Now that Vi_spex is gone...

SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 11:39:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 11:07:15 PM, Commondebator wrote:
Vi_spex has now left. This DDO elite/legend will surely be missed. DDO will be very different from now on

I believe vi was banned, but thanks to the private and subversive nature of the banning process (which is inherently unfair to the user), there's no way to know for sure.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
Commondebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 12:18:50 AM
At 7/26/2015 11:39:07 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
Vi_spex has now left. This DDO elite/legend will surely be missed. DDO will be very different from now on

I believe vi was banned, but thanks to the private and subversive nature of the banning process (which is inherently unfair to the user), there's no way to know for sure.

thats the joke, he was banned because of a homophobic slur
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 12:21:47 AM
At 7/27/2015 12:18:50 AM, Commondebator wrote:

I'm aware, but the cowards in the modding position deleted all the relevant posts AND prevented vi from informing anyone of the situation before the banning. Our banning system as it stands can never operate in favor of the bannee unless they have the option of doing it in a public forum, which the moderators strictly forbid.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 12:37:47 AM
At best, he's the BoG of debates. Hardly a legend.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TinyBudha
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 10:10:06 AM

I bet he wouldn't have been banned for a heterophobic slur. Is this because the president is gay?
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 10:51:14 AM
I'm actually saddened by this.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
Kozu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 11:11:56 AM
At 7/27/2015 10:51:14 AM, n7 wrote:

I too am very saddened by this. I don't think I have ever seen him make an ad-hominem or any kind of slur towards anybody ever. I'd really like to have seen the comments behind this banning. If it just was a homophobic slur then the ban is hardly warranted. I bet this was one mod who just jumped at the opportunity to ban someone,

Will I get banned for making a gay joke?
If Mirza can make threads attacking Americans on a daily, why cant vi_spex get away with a slur?

I'm actually more mad than sad.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 11:52:07 AM
At 7/27/2015 11:11:56 AM, Kozu wrote:

I too am very saddened by this. I don't think I have ever seen him make an ad-hominem or any kind of slur towards anybody ever. I'd really like to have seen the comments behind this banning. If it just was a homophobic slur then the ban is hardly warranted. I bet this was one mod who just jumped at the opportunity to ban someone,

If Mirza can make threads attacking Americans on a daily, why cant vi_spex get away with a slur?

This is very odd. I was saying in another thread regarding him that he never lashes out, or makes ad hominem attacks. Anyone have a link to this?
Kozu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 12:53:41 PM
At 7/27/2015 11:52:41 AM, TBR wrote:
Regardless, if one attack is grounds for banning, there should be a lot more bans.

I agree. This was awfully selective.
Commondebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 5:14:34 PM

This is what Airmax the mighty god and dictator said,

"called a member a homophobic slur... when I was in the process of warning him about it (it probably would have just ended in a warning) and explaining the site conduct rules about it he insulted me and called me names... not that I take that personally or care about member insulting me, but it reflects a problem when I'm warning someone about a serious site infraction and they just continue with similar behavior

the person he called a homophobic slur also happens to be a site mod (whiteflame) so there were enough strikes in the one incident to justify a temporary ban"

To be honest, a temp ban sounds reasonable
Commondebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 5:15:37 PM
Regardless, if one attack is grounds for banning, there should be a lot more bans.

he had a lot more attacks, according to airmax
Commondebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 5:15:37 PM

he had a lot more attacks, according to airmax
Commondebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 5:18:45 PM
At 7/27/2015 5:16:26 PM, TBR wrote:
Sounds reasonable. I have to say it makes me reevaluate his character.

