Jump to topic:

Vocabulary sucks

XStrikeX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 10:25:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I don't get why people need to post big words in their arguments in a long blur of extreme vocabulary... Is it supposed to make them sound smarter? cause vocab is not something you can vote for... I get confused when people use a bunch of words I've never heard of. Can anyone clarify why people use big words in debate?
~<3 Domo
Anarcho
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 10:28:28 PM
Watch Frasier.
InsertNameHere wrote: "If we evolved from apes then why are apes still around?

This is semi-serious btw. It's something that seems strange to me. You'd think that entire species would cease to exist if other ones evolved from them."

Anarcho wrote: *facepalm*
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 10:48:14 PM
Wherefore, sirrah? The party to this conversation known by the terminology "Myself" or "the speaker of thesewords," heretofore and additionally henceforth to be referred to as Individual A, happens to be most heartily shocked, stupefied indeed, appalled and flabbergasted, that you are partaking in the occupation of exercising such abstruse acrimonious vitriol concerning the noble pursuivance of versant circumlitoritude! Dear me, disregarding my aversity to such, I'm appalled that I must pronounce that the party known as "yourself" is hereby forever barred from pretension to cachet above that of a neanderthal. You have made manifest and clarion that your phrenic powers of accommodation are in contemptible dearth. Good day to you.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 10:55:25 PM
At 8/23/2010 10:48:14 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Wherefore, sirrah? The party to this conversation known by the terminology "Myself" or "the speaker of thesewords," heretofore and additionally henceforth to be referred to as Individual A, happens to be most heartily shocked, stupefied indeed, appalled and flabbergasted, that you are partaking in the occupation of exercising such abstruse acrimonious vitriol concerning the noble pursuivance of versant circumlitoritude! Dear me, disregarding my aversity to such, I'm appalled that I must pronounce that the party known as "yourself" is hereby forever barred from pretension to cachet above that of a neanderthal. You have made manifest and clarion that your phrenic powers of accommodation are in contemptible dearth. Good day to you.

^^ Win.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 10:56:09 PM

10/10. I daresay, I approve of your overly loquacious elocution.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 11:04:27 PM

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com...
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 11:18:46 PM

LMFAO

I tend to use words that nobody knows simply because, as a child, I read the dictionary for fun. I was a spelling bee champ!

What really grinds my gears is when people use words out of context, thinking they're being intelligent.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2010 11:55:22 PM

Lol sorry I had to read that in the voice of a british lady.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2010 12:07:03 AM
At 8/23/2010 11:55:22 PM, lovelife wrote:

Lol sorry I had to read that in the voice of a british lady.

Haha, i actually did the same thing except with a British man.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2010 12:17:45 AM
At 8/24/2010 12:07:03 AM, alex_hanson911 wrote:

Haha, i actually did the same thing except with a British man.

lol
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2010 4:19:28 AM

An absolute brilliant way to say alot yet nothing at all. I'm not a smart man but I can understand "I'm better than you.You're a moron.Have a nice day"
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
XStrikeX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2010 11:51:30 AM
Like I'm totally confused with my opponent's arguments in my debate cause he uses words I have never heard of... http://www.debate.org...
In lieu of his clarification, in tandem with his recent question, I ask CON how he proposes infants, babies, toddlers, and children apply for citizenship...?
Lieu? Tandem? EH??
~<3 Domo
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2010 1:07:20 PM
The purpose of using "big" words is that more often than no these "big" words have a more precise meaning to what the speaker is trying to convey.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2010 1:13:11 PM
At 8/24/2010 1:02:29 PM, XStrikeX wrote:
Who has the best vocabulary on Debate.org too?

Mine is pretty good, I just don't use it. As a child I loved learning words, but I believe in plain speaking.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
XStrikeX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2010 2:04:51 PM
At 8/24/2010 1:07:20 PM, JBlake wrote:
The purpose of using "big" words is that more often than no these "big" words have a more precise meaning to what the speaker is trying to convey.

I don't know, I find it much harder to understand the point they're trying to get across when they use an advanced vocabulary...
~<3 Domo
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2010 2:05:42 PM
At 8/24/2010 2:04:51 PM, XStrikeX wrote:

I don't know, I find it much harder to understand the point they're trying to get across when they use an advanced vocabulary...

Use a dictionary.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2010 2:14:42 PM

JBlake is correct, but unnecessarily obscurely written language can be used to simply obfuscate sorry, confuse the sentence purposely. It can be a tool to make things more vague on purpose, and do the exact opposite to what his point makes. I will occasionally do this in marketing presentations when i am weak in a certain area.
XStrikeX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2010 2:15:02 PM
At 8/24/2010 2:05:42 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Use a dictionary.

That was some of the best advice I have ever gotten.. :P But I still don't get why a good vocabulary is needed, seeing as simple words are easier to understand for the opponent and for the audience. Plus, it's more of a hassle to use a dictionary.
~<3 Domo
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2010 2:16:50 PM
At 8/24/2010 2:15:02 PM, XStrikeX wrote:

Use a dictionary.

That was some of the best advice I have ever gotten.. :P But I still don't get why a good vocabulary is needed, seeing as simple words are easier to understand for the opponent and for the audience. Plus, it's more of a hassle to use a dictionary.

But it's good for you.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2010 2:21:21 PM

Use a dictionary.

It depends. If you want to enter a college, they can look at your rhetoric skills and vocabulary. If you want to be an author, it would be nice with some unique words, too.
frenchmoosetwo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2010 11:34:57 PM

Use a dictionary.

counter all complicated words with extreme 1337 speek