Jump to topic:

The Best Debaters

Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2010 10:35:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Friends, it is time that Grape's winning streak has come to an end. Too long has he debated mainly against unskilled opponent's and let his own skills slip through laziness. Hence, I resolve to debate only against the best debaters on this site until, while debating at the best of my ability, I have accumulated three (3) solid losses. Since the leader board ranks only by number of wins and win percentage does not take into consideration the quality of one's opponent's, I prefer a more subjective means of selecting opponents.

Forumites, who do you think are the best debaters currently active on this site? Let me know so I may seek them out with an appropriate challenge. TheLwerd, RoyLatham, and Freeman are currently at the top of my list. However, I have not thought of good topics for challenges yet.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2010 10:47:02 PM
At 8/21/2010 10:43:41 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Puck, TheSkeptic, popculturepooka, InquireTruth, Vi_Veri, wjmelements, and Cody_Franklin spring to mind.

Ragnar,_Rahl, burningpuppies101, MTGandP, and the mong brothers are worthy opponents as well.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2010 10:53:23 PM
I would add Reasoning, except he's never actually debated, and Nags apparently doesn't debate any more -__-

My record isn't nearly as impressive as yours, but I'm trying to do the same thing right now, no more crap debates, picking out opponents that I know could potentially beat me.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2010 10:58:00 PM
At 8/21/2010 10:53:23 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Nags apparently doesn't debate any more -__-

Yeah, I dunno why. The vote-bombing kinda annoyed me, I should only have three losses (the debates to Brock_Meyer, one of my debates against MTGandP, and one of my debates against Mongeese.) I think my last legitimately challenging debate was against Freeman, whom I beat 38-6. =)

Grape, if you think of something, I'll debate you. I haven't debated in a while so I suppose I could give you a challenge.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 12:15:09 PM
At 8/22/2010 4:33:40 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
pffft *snigger* Insertnamehere and Lovelife

I can debate, somewhat. Only on very limited topics though.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 2:30:55 PM
At 8/22/2010 12:15:09 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Battle of the vajayjays.

You pick the topic and I'm down! :) :)

(Nothing too one-sided if you please)
President of DDO
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 2:34:34 PM
At 8/22/2010 2:30:55 PM, theLwerd wrote:

Battle of the vajayjays.

Hmm... I just need to think of a topic I want to debate.
burningpuppies101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 2:37:18 PM
At 8/22/2010 2:30:55 PM, theLwerd wrote:

Battle of the vajayjays.

lol who would want to debate a one-sided debate...
Omnes te moriturum amant 

http://www.debate.org...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 2:38:46 PM
At 8/22/2010 2:34:34 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Okay :) You said the topics are limited so it shouldn't be too hard to pick one. Any ideas or preferences?
President of DDO
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 2:40:12 PM
At 8/22/2010 2:38:46 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 8/22/2010 2:34:34 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Okay :) You said the topics are limited so it shouldn't be too hard to pick one. Any ideas or preferences?

Well there's abortion and death penalty. I don't think I have really debated either of those yet.
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 10:39:41 PM
At 8/21/2010 10:35:54 PM, Grape wrote:
Friends, it is time that Grape's winning streak has come to an end. Too long has he debated mainly against unskilled opponent's and let his own skills slip through laziness. Hence, I resolve to debate only against the best debaters on this site until, while debating at the best of my ability, I have accumulated three (3) solid losses. Since the leader board ranks only by number of wins and win percentage does not take into consideration the quality of one's opponent's, I prefer a more subjective means of selecting opponents.

Forumites, who do you think are the best debaters currently active on this site? Let me know so I may seek them out with an appropriate challenge. TheLwerd, RoyLatham, and Freeman are currently at the top of my list. However, I have not thought of good topics for challenges yet.

I might do one on late term abortion... There are a variety of positions you and I disagree on, so if you want to work something up... If you like, we can hash out some specifics over PM so there's not an annoying first round of definitions, etc...

I'm pretty busy with the first week of law school, so I'd definitely ask for the full 72 hour period tho =)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 9:34:39 AM
At 8/22/2010 2:40:12 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Well there's abortion and death penalty. I don't think I have really debated either of those yet.

Mmkay - I've done a few DP debates recently, so I'd prefer to debate abortion... especially since we're on opposite sides of the spectrum. I'm Pro Choice, so would you be okay with a debate titled "Pro Choice" and I'm Pro, you're Con? If so, I'll send you the debate challenge soon...
President of DDO
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 11:29:19 AM
At 8/23/2010 9:34:39 AM, theLwerd wrote:

Mmkay - I've done a few DP debates recently, so I'd prefer to debate abortion... especially since we're on opposite sides of the spectrum. I'm Pro Choice, so would you be okay with a debate titled "Pro Choice" and I'm Pro, you're Con? If so, I'll send you the debate challenge soon...

Well I'm currently in a debate now so would you mind waiting until I'm finished my current one?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2010 10:29:10 AM
At 8/23/2010 11:29:19 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Well I'm currently in a debate now so would you mind waiting until I'm finished my current one?

No not at all :)
President of DDO
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2010 2:17:06 PM
I looked at your past debates and they tend to be on insubstantial topics with lots of semantic arguments. I think you should step up to more important issues and debate more substance.

I haven't done a missile defense debate that I can recall, so perhaps that would be a good one. I am Pro missile defense, your profile indicates you are Con.

Also, I'm looking for a death penalty debate. Your profile indicates no position. I am Pro.

You can check my profile for other topics.
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2010 6:31:56 PM
At 8/21/2010 10:35:54 PM, Grape wrote:

Do you eat meat?
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2010 9:28:40 PM
At 8/24/2010 2:17:06 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I looked at your past debates and they tend to be on insubstantial topics with lots of semantic arguments. I think you should step up to more important issues and debate more substance.

Agreed.

I haven't done a missile defense debate that I can recall, so perhaps that would be a good one. I am Pro missile defense, your profile indicates you are Con.

Also, I'm looking for a death penalty debate. Your profile indicates no position. I am Pro.

I am not sure of my position on missile defense; I used it as a means to convey non-militarism in general. Practically speaking the increased security might justify the costs for a missile defense system specifically. I am not opposed to the death penalty on philosophical grounds but I would consider an argument that under the current American legal system it is impractical.

You can check my profile for other topics.

I would be interested in a debate on the cause of global warming. My position is that global warming exists as a phenomenon and is caused primarily (though not entirely) by human activity. I think that we agree that global warming exists but not that it is caused by humans.
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2010 9:49:03 PM
At 8/24/2010 6:31:56 PM, Freeman wrote:
Do you eat meat?

Yes. Though that's not a bad topic, if you are interested in ethics in general there is a resolution I have wanted to debate for a while:

"Even we knew objective moral values, there would be no obligation to act morally."

I would be Pro. Basically, I would be advocating for a form of moral skepticism which disregards the actual truth of moral statements in favor of the belief that we have no reason or obligation to act according to them regardless of their validity. You would not actually have to be arguing for objective moral values and I could take that part out if you prefer. It exists only the establish the premise that moral statements can be true at all, thus removing other most forms of moral skepticism from the debate. There are many other ways it could be worded that would work equally well.

This is obviously more theory oriented than a debate on eating meat, but I doubt my argument in favor of eating meat would be very interesting or original.
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2010 9:55:51 PM
At 8/21/2010 10:58:00 PM, Nags wrote:
Yeah, I dunno why. The vote-bombing kinda annoyed me, I should only have three losses (the debates to Brock_Meyer, one of my debates against MTGandP, and one of my debates against Mongeese.) I think my last legitimately challenging debate was against Freeman, whom I beat 38-6. =)

Grape, if you think of something, I'll debate you. I haven't debated in a while so I suppose I could give you a challenge.

I see you are against taxes. Do you define taxes as involuntary by definition? I would be willing to argue that if a voluntary tax system were employed, it should be progressive rather than flat. I think we are both against taxes that are involuntary.
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2010 10:00:02 PM

I am in favor of abortion. I have done that debate a million times, but mostly poorly. I would be interested in doing a final debate on the topic but then I am definitely done with the topic for a while.

Sorry for quadruple-posting, but I don't know how to quote more than one person in the same post.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2010 10:04:15 PM
At 8/24/2010 10:00:02 PM, Grape wrote:

I am in favor of abortion. I have done that debate a million times, but mostly poorly. I would be interested in doing a final debate on the topic but then I am definitely done with the topic for a while.

Well I'm con on abortion although I may be debating that topic with theLwerd. I'm not really sure yet. I have done one debate on it before taking on a Devil's Advocate position, but my opponent forfeited every round. I am also currently working on a debate about the death penalty.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2010 11:07:57 PM

Abortion you'll want to do with InquireTruth, popculturepooka, or me.

Sorry for quadruple-posting, but I don't know how to quote more than one person in the same post.

Hit "reply and quote." Copy and paste from the reply box. Then press back. Click "reply and quote" for the second person you want to quote. Then paste the text you copied earlier to combine them. It's ugly, but there's no other way to do it.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 12:23:52 AM
Yes. Though that's not a bad topic, if you are interested in ethics in general there is a resolution I have wanted to debate for a while:

"Even we knew objective moral values, there would be no obligation to act morally."

I would be Pro. Basically, I would be advocating for a form of moral skepticism which disregards the actual truth of moral statements in favor of the belief that we have no reason or obligation to act according to them regardless of their validity. You would not actually have to be arguing for objective moral values and I could take that part out if you prefer. It exists only the establish the premise that moral statements can be true at all, thus removing other most forms of moral skepticism from the debate. There are many other ways it could be worded that would work equally well.

This is obviously more theory oriented than a debate on eating meat, but I doubt my argument in favor of eating meat would be very interesting or original.

Practical moral skepticism seems to be what you're getting at. Funny, because that's exactly the position I endorse.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 6:00:33 AM
At 8/24/2010 11:07:57 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

Abortion you'll want to do with InquireTruth, popculturepooka, or me.

QFT.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 2:26:45 PM
I would do one on metaethics too I think.... I am particularly fond of a position I call "Rights-Based Utilitarianism."

In general, I tend to defend non-cognitivism, but if you want a cognitive type of morality to debate, I would defend a strict form of constructive utilitarianism...