It honestly does. Now people assume that behind his stupid/trolling arguments is actually a very smart person. They are wrong

Anyway, I have a strong feeling Spex did this on purpose...Maybe his one of the already well known members on DDO?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 5:18:57 PM
Now that Vi_spex is gone... Nothing has changed
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Commondebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 5:21:39 PM
At 7/27/2015 5:18:57 PM, sadolite wrote:
Now that Vi_spex is gone... Nothing has changed

Nah the debate section is a little better

Honestly though, Im almost certain Spex is just another account of a well known person on DDO. I wonder who it is....
Kozu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 5:44:03 PM
At 7/27/2015 5:14:34 PM, Commondebator wrote:

This is what Airmax the mighty god and dictator said,

"called a member a homophobic slur... when I was in the process of warning him about it (it probably would have just ended in a warning) and explaining the site conduct rules about it he insulted me and called me names... not that I take that personally or care about member insulting me, but it reflects a problem when I'm warning someone about a serious site infraction and they just continue with similar behavior

the person he called a homophobic slur also happens to be a site mod (whiteflame) so there were enough strikes in the one incident to justify a temporary ban"

To be honest, a temp ban sounds reasonable

That is understandable. I do think it should have only been a temp ban though. That behavior sounds like vi_spex was acting childish and just wanted to push airmax's buttons, that doesn't seem like a reason to perma ban though. I'd sooner send a child to the stair steps than outside the house.

In any case, I'll miss his unique stupidity...
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 7:34:08 PM

What the heck? I've seen plenty of insane far-right wing religious zealots on here that always go against homosexuals.
Commondebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 7:34:57 PM
At 7/27/2015 7:34:08 PM, triangle.128k wrote:

What the heck? I've seen plenty of insane far-right wing religious zealots on here that always go against homosexuals.

was he really that right winged?
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 7:44:44 PM
At 7/27/2015 7:34:57 PM, Commondebator wrote:
At 7/27/2015 7:34:08 PM, triangle.128k wrote:

was he really that right winged?

I couldn't even tell what his political views were... I just brought up the fact that there are some homophobes on here, they never get banned. Yet vi_spex get's banned for a homophobic slur, what the heck?
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 8:05:36 PM

Wait, you can get banned for being homophobic on DDO?? I thought that was common here...
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 8:31:17 PM
At 7/27/2015 8:05:36 PM, Midnight1131 wrote:

Wait, you can get banned for being homophobic on DDO?? I thought that was common here...

The TOU is worded so broadly that the any inquiry in to what the mods can and can't do is practically moot. It's not like an adversely impacted user would have any recourse anyway.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 8:31:21 PM
At 7/27/2015 8:05:36 PM, Midnight1131 wrote:

You can be homophobic, racist, or whatever - but if you call people "f*ggot" or "n*gger" you will be temp-banned.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 10:17:21 PM

You can be homophobic, racist, or whatever - but if you call people "f*ggot" or "n*gger" you will be temp-banned.

For whatever it is worth, banning on these words is silly. I have read plenty of nasty stuff that never uses these two trigger words that would be deserving of a "ban".

What is really needed is a jury system. The sane solution to the problem, if there is one, with banning users is the arbitrary and perceived arbitrary nature of the decision process.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 10:31:09 PM
At 7/27/2015 10:17:21 PM, TBR wrote:

For whatever it is worth, banning on these words is silly. I have read plenty of nasty stuff that never uses these two trigger words that would be deserving of a "ban".

Then that can warrant a ban, but that doesn't mean this can't too.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 10:38:22 PM

Then that can warrant a ban, but that doesn't mean this can't too.

Don't disagree.

I think the only thing I have ever asked for (or cared about) in the banning process is consistency. This came up in the polls section not long ago, and I have to say, the methods were, and remain, under defined.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 10:43:35 PM
Let me plug the jury system a bit again. Using this, the community sets the standard. If DDO were to be overrun by homophobes, so be it. The community would be in charge of setting, and enforcing the community standard.

Temp ban, perm ban would be based on a simple algorithm. It is clean, open, and understandable. It keeps the mods "clean". They can't be accused of any bias, it is the very user base that kicks members out. They are accountable to the very same community, and their votes are public.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 10:50:43 PM
At 7/27/2015 10:43:35 PM, TBR wrote:
Let me plug the jury system a bit again. Using this, the community sets the standard. If DDO were to be overrun by homophobes, so be it. The community would be in charge of setting, and enforcing the community standard.

Temp ban, perm ban would be based on a simple algorithm. It is clean, open, and understandable. It keeps the mods "clean". They can't be accused of any bias, it is the very user base that kicks members out. They are accountable to the very same community, and their votes are public.

Using the majority opinion as a key for right and wrong is a slippery slope. Therefore mods are necessary to make the decisions.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King