Jump to topic:

Intersite "post-mortem"

Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 2:35:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Let me know If I'm definitely a judge and I'll get to it as soon as I can. If I am, may as well tell them I'll just use the voting structure here as a basis.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 2:41:43 PM
At 8/23/2010 2:35:46 PM, Puck wrote:
Let me know If I'm definitely a judge and I'll get to it as soon as I can. If I am, may as well tell them I'll just use the voting structure here as a basis.

It's over and we lost.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 2:48:39 PM
At 8/23/2010 2:41:43 PM, innomen wrote:

It's over and we lost.

did we lose lose

or was it bad judging?

what was it the religion is good for you debate?
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 2:51:42 PM
At 8/23/2010 2:48:39 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

It's over and we lost.

did we lose lose

or was it bad judging?

Sort of i guess, but our guys worked their butts off. We lost because of the format really. they're gloating a lot too. However they would like to have more. Ozzie would like to have a comedy debate at some point, i figure Brian would be good for that.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 2:55:01 PM
We need to pit Puck up against Ozzie on some philosophical or political issue.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 2:58:11 PM
At 8/23/2010 2:55:01 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

The problem is they probably agree in most things. Is Puck flexible?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 3:01:09 PM
At 8/23/2010 2:51:42 PM, innomen wrote:
At 8/23/2010 2:48:39 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

It's over and we lost.

did we lose lose

or was it bad judging?

Sort of i guess, but our guys worked their butts off. We lost because of the format really. they're gloating a lot too. However they would like to have more. Ozzie would like to have a comedy debate at some point, i figure Brian would be good for that.

Maybe it should have been organised before it started and maybe we shouldn't have gloated about how superior we were beforehand? The former could have increased our chance of victory, the latter made defeat easier to bear. Not that I embarrased because I'm an individual so it's not my loss.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 3:03:35 PM
At 8/23/2010 2:58:11 PM, innomen wrote:

Well, Atheists have many disagreements when it comes to philosophical issues and I doubt they have tv same political positions.

What is Ozzies political stance?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 3:06:43 PM
At 8/23/2010 3:01:09 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Maybe it should have been organised before it started and maybe we shouldn't have gloated about how superior we were beforehand? The former could have increased our chance of victory, the latter made defeat easier to bear. Not that I embarrased because I'm an individual so it's not my loss.

Well, you're a fairly well established member of DDO so whether or not you share the loss, is still i guess a personal thing.

I wanted a sort of scrimmage and i couldn't get it off the ground, but that would have helped knowing the lay of the land better. I also forgot the format, it's been a long time since i debated over there.

I do agree with the gloating, and it was sort of put in our face.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 3:07:57 PM
At 8/23/2010 3:03:35 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Well, Atheists have many disagreements when it comes to philosophical issues and I doubt they have tv same political positions.

Liberal, California type. He does question global warming, but really he is like about a hundred people here.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 3:08:04 PM
I'm a tad bit concerned that the voting ended the morning after the debate was finished. What the heck? No DDO judges even got to vote.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 3:10:05 PM
At 8/23/2010 3:06:43 PM, innomen wrote:

Well, you're a fairly well established member of DDO so whether or not you share the loss, is still i guess a personal thing.

I wanted a sort of scrimmage and i couldn't get it off the ground, but that would have helped knowing the lay of the land better. I also forgot the format, it's been a long time since i debated over there.

My original comment was a little too arsey, I think over win or lose its a good thing... we may get some new good members, or interesting trolls anyway.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 3:11:45 PM
At 8/23/2010 3:10:05 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/23/2010 3:06:43 PM, innomen wrote:

My original comment was a little too arsey, I think over win or lose its a good thing... we may get some new good members, or interesting trolls anyway.

If he comes here, well...time to start searching for another.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 3:11:48 PM
At 8/23/2010 3:08:57 PM, innomen wrote:
At 8/23/2010 2:59:59 PM, Volkov wrote:
Can I join in somehow?

I suggested you on international issues. Still up for it?

Sure, more than glad to.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 3:13:38 PM
We backed out twice on a debate on affirmative action with Junior. Cody, and PoeJoe didn't follow up, that wasn't great form either.

Volkov, how are you with that issue?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 3:14:55 PM
At 8/23/2010 3:13:38 PM, innomen wrote:
We backed out twice on a debate on affirmative action with Junior. Cody, and PoeJoe didn't follow up, that wasn't great form either.

I'm against affirmative action.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 3:15:53 PM
At 8/23/2010 3:07:57 PM, innomen wrote:

Liberal, California type. He does question global warming, but really he is like about a hundred people here.

Puck is Libertarian, which is almost opposite of Liberal. Just look at Ron Paul constantly ripping the Liberals.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 3:16:16 PM
At 8/23/2010 3:14:55 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 8/23/2010 3:13:38 PM, innomen wrote:

I'm against affirmative action.

Can you debate it on their site, and their crappy format? They have this rapid fire way of doing it. Junior is easier to beat.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 3:17:42 PM
At 8/23/2010 3:15:53 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Puck is Libertarian, which is almost opposite of Liberal. Just look at Ron Paul constantly ripping the Liberals.

To note, libertarianism came out of liberalism. Liberalism itself is a focus on the individual - libertarians just take it to the extreme against the state, while modern liberals believe the state can be used to further individual rights and freedoms. It's generally fighting on the same spectrum of "individualism vs. collectivism," though.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 3:17:51 PM
Cerebral, you think we lost the debate? You should read my comment on the debate in the voting/comment section.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 3:18:31 PM
At 8/23/2010 3:16:16 PM, innomen wrote:
Can you debate it on their site, and their crappy format? They have this rapid fire way of doing it. Junior is easier to beat.

If its for tonight, then yes. Next three days after today, though, I most likely won't be available.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 3:19:48 PM
We have an opportunity if we are up for it to redeem ourselves. There were supposed to be two more debates over there, then they come here. If we can beat them or even up the score a little bit it will be less irritating. We now are more aware of their format and style. The two debates are AA and Intelligent design.

AA- Junior would prefer to be con
ID- Bigmat will be con.

C_N, i sent you a message on ID, would you be up for it?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 3:20:52 PM
At 8/23/2010 3:17:51 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Cerebral, you think we lost the debate? You should read my comment on the debate in the voting/comment section.

Thats what I was told.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 3:21:20 PM
At 8/23/2010 3:18:31 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 8/23/2010 3:16:16 PM, innomen wrote:

If its for tonight, then yes. Next three days after today, though, I most likely won't be available.

When you are available, but it would be helpful for you to go over and pick up where the other two dropped off. Their debates go for typically 3 days.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 3:22:58 PM
At 8/23/2010 3:21:20 PM, innomen wrote:
When you are available, but it would be helpful for you to go over and pick up where the other two dropped off. Their debates go for typically 3 days.

Weird. Where did the last guys stop?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 3:23:36 PM
At 8/23/2010 3:15:53 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/23/2010 3:07:57 PM, innomen wrote:

I didn't realize that Puck was a libertarian.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 3:24:18 PM
At 8/23/2010 3:19:48 PM, innomen wrote:

C_N, i sent you a message on ID, would you be up for it?

Naah, I'll debut it here first. Sorry.