Jump to topic:

What make this community special?

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 2:37:45 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
There was a time when I felt this community was peculiar. People had distinct identities and views, and in spite of our differences, there was some form of unity. It was a great place to be.

Now, this has become almost a social website. I don't mind that people have social interaction - in fact, it's great. However, people now more than ever bond with each other to the point where having any sort of heated intellectual discussion between prominent members is a rarity. Even experienced formal debaters brawling is a rarity. No matter what your list of top debaters is within a reasonable frame, you will find that they rarely engage in a debate. Or two, or three. This was not the case before; at least not to this level.

Aside from this, the forum is spammed to an excessive point, both by childish interactions and activities like necroposting. The prominent members hardly step in with an authoritative command, because who wants to ruin a lovely friendship on a debating site?

This site is not peculiar. Not since a few years ago. Go to other forum sites and just read what people write without being a member. It's a joy. They're serious, "professional," defend their views, and actually specialize in the areas they talk about.

Unless the site acquires a more serious tone, I don't see the quality improving. If I've offended the many children here (biological and mental), I'm glad.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 2:50:42 AM
I don't think I disagree. I have not been here five years, so I have no idea what it was. What it is is fine too, but I think there is some tribalism, and some excessive concern over perceptions of each other.

Its not that I discount "community", but I insult my FRIENDS on facebook more than I insult people on this site.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 2:54:42 AM
At 7/29/2015 2:50:42 AM, TBR wrote:
I don't think I disagree. I have not been here five years, so I have no idea what it was. What it is is fine too, but I think there is some tribalism, and some excessive concern over perceptions of each other.

Its not that I discount "community", but I insult my FRIENDS on facebook more than I insult people on this site.
Correct. There's no Danielle here anymore. I couldn't say a word before without being challenged heavily on my beliefs, and not even just by her. Same with her and others. There was more intellectual stimulation. A tough challenge. If you said something about anarchy, you were seriously expected to defend it or be ridiculed, which is great on a website like this. People should be challenged.

Right now, there are an exceptional amount of sissies, whose primary objective is to have some sort of social identity. All talk, little action, though. :(
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 2:58:39 AM
My "friends" on this site are dimetric different than me. The actual friends are conservative. Why on earth would I come to this site to talk (debate) with people I agree with? I can go to DemocraticUnderground to get an echo.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 2:59:45 AM
I should say that the conservative friends that I have made started with me disagreeing with them. Thats how it should work.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 3:16:49 AM
At 7/29/2015 2:54:42 AM, Mirza wrote:

Correct. There's no Danielle here anymore. I couldn't say a word before without being challenged heavily on my beliefs, and not even just by her. Same with her and others. There was more intellectual stimulation. A tough challenge. If you said something about anarchy, you were seriously expected to defend it or be ridiculed, which is great on a website like this. People should be challenged.

Right now, there are an exceptional amount of sissies, whose primary objective is to have some sort of social identity. All talk, little action, though. :(

Yeah, I miss some of the older conservative members who were sophisticated in their beliefs, and articulate at defending them. I also miss the communists and anarchists, and even Geo, who put up a fight when it came to lizard-people theories.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 3:33:59 AM
I have a real life friend, been friends since high school. Smartest, biggest bastard of a conservative I know. We argue, and if we leave the conversation without one of us signing off with "F**k you!" we have done something wrong.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 3:37:25 AM
At 7/29/2015 3:16:49 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Yeah, I miss some of the older conservative members who were sophisticated in their beliefs, and articulate at defending them. I also miss the communists and anarchists, and even Geo, who put up a fight when it came to lizard-people theories.
Indeed. I actually think quite a few prominent members today would be punching bags back in the day.
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 3:42:41 AM

You're wrong about everything!...I have challenged you lol
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 3:45:53 AM
At 7/29/2015 3:37:25 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 7/29/2015 3:16:49 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Indeed. I actually think quite a few prominent members today would be punching bags back in the day.

