Jump to topic:

WODC Round 4

larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 2:06:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Get ready to rumble! The 2015 World Online Debate Cup enters the penultimate round. This round the theme is something a bit different.

THEME: Sports

TOPICS:
This House believes feminism should celebrate unisex sports leagues.
This House would ban hunting competitions.
This House believes teams should allow sponsors to advertise on their jerseys.

The tables are led by FourTrouble and TheJuniorVarsityNovice, closely chased by Wylted and Zaradi. With 12 competitors, the lack of a bye in the remaining 2 rounds will probably also have an effect on site placings, edeb8 moving up last year largely due to getting a bye in the final two rounds.

MATCH-UPS:
FourTrouble v TheJuniorVarsityNovice
Fourtrouble = AWAY, NEGATING

Wylted v The Redneck
Wylted = AWAY, NEGATING

Zaradi v RXR.
Zaradi = HOME, NEGATING

shabshoral v UtherPenguin
shabshoral = AWAY, AFFIRMING

debatability v Stag
debatability = AWAY, AFFIRMING

lannan13 v That1User
lannan13 = HOME, NEGATING

This round I've changed it slightly so that I can also verify who is home/away and negating/affirming, as you can see.

Debates on DDO:
Zaradi v RXR.
shabshoral v UtherPenguin
lannan13 v That1User

Debates on Edeb8:
Wylted v The Redneck
debatability v Stag

Good luck to all! Remember that TOPICS MUST BE PICKED WITHIN 24 HOURS!!!
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 3:35:14 AM
At 7/29/2015 2:06:06 AM, larztheloser wrote:
Get ready to rumble! The 2015 World Online Debate Cup enters the penultimate round. This round the theme is something a bit different.

THEME: Sports

TOPICS:
This House believes feminism should celebrate unisex sports leagues.
This House would ban hunting competitions.
This House believes teams should allow sponsors to advertise on their jerseys.

The tables are led by FourTrouble and TheJuniorVarsityNovice, closely chased by Wylted and Zaradi. With 12 competitors, the lack of a bye in the remaining 2 rounds will probably also have an effect on site placings, edeb8 moving up last year largely due to getting a bye in the final two rounds.

MATCH-UPS:
Fourtrouble = AWAY, NEGATING

I was conflicted about it, but I'm going to have to drop out of the tournament. Its been fun but I don't really have the time to constantly debate and want to get back to some of my own topics. Thanks for having me though! I'll smoke you guys next time around : )...have a good match everyone.
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 3:42:38 AM
At 7/29/2015 3:35:14 AM, TheJuniorVarsityNovice wrote:

I was conflicted about it, but I'm going to have to drop out of the tournament. Its been fun but I don't really have the time to constantly debate and want to get back to some of my own topics. Thanks for having me though! I'll smoke you guys next time around : )...have a good match everyone.

Jeepers, FourTrouble is going to get to the final round on 4 wins even though he's only done 1 debate...
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 12:57:36 PM
Not a fan of the topics.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 1:03:30 PM
At 7/29/2015 12:57:36 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Not a fan of the topics.

The topics are tough on everyone. They're a bit different :)

Speaking of which, the following people are yet to post their topic selections:

UtherPenguin
RXR.
debatability
That1User
The Redneck
TheJuniorVarsityNovice [dropping out]
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 6:22:38 PM
At 7/29/2015 1:03:30 PM, larztheloser wrote:
Not a fan of the topics.

UtherPenguin
RXR.
debatability
That1User
The Redneck

Hurry up!

If we don't get these topic selections in, no debates will literally be happening this round lol. Might as well skip straight to round 5 if that happens.

Come on...
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 8:45:35 PM
At 7/29/2015 6:22:38 PM, larztheloser wrote:
At 7/29/2015 1:03:30 PM, larztheloser wrote:
Not a fan of the topics.

UtherPenguin
RXR.
debatability
That1User
The Redneck

Hurry up!

If we don't get these topic selections in, no debates will literally be happening this round lol. Might as well skip straight to round 5 if that happens.

Come on...

You could just extend the time period.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 2:11:43 AM
Just saying, otherwise it's not fair to those who DO submit their topics on time.

I'll give it another hour or two... Zaradi v RXR is the only debate actually happening at present. A real shame...
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 6:08:05 AM
At 7/30/2015 5:53:55 AM, larztheloser wrote:
Alright, round 4 will be a one-debate round. Everyone else who selected topics gets free wins.

How many rounds are left?

If I were you I would just take everyone who has forfeited more than once out of the tournament and just have everyone else debate each other. That way free wins won't influence anything.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz

"No aspect of your facial structure suggests Filipino descent."
~ YYW
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 6:12:17 AM
At 7/30/2015 6:08:05 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
Alright, round 4 will be a one-debate round. Everyone else who selected topics gets free wins.

If I were you I would just take everyone who has forfeited more than once out of the tournament and just have everyone else debate each other. That way free wins won't influence anything.

There's only one more round after this one.

I *think* that all the serial forfeiters are facing each other next round anyway (results of the one debate dependant) but we'll see. If you're right I'll probably do that.
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 6:12:46 AM
At 7/30/2015 6:12:17 AM, larztheloser wrote:
At 7/30/2015 6:08:05 AM, ShabShoral wrote:

There's only one more round after this one.

I *think* that all the serial forfeiters are facing each other next round anyway (results of the one debate dependant) but we'll see. If you're right I'll probably do that.

One more before the break round anyway.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 7:28:26 AM

Did you literally give people less than 48 hours to select topics. It's pretty easy to miss a 24 or even 36 hour window.
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 7:41:25 AM
At 7/30/2015 7:28:26 AM, Wylted wrote:

Did you literally give people less than 48 hours to select topics. It's pretty easy to miss a 24 or even 36 hour window.

It's been 24 hours every round. Typically I've left it open for an extra 5 hours or so in case of technical issues. If people know in advance they can't make it, I'm happy to offer extensions, as I did with lannan in the previous round. Otherwise I'll hear it case-by-case.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 7:49:52 AM
At 7/30/2015 7:41:25 AM, larztheloser wrote:

It's been 24 hours every round. Typically I've left it open for an extra 5 hours or so in case of technical issues. If people know in advance they can't make it, I'm happy to offer extensions, as I did with lannan in the previous round. Otherwise I'll hear it case-by-case.

I think it's hard. Work and sleep often takes up over 16 hours if you exclude the commute, and if it's a particularly busy day due to family being in town or a doctors appointment or something it can be impossible to meet the deadline. I request that next WODC or maybe starting next round, you amend the rules, so that if somebody doesn't make it within that timeframe, the topic is automatically the one which is the number 1 pick by their opponent.

I obviously won't fight it too hard at this point, I don't care how I got my win.
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 7:53:53 AM
At 7/30/2015 7:49:52 AM, Wylted wrote:

I think it's hard. Work and sleep often takes up over 16 hours if you exclude the commute, and if it's a particularly busy day due to family being in town or a doctors appointment or something it can be impossible to meet the deadline. I request that next WODC or maybe starting next round, you amend the rules, so that if somebody doesn't make it within that timeframe, the topic is automatically the one which is the number 1 pick by their opponent.

I obviously won't fight it too hard at this point, I don't care how I got my win.

Interesting idea. My concern would be, if they have to set up the debate, and can't do topic selections fast enough, they probably won't be able to set up the debate fast enough either.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 8:00:55 AM
At 7/30/2015 7:53:53 AM, larztheloser wrote:
At 7/30/2015 7:49:52 AM, Wylted wrote:

Interesting idea. My concern would be, if they have to set up the debate, and can't do topic selections fast enough, they probably won't be able to set up the debate fast enough either.

I'm sure most of the time that will be correct. Me and the redneck are about to set up our debate. If it counts cool, if not cool. It's basically a free win anyway.