Jump to topic:

To Max:

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 6:31:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The necroposting has gotten ridiculous, and it's time to start punishing people who necropost beyond a reasonable amount. This is just spam now.

Just a thought.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 7:30:57 PM
You cannot have a free DDO without necroposting and you cannot have necroposting without a free DDO.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 8:27:12 PM
At 7/28/2015 7:30:57 PM, n7 wrote:
You cannot have a free DDO without necroposting and you cannot have necroposting without a free DDO.

Necroposting is spam. Allowing necroposting would be displaying negligence for the rules of the site.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 8:49:31 PM
I feel like a few questions need to be answered before any kind of moderation could be rightfully taken against people who necropost:

1. How, exactly, do we define necroposting? What kind of time frame is there before a thread is "dead" and posting in it would be necroposting? Is it any posting in dead threads at all, regardless of intellectual merit, that constitutes necroposting?

2. What kind of punishment would necroposting merit? Deletion of the thread? Temp ban? If you're going to banning, what kind of time frame? A day? A week?

3. Is this issue more worth our attention in moderating than other issues affecting the site?
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 8:55:58 PM
At 7/28/2015 8:49:31 PM, Zaradi wrote:
I feel like a few questions need to be answered before any kind of moderation could be rightfully taken against people who necropost:

1. How, exactly, do we define necroposting? What kind of time frame is there before a thread is "dead" and posting in it would be necroposting? Is it any posting in dead threads at all, regardless of intellectual merit, that constitutes necroposting?

2. What kind of punishment would necroposting merit? Deletion of the thread? Temp ban? If you're going to banning, what kind of time frame? A day? A week?

3. Is this issue more worth our attention in moderating than other issues affecting the site?

I would like to add:
4. How does necroposting differ from other unsubstansive and thoughtless posting? Isn't a new topic that has no intellectual value worse than necroposting with an actual thoughtful post?
My work here is, finally, done.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 9:22:08 PM
At 7/28/2015 8:55:58 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I would like to add:
4. How does necroposting differ from other unsubstansive and thoughtless posting? Isn't a new topic that has no intellectual value worse than necroposting with an actual thoughtful post?

Necroposting with a thoughtful post is an extremely rare occurrence.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 9:23:15 PM
At 7/28/2015 6:31:48 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
The necroposting has gotten ridiculous, and it's time to start punishing people who necropost beyond a reasonable amount. This is just spam now.

Just a thought.
Harder, I'm going to put increased moderation (something you seem to be extremely pro but only in your favor) into a perspective that also affects you.

Since spam is defined as "irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients", anyone who has participated in an argument within a thread needs to be banned. This includes you as merely adding posts to the thread does not contribute to the overall topic.

However, posts made to a thread that improve them or contribute to the discussion are fine.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 9:24:14 PM
In essence, you are asking for Airmax to walk down a slope that would only serve to kill DDO.
TUF, and YYW
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 9:26:18 PM
At 7/28/2015 9:23:15 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Just a thought.
Harder, I'm going to put increased moderation (something you seem to be extremely pro but only in your favor) into a perspective that also affects you.

Since spam is defined as "irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients", anyone who has participated in an argument within a thread needs to be banned. This includes you as merely adding posts to the thread does not contribute to the overall topic.

I don't know what point you're trying to make.

However, posts made to a thread that improve them or contribute to the discussion are fine.

Again, I fail to see your point.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 9:27:44 PM
At 7/28/2015 9:22:08 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I would like to add:

#responsive
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 9:28:38 PM
At 7/28/2015 9:26:18 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Just a thought.

Put simply, what you are asking Airmax to do would get you banned as well.
Or do you think that flame-wars should be excluded, if moderation on spam is increased?

Again, I fail to see your point.
TUF, and YYW
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 9:30:08 PM
At 7/28/2015 9:28:38 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Just a thought.

Or do you think that flame-wars should be excluded, if moderation on spam is increased?

Moderation on necroposting is irrelevant to personal arguments between members.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 9:30:37 PM

I would like to add:

That doesn't address the question.
If you are concerned about spamming, why is necroposting, which may be a thread of value and could start conversation anew more of a crime than someone who posts a new thread of zero value?
Why should one be punished and not the other?
My work here is, finally, done.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 9:30:52 PM
At 7/28/2015 9:30:08 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Just a thought.

Nope. It is still spam.
TUF, and YYW
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 9:33:14 PM

Posting to spam the forum (i.e. making single-worded posts to bump 4 year old threads).

Deletion of the post and three-strikes for the necroposter - then temp-ban.

Airmax has enough time to ban a few repeat-offending necroposters. This shouldn't be of any trouble. Getting rid of spammers in the forum is just as important as getting rid of overtly racist trolls in the polls section.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 9:34:13 PM
At 7/28/2015 9:30:52 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Just a thought.

Nope. It is still spam.

It's not even close to the level of negativity as extreme necroposting.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 9:34:16 PM

Just a thought.

Why is necroposting "bad"?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 9:35:41 PM
At 7/28/2015 9:30:37 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I would like to add:

If you are concerned about spamming, why is necroposting, which may be a thread of value and could start conversation anew more of a crime than someone who posts a new thread of zero value?

The thoughtful person shouldn't be banned, as they aren't spamming due to their intellectual contribution to the site. Bumping an askbob thread from 6 years ago with a sentence irrelevant to anything is spam, and holds no value.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 9:36:07 PM
At 7/28/2015 9:34:13 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Just a thought.

Nope. It is still spam.

"Airmax has enough time to ban a few repeat-offending necroposters. This shouldn't be of any trouble. Getting rid of spammers in the forum is just as important as getting rid of overtly racist trolls in the polls section."

Spam is spam, no matter who is doing it or what their intentions are. As someone who plans to study the law; I would expect you to know that you cannot pick and choose which ones to enforce, if you wish to maintain order.
TUF, and YYW
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 9:37:22 PM
At 7/28/2015 9:35:41 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I would like to add:

The thoughtful person shouldn't be banned, as they aren't spamming due to their intellectual contribution to the site. Bumping an askbob thread from 6 years ago with a sentence irrelevant to anything is spam, and holds no value.
You are arguing that people should be banned for something you do regularly. Can you not see that?
TUF, and YYW
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 9:37:29 PM
At 7/28/2015 9:34:16 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Just a thought.

Because it buries threads relevant to the site (like adspam) in favor of utterly irrelevant threads from long ago. It is therefore spam.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 9:38:26 PM
At 7/28/2015 9:37:29 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Just a thought.

Because it buries threads relevant to the site (like adspam) in favor of utterly irrelevant threads from long ago. It is therefore spam.

Well, that could have been "hot topics" that provoke discussion.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 9:39:05 PM
At 7/28/2015 9:36:07 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Just a thought.

Nope. It is still spam.

"Airmax has enough time to ban a few repeat-offending necroposters. This shouldn't be of any trouble. Getting rid of spammers in the forum is just as important as getting rid of overtly racist trolls in the polls section."

Spam is spam, no matter who is doing it or what their intentions are. As someone who plans to study the law; I would expect you to know that you cannot pick and choose which ones to enforce, if you wish to maintain order.

I don't care about your subjective view of how to maintain order in society if it is absolutely irrelevant.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 9:40:02 PM
At 7/28/2015 9:37:22 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

I would like to add:

You are arguing that people should be banned for something you do regularly. Can you not see that?

I don't regularly necropost, so I don't know what you're talking about.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 9:40:15 PM
At 7/28/2015 9:39:05 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Just a thought.

Nope. It is still spam.

I don't care about your subjective view of how to maintain order in society if it is absolutely irrelevant.
If maintaining order on the site is not your intent, what was the point of making this thread?
TUF, and YYW
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 9:41:01 PM
At 7/28/2015 9:38:26 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 7/28/2015 9:37:29 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Just a thought.

Well, that could have been "hot topics" that provoke discussion.

If you're talking about bumping a thread to make a thoughtful post, then that is not spam due to it's intellectual value.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 9:42:22 PM
At 7/28/2015 9:40:02 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 7/28/2015 9:37:22 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

I would like to add:

I don't regularly necropost, so I don't know what you're talking about.
No. You regularly get into flame-wars. Like other forms of spam (irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients), they hold no value and do not contribute to the topic of the thread.
TUF, and YYW
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 9:43:49 PM
At 7/28/2015 9:40:15 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
Nope. It is still spam.

If maintaining order on the site is not your intent, what was the point of making this thread?

To stop relevant threads from being buried by necroposting, and I'm also a bit pissed off about having my notifications spammed by people necroposting in months old threads, replying to my old posting to annoy me, so now I'm going to push this to Max as hard as possible.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 9:45:40 PM
At 7/28/2015 9:33:14 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Posting to spam the forum (i.e. making single-worded posts to bump 4 year old threads).

A few questions:
1. What distinctions, if any, does the length of time have to do with the post? Is it the post itself or the length of time between the necro and the last post in the thread?
2. If it's the time, where's the bright line? At what age do we consider a thread to be "dead" and posting in it would be necroposting?
3. Is content irrelevant to the post itself? Are people who make intelligent thoughtful responses to the OP just as much in the wrong as people who reply just to say "lol"?

Deletion of the post and three-strikes for the necroposter - then temp-ban.

A few more questions:

1. What good does deleting the post do if the thread still gets bumped?
2. How long of a temp-ban are you suggesting?
3. If it's as serious a problem as you seem to suggest, why three strike? Why not one warning then temp ban, or just no warning at all and temp ban?

Airmax has enough time to ban a few repeat-offending necroposters. This shouldn't be of any trouble. Getting rid of spammers in the forum is just as important as getting rid of overtly racist trolls in the polls section.

There's more on Airmax's plate than just the polls section.

Like, I'm not sure you're understanding what I'm asking you for. I don't want vague and not really helpful general suggestions. I want you to pitch a policy at me on what you thing should be done in regards to moderating necroposting.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 9:46:09 PM
At 7/28/2015 9:43:49 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 7/28/2015 9:40:15 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
Nope. It is still spam.

To stop relevant threads from being buried by necroposting, and I'm also a bit pissed off about having my notifications spammed by people necroposting in months old threads, replying to my old posting to annoy me, so now I'm going to push this to Max as hard as possible.
So. This thread does not pertain to the site as a whole but merely serves to display your frustration over an action taken by members? By your own admission, this thread needs to be deleted for not pertaining to the site. It serves as spam upon the DDO Forum.
TUF, and YYW