Yeah. And threads like this happened: http://www.debate.org...
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 4:05:26 PM
This is a new generation of users with different goals. You sound like my parents lamenting about platform shoes and homosexuality. It's a new age. Things will never return to what they once were.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 4:22:52 PM
At 7/29/2015 4:05:26 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
This is a new generation of users with different goals. You sound like my parents lamenting about platform shoes and homosexuality. It's a new age. Things will never return to what they once were.
It doesn't matter what their goals are. It's the purpose of this site that is the most important. If you don't care that intellectual discussions have deteriorated, and that the wannabe-popular members care more about their social status than displaying their opinions and defending them, I'll gladly tell you that your view on this is quite crappy.
FullMetal.Alchemist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 4:45:53 PM
As far as the forums go, I completely agree. Most of the threads I see are intellectual garbage.

I don't know about debates though. I've seen a good amount of interesting/informative debates occurring within just the 2 weeks I've been around (although, admittedly, the trashy debates vastly outnumber those few gems).
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 4:46:12 PM
At 7/29/2015 4:22:52 PM, Mirza wrote:
It doesn't matter what their goals are. It's the purpose of this site that is the most important. If you don't care that intellectual discussions have deteriorated, and that the wannabe-popular members care more about their social status than displaying their opinions and defending them, I'll gladly tell you that your view on this is quite crappy.

You are missing my point, sir. You can't force a change of attitude. The least we can do in this situation is attempt to lead by example. If you think it's so important that we discuss things intellectually, how about you quit insulting Americans and make an actual argument? Last time I called on you to defend yourself you suddenly went silent when I showed your issues with America originated in Europe, and the Europeans were worse. You could not defend that and stopped responding. That is no better than the people you are complaining about. Take responsibility and do something instead of whining like an old man.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
FullMetal.Alchemist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 4:48:18 PM
At 7/29/2015 4:46:12 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

You are missing my point, sir. You can't force a change of attitude. The least we can do in this situation is attempt to lead by example. If you think it's so important that we discuss things intellectually, how about you quit insulting Americans and make an actual argument? Last time I called on you to defend yourself you suddenly went silent when I showed your issues with America originated in Europe, and the Europeans were worse. You could not defend that and stopped responding. That is no better than the people you are complaining about. Take responsibility and do something instead of whining like an old man.

I'm fairly sure his (hilarious) America-bashing threads are trolling, given the level of intelligence he's demonstrated elsewhere.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 4:50:21 PM
At 7/29/2015 4:48:18 PM, FullMetal.Alchemist wrote:

I'm fairly sure his (hilarious) America-bashing threads are trolling, given the level of intelligence he's demonstrated elsewhere.

I certainly hope so. But my point still stands. It's hypocritical for him to criticize others when he's doing the same thing.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
FullMetal.Alchemist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 4:52:57 PM
At 7/29/2015 4:50:21 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

I certainly hope so. But my point still stands. It's hypocritical for him to criticize others when he's doing the same thing.

I much prefer his amusing trolling to the boring, excessively-long, "social" exchanges that many members on this site (including yourself) engage in on the forums.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 4:58:11 PM
At 7/29/2015 4:52:57 PM, FullMetal.Alchemist wrote:
At 7/29/2015 4:50:21 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

I much prefer his amusing trolling to the boring, excessively-long, "social" exchanges that many members on this site (including yourself) engage in on the forums.

I don't find it amusing. The forums are intended for social interaction. Maybe my social interactions aren't great on here, but at least I'm not saying it shouldn't happen and continue doing it. He wants intellectual conversation? Let's start by ending trolling that insults half the users on the site. I'm saying he should start by cleaning up his own act.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 9:02:52 PM
At 7/29/2015 2:37:45 AM, Mirza wrote:
There was a time when I felt this community was peculiar. People had distinct identities and views, and in spite of our differences, there was some form of unity. It was a great place to be.

