Jump to topic:

Should Forfeit Be an Automatic Lose in Voting

Berend
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 4:06:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I ask this question because I see this a lot. I would like to first give my view on this. My point in regards to this question is a no. Unless the debate maker/creator says otherwise as a rule, I think if person X forfeits one round, you should take in all that is said and not vote against on the basis of a forfeit. The reason being is the person forfeiting can be seen as skipping the round like it is not needed. While that is not obviously the case, the fact that you do not need all rounds to see who was the better debater makes more sense to me. If they both argued well one X forfeited once, I do not think, unless needed, voting against X due to it is warranted completely.

I would like to hear everyone's point of views on this.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 4:24:51 PM
At 7/20/2015 4:06:31 PM, Berend wrote:

I think that debaters should have the option of setting their debates such that multiple forfeits by 1 person results in the forfeiter losing. If both sides have a forfeit, this rule would be void. I also think that if both sides forfeit the majority of rounds, the debate should be cancelled. However, I don't think 1 forfeit should result in the loss, as most people will forfeit once or twice in their time on DDO, and it would be unfair to penalize them for that.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 4:24:55 PM
At 7/20/2015 4:06:31 PM, Berend wrote:
I ask this question because I see this a lot. I would like to first give my view on this. My point in regards to this question is a no. Unless the debate maker/creator says otherwise as a rule, I think if person X forfeits one round, you should take in all that is said and not vote against on the basis of a forfeit. The reason being is the person forfeiting can be seen as skipping the round like it is not needed. While that is not obviously the case, the fact that you do not need all rounds to see who was the better debater makes more sense to me. If they both argued well one X forfeited once, I do not think, unless needed, voting against X due to it is warranted completely.

I would like to hear everyone's point of views on this.

I say yes with one exception, If the opponent excuses it and gives a good reason why in the next round
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 2:07:46 AM
A forfeit should never be an automatic loss. It's already a disadvantage, it doesn't need to be punished further.