Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Which type of formal debate do you prefer?

ColeTrain
Posts: 4,290
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2015 7:59:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Lincoln-Douglas, Public Forum, or Policy?
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
whiteflame
Posts: 1,378
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2015 8:34:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/27/2015 7:59:19 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Lincoln-Douglas, Public Forum, or Policy?

Not really fond of any of them, to be honest. I always found LD and Policy to be stifling, there really wasn't a whole lot of room to argue outside the box (i.e. outside values and policy debate, respectively). Policy, in particular, has always been off-putting to me because of the all too common Gish Gallop, technicalities and speed talking that accompany it. Public Forum never really appealed to me because the speaking times always seemed wonky and the tournaments I saw were never that competitive. All three of them give you the topic far ahead of time, and that's also something I'm not into, save with online debate.

Personally, I prefer British Parliamentary. Get the topic, get 20 minutes, and go. Everyone has 7 minute speech times, and it's not highly technical, meaning it's easily accessible. It also focuses heavily on speaking well as opposed to just having the best arguments.
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,290
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 1:27:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Not really fond of any of them, to be honest. I always found LD and Policy to be stifling, there really wasn't a whole lot of room to argue outside the box (i.e. outside values and policy debate, respectively). Policy, in particular, has always been off-putting to me because of the all too common Gish Gallop, technicalities and speed talking that accompany it. Public Forum never really appealed to me because the speaking times always seemed wonky and the tournaments I saw were never that competitive. All three of them give you the topic far ahead of time, and that's also something I'm not into, save with online debate.

Personally, I prefer British Parliamentary. Get the topic, get 20 minutes, and go. Everyone has 7 minute speech times, and it's not highly technical, meaning it's easily accessible. It also focuses heavily on speaking well as opposed to just having the best arguments.

Cool! Yeah, I too have a problem with stifling (some people argue nothing but values. So annoying), but LD topics have been my favorites. Especially the on regarding the living wage in Jan.-Feb. As for Parley, I've not had much experience with it, but what I've had has been pleasant. :)
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 1:49:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/27/2015 7:59:19 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Lincoln-Douglas, Public Forum, or Policy?

LD all the way.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 2:01:57 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Public Forum--I wish it had longer speaking times, but I hate spreading (except to troll in PF a few times, then it was fun) and I hate the fact that to the uninitiated policy "debate" makes no sense whatsoever. I'm firmly with Bluesteel on this issue when he said that if you can't explain your argument to the average person, you're doing it wrong. Policy debate kind of reminds me of how modern philosophers, to conceal the fact that they have no real ideas, just coat their BS in a lot of jargon so it makes no sense but sounds smart. It's a shame because it's an event with an amazing history and I like the idea of a topic that is unchanged over the year so it evolves. I have a higher opinion of LD (although it got very policy like in my district) but I'm just not that into moral debates. Can't stand them actually--on this site I literally lost a debate because I chose to just ignore my opponents moral argument since I just did not want to address it lol

That said I haven't been in a formal debate round in like two and a half years...wish my college had debate :(
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 2:03:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/28/2015 2:01:57 AM, thett3 wrote:
Public Forum--I wish it had longer speaking times, but I hate spreading (except to troll in PF a few times, then it was fun) and I hate the fact that to the uninitiated policy "debate" makes no sense whatsoever. I'm firmly with Bluesteel on this issue when he said that if you can't explain your argument to the average person, you're doing it wrong. Policy debate kind of reminds me of how modern philosophers, to conceal the fact that they have no real ideas, just coat their BS in a lot of jargon so it makes no sense but sounds smart. It's a shame because it's an event with an amazing history and I like the idea of a topic that is unchanged over the year so it evolves. I have a higher opinion of LD (although it got very policy like in my district) but I'm just not that into moral debates. Can't stand them actually--on this site I literally lost a debate because I chose to just ignore my opponents moral argument since I just did not want to address it lol

That said I haven't been in a formal debate round in like two and a half years...wish my college had debate :(

Also the way a lot of policy debaters use their evidence can often only be described as intellectual dishonesty. Card tag: "Romneys election will lead to certain nuclear war with Russia and humane extinction" Article: "Romney may be a little too harsh on Russia"
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,290
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 2:04:47 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/28/2015 1:49:25 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 8/27/2015 7:59:19 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Lincoln-Douglas, Public Forum, or Policy?