Now, this has become almost a social website. I don't mind that people have social interaction - in fact, it's great. However, people now more than ever bond with each other to the point where having any sort of heated intellectual discussion between prominent members is a rarity. Even experienced formal debaters brawling is a rarity. No matter what your list of top debaters is within a reasonable frame, you will find that they rarely engage in a debate. Or two, or three. This was not the case before; at least not to this level.

Aside from this, the forum is spammed to an excessive point, both by childish interactions and activities like necroposting. The prominent members hardly step in with an authoritative command, because who wants to ruin a lovely friendship on a debating site?

This site is not peculiar. Not since a few years ago. Go to other forum sites and just read what people write without being a member. It's a joy. They're serious, "professional," defend their views, and actually specialize in the areas they talk about.

Unless the site acquires a more serious tone, I don't see the quality improving. If I've offended the many children here (biological and mental), I'm glad.

People "bond" with each other? I've seen plenty of people always arguing and even insulting each other. I don't know where you're getting this image from.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 1:32:31 AM
At 7/29/2015 9:02:52 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 7/29/2015 2:37:45 AM, Mirza wrote:

People "bond" with each other? I've seen plenty of people always arguing and even insulting each other. I don't know where you're getting this image from.

I see you in the polls most often. Its funny to me that older members seem to think the forums are better. When I spend time in the forums, I generally see the more inane content. Polls have been bad recently, but its more likely to bring a unique topic out.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 1:38:56 AM

I'm not sure if I'm proud that you're defending your beliefs, or worried that you're so mad... o.O
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 1:39:57 AM
At 7/30/2015 1:38:56 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

I'm not sure if I'm proud that you're defending your beliefs, or worried that you're so mad... o.O

Mirza has irritated me for a long time, lol.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 1:39:57 AM
RM made DDO special. xD
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 1:53:09 AM

I second this. I've encountered many of his threads but haven't found a *single* actual argument America. They're just loaded with insults aimed at anyone who happens to live within the borders.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 1:57:59 AM
At 7/30/2015 1:53:09 AM, Varrack wrote:

I second this. I've encountered many of his threads but haven't found a *single* actual argument America. They're just loaded with insults aimed at anyone who happens to live within the borders.

Thank you!

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 11:57:51 AM
You are missing my point, sir. You can't force a change of attitude. The least we can do in this situation is attempt to lead by example. If you think it's so important that we discuss things intellectually, how about you quit insulting Americans and make an actual argument?
What is an "actual argument"? :)
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 2:36:22 PM
At 7/30/2015 11:57:51 AM, Mirza wrote:
You are missing my point, sir. You can't force a change of attitude. The least we can do in this situation is attempt to lead by example. If you think it's so important that we discuss things intellectually, how about you quit insulting Americans and make an actual argument?
What is an "actual argument"? :)

A point that uses logic, ethics, or emotions, rather than mere ad hominem insults. Personally I think members having a conversation in the forums contributes more positively than your America threads. If you want an intellectual atmosphere, stop contributing to the issue you are complaining about.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 3:07:58 PM
At 7/30/2015 2:36:22 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
A point that uses logic, ethics, or emotions, rather than mere ad hominem insults. Personally I think members having a conversation in the forums contributes more positively than your America threads. If you want an intellectual atmosphere, stop contributing to the issue you are complaining about.
You mean ad hominem as in saying Americans are ignorant, and backing it up with sources? And then using logic plus evidence to show that their ignorance can be dangerous for the world (e.g., the more they don't know where Ukraine is, the more they want to intervene)?

As for the overall atmosphere, it's not in my control. Americans are the most active members here, and when they stop being stubborn, boring, I may contribute to the positive progression. :(
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 3:12:43 PM

I'd be willing to discuss Anarchy vs Authority, as I believe Order to be a cornerstone of civilization.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW