Jump to topic:

The Necroposting Needs to Stop

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 1:32:36 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Please stop. You're essentially spamming the main forums. Thanks.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 5:36:50 AM
At 7/27/2015 1:32:36 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I second this.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 5:49:49 AM
I wonder why people do this. We could scan their brains whilst they engage in this sort of activity, but to spare our limited time and finances, we should believe in my guess that it's a form of temporary mental retardation.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 6:02:02 AM
At 7/27/2015 5:49:49 AM, Mirza wrote:
I wonder why people do this. We could scan their brains whilst they engage in this sort of activity, but to spare our limited time and finances, we should believe in my guess that it's a form of temporary mental retardation.

There's a multitude of possible reasons. The only way to truly discover that would be to ask those who regularly necropost, and have faith that their responses are the truth.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 6:08:10 AM
At 7/27/2015 6:02:02 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
There's a multitude of possible reasons. The only way to truly discover that would be to ask those who regularly necropost, and have faith that their responses are the truth.
Yes, indeed. Necroposting to reminisce is nice, but for purely nonsensical reasons, it is not.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 8:00:26 AM

Why can't you just point out names like say, Wylted??
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 10:06:01 AM

There's a reason why necroposting is the most unholiest act you can commit in the religion I invented
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 12:42:39 PM
At 7/27/2015 12:21:13 PM, Hayd wrote:
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 12:48:33 PM
I agree, it's ridiculous to post on something from like 4 years ago.

In Internet years, that is A LOT.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 1:37:29 PM

Preach it!
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 6:14:56 PM

There is no real problem with "spamming the main forums." Ultimately DDO is a small community. While there may be hundreds of thousands of members, only about 50 odd members regularly use the forums. The most important things happening on DDO are things that these members (the very active core of DDO) want to discuss. If the general concensus among this peer group is that necroposting is fun, then of course people will necro-post.

It may make the forums look "untidy" or "spammy," but who cares? The forums are there for us to use. Juggle doesn't periodically do inspections to see if the forums are not cluttered. We don't need to keep the forums "tidy" for potential outsider non-members to present some sort of image of DDO. It is akin to your room being a mess when you are a bachelor who lives alone and no one is visiting you that day. Nobody cares.

The forums are ours to use. By "us," I refer to the core, active memberbase. If you are personally annoyed by necroposting, it is your perogative to be annoyed. But it is just as well anyone else's perogative to necropost to their heart's content.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 7:06:57 PM
At 7/27/2015 6:49:43 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
I think it's funny

Ya me too. Tell me I can't do it and guess what it's the first thing I do. Just posted on a 6 year old thread in politics.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 7:26:54 PM

They'll probably wait 3 years to respond for you, but stick around. I'm sure you'll get responses.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 7:27:59 PM
At 7/27/2015 8:00:26 AM, XLAV wrote:

Why can't you just point out names like say, Wylted??

I did it to like 5 threads but it caught on. Now there are too many names to mention, without making somebody feel bad because they were left out.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 7:37:14 PM
I also like reminiscing about how the old culture of the site, though I wasn't there. The thread hall of fame isn't that old, and it would be nice if a few of these old threads blow up and we can pay homage to members no longer with us in the HOF.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 9:17:32 PM
At 7/27/2015 6:08:10 AM, Mirza wrote:
Yes, indeed. Necroposting to reminisce is nice, but for purely nonsensical reasons, it is not.

That's a very good distinction to bring up, and I agree with your sentiments.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 9:19:04 PM
At 7/27/2015 7:26:54 PM, Wylted wrote:

They'll probably wait 3 years to respond for you, but stick around. I'm sure you'll get responses.

Lol, that'd be an epic troll move.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 9:32:01 PM
At 7/27/2015 6:14:56 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

The most important things happening on DDO are things that these members (the very active core of DDO) want to discuss. If the general concensus among this peer group is that necroposting is fun, then of course people will necro-post.

Posts need to be relevant to the topic/subforum they are in. It would be spamming to fill the religious forum with politics questions, for instance. Similarly, nonsense or pointless posts belong in the misc section, not the DDO main forum, which is for discussion of site-related topics.

And, frankly, just because members think something is fun does not mean it isn't spam. If, for some reason, people suddenly thought making hundreds of rickrolling threads was fun, they would still be spamming this forum by filling it with content that (A) belongs elsewhere, (b) buries relevant content, (c) annoys other users with pointless junk posts, and (d) clearly meets the definition of spam as understood by moderation. "Funness" is not a good metric by which to assess which posts are spam. "Relevance" is a far better standard.

Finally, I would disagree that a majority of members like these spam posts. I could name 5 or 6 who do like them, but I could name 15 or more who don't. So, even under your interpretation of what spam is, those necroposts are spam.

It may make the forums look "untidy" or "spammy," but who cares?

Judging by the remarks from other users in this thread, many people care. Besides, it's not just a lack of "tidiness." Spam posts bury relevant content. Spam posts and untidiness deter new users or give them negative impressions of our forums and our site. And spam posts often resurrect content that is controversial or inappropriate; I can think of a few instances of people bumping threads that were not exactly kosher just for the fun of it.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 10:02:00 PM
At 7/27/2015 9:32:01 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Posts need to be relevant to the topic/subforum they are in.

Says who? It would be convenient for all of us if they are in their relevant forum but they most certainly don't "need" to be. We post them in the relevant forum because we as a community want them there.

And, frankly, just because members think something is fun does not mean it isn't spam. If, for some reason, people suddenly thought making hundreds of rickrolling threads was fun, they would still be spamming this forum by filling it with content that (A) belongs elsewhere, (b) buries relevant content, (c) annoys other users with pointless junk posts, and (d) clearly meets the definition of spam as understood by moderation. "Funness" is not a good metric by which to assess which posts are spam. "Relevance" is a far better standard.

Why are we talking about "spam" here? Spam in my definition are those advertisements that are posted here every night, the love spam, etc. Core members d!cking around and having fun isn't "spam." There is no malignant intent or even an intent to spam. People are simply enjoying themselves reminiscing about past times while letting nostalgia take over.

Judging by the remarks from other users in this thread, many people care. Besides, it's not just a lack of "tidiness." Spam posts bury relevant content. Spam posts and untidiness deter new users or give them negative impressions of our forums and our site. And spam posts often resurrect content that is controversial or inappropriate; I can think of a few instances of people bumping threads that were not exactly kosher just for the fun of it.

All true for the spammy advertisements posted on the site each night. Necroposting is different. It is done by us for our entertainment. What is "relevant content?" It is a free market. Relevant content is content that the active memberbase wants to discuss. If the active memberbase are enjoying themselves bumping old thread, who the heck is any of us to tell them "stop doing this. I deem this content not 'relevant.'"

If you wanted to make threads about current events and they are buried under the necroposting, it is unfortunate. People seem more interested in necroposting than in reading your "relevant content" threads. This isn't a school or workplace where you can just get everyone's attention when you want. It's a website on the internet. If you want to say something and it gets buried because the core members want to necro old threads, tough luck man.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 10:27:47 PM
At 7/27/2015 10:02:00 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Posts need to be relevant to the topic/subforum they are in.

Says who? It would be convenient for all of us if they are in their relevant forum but they most certainly don't "need" to be. We post them in the relevant forum because we as a community want them there.

I think if something is grossly off-topic, it's just cluttering a forum with irrelevant information. That's spam, and I know if it were reported as spam, Max would remove it; that's been moderation policy for awhile.

Why are we talking about "spam" here? Spam in my definition are those advertisements that are posted here every night, the love spam, etc. Core members d!cking around and having fun isn't "spam." There is no malignant intent or even an intent to spam. People are simply enjoying themselves reminiscing about past times while letting nostalgia take over.

We're talking about spam because spam is not simply ad spam. Spam can be any irrelevant posts which clutter a forum with junk. Dicking round certainly can be spam, esp. when it's just a few members, who are not necessarily supported by the community, posting threads for no reason other than to get a laugh. It's not even nostalgic.

All true for the spammy advertisements posted on the site each night. Necroposting is different.

No. Everything there applies just as much to necroposts as it does to conventional ad spam.

It is done by us for our entertainment. What is "relevant content?" It is a free market. Relevant content is content that the active memberbase wants to discuss. If the active memberbase are enjoying themselves bumping old thread, who the heck is any of us to tell them "stop doing this. I deem this content not 'relevant.'"

Firstly, it's not relevant because they don't want to discuss it, they just want to bump it to bump it. There's really no more rhyme or reason to it then that. Secondly, it is spam because the content of the bumped posts rarely apply to anything going on now, and many users would prefer to have actually relevant posts not be buried by that old content.

If you wanted to make threads about current events and they are buried under the necroposting, it is unfortunate. People seem more interested in necroposting than in reading your "relevant content" threads.

Just because necroposters are prominent, doesn't mean that more people are interested in necroposting. The people who seem to enjoy it are YYW, Thett, Bossy, Wylted, Sadolite, Ford, n7, and Raisor. I can name a lot more people who find it annoying. In this thread alone, 8 people have voiced their displeasure regarding this.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

TheOpinionist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 10:29:20 PM

What's necroposting?
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 10:30:34 PM
At 7/27/2015 10:29:20 PM, TheOpinionist wrote:

What's necroposting?

Posting in very old threads to move them to the front page. For instance, posting in a 6 year old thread that was on page 100-somthing, and by posting it moving it to the front page.

So, it's "necro" as in dead, as in dead threads, and "posting."
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

TheOpinionist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 10:31:12 PM
At 7/27/2015 10:30:34 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 7/27/2015 10:29:20 PM, TheOpinionist wrote:

What's necroposting?

Posting in very old threads to move them to the front page. For instance, posting in a 6 year old thread that was on page 100-somthing, and by posting it moving it to the front page.

So, it's "necro" as in dead, as in dead threads, and "posting."

Ahh I see...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 10:37:45 PM
At 7/27/2015 10:27:47 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I think if something is grossly off-topic, it's just cluttering a forum with irrelevant information. That's spam, and I know if it were reported as spam, Max would remove it; that's been moderation policy for awhile.

Posting in old threads isn't remotely spam. Airmax shouldn't remove it. I don't know if he actually would but feel free to report and try to get them removed.

We're talking about spam because spam is not simply ad spam. Spam can be any irrelevant posts which clutter a forum with junk. Dicking round certainly can be spam, esp. when it's just a few members, who are not necessarily supported by the community, posting threads for no reason other than to get a laugh. It's not even nostalgic.

You are basically redefining "spam" as "things bsh1 doesn't like." Other people having fun isn't spam.

Just because necroposters are prominent, doesn't mean that more people are interested in necroposting. The people who seem to enjoy it are YYW, Thett, Bossy, Wylted, Sadolite, Ford, n7, and Raisor. I can name a lot more people who find it annoying. In this thread alone, 8 people have voiced their displeasure regarding this.

So half the active members are having fun necroposting and the other half want to discuss current stuff? The status quo seems fine then. So, the people discussing current stuff are complaining that the necroposts are burying their threads? Bullsh!t. It goes both ways. You can create as many threads as you want but you are not entitled to have them viewable on the front page. If your thread is buried, sucks for you.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 10:47:36 PM
At 7/27/2015 10:37:45 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 7/27/2015 10:27:47 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Posting in old threads isn't remotely spam. Airmax shouldn't remove it. I don't know if he actually would but feel free to report and try to get them removed.

I think you may've misunderstood my comment. I said posting something that's grossly off-topic would be removed. For instance, posting "Trump 2016" in the religion forum, would get that thread removed.

However, I think necroposting is off-topic, but that shouldn't get the threads removed. They are part of site history. I think users should be penalized for spamming. Currently, that's no mod policy, but Max did once propose tightening restrictions on necroposting.

You are basically redefining "spam" as "things bsh1 doesn't like." Other people having fun isn't spam.

No, that's a total misrepresentation of what I said.

So half the active members are having fun necroposting and the other half want to discuss current stuff? The status quo seems fine then.

Again, that inaccurately reflects what I said. I contend that most people do not support necroposting, I just cited the opponents of it in this thread as ready examples of people who don't support it. By no means do I think the divide is 50-50.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 12:16:50 AM

Posts need to be relevant to the topic/subforum they are in. It would be spamming to fill the religious forum with politics questions, for instance.

Actually, that wouldn't really change the relevancy of the discussions that go on in that forum...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 12:23:07 AM
At 7/28/2015 12:16:50 AM, Geogeer wrote:

Posts need to be relevant to the topic/subforum they are in. It would be spamming to fill the religious forum with politics questions, for instance.

Actually, that wouldn't really change the relevancy of the discussions that go on in that forum...

Lol...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 3:16:50 AM
At 7/27/2015 10:02:00 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
People are simply enjoying themselves reminiscing about past times while letting nostalgia take over.
BULLSH!T. Most of the necroposters haven't even been here at the times in which the thread they resurrected were made, and probably have nothing to feel nostalgic about.

The necroposting is also now more annoying because the site has a lot of useless activity in general.