LD all the way.

^^ I like you. ;P
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,290
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 2:10:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/28/2015 2:03:26 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 8/28/2015 2:01:57 AM, thett3 wrote:
Public Forum--I wish it had longer speaking times, but I hate spreading (except to troll in PF a few times, then it was fun) and I hate the fact that to the uninitiated policy "debate" makes no sense whatsoever. I'm firmly with Bluesteel on this issue when he said that if you can't explain your argument to the average person, you're doing it wrong. Policy debate kind of reminds me of how modern philosophers, to conceal the fact that they have no real ideas, just coat their BS in a lot of jargon so it makes no sense but sounds smart. It's a shame because it's an event with an amazing history and I like the idea of a topic that is unchanged over the year so it evolves. I have a higher opinion of LD (although it got very policy like in my district) but I'm just not that into moral debates. Can't stand them actually--on this site I literally lost a debate because I chose to just ignore my opponents moral argument since I just did not want to address it lol

That said I haven't been in a formal debate round in like two and a half years...wish my college had debate :(

Also the way a lot of policy debaters use their evidence can often only be described as intellectual dishonesty. Card tag: "Romneys election will lead to certain nuclear war with Russia and humane extinction" Article: "Romney may be a little too harsh on Russia"

Yeah, I like Puff topics pretty well also, but speaking times are killer. And with LD, I like being able to use moral arguments, so then it's not just policy where "my evidence says this, so you're wrong" even if you have contradicting evidence from a better source. And yeah, I've observed policy rounds as well, and the evidence tags are pretty "out there."
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 2:13:57 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/28/2015 2:10:07 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 8/28/2015 2:03:26 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 8/28/2015 2:01:57 AM, thett3 wrote:
Public Forum--I wish it had longer speaking times, but I hate spreading (except to troll in PF a few times, then it was fun) and I hate the fact that to the uninitiated policy "debate" makes no sense whatsoever. I'm firmly with Bluesteel on this issue when he said that if you can't explain your argument to the average person, you're doing it wrong. Policy debate kind of reminds me of how modern philosophers, to conceal the fact that they have no real ideas, just coat their BS in a lot of jargon so it makes no sense but sounds smart. It's a shame because it's an event with an amazing history and I like the idea of a topic that is unchanged over the year so it evolves. I have a higher opinion of LD (although it got very policy like in my district) but I'm just not that into moral debates. Can't stand them actually--on this site I literally lost a debate because I chose to just ignore my opponents moral argument since I just did not want to address it lol

That said I haven't been in a formal debate round in like two and a half years...wish my college had debate :(

Also the way a lot of policy debaters use their evidence can often only be described as intellectual dishonesty. Card tag: "Romneys election will lead to certain nuclear war with Russia and humane extinction" Article: "Romney may be a little too harsh on Russia"

Yeah, I like Puff topics pretty well also, but speaking times are killer. And with LD, I like being able to use moral arguments, so then it's not just policy where "my evidence says this, so you're wrong" even if you have contradicting evidence from a better source. And yeah, I've observed policy rounds as well, and the evidence tags are pretty "out there."

That does have its appeal, though. I remember one time to troll my partner and I made a policy case--spreading, extinction impacts and all--and ran it in PF. Everyone hated us. You could see the rage building in their faces as I read card after card, ridiculous impact after ridiculous impact as they thought "I didn't join PF for this sh1t". Every time our opponents said "screw this", gave us the finger, gave it to the judge too for good measure, walked out and quit debate and anything intellectual forever. Most of them ended up dropping out. I felt good about myself.

At least that's how I choose to remember it
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 2:14:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/28/2015 2:04:47 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 8/28/2015 1:49:25 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 8/27/2015 7:59:19 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Lincoln-Douglas, Public Forum, or Policy?

LD all the way.

^^ I like you. ;P

Lol...thanks :)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,290
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 2:18:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/28/2015 2:13:57 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 8/28/2015 2:10:07 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 8/28/2015 2:03:26 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 8/28/2015 2:01:57 AM, thett3 wrote:
Public Forum--I wish it had longer speaking times, but I hate spreading (except to troll in PF a few times, then it was fun) and I hate the fact that to the uninitiated policy "debate" makes no sense whatsoever. I'm firmly with Bluesteel on this issue when he said that if you can't explain your argument to the average person, you're doing it wrong. Policy debate kind of reminds me of how modern philosophers, to conceal the fact that they have no real ideas, just coat their BS in a lot of jargon so it makes no sense but sounds smart. It's a shame because it's an event with an amazing history and I like the idea of a topic that is unchanged over the year so it evolves. I have a higher opinion of LD (although it got very policy like in my district) but I'm just not that into moral debates. Can't stand them actually--on this site I literally lost a debate because I chose to just ignore my opponents moral argument since I just did not want to address it lol

That said I haven't been in a formal debate round in like two and a half years...wish my college had debate :(

Also the way a lot of policy debaters use their evidence can often only be described as intellectual dishonesty. Card tag: "Romneys election will lead to certain nuclear war with Russia and humane extinction" Article: "Romney may be a little too harsh on Russia"

Yeah, I like Puff topics pretty well also, but speaking times are killer. And with LD, I like being able to use moral arguments, so then it's not just policy where "my evidence says this, so you're wrong" even if you have contradicting evidence from a better source. And yeah, I've observed policy rounds as well, and the evidence tags are pretty "out there."

That does have its appeal, though. I remember one time to troll my partner and I made a policy case--spreading, extinction impacts and all--and ran it in PF. Everyone hated us. You could see the rage building in their faces as I read card after card, ridiculous impact after ridiculous impact as they thought "I didn't join PF for this sh1t". Every time our opponents said "screw this", gave us the finger, gave it to the judge too for good measure, walked out and quit debate and anything intellectual forever. Most of them ended up dropping out. I felt good about myself.

At least that's how I choose to remember it

...Lol... Well, I tend to spam stats and pretty much spread in LD, but my coach didn't like it. I just had too much I wanted to say and show how WRONG my opponent was. oh well. :P
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,290
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 2:19:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/28/2015 2:14:52 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 8/28/2015 2:04:47 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 8/28/2015 1:49:25 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 8/27/2015 7:59:19 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Lincoln-Douglas, Public Forum, or Policy?

LD all the way.

^^ I like you. ;P

Lol...thanks :)

Welcome. Did you do LD in HS?
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,804
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 2:29:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/27/2015 7:59:19 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Lincoln-Douglas, Public Forum, or Policy?

The one where after their argument they start bad-mouthing each other, rip off their shirts, and beat the living crap out of each other.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,290
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 2:41:02 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/28/2015 2:29:54 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/27/2015 7:59:19 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Lincoln-Douglas, Public Forum, or Policy?

The one where after their argument they start bad-mouthing each other, rip off their shirts, and beat the living crap out of each other.

Oh, didn't know you were a fan of policy.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
Posts: 223
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 3:23:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Damn, everyone here is trashing policy debate.

As a policy debater, I understand the frustration, policy debaters can run ridiculous arguments like, how setting up wind farms inevitably causes economic collapse and global extinction and is obviously just a tool to uphold the male patriarchy and suppress the womanz'....but its also really fun because you get to call those people out for being complete idiots, and then laugh at them for being dumb...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 3:51:19 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/28/2015 2:19:04 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 8/28/2015 2:14:52 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 8/28/2015 2:04:47 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 8/28/2015 1:49:25 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 8/27/2015 7:59:19 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Lincoln-Douglas, Public Forum, or Policy?

LD all the way.

^^ I like you. ;P

Lol...thanks :)

Welcome. Did you do LD in HS?

Yeah, I did.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
mishapqueen
Posts: 3,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 2:04:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/27/2015 7:59:19 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Lincoln-Douglas, Public Forum, or Policy?

I'm heavily into Team Policy
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
tejretics
Posts: 6,080
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 4:36:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/28/2015 2:04:56 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 8/27/2015 7:59:19 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Lincoln-Douglas, Public Forum, or Policy?

I'm heavily into Team Policy

I don't like team policy because of spreading :P That's why I do team British parliamentary style.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
mishapqueen
Posts: 3,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 4:50:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/28/2015 4:36:33 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 8/28/2015 2:04:56 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 8/27/2015 7:59:19 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Lincoln-Douglas, Public Forum, or Policy?

I'm heavily into Team Policy

I don't like team policy because of spreading :P That's why I do team British parliamentary style.

My league doesn't spread very often and doesn't offer parliamentary :P
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam