Jump to topic:

Gender of debaters.

BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 1:03:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I sometimes find it difficult when a male debater has a profile picture with a female in it. I could look up their profile but usually do't put in that effort and so I can mistakenly call a male, a female based on their picture.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
Preston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 1:05:29 PM
At 7/15/2015 1:03:39 PM, BennyW wrote:
I sometimes find it difficult when a male debater has a profile picture with a female in it. I could look up their profile but usually do't put in that effort and so I can mistakenly call a male, a female based on their picture.

Can a guy not look feminine?
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - George Carlin
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 1:07:15 PM
At 7/15/2015 1:05:29 PM, Preston wrote:

Th's not white I mane. I am talking about clearly female. I will try to find an example.
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 1:07:25 PM

I don't think that's what he's talking about.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 1:09:12 PM
At 7/15/2015 1:07:15 PM, BennyW wrote:

Th's not white I mane. I am talking about clearly female. I will try to find an example.

Haiya
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 1:24:49 PM

Because they have the right to do so. Does it bother you? Maybe it does. Unless, you're gay and are scoping out guys and you're mad because their default picture is of a girl..?
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 1:35:21 PM

*cough* Zaradi *cough* Bluesteel *cough* XLAV *cough*

Did I miss anyone? I kind of feel like I did.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 1:41:08 PM
At 7/15/2015 1:35:21 PM, RevNge wrote:

XLAV is a girl...trust me.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 1:41:21 PM
At 7/15/2015 1:24:49 PM, Lee001 wrote:

Because they have the right to do so. Does it bother you? Maybe it does. Unless, you're gay and are scoping out guys and you're mad because their default picture is of a girl..?

I don't think he's mad, I think he is just confused. Don't take offense, Hannah.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 1:41:52 PM
At 7/15/2015 1:41:21 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

I don't think he's mad, I think he is just confused. Don't take offense, Hannah.

I wasn't taking offense? I think its funny.

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 1:44:34 PM
At 7/15/2015 1:41:52 PM, Lee001 wrote:
At 7/15/2015 1:41:21 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

I wasn't taking offense? I think its funny.

Okay, I must have misunderstood you. My apologies.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 1:46:37 PM
So I'm a puppy then?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 1:58:00 PM
At 7/15/2015 1:41:08 PM, Lee001 wrote:
At 7/15/2015 1:35:21 PM, RevNge wrote:

XLAV is a girl...trust me.

XLAV is about as much of a girl as Wylted is a pro-black activist.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 1:58:38 PM
At 7/15/2015 1:46:37 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
So I'm a puppy then?

A cute one.

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 2:07:43 PM
At 7/15/2015 2:02:05 PM, RevNge wrote:
Apparently I'm a chibi version of L that is trapped on top of a cake.

I'll take that strawberry ;p

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 2:10:38 PM
At 7/15/2015 2:07:43 PM, Lee001 wrote:

Nuu mine D:<
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 2:11:22 PM
At 7/15/2015 2:10:38 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 7/15/2015 2:07:43 PM, Lee001 wrote:

Nuu mine D:<

Share with meeehh :(

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 2:12:33 PM

It doesn't particularly upset me and they have have their picture be anything they like, I am just saying it can get confusing.
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 2:16:59 PM
At 7/15/2015 2:14:27 PM, Varrack wrote:
So I'm a jaguar then. I used to be a pegasi a couple weeks ago.

Yeah, Varrack I have no idea how to address you based on your photo! :)
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 2:19:37 PM
At 7/15/2015 2:16:59 PM, kasmic wrote:
At 7/15/2015 2:14:27 PM, Varrack wrote:
So I'm a jaguar then. I used to be a pegasus a couple weeks ago.

Yeah, Varrack I have no idea how to address you based on your photo! :)

Call me "it". Just kidding, assume the person or animal in my picture is male I guess.
Philocat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 4:14:20 PM
I understand where OP is coming from. Of course they can have a profile pic of a girl if they want, but it just seems pointlessly confusing. It's as if they're *trying* to confuse people.

Also, it can cause people to use the wrong pronouns. For example, the other day I voted on one of Zaradi's debates and I referred to her as a she because I saw she had a female picture so it is a valid inference to conclude that this picture is of herself. It was only later that I realised he is male.

Of course it's a minor issue, but it is ever so slightly annoying.