat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 2:22:49 AM
At 7/9/2015 6:28:35 PM, bsh1 wrote:

What!? Thett is a guy too? :o
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 2:46:16 AM

Really? Well then this calls for debate Zaradi vs BSH1. Is the user Bluesteel a male or a female? Why Zaradi cause he already won a debate like this http://www.debate.org...
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 2:49:53 AM
I don't think there is a better candidate for a vote moderator than Whiteflame.

I believe he will serve the role exceptionally well.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 1:04:37 PM
At 7/10/2015 2:46:16 AM, ClashnBoom wrote:

Really? Well then this calls for debate Zaradi vs BSH1. Is the user Bluesteel a male or a female? Why Zaradi cause he already won a debate like this http://www.debate.org...

LMFAO...Only if Zaradi agrees to finish this shirt-removing debate.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 1:05:07 PM
At 7/10/2015 2:22:49 AM, Philocat wrote:
At 7/9/2015 6:28:35 PM, bsh1 wrote:

What!? Thett is a guy too? :o

Lol. Yes, he is.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics