Jump to topic:

A Video That Changed My Life

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 12:27:51 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I find the idea of using technology a lot (as I do) being bad to be utter bullsh!t.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 12:29:15 AM
You can't tell me what to do.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 12:46:26 AM
At 8/22/2015 12:29:15 AM, OberHerr wrote:

Beautiful piece of art, truly remarkable, yet 0 relation to video.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 12:49:08 AM
At 8/22/2015 12:46:26 AM, Hayd wrote:

Look at the titles.

Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 12:49:50 AM
At 8/22/2015 12:49:08 AM, OberHerr wrote:

Look at the titles.

Yes the Song is "look down" yet they are talking about a completely different topic.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 12:50:44 AM
At 8/22/2015 12:49:50 AM, Hayd wrote:

Look at the titles.

Yes the Song is "look down" yet they are talking about a completely different topic.

-_-

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 12:51:43 AM
Anyways, I'm sure Sadolite will pop in here and say something along the lines of "get off my lawn" and disparaging today's youth.

Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 12:51:59 AM
At 8/22/2015 12:50:44 AM, OberHerr wrote:
At 8/22/2015 12:49:50 AM, Hayd wrote:

Look at the titles.

-_-

)
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 3:35:15 AM
At 8/22/2015 12:22:29 AM, Hayd wrote:

This is a very common theme in human society.

"Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual changes; it is barbarous, it is civilized, it is christianized, it is rich, it is scientific; but this change is not amelioration. For every thing that is given, something is taken. Society acquires new arts, and loses old instincts. What a contrast between the well-clad, reading, writing, thinking American, with a watch, a pencil, and a bill of exchange in his pocket, and the naked New Zealander, whose property is a club, a spear, a mat, and an undivided twentieth of a shed to sleep under! But compare the health of the two men, and you shall see that the white man has lost his aboriginal strength. If the traveller tell us truly, strike the savage with a broad axe, and in a day or two the flesh shall unite and heal as if you struck the blow into soft pitch, and the same blow shall send the white to his grave.

The civilized man has built a coach, but has lost the use of his feet. He is supported on crutches, but lacks so much support of muscle. He has a fine Geneva watch, but he fails of the skill to tell the hour by the sun. A Greenwich nautical almanac he has, and so being sure of the information when he wants it, the man in the street does not know a star in the sky. The solstice he does not observe; the equinox he knows as little; and the whole bright calendar of the year is without a dial in his mind. His note-books impair his memory; his libraries overload his wit; the insurance-office increases the number of accidents; and it may be a question whether machinery does not encumber; whether we have not lost by refinement some energy, by a Christianity entrenched in establishments and forms, some vigor of wild virtue..."

Society is a wave. The wave moves onward, but the water of which it is composed does not. The same particle does not rise from the valley to the ridge. Its unity is only phenomenal. The persons who make up a nation to-day, next year die, and their experience with them."
- Self-Reliance, Ralph Waldo Emerson -
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 3:35:47 AM
The irony is that this conversation or taking place on the internet.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 4:05:12 AM
At 8/22/2015 12:27:51 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I find the idea of using technology a lot (as I do) being bad to be utter bullsh!t.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 5:01:15 AM

It is bad, and I am guilty of it.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 4:56:09 PM
It all seems like slippery slopes. Like the idea that because the guy didn't look at his phone he met the love of his life. I can easily formulate a situation where because a guy didn't ignore someone, he ended up brutally murdered.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 7:29:58 PM

My own experience is that social media and technology had drawn me away from my family. I mean, I was secluded in my room allot of nights talking to "friends" and being anti-social. Not just with my family, but my friends as well. It can ruin relationships.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 12:14:38 AM
At 8/22/2015 12:22:29 AM, Hayd wrote:

To be honest, I believe technology is neutral. There's many many good things that can come from it, as well as many bad.

However, I think the video does make an elegant point that many people abuse technology and it takes the place of real-world interactions.

Technology is just a mirror. It's a reflection of us. We must use it, like anything else, in moderation.

Throwback to Aristotle... Golden triangle. Too much technology is bad, but too little technology is also bad. We can't be glued to our phones 24/7 but we can't be Amish. Once again, virtue lies between two diametrically opposed vices.

In conclusion, I think that people do tend to use technology too frequently. However, that doesn't mean technology is bad or that it shouldn't ever be used. Just that it shouldn't be used to excess.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."