Why did you join debate.org?

Be very clear with your answer.

Here are some potential reasons that pop into my mind
-social interaction
-debate
-academic discussion
-opinions/polls
-trolling

I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 5:22:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I think you might want to bifurcate this survey into two questions: both why people joined and why they stayed. I joined for debate and intellectual discussion, and stayed because I made several great friends and starting playing mafia.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 5:29:01 PM
At 7/29/2015 5:15:17 PM, plants wrote:
I'm going to use this forum as a "brief survey."

Here are some potential reasons that pop into my mind
-social interaction
-debate
-academic discussion
-opinions/polls
-trolling

I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say.

Debate. I found it almost 4 years ago by googling debate and began a Religous debate. I lost, but I have to say that I've massively improved since then. I've enjoyed making an impact on the site and changing a few people's few on some topics. I say that would be the greatest joy out of debating on this site.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 5:29:31 PM
At 7/29/2015 5:22:48 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
I think you might want to bifurcate this survey into two questions: both why people joined and why they stayed. I joined for debate and intellectual discussion, and stayed because I made several great friends and starting playing mafia.

Speaking of which, I have an Econ Mafia game in the works. You game?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
plants
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 5:30:58 PM

Would you have joined this site if it was solely for social networking and mafia?
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 5:38:47 PM
At 7/29/2015 5:30:58 PM, plants wrote:

Would you have joined this site if it was solely for social networking and mafia?

To be honest, probably not. Granted, if I knew what mafia was or had ever played it in the past, I might have considered it. For instance, I might be inclined in the future to join mafiascum (which is exclusively for mafia, so far as I know). But I wouldn't have ever joined solely for the social interaction, notwithstanding the fact that I -- and I would assume many others -- aren't exactly the "life of the party" in real life. I'd probably view it as a waste of time and energy, in fact.

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 5:39:21 PM
At 7/29/2015 5:29:31 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Speaking of which, I have an Econ Mafia game in the works. You game?

Bleh, I don't think I'll have time for that! I'd love to see the setup, though. I might need to redo mine if you're doing econ mafia, lol.

DDO's Economics Messiah
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 5:44:56 PM
To spread ZIONIST propaganda.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
FullMetal.Alchemist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 5:44:57 PM
Summertime boredom led me to find this site and start reading its debates/forums, some of which sparked my interest enough to make an account.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 5:46:48 PM

Debate. That's the reason I joined. I was always a strong proponent of animal rights, so when I was 12, I used to anonymously answer opinion questions on animal rights. 13 is the minimum age for joining DDO, so I couldn't join then. I didn't know of the debate section, I assume the opinions *were* debates. Then, in January 2015, I was selected to participate in my first formal debate, in a parliamentary style debate: "This House believes that advertisements cause impulsive buyers". So, I needed some groundwork for debating, and joined the site. My first debate was a debate on the existence of God -- I joined the site as a monistic idealist and pantheist, so I argued against a personal God. Then, I defended animal rights. The format became obsessive. I discovered 'war debates', and started participating in these mock wars. But I stayed because of one debate: "The Supreme Being Exists," my first proper debate. I then did many God debates and got used to the subject, and did a streak of many other debates. After I lost the first round of the March Beginners Tournament, I began debating madly, and soon got obsessed with the heated intellectual discourse. So I stayed, and I stay. I stay to learn. I stay to read debates. I stay to debate. TBH, I don't care much about the social aspect of the site.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 5:47:23 PM

I joined this site as part of my mandated parole/rehabilitation which was part of a sentence I received 4 years ago for choking a hooker to death. She worked for me but wasn't putting out so there was a confrontation, one thing led to another, and bing bang boom my hands were around the neck of a dead hooker and thats why im here today
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
plants
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 5:48:21 PM
At 7/29/2015 5:47:23 PM, imabench wrote:

I joined this site as part of my mandated parole/rehabilitation which was part of a sentence I received 4 years ago for choking a hooker to death. She worked for me but wasn't putting out so there was a confrontation, one thing led to another, and bing bang boom my hands were around the neck of a dead hooker and thats why im here today

thats cute
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 5:56:17 PM

-debate
-academic discussion
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 6:04:35 PM
At 7/29/2015 5:47:23 PM, imabench wrote:

such a gentleman <3

is the rehab working? out of interest...
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 9:05:21 PM
A combination of net surfing and dumb luck
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 12:57:54 AM
At 7/29/2015 10:00:45 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
Because reasons.

Just because
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sherlockholmesfan2798
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 12:59:01 AM
I always enjoyed debates and discourse, but absolutely hated how unorganized they were online (YouTube comments, forums etc.). After searching online for debates, ( I believe I searched paper books vs electronic books), I came across DDO. I accidentally found what I've been seeking for my entire life. An organized place to debate.

I quickly joined after that.
I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything. - Nikola Tesla
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 3:22:10 AM
To express, anonymously, my conjecture and perception regarding the varying topics discussed on DDO, and to discover contemporary ideals amongst other members whose dissenting opinions induce an overwlehming incentive to cogitate and partake in a session of reflection and analyzing.

Succinctly, and for the sake of brevity: DDO is fascinating.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 3:15:39 PM
Why I joined? A cute girl I knew from school used this site and I used it to reach her. Unfortunately, I found out she was completely crazy in the wrong way.

Why I stayed? Idk. I'm torn between mafia and the fact that I enjoy watching the flamewars/manipulating those with immature emotional control.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2015 9:23:59 PM
At 7/31/2015 9:21:29 PM, CiRrK wrote:
Boredom mostly...thats kinda why i just checked here after 2 years or so. Hello my friends.
Long time no see, CiRrK. I was hoping more conservatives would rejoin our community. :)