Jump to topic:

Who's Who of Debate.org

kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 6:27:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I thought it would be neat to see who the community of DDO respects in its respective categories. I am not interested in who is most knowledgeable or the best at these categories. Rather I am interested in who makes the most positive impact.

Feel free to nominate one person per category.

Religious Forum

Political Forum

Philosophy Forum

and so on for the forums.

Likewise,

Debaters:

Polls
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 6:33:14 PM
At 8/12/2015 6:27:27 PM, kasmic wrote:
I thought it would be neat to see who the community of DDO respects in its respective categories. I am not interested in who is most knowledgeable or the best at these categories. Rather I am interested in who makes the most positive impact.

Religious Forum

Political Forum

Philosophy Forum

Likewise,

Debaters:

Polls

Respectively:

bornofgod
YYW
Chaosism
tejretics
?
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 7:31:01 PM
For Polls it would be between myself and Petersmith
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 8:21:36 PM

I think there are some notable contributors to the site. This list is obviously not exhaustive: YYW, Airmax, thett3, Whiteflame, Khaos, FT, Tej, Skep, etc. Really, there are far too many great members to possibly name.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 8:29:41 PM
At 8/12/2015 8:24:12 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I could be wrong, but I think he plays first base.

Every one of your posts makes me simultaneously cringe and laugh. You're on a hot streak.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 10:19:06 PM
At 8/12/2015 8:24:12 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I could be wrong, but I think he plays first base.

"Who's on first."
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 12:31:41 AM
Skepsikyma is the smartest person on DDO in my opinion. Like seriously...virtually everything that comes out of that guy's mouth is sheer genius.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
pencilpusher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 3:01:03 AM
At 8/13/2015 12:31:41 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Skepsikyma is the smartest person on DDO in my opinion. Like seriously...virtually everything that comes out of that guy's mouth is sheer genius.

Reading his profile, it doesn't look like he has much fun. I mean, he says he's not partial to sports, but he enjoys classical music, a lot of it in fact. They are essentially the same. It's the arranging of mathematical components that represent abstract ideas such as art and beauty in order to appeal to an audience. Case and point. National anthems. National sports teams.

As for the rest. I've read the the same books he has, and probably a thousand more, but I don't feel the need to overcompensate by telling everybody about it. If you are really that insecure and hard on epistemology, you'd communicate in terms of stories that reflect the society in which it was written and current events. That's how anybody will ever know you were ever alive, by writing about what was through your mind and body as you wrote it, that's how human beings relate to one another.

If sports isn't part of it, but music is, why comment on it at all. Genius he is not. He does however say a lot of reasonable sounding things, but to another well read person, instructing people on how to think and speak is part of the illusion, that's what they teach you in school now. Stand aside for the important sounding doctors, psychologists, teachers, principals, that's literally what the text books say these days. We're all geniuses. There are just different kinds of genius.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 8:51:54 AM
At 8/12/2015 8:21:36 PM, bsh1 wrote:

YYW, Airmax, thett3, Whiteflame, Khaos, FT, Tej, Skep, etc.

His own VP doesn't even make the "off the top of his head" list </3
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 9:03:50 AM
At 8/13/2015 8:51:54 AM, Zaradi wrote:
At 8/12/2015 8:21:36 PM, bsh1 wrote:

YYW, Airmax, thett3, Whiteflame, Khaos, FT, Tej, Skep, etc.

His own VP doesn't even make the "off the top of his head" list </3

<3 Zaradi, shirtlessness would help you make that list...Just sayin'...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 11:08:03 AM

Religious Forum
1. Envisage

Political Forum
1. RoyLatham
2. YYW

Philosophy Forum
1. Fkkize
2. N7

Likewise,

Debaters:

Way too many. Bluesteel, Raisor, Whiteflame, Bsh, Zaradi, 16k, etc.

Polls

I can only think of PetersSmith, Lannan, Briantheliberal, and Tajshar2k.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 1:17:33 PM
At 8/13/2015 3:01:03 AM, pencilpusher wrote:

Reading his profile, it doesn't look like he has much fun.
Lol, okay, because that's a totally rational conclusion to come to from reading a debate site profile...

I mean, he says he's not partial to sports, but he enjoys classical music, a lot of it in fact. They are essentially the same. It's the arranging of mathematical components that represent abstract ideas such as art and beauty in order to appeal to an audience. Case and point. National anthems. National sports teams.
It's just not my cup of tea, as I've never been able to get into the 'team spirit' mentality that is so ingrained in the culture of sports. I'll watch fencing or diving when the Oympics come on, but that's about the extent of it.

As for the rest. I've read the the same books he has, and probably a thousand more, but I don't feel the need to overcompensate by telling everybody about it. If you are really that insecure and hard on epistemology, you'd communicate in terms of stories that reflect the society in which it was written and current events. That's how anybody will ever know you were ever alive, by writing about what was through your mind and body as you wrote it, that's how human beings relate to one another.
Do you really think that I've listed every book that I've ever read on my profile? I've listed my favorites, so that maybe someone else will decide to pick one up and give it a read. I don't care if anyone knows if I was ever alive.

If sports isn't part of it, but music is, why comment on it at all. Genius he is not. He does however say a lot of reasonable sounding things, but to another well read person, instructing people on how to think and speak is part of the illusion, that's what they teach you in school now. Stand aside for the important sounding doctors, psychologists, teachers, principals, that's literally what the text books say these days. We're all geniuses. There are just different kinds of genius.
I actually agree with this. Intelligence isn't some quality that separates an aristocrat of the mind from the common rabble, it's a diverse quality which many people possess in specialized ways. I'm great at literary endeavors, but mediocre when it comes to mathematics and physical prowess. Everyone has a role to play, and I wouldn't want anyone to follow what I say lock-step without critical thought.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 1:22:04 PM
Religious Forum:
RuvDraba, Yassine, AnnaNicole

Philosophy:
Sidewalker

Politics:
Bsh1, YYW, 16kadams

Economics:
Joey, lol

Society:
Bsh1, PCP
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
pencilpusher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 10:31:44 PM
@Skepsikyma.

I apologize about the comment that you must not have fun. You're right, reading online profiles can give one a sense that people are not having fun... when you're one of them... Thanks for giving me the chance to let myself off the hook. Probably wanted to call you out. Probably not the most friendly way of doing it. Not the approach a mathematician would use. And to correct myself about the psychological comment. There are no credentials here or face value, so if I wanted to give off the impression that I am detached, which I think you are, conveying this in my online profile by decorating it with my favorite things to think about is probably the only way of doing it.

You clearly do have fun, otherwise you wouldn't be here, I wouldn't be here, none of us would be here. There are no students at my school that are interested in politics, not the politics that I care about. They seem to be very concerned about social and economic preasures. The more religious crowd also seem very conservative and navie regarding matters of sex. This is probably for the best. Haven't thought about these things in awhile. A new face might bring some opportunities to dicsuss things that other people find difficult to talk about.

We don't teach critical thinking until you get to university level education where I'm from. Even then it's not required. Calculus? Don't need it. Just do this, follow the program, you'll be fine. Here you have to learn everything the hard way. Next time I'll just drop you a profile comment. Where I'm from, if you enjoy Niccolo Machiavelli and Immanuel Kant, you deserve praise.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 10:36:28 PM
At 8/13/2015 10:31:44 PM, pencilpusher wrote:
@Skepsikyma.

I apologize about the comment that you must not have fun. You're right, reading online profiles can give one a sense that people are not having fun... when you're one of them... Thanks for giving me the chance to let myself off the hook. Probably wanted to call you out. Probably not the most friendly way of doing it. Not the approach a mathematician would use. And to correct myself about the psychological comment. There are no credentials here or face value, so if I wanted to give off the impression that I am detached, which I think you are, conveying this in my online profile by decorating it with my favorite things to think about is probably the only way of doing it.

You clearly do have fun, otherwise you wouldn't be here, I wouldn't be here, none of us would be here. There are no students at my school that are interested in politics, not the politics that I care about. They seem to be very concerned about social and economic preasures. The more religious crowd also seem very conservative and navie regarding matters of sex. This is probably for the best. Haven't thought about these things in awhile. A new face might bring some opportunities to dicsuss things that other people find difficult to talk about.

We don't teach critical thinking until you get to university level education where I'm from. Even then it's not required. Calculus? Don't need it. Just do this, follow the program, you'll be fine. Here you have to learn everything the hard way. Next time I'll just drop you a profile comment. Where I'm from, if you enjoy Niccolo Machiavelli and Immanuel Kant, you deserve praise.

It's no problem, and education where I am isn't much better. Even in college, critical thinking and logic were electives. Most degrees didn't include calculus as a required course, even psychology, which shocked me. It's a huge joke.

Welcome to DDO, I'm sure that you'll be a good contributor.
- Hilaire Belloc -
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2015 1:25:44 AM

Religious Forum
1. Skep. Period.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2015 1:29:27 AM

Haha...

+1. I second this. I wouldn't go with smartest, but wisest. There are many smart individual arounds, but none are so well informed & insightful as Skep, as far as I know. Some of my best discussions on this forum are with him.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...