Jump to topic:

Culling the Nerd - A G+ Hangout Trivia Game

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 9:58:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have thought of a G+ game that more than a few players can play at a time - it is called Culling the Nerd. It is a trivia game that can have up to nine players at game start.

The game's host would have 4 categories, and 13 questions within each category, and at game start all categories are announced. This is similar to bar trivia.

However, before the trivia begins, the game begins, and players will have five minutes to discuss the categories amongst themselves, and strategy must be employed, for, each round, the players with the worst performance of that round, will be eliminated. So, if you are not good at a category, do you want it first with the most players where you just need to edge a few out, or save it until the final round, where the winner is decided? Your performance from previous round is not a factor in the current round. So, the winner could have gotten less right answers overall than the other final round player.

The category is decided by popular vote. The host will say "everyone type your vote into the comments and submit at 3, 2, 1, now", and all players will submit at the same time. No vote or answer will be given by microphone in this game. If there is a tie, another popular vote will be cast with just the remaining choices. In the event of tie that is unlikely to be broken with another vote (say a 4:4 split with eight players), the decision will be made by coin flip.

The rounds are simple. The host reads a question and players have 15 seconds or so to respond. Answers are typed in and submitted at the same time, just as votes are cast. There is no buzzing, no verbal answers, and talking is allowed as long as it is not distracting and overlaps the host's voice (when he needs to say the countdown). Anyone who gets the question right gets a point, anyone who gets it wrong does not. At the end of the round, the players with the highest round score move on and the (generally two) players with the worst score that round are eliminated.

Voting is then cast for the next round, and play is repeats in the same manner.
In the event of a tie that needs to be broken at rounds end, an additional question is asked. This question should be difficult and have a way for a tie to be decided by someone "being closest" (for example, how many bones are in the body). Answers to this question are not count down, because in the event both players knows the correct answer, the player who answered first is the winner. This is the only time speed matters in this game.

The amount of players at each round's start depends on the amount of players and categories in the following manner:
9 players - 9:7:4:2
8 players - 8:6:4:2
7 players - 7:5*:3:(2)
6 players - 6:4:2
5 players - 5:4:2
4 or less players, whatever would seem the most fun.
A note about seven players, at the second round voting, it should also be voted whether the game is going to be three rounds, with a 3-player final round, or if it will be four rounds with one player eliminated from the third round.

What are your thoughts?
The game should be easier to set up, and quicker to play than Jeopardy, and with more people able to play, it should be more fun. Plus, there can be talking, since there is time during the questions where players are typing.
My work here is, finally, done.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 6:55:58 PM
At 7/26/2015 9:58:13 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I have thought of a G+ game that more than a few players can play at a time - it is called Culling the Nerd. It is a trivia game that can have up to nine players at game start.

The game's host would have 4 categories, and 13 questions within each category, and at game start all categories are announced. This is similar to bar trivia.

However, before the trivia begins, the game begins, and players will have five minutes to discuss the categories amongst themselves, and strategy must be employed, for, each round, the players with the worst performance of that round, will be eliminated. So, if you are not good at a category, do you want it first with the most players where you just need to edge a few out, or save it until the final round, where the winner is decided? Your performance from previous round is not a factor in the current round. So, the winner could have gotten less right answers overall than the other final round player.

The category is decided by popular vote. The host will say "everyone type your vote into the comments and submit at 3, 2, 1, now", and all players will submit at the same time. No vote or answer will be given by microphone in this game. If there is a tie, another popular vote will be cast with just the remaining choices. In the event of tie that is unlikely to be broken with another vote (say a 4:4 split with eight players), the decision will be made by coin flip.

The rounds are simple. The host reads a question and players have 15 seconds or so to respond. Answers are typed in and submitted at the same time, just as votes are cast. There is no buzzing, no verbal answers, and talking is allowed as long as it is not distracting and overlaps the host's voice (when he needs to say the countdown). Anyone who gets the question right gets a point, anyone who gets it wrong does not. At the end of the round, the players with the highest round score move on and the (generally two) players with the worst score that round are eliminated.

Voting is then cast for the next round, and play is repeats in the same manner.
In the event of a tie that needs to be broken at rounds end, an additional question is asked. This question should be difficult and have a way for a tie to be decided by someone "being closest" (for example, how many bones are in the body). Answers to this question are not count down, because in the event both players knows the correct answer, the player who answered first is the winner. This is the only time speed matters in this game.

The amount of players at each round's start depends on the amount of players and categories in the following manner:
9 players - 9:7:4:2
8 players - 8:6:4:2
7 players - 7:5*:3:(2)
6 players - 6:4:2
5 players - 5:4:2
4 or less players, whatever would seem the most fun.
A note about seven players, at the second round voting, it should also be voted whether the game is going to be three rounds, with a 3-player final round, or if it will be four rounds with one player eliminated from the third round.

What are your thoughts?
The game should be easier to set up, and quicker to play than Jeopardy, and with more people able to play, it should be more fun. Plus, there can be talking, since there is time during the questions where players are typing.

I'm assuming you have questions all set up?
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 9:31:35 PM
What if a player waits for other players to type the answer, and then copies it?

What does the #:#:#:# format mean?

How will the questions be set up? Do you have them on hand or are we writing the questions?
0x5f3759df
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 11:01:44 PM
At 7/26/2015 9:31:35 PM, Bullish wrote:
What if a player waits for other players to type the answer, and then copies it?
The idea is that everyone types it in and then hits enter, in the same manner of the mass claim that you and I opposed in live mafia.
If there is a noticeable lag in someone's answer, it should not count.

What does the #:#:#:# format mean?
The number of players at each round's beginning. So, generally, two players are eliminated each round.

How will the questions be set up? Do you have them on hand or are we writing the questions?
They will just be a series of questions, one at a time, until the category is complete (13 questions).
Whoever is hosting would have the questions written out, but they don't need to be in a powerpoint or anything. I haven't written them out, but I seem to only be online so late, I thought people may be interested in a game of trivia that allowed for more players than Jeopardy.

I would be willing to host the first game, if people wanted, when I have time.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 11:03:54 PM
At 7/26/2015 6:55:58 PM, Raisor wrote:

I'm assuming you have questions all set up?

I could. I've been bouncing ideas for a Jeopardy for a while, but haven't committed to writing anything out yet. I don't have a whole lot of time to play a game in this manner, but I thought people might enjoy it, so I explained it.

I would have no problem being the host for the first game, but it wouldn't be until the weekend most likely.
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 4:47:40 PM
At 7/26/2015 11:01:44 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

If you're writing the questions make sure they can't be googled.
0x5f3759df
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 5:23:28 PM
At 7/26/2015 11:01:44 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 7/26/2015 9:31:35 PM, Bullish wrote:
The idea is that everyone types it in and then hits enter, in the same manner of the mass claim that you and I opposed in live mafia.
If there is a noticeable lag in someone's answer, it should not count.

To fix the problem, you could make it so everyone sends it as a private message. So, instead of typing out "1776" beforehand, everyone would type out "/to khaos 1776"
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...