Jump to topic:

Abuse of second profiles for easy wins

hldemi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 11:02:27 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
There are so many debates done by some debaters with high win percentage and many of their debates were won by opponent forfeiting all the rounds except first. This smells to me as the abuse of second profiles to create easy win scenario. I may be wrong since Im new to this site but is there any way to fight this ?
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 11:11:47 AM
At 7/20/2015 11:02:27 AM, hldemi wrote:
There are so many debates done by some debaters with high win percentage and many of their debates were won by opponent forfeiting all the rounds except first. This smells to me as the abuse of second profiles to create easy win scenario. I may be wrong since Im new to this site but is there any way to fight this ?

Its called noob sniping. A majority of users make a profile and never come back to the site. If someone had two profiles the site moderator would catch it on the routine ip checks.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 11:29:05 AM
Naw, it's simply called 'exploiting the general noob populace'--at least according to me.

And WE have every right to do it. To make a second profile you require another email account, which is far too much effort and not good if you suffer from memory loss.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
hldemi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 11:58:10 AM
You made a sport out of this.... But I guess thats what you get when you have leaderboards of any kind
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 11:59:12 AM
At 7/20/2015 11:58:10 AM, hldemi wrote:
You made a sport out of this.... But I guess thats what you get when you have leaderboards of any kind

Who made a sport?
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

hldemi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 12:00:53 PM
Anyone doing noob sniping.. Why else would someone be interested in debating people way under their league.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 12:09:17 PM
At 7/20/2015 12:00:53 PM, hldemi wrote:
Anyone doing noob sniping.. Why else would someone be interested in debating people way under their league.

It's literally just to get easy wins.

*Some* of the responsibility actually does lie with the 'noobs' themselves--if they're not serious, they shouldn't forfeit. And if they do attempt to argue, they should at least make it reasonably good.

SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 2:01:32 PM
At 7/20/2015 1:46:49 PM, fazz wrote:
Be careful, this guy looks like a soviet double-agent..

What does a soviet double-agent look like?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 2:02:48 PM

It isn't the case of people creating fake profiles to make easy wins for themselves. It's more that new members join, start a debate, and then never log back on to finish the debate. Targeting noobs in excess is disreputable, but it's whatever...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
fazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 2:08:02 PM
At 7/20/2015 2:01:32 PM, SamStevens wrote:

What does a soviet double-agent look like?

like snowden..
fazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 2:08:34 PM
At 7/20/2015 2:02:48 PM, bsh1 wrote:

It isn't the case of people creating fake profiles to make easy wins for themselves. It's more that new members join, start a debate, and then never log back on to finish the debate. Targeting noobs in excess is disreputable, but it's whatever...

Do people do this for mafia?
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 2:09:21 PM
At 7/20/2015 2:08:34 PM, fazz wrote:
At 7/20/2015 2:02:48 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Do people do this for mafia?

I can only think of 1 user who did. And, 1 out of dozens is not really an issue.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 4:26:03 PM
It's just people deluding themselves
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 6:07:48 PM

Ohhh, no I can always tell a soviet double-agent ;)

fazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 10:30:06 PM
At 7/20/2015 5:07:21 PM, hldemi wrote:
Haha you are not the first to tell me I look like Snowden :D

I knew it..
fazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 10:36:25 PM
At 7/20/2015 6:07:48 PM, Emilrose wrote:

Ohhh, no I can always tell a soviet double-agent ;)

If looks could kill...
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 10:43:14 PM

I've been here for almost 3 years and I can confirm that this statement hit the nail on the head.
Nolite Timere
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 1:17:30 PM
At 7/20/2015 10:43:14 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

I've been here for almost 3 years and I can confirm that this statement hit the nail on the head.

You have been here over three years
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 1:22:36 PM
The notable thing about noob-sniping is that people do it because they want to climb the leaderboard. But why climb the leaderboard? A sense of accomplishment? Respect from the other members of DDO? A feeling of success?

Interestingly none of these occur when a member noob-snipes to climb the leaderboard as no one really acknowledges them as a good debater. So, if it is recognition they want, they should just learn to debate better and do well in debates. When people read their debates, those people will be impressed. Same with accomplishment and success - the goal should be to be a better debater, not to create the illusion of being a better debater. Because the whole site sees right through the illusion and knows that a high place on the leaderboard means very little.
Gmork
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 1:34:54 PM
At 7/21/2015 1:22:36 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
The notable thing about noob-sniping is that people do it because they want to climb the leaderboard. But why climb the leaderboard? A sense of accomplishment? Respect from the other members of DDO? A feeling of success?

Interestingly none of these occur when a member noob-snipes to climb the leaderboard as no one really acknowledges them as a good debater. So, if it is recognition they want, they should just learn to debate better and do well in debates. When people read their debates, those people will be impressed. Same with accomplishment and success - the goal should be to be a better debater, not to create the illusion of being a better debater. Because the whole site sees right through the illusion and knows that a high place on the leaderboard means very little.

Because Americans aren't that deep, and possibly most of the world, especially, it seems, the younger crowds. They want attention and feelings attached to status, for example placing on the leaderboard, and often don't care about whether they earned it or the cost. Why do you think trolling is so prevalent? People want attention at any cost. They want amusement at any cost.

Who has time for ethical ramifications of actions? They got their instant gratification and have moved on.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 6:17:23 PM
At 7/21/2015 1:17:30 PM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/20/2015 10:43:14 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

You have been here over three years

I've been here about 2 and a half years.
Nolite Timere
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 6:42:12 PM

It's a good learning experience for the noob. Also, everyone was a noob at one point.
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
hldemi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 7:00:49 PM
At 7/21/2015 1:22:36 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Thats exactly my thoughts... Ranking should never be a goal but a side effect of your skill as debater.
fazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 10:13:48 PM
At 7/20/2015 11:04:23 PM, fazz wrote:
At 7/20/2015 11:58:10 AM, hldemi wrote:
You made a sport out of this....

Sports: https://video-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.com...

One more time .. sports! https://www.youtube.com...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2015 10:54:27 AM

Wait, you didn't have Snowden as your profile pic? It's actually you in the picture?
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
hldemi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2015 10:56:08 AM
At 7/22/2015 10:54:27 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

Wait, you didn't have Snowden as your profile pic? It's actually you in the picture?

Hahahah... You are teasing me, you bastard.. I dont even look that much like Snowden.