Jump to topic:

ddo

Lexus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 2:15:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
It stands for debate.org, not spamtheforums.org. Nobody on this website really cares about debate... most of the prominent members on the forums spam the forums 24/7 with unhealthy discussion and clique-y behavior.

I feel like I have gained nothing through my experience through DDO other than the knowledge that people take years to vote on debates, the knowledge that people that are active don't even debate, and I have gained a negative amount of brain cells reading through the forums looking for quality discussion.

I joined this website so I could debate some cool and interesting topics that appealed to me, not waiting for 3 weeks for someone to accept a debate about something that tons of people are passionate about. I didn't join to elect a president who doesn't change anything, but we all stand here and say "omg! we did it, guys! we finally have a democracy!" It doesn't matter, I don't expect any changes that matter to happen on the site soon with any new administration.

When I joined I felt the site was a fun place and I could have a lot of fun here in the future. Now I feel like it is a burden to try to find quality discussion or debates, because nobody takes anything seriously.

deactivating
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 2:25:48 AM
At 7/14/2015 2:15:41 AM, Lexus wrote:
It stands for debate.org, not spamtheforums.org. Nobody on this website really cares about debate... most of the prominent members on the forums spam the forums 24/7 with unhealthy discussion and clique-y behavior.

I feel like I have gained nothing through my experience through DDO other than the knowledge that people take years to vote on debates, the knowledge that people that are active don't even debate, and I have gained a negative amount of brain cells reading through the forums looking for quality discussion.

I think that there is a lot of quality discussion on DDO, though it may be hard to find. In my sig, my "Presidential Update" highlights some good forums and debates to check out if you're interested. I think the spam is mostly contained to the misc forum now, regardless.

I joined this website so I could debate some cool and interesting topics that appealed to me, not waiting for 3 weeks for someone to accept a debate about something that tons of people are passionate about.

What would you like to debate? I am usually willing to debate most topics. I think that everyone has trouble to find people to accept debates on occasion, even on popular subjects. But, you have found 47 debate partners at least, so it is clearly not impossible to locate opponents.

I didn't join to elect a president who doesn't change anything, but we all stand here and say "omg! we did it, guys! we finally have a democracy!" It doesn't matter, I don't expect any changes that matter to happen on the site soon with any new administration.

I think, as President, I am doing a lot. Keep in mind, it's only been about 1 month into my administration. With only 1/6th of it complete, I can hardly be expected to have brought radical change to the site. Usually, significant change happens gradually. The thread in my sig (which I mentioned earlier) lists some of the stuff I've done and am doing, if you're interested.

When I joined I felt the site was a fun place and I could have a lot of fun here in the future. Now I feel like it is a burden to try to find quality discussion or debates, because nobody takes anything seriously.

I don't think that's fair. I think some highly visible users don't take things seriously, but they're the minority, not the majority. Oftentimes a vociferous minority can appear more prevalent than the silent majority, and I think that may be the case with what you're experiencing here.

deactivating

Please don't. I am sure that there is still a lot you can get out of the site. PM me and I may be able to help point you in the right direction.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
heyfur_1213
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 2:31:35 AM
At 7/14/2015 2:25:48 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I think that there is a lot of quality discussion on DDO, though it may be hard to find. In my sig, my "Presidential Update" highlights some good forums and debates to check out if you're interested. I think the spam is mostly contained to the misc forum now, regardless.

I joined this website so I could debate some cool and interesting topics that appealed to me, not waiting for 3 weeks for someone to accept a debate about something that tons of people are passionate about.

What would you like to debate? I am usually willing to debate most topics. I think that everyone has trouble to find people to accept debates on occasion, even on popular subjects. But, you have found 47 debate partners at least, so it is clearly not impossible to locate opponents.

I didn't join to elect a president who doesn't change anything, but we all stand here and say "omg! we did it, guys! we finally have a democracy!" It doesn't matter, I don't expect any changes that matter to happen on the site soon with any new administration.

I think, as President, I am doing a lot. Keep in mind, it's only been about 1 month into my administration. With only 1/6th of it complete, I can hardly be expected to have brought radical change to the site. Usually, significant change happens gradually. The thread in my sig (which I mentioned earlier) lists some of the stuff I've done and am doing, if you're interested.

I don't think that's fair. I think some highly visible users don't take things seriously, but they're the minority, not the majority. Oftentimes a vociferous minority can appear more prevalent than the silent majority, and I think that may be the case with what you're experiencing here.

deactivating

Please don't. I am sure that there is still a lot you can get out of the site. PM me and I may be able to help point you in the right direction.

Wow...He didn't even hear you out..That's rude. You took the time to write all that out. I'd really like to apologize on his behalf.
Lexus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 2:34:18 AM
At 7/14/2015 2:31:35 AM, heyfur_1213 wrote:

deactivating

Wow...He didn't even hear you out..That's rude. You took the time to write all that out. I'd really like to apologize on his behalf.

ok
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 2:39:30 AM

I mean, he didn't know I was going to post, so it's all good.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

heyfur_1213
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 2:39:34 AM
At 7/14/2015 2:34:18 AM, Lexus wrote:

deactivating

ok

"ok"? Really, that's you reply... What do you expect? Deactivating or closing your account right after making a new forum in which obviously people are going to reply and post to, seems kind of rude. I'm sorry if I offended you, that wasn't my intention. But if I were Bish, I'd be kind of irritated. I could've sworn it read "account is closed"... I didn't know you can re-open an account.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 2:40:12 AM

Would you be willing to stay if I could help you find some interesting discussion or debate?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

heyfur_1213
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 2:41:11 AM
At 7/14/2015 2:39:30 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I mean, he didn't know I was going to post, so it's all good.

He didn't know that you specifically were going to post. But it's a new forum, someone's bound to post.
heyfur_1213
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 2:42:04 AM
At 7/14/2015 2:40:12 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Would you be willing to stay if I could help you find some interesting discussion or debate?

He did it again...Will you say he didn't know this time?
heyfur_1213
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 2:43:14 AM
At 7/14/2015 2:39:34 AM, heyfur_1213 wrote:

deactivating

ok

"ok"? Really, that's you reply... What do you expect? Deactivating or closing your account right after making a new forum in which obviously people are going to reply and post to, seems kind of rude. I'm sorry if I offended you, that wasn't my intention. But if I were Bish, I'd be kind of irritated. I could've sworn it read "account is no longer active"... I didn't know you can re-open an account.

fix'd
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 2:45:40 AM
At 7/14/2015 2:42:04 AM, heyfur_1213 wrote:

I mean, I would rather work with him than antagonize him if possible. I would like him to respond, but if he doesn't wish to, there's not much I can do. But, from what I've seen, he's a decent contributor to the site and I hope he changes his mind and decides to stay.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

heyfur_1213
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 2:50:31 AM
At 7/14/2015 2:45:40 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I mean, I would rather work with him than antagonize him if possible. I would like him to respond, but if he doesn't wish to, there's not much I can do. But, from what I've seen, he's a decent contributor to the site and I hope he changes his mind and decides to stay.

That's a good way of looking at it. I'm sure he'll come around. :)
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 2:51:37 AM
At 7/14/2015 2:50:31 AM, heyfur_1213 wrote:

I hope so :)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

heyfur_1213
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 3:07:09 AM
At 7/14/2015 2:51:37 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 7/14/2015 2:50:31 AM, heyfur_1213 wrote:

I hope so :)

(:
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 3:59:31 AM

I joined this website so I could debate some cool and interesting topics that appealed to me, not waiting for 3 weeks for someone to accept a debate about something that tons of people are passionate about. I didn't join to elect a president who doesn't change anything, but we all stand here and say "omg! we did it, guys! we finally have a democracy!" It doesn't matter, I don't expect any changes that matter to happen on the site soon with any new administration.

deactivating

I like debating. If you're waiting a while to find someone to accept one of your debates, just message me. Even if it's out of my comfort zone, we can negotiate a resolution and debate something.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 5:42:26 AM

*her
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 5:43:58 AM

deactivating

Why do you spend time in the forums, then? The social part of the site is limited to the Misc, Debate.org, Games and Personal forums ... You should just stay away from them. There are multiple people willing to engage in quality debates. There will obviously be those here for the social part, but that doesn't need to harm you.

Please come back! D:
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 8:52:15 AM

deactivating

I think you're exaggerating.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 9:10:32 AM
I agree about the childish behaviour. I have nothing against a little fun once in a while, but I seriously have trouble seeing why many people here engage in stupid, nonsensical activity on a regular basis.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 11:09:21 AM

deactivating

Lexus, what about our "Plants Should Have The Right To Vote" debate? D:
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 3:22:17 PM
At 7/14/2015 5:42:26 AM, tejretics wrote:

*her

His profile said he was a guy when it was still open.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 3:23:01 PM
At 7/14/2015 5:42:26 AM, tejretics wrote:

*her

Actually, nevermind. I must've misread.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 10:39:35 PM
Honestly, I don't really see the problem. Sure, their is a lot of spam on this site. But serious discussion still makes up a good majority of DDO and is not at all difficult to find.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW