Jump to topic:

God exists/doesn't debate

Thorae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 1:12:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Why do people arguing against his existence try to disprove the Judeo-Christian God rather than all Gods? Even if you do disprove Yahweh, you haven't proved or disproved God.

I'd be happy to argue with anyone about just about anything philosophical BTW.
"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind."
-Albert Einstein
burningpuppies101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 1:16:09 PM
We stick with the Judeo-Christian god since a majority of people worship that one, and sure, you could go around talking about each individual god, but most arguments against the Judeo-Christian god apply to most other gods too.
Omnes te moriturum amant 

http://www.debate.org...
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 1:16:40 PM
Because most of us live in a western culture and people tend to argue against/for the most popular conception of God.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 1:19:44 PM
At 8/22/2010 1:16:09 PM, burningpuppies101 wrote:
We stick with the Judeo-Christian god since a majority of people worship that one, and sure, you could go around talking about each individual god, but most arguments against the Judeo-Christian god apply to most other gods too.

That's kind of a silly thing to say. It assumes that the nature of God remains the same regardless of any belief.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 1:20:02 PM
At 8/22/2010 1:16:40 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Because most of us live in a western culture and people tend to argue against/for the most popular conception of God.

This.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 1:20:41 PM
At 8/22/2010 1:19:44 PM, innomen wrote:
At 8/22/2010 1:16:09 PM, burningpuppies101 wrote:

That's kind of a silly thing to say. It assumes that the nature of God remains the same regardless of any belief.

Yeah, Yahwey got nothing on Zeus lightning bolt throwing skills.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Thorae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 1:22:01 PM
Just wondering, has anyone here heard of Deism?
-Albert Einstein
Thorae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 1:26:17 PM
My current theory is that many Christians/Muslims/etc. actually are Deists. A poll showed that 24.4% of Christians believe in a noninterventionist God which is a defining quality of Deism, and next to none of them knew what Deism was.
-Albert Einstein
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 1:43:58 PM
At 8/22/2010 1:22:01 PM, Thorae wrote:
Just wondering, has anyone here heard of Deism?

LOL
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 1:44:41 PM
First of all, there are many arguments put forth by Atheists that apply to God in general, and not just the Judeo-Christian God. We know that God is a first cause and God has the 4 omni's, and so many arguments can be formulated around these other than merely making arguments against Yahweh.

Also, Christianity, Islam, are the two largest religions in the world, Judaism is close, so the majority of God believers believe in the Judeo-Christian God and thus, it makes the effort more worth it if you refute the God that most people believe in.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 1:44:49 PM
At 8/22/2010 1:26:17 PM, Thorae wrote:
My current theory is that many Christians/Muslims/etc. actually are Deists. A poll showed that 24.4% of Christians believe in a noninterventionist God which is a defining quality of Deism, and next to none of them knew what Deism was.

You just contradicted yourself. 24.4% is not the majority.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 1:47:47 PM
@ Thorae

"Religion: Other." What religion do you adhere to?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Thorae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 1:48:16 PM
@Geo
No, the 4 omni's are not defining qualities.

@panda
I actually never claimed it was a majority. If I did, sorry, I didn't mean to.
-Albert Einstein
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 1:48:31 PM
At 8/22/2010 1:47:47 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
@ Thorae

"Religion: Other." What religion do you adhere to?

Lol. Geo always wants to know what religion someone is.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 1:50:00 PM
At 8/22/2010 1:12:44 PM, Thorae wrote:
Why do people arguing against his existence try to disprove the Judeo-Christian God rather than all Gods? Even if you do disprove Yahweh, you haven't proved or disproved God.

Universal arguments against all conceptions of God are ultimately logically flawed, specific Gods can be demonstrated to be false or at least unlikely.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Thorae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 1:50:34 PM
I'm not really sure what my religion is. The closest match would likely be Deism.
-Albert Einstein
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 1:51:16 PM
At 8/22/2010 1:26:17 PM, Thorae wrote:

Christianity, Islam and Judaism all posit an interventionist God.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Thorae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 1:54:37 PM

I'm aware of that, but people have their own beliefs.
-Albert Einstein
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 1:55:20 PM
At 8/22/2010 1:54:37 PM, Thorae wrote:

Yea, like I'm some kind of Deist or agnostic theist. My views are confusing.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 1:56:53 PM
At 8/22/2010 1:48:16 PM, Thorae wrote:
@Geo
No, the 4 omni's are not defining qualities.

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy: "Theists believe that reality's ultimate principle is God—an omnipotent, omniscient, goodness that is the creative ground of everything other than itself. Monotheism is the view that there is only one such God."

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy: "God is the greatest possible being; it is in the very nature of God that he essentially (and necessarily) possess all compossible perfections."
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Thorae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 2:01:24 PM
The definition is wrong, plain and simple. Deism contradicts it.
-Albert Einstein
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 2:03:11 PM
At 8/22/2010 1:12:44 PM, Thorae wrote:

Because we'd get laughed at?
Thorae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 2:05:33 PM
Might I suggest Atheists use scientific rather than philosophical arguments. The philosophical arguments are inherently flawed, while the scientific arguments are not. I disagree with the scientific arguments for atheism I´ve seen, but they are more credible.
-Albert Einstein
Thorae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 2:07:39 PM
Definitions have to universally define everything it covers over. That is not a unifying definition of a God.
-Albert Einstein
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 2:08:41 PM
At 8/22/2010 2:01:24 PM, Thorae wrote:
The definition is wrong, plain and simple.

When it comes to definition of philosophical terms, Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy is an authoritative source. Your definition can't override.

Actually, you haven't even provided a definition, so if you're going to reject one, present your alternative.

Deism contradicts it.

No it doesn't Deism usually refers to a non-intervening God or also refers to the mere belief in God with no religious adherence. None of this contradicts the above definition.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 2:08:45 PM
At 8/22/2010 1:55:20 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/22/2010 1:54:37 PM, Thorae wrote:

Yea, like I'm some kind of Deist or agnostic theist. My views are confusing.

Yea I can see the appeal of it.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2010 2:08:52 PM
At 8/22/2010 2:05:33 PM, Thorae wrote:
Might I suggest Atheists use scientific rather than philosophical arguments. The philosophical arguments are inherently flawed, while the scientific arguments are not. I disagree with the scientific arguments for atheism I've seen, but they are more credible.

Philosophical arguments aren't inherently flawed. I'm pretty sure that you can't argue for or against God's existence without looking to metaphysics - a branch of philosophy in which the physical sciences play a large role.