Jump to topic:

Google Hangouts?

plants
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 12:56:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I am familiar with hang outs as I have used them with my friends in the past? I'd like to join one on debate.org but I have a few questions. YYW was able to give me some information, but I still have a few things I'd like to know.

-What do you do in google hangouts?

I've noticed that "bsh1" set up a jeopardy game and I've heard people say that mafia is played in the hangouts as well. YYW said sometimes people just talk.
I'd specifically enjoy mafia. I played a few times on my brothers mafiascum account, but DDO mafia looks really really different from what I've seen on the forums. How does mafia via google hangouts differ? How can I know when it is being played?

-How many people talk/show their face?

I don't really want to show my face or talk, at least not initially. Will I be the odd one out if I don't show my face?
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 2:09:29 PM
At 7/15/2015 12:56:54 PM, plants wrote:

We chat with one another, and we play live mafia/jeopardy although mafia is more common. It's literally just hanging out with friends. Ultimately it allows for us to communicate and interact with one another in a way that isn't achievable through DDO text-based interaction.

I'd specifically enjoy mafia. I played a few times on my brothers mafiascum account, but DDO mafia looks really really different from what I've seen on the forums. How does mafia via google hangouts differ? How can I know when it is being played?

Well... usually the mafia games are hosted by Joey - the one who you called out in your noob-sniping thread. Since he left the site, there probably won't be as many announcement/invite threads but for the most part you'll see someone make an invitation thread or you'll receive an invite via profile comments or PM's.

Mafia in google hangouts differs in that it's much faster paced, so you have less time to create a strategy which serves to make it more challenging and, in my opinion, more fun.

That really depends on who is in the hangout. Some people won't show their face no matter what, or they won't have a video cam for their computer. I've been in hangouts where everyone has their cams on, and other times where no-one has their cams on. It just varies. It's no biggie if you don't have a cam though, all you truly need is a mic to play live mafia in the hangouts.

I'd actually recommend no cams during the mafia games because sometimes the face reveals all.

I don't really want to show my face or talk, at least not initially. Will I be the odd one out if I don't show my face?

No, not at all.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 3:34:45 PM
At 7/15/2015 12:56:54 PM, plants wrote:
I am familiar with hang outs as I have used them with my friends in the past? I'd like to join one on debate.org but I have a few questions. YYW was able to give me some information, but I still have a few things I'd like to know.

I think, perhaps, the best response to this point is: join some hangouts sometime and find out. That's not meant to be flippant, it's just that experiencing a few hangouts is probably the best way to really understand them.

A variety of things. Mafia, Risk, DDO Jeopardy!, general chatting, interviews, etc.

It's live mafia, done mostly vocally rather than through text. A whole game is usually completed in 45 minutes to an hour, and a game is capped at 9 players and 1 mod, since only 10 people can be in a hangout at once.

Enough to make it worthwhile. The exact number varies on the night, but usually 2-4.

No, you won't. I never show my face.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
mystery_man43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 5:17:42 PM
Debate.org really just needs to create their own group system. It would be awesome if we could create groups on DDO.
I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan