Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

How Am I Hypocritical?

GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 2:04:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I have heard at least 3 or 4 members here say I am hypocritical, but don't really explain how (they try, but aren't specific).

I would like to know.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 2:09:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The reason is likely that many people reject Christianity and other religions because they take them to be absurd, and they assume that's part of your reason for rejecting them. However, then you subscribe to other absurd beliefs.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 2:10:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I've told you: It's something along the lines of you not realizing that the same criticisms you have of religion being just as applicable to the ridiculous conspiracy theories you've cited or maintained... including bad reasoning, lack of substantial proof, misinterpretation, unreliable testimonials, etc.
President of DDO
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 2:12:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/30/2010 2:10:03 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I've told you: It's something along the lines of you not realizing that the same criticisms you have of religion being just as applicable to the ridiculous conspiracy theories you've cited or maintained... including bad reasoning, lack of substantial proof, misinterpretation, unreliable testimonials, etc.

This.

People like you Geo, but when in one thread, you claim reptillians exist and that Alaje is real, but in another (or in the very same), lampoon the exact justifications you use when someone tries to defend Christianity, it's just a little off.
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 2:12:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/30/2010 2:10:03 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I've told you: It's something along the lines of you not realizing that the same criticisms you have of religion being just as applicable to the ridiculous conspiracy theories you've cited or maintained... including bad reasoning, lack of substantial proof, misinterpretation, unreliable testimonials, etc.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 2:17:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/30/2010 2:10:03 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I've told you: It's something along the lines of you not realizing that the same criticisms you have of religion being just as applicable to the ridiculous conspiracy theories you've cited or maintained... including bad reasoning, lack of substantial proof, misinterpretation, unreliable testimonials, etc.

Well put.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 2:30:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
You guys are using the same criticism creationists used against Dawkins. "you believe in little green men but criticize belief in God?! OMG"

Aliens are a scientific matter. Not to mention, they are statistically highly likely and pose no logical contradictions. The same can't be said for God.

The problem is, people don't understand that the nature of the claims are different and then lazily group them all together as "absurd."

There's evidence for aliens, there's evidence for conspiracies, and whole onslaught of evidence against God and religion. That's not hypocritical, that's just recognizing that some extraordinary things are true and some extraordinary things are false. Simple as that.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 2:32:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/30/2010 2:30:43 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Aliens are a scientific matter. Not to mention, they are statistically highly likely and pose no logical contradictions. The same can't be said for God.

Aliens, their biology, their environment, and any physics they employ are scientific.

Reptillian conspiracy theories and the ideals of Alaje are not.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 2:33:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/30/2010 2:10:03 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I've told you: It's something along the lines of you not realizing that the same criticisms you have of religion being just as applicable to the ridiculous conspiracy theories you've cited or maintained... including bad reasoning, lack of substantial proof, misinterpretation, unreliable testimonials, etc.

Meh, scratch that. This - well put.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 2:38:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/30/2010 2:30:43 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Aliens are a scientific matter. Not to mention, they are statistically highly likely and pose no logical contradictions. The same can't be said for God.

Ignoring the fact that many theist philosophers do not present contradictory arguments for god, you're forgetting there are many interpretations of god, and moreover some of the things I cited in my last post went beyond contradicting arguments and included bad reasoning, lack of substantial proof, unverifiable testimonials, etc.

Also, the issue of aliens isn't the only thing. Some of the citation you've given in support of your beliefs are absolutely absurd and far-fetched... just as far fetched as some proof offered in favor of religion. The hypocrisy lies in your inability to make the connection and use the same logic against your sources. You are seemingly blinded to the reality that some of your statements are just as illogical or unsupported as some of the theists'.

The problem is, people don't understand that the nature of the claims are different and then lazily group them all together as "absurd."

Lol, no. That's not it.

There's evidence for aliens, there's evidence for conspiracies, and whole onslaught of evidence against God and religion.

YOUR EVIDENCE SUCKS.

You can't see it, for whatever flabbergasting reason.

That's not hypocritical, that's just recognizing that some extraordinary things are true and some extraordinary things are false. Simple as that.

No, it's that you can't see how your extraordinary things are bullsh!t too, and then you get super cocky in talking down and condescending to theists while the rest of us laugh at you for your hypocrisy that you refuse to accept lol.
President of DDO
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 2:41:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The criticism against religion are not the same criticisms against conspiracies. The supporting arguments for religion are not the same supporting arguments for conspiriacies.

As Kinesis said earlier, people think it's hypocritical to reject certain beliefs because their absurd and then accept a different set of absurd beliefs; but the problem is on their behalf because they don't understand how the claims are different and how some or more valid than others.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 2:44:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/30/2010 2:30:43 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
You guys are using the same criticism creationists used against Dawkins. "you believe in little green men but criticize belief in God?! OMG"

Dawkins mocks the idea that we were created, unless you qualifier the creator as an alien. It is an intellectually bankrupt position.

I think we were created by A = You are deluded.
I think we were created by B = Yes what a rational opinion.

Yet neither A or B is defined. It is a failure of logic, one I have not made since I was 15.

There's evidence for aliens, there's evidence for conspiracies, and whole onslaught of evidence against God and religion. That's not hypocritical, that's just recognizing that some extraordinary things are true and some extraordinary things are false. Simple as that.

Your standard of evidence is very, very low for the things you want to believe in. In one argument you insisted a man was some sort of high level wizard because he had royal italian blood and some nice robes. You are intelligent, but you are not able to engage in critical thinking in certain areas.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 2:46:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Any time you make a claim you're expected to support it, amirite? We've asked you to prove in any way that there are Reptilian creatures or whatever. I g2g now, but I think it was back in March where you created a thread with a bunch of links as "evidence" to this assertion. Every single one of those links was complete BS. I remember commenting on why back in that thread, but I don't have time go to look for it now.

Anyway if you find it, you'll see some of the criticisms people have had in your presented defense or so-called proof. Anything you submitted in defense of your claims has a religious counterpart for proof. You've got testimonies of lizards? There are innumerable testimonies for Jesus. Etc. I think you, Geo, are exceptionally bright but your inability to see the hypocrisy in your arguments defending certain things in comparison to your arguments against religion is the answer to your original question. You can try to manipulate it any way you'd like, but simply put you have no proof for many of your claims and yet you attack others for their beliefs which are just as illogical and just as (non) supported or rather non-verifiable.
President of DDO
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 2:57:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/30/2010 2:46:59 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Anyway if you find it, you'll see some of the criticisms people have had in your presented defense or so-called proof.

yeah that was purdy silly stuff from what I remember
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 3:52:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/30/2010 2:30:43 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
You guys are using the same criticism creationists used against Dawkins. "you believe in little green men but criticize belief in God?! OMG"

Aliens are a scientific matter. Not to mention, they are statistically highly likely and pose no logical contradictions.
http://en.wikipedia.org... ???Statistically highly likely???? your talking about the kind of aliens that are evolved enough to travel to earth too right, not just chances of single cell organisms right?

There's evidence for aliens, there's evidence for conspiracies, and whole onslaught of evidence against God and religion. That's not hypocritical, that's just recognizing that some extraordinary things are true and some extraordinary things are false. Simple as that.

you know what else is as simple as that, the same evidence available that I (like you) am all too willing to fall behind in various conspiracy theories or belief in aliens is the same evidence for Jesus rising from the dead. good old eye witness accounts. It is also sufficient enough for me to believe in Bigfoot as well. the evidence is of the exact same nature & equally reliable.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 3:57:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/30/2010 2:04:37 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I have heard at least 3 or 4 members here say I am hypocritical, but don't really explain how (they try, but aren't specific).

I would like to know.
I think that you should understand that your beliefs are at least just as absurd - looking from your perspective - as all others. At least, but I would say more. Saying that some green being rule the world but laughing at belief in God, which logically speaking makes sense, it just absurd.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 4:00:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/30/2010 2:10:03 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I've told you: It's something along the lines of you not realizing that the same criticisms you have of religion being just as applicable to the ridiculous conspiracy theories you've cited or maintained... including bad reasoning, lack of substantial proof, misinterpretation, unreliable testimonials, etc.:

*Ding, ding, ding* We have a winner!!!
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 4:15:52 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Aliens are a scientific matter. Not to mention, they are statistically highly likely and pose no logical contradictions. The same can't be said for God.:

Based on what, exactly? You don't even have a starting point with which to measure any of it.

The problem is, people don't understand that the nature of the claims are different and then lazily group them all together as "absurd.":

It's not so much absurd as it is without a foundation. You will find a common thread of interest among the conspiracy theorists and people of the alien and supernatural persuasion. One thing irrevocably united them.

It's a matter of a bad case confirmation bias -- with the same hallmark characteristics associated with many religious folk. Deep down they want to believe in these things, because it's so tantalizing to think of its possibilities. So they find justifications for why it should be so, and in doing so, have lost objectivity.

I don't necessarily disbelieve in aliens, bigfoot, or ghosts, I just haven't found a legitimate reason TO believe in them. But I am open to suggestions and welcome all forms evidence to persuade me otherwise. You on the other hand not only disbelieve in God, but take it to an absurd extreme, where you actually despise something that you claim isn't even there. Does that honestly sound logical to you?

There's evidence for aliens, there's evidence for conspiracies, and whole onslaught of evidence against God and religion.:

Be careful what you consider as "evidence" in either direction.

That's not hypocritical, that's just recognizing that some extraordinary things are true and some extraordinary things are false. Simple as that.:

Look, you can scoff at the bible and masturbate to MonsterQuest for all I care, but if you weren't so stridently against Judeo-Christianity while believing in Reptilians, no one would think twice. That strikes people as very odd, and it shouldn't surprise you that so many people are puzzled by that dichotomy.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 5:37:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/30/2010 5:31:43 PM, Puck wrote:
Exhibit A.

http://www.debate.org...

And? Since when is compiling evidence comparable to faith?

I would be hypocritical if I exchanged one faith for another, but that's not the case. Conspiracies are based on evidence, religion is based on faith. Nobody has "faith" in a conspiracy nor would they wish it to be true. Conspiracy theories are always based on and derived from facts.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 5:46:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Please indicate where I just made any sort of argument. :P People were referencing the thread I linked, so I provided it.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2010 6:03:08 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/30/2010 5:37:17 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
And? Since when is compiling evidence comparable to faith?

You have faith that GOD-AWFUL "evidence" is legit.

Here's one example of many from Geo's list. It's a blog in which people write things such as, "I have been a victim of alien (demons?) abduction since 1992. I would describe my attackers as being humanoid in appearance, but at the same time having reptilian characteristics, tall, very dark, almost black and very evil looking."

http://ufoexperiences.blogspot.com...

How is that ANY DIFFERENT then someone saying, "I have been friends with Jesus since 1992. I would describe my Messiah as being humanoid in appearance, but at the same time having godly characteristics: omniscient, loving..."

I would be hypocritical if I exchanged one faith for another, but that's not the case. Conspiracies are based on evidence, religion is based on faith. Nobody has "faith" in a conspiracy nor would they wish it to be true.

First, there is evidence for faith. I pointed out that many theist philosophers have legitimate arguments. Second, I pointed out that many types of faith exist. Third, any sightings of irrecognizable things and declaring it must be alien is no different then people attributing alleged miracles to god. You indeed have faith in conspiracies because you believe them, you don't know them.

Conspiracy theories are always based on and derived from facts.

Manipulated facts. Exaggerated facts. Misrepresented facts. Opinions on facts, i.e. "An alien did it." Also many of these "facts" are nothing more than testimonials with NO EVIDENCE. Here's another example from your great list of factual proof:

"She has a very interesting story as to why she's written this book. It's information that was given to her by the Elohim aliens that we've all heard about. She's been trained for as long as she can remember, she's gone on board craft and been trained for the times that are about to hit Planet Earth right now. So she really, really has a story."

http://www.freewebs.com...

Where is the EVIDENCE for ANY of this, Geo?! It's honestly hilarious how blinded you are to this hypocrisy. Once again this is no different than someone writing a book about their experiences with god and you calling it fact. God must exist because she said so, amirite?
President of DDO