Jump to topic:

A second percentile

Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 8:32:50 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I have lost close to half my debates and yet my percentile ranking is right now 98. I realize the percentile will largely go up even if you lose all your debates but the fact that you debate multiple times sends it up. With 20,000 some members and only 10,000 some total debates over half the members must have not debated. most of the registered DDO members only registered for one debate and have never been heard of after it. you can debate once lose and still have the math put you at 52 percentile ranking.

but I don't really care how I rank next to people that don't debate but simply have an account. I think their should be a second percentile calculation that excludes those who have yet to debate much on this sight. One that takes in the actives members. probably just active of that year, and it can be renewed each year, so as to not reflect members who debated but essentially left the sight forever cause they've been banned or got bored with it or found they did not like the hostile environment of a sight full of arguing people.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 9:13:40 AM
Does it really matter though, does anyone pay attention to it. The fact you have lost about half your debates suggests you are willing to debate awkward positions, not just those that will likely end in victory.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 11:29:50 AM
At 9/4/2010 10:56:16 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Percentile is directly proportionate to your no. of wins.

yet this guy who has ten debates and 0% win ratio is calculated to rank 52.64% among all the members of DDO. More than fifty should mean better than more than half.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 11:30:15 AM
At 9/5/2010 11:29:50 AM, Marauder wrote:

yet this guy who has ten debates and 0% win ratio is calculated to rank 52.64% among all the members of DDO. More than fifty should mean better than more than half.

forgot to paste the link; fixed
http://www.debate.org...

A Scout is Obedient.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 11:30:21 AM

Link meh to his account.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 11:38:28 AM
At 9/4/2010 9:13:40 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Does it really matter though, does anyone pay attention to it. The fact you have lost about half your debates suggests you are willing to debate awkward positions, not just those that will likely end in victory.

Well, I guess that's true. But still I'd like a way to gauge my growth in debate skill. For example in a martial art tournament one year Krillen finishes 5th out of all the fighters but the next year he finishes 3 among the same fighters then he would know he has grown right, gotten better.
But on this sight your ranking will increase simply if 50 more people join and dont debate. or debate once. If you dont debate for a few months and watch your percentile you should notice it go up some.

How else is one to gauge growth?

A Scout is Obedient.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 12:37:54 AM

Percentile ranks don't scale like that. Percentile ranking takes into account everyone who is equal to your score, not just who you are better than. A more accurate way of looking at it is that, 47% of users perform better than he does - since percentile ranks don't deal with 0s well or scale linearly (especially here since the calculation is a derivation of a standard percentile rank calculation, which fudges it a bit).