Jump to topic:

***Official DDO Bi-Weekly Topics: SIGN UPS***

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 12:36:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Please sign up here, if you are interested in contributing OPs for the Official DDO Bi-Weekly Topics in different forum sections! Essentially, you would write an OP in a thread titled "BI-WEEKLY TOPICS: {insert topic name}", with the topic of your choice [as long as it's not offensive, troll-ish, et cetera]. Contribution is allowed for all forums except the DDO, Miscellaneous, Personal, Games, and Funny forums.

This is the sign ups for the Third Session. Only one sign up from each topic is allowed. The topics are in order--you can sign up for any topic of your choice, only put the topic in brackets, as well as the forum you'll write them in in parentheses. Therefore, please specify (1) the topic [or TBD, if you so wish], and (2) the forum in which they'll be written.

1. (Arts)
2. (Education)
3. (Entertainment)
4. (Health)
5. (News)
6. (Politics)
7. (Economics)
8. (Science)
9. (Religion)
10. (Philosophy)
11. (Society)
12. (Sports)
13. (Technology)
14. (History)

Please sign up. OPs should be written by 2nd September (Wednesday), and please send me a PM when you've finished writing it. After that, you can create a thread titled "BI-WEEKLY TOPICS: [insert title for OP]".
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 1:05:25 PM
At 8/29/2015 12:36:39 PM, tejretics wrote:
Please sign up here, if you are interested in contributing OPs for the Official DDO Bi-Weekly Topics in different forum sections! Essentially, you would write an OP in a thread titled "BI-WEEKLY TOPICS: {insert topic name}", with the topic of your choice [as long as it's not offensive, troll-ish, et cetera]. Contribution is allowed for all forums except the DDO, Miscellaneous, Personal, Games, and Funny forums.

This is the sign ups for the Third Session. Only one sign up from each topic is allowed. The topics are in order--you can sign up for any topic of your choice, only put the topic in brackets, as well as the forum you'll write them in in parentheses. Therefore, please specify (1) the topic [or TBD, if you so wish], and (2) the forum in which they'll be written.

1. (Arts)
2. (Education)
3. (Entertainment)
4. (Health)
5. (News)
6. (Politics)
7. (Economics)
8. (Science)
9. (Religion)
10. (Philosophy)
11. (Society)
12. (Sports)
13. (Technology)
14. (History)

Please sign up. OPs should be written by 2nd September (Wednesday), and please send me a PM when you've finished writing it. After that, you can create a thread titled "BI-WEEKLY TOPICS: [insert title for OP]".

I would like to see greater discretion involved in how these things are selected. While some of the topics are fine, I've seen some that are just tragically poor.
Tsar of DDO
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 1:08:06 PM
At 8/29/2015 1:05:25 PM, YYW wrote:

1. (Arts)
2. (Education)
3. (Entertainment)
4. (Health)
5. (News)
6. (Politics)
7. (Economics)
8. (Science)
9. (Religion)
10. (Philosophy)
11. (Society)
12. (Sports)
13. (Technology)
14. (History)

I would like to see greater discretion involved in how these things are selected. While some of the topics are fine, I've seen some that are just tragically poor.

The only topics functioning are Diqiucun's about economy, mine about evolution, and Fkkize's about moral realism . . .
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 1:09:22 PM
At 8/29/2015 1:08:06 PM, tejretics wrote:

1. (Arts)
2. (Education)
3. (Entertainment)
4. (Health)
5. (News)
6. (Politics)
7. (Economics)
8. (Science)
9. (Religion)
10. (Philosophy)
11. (Society)
12. (Sports)
13. (Technology)
14. (History)

The only topics functioning are Diqiucun's about economy, mine about evolution, and Fkkize's about moral realism . . .

http://www.debate.org...
Tsar of DDO
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 1:10:49 PM
At 8/29/2015 1:09:22 PM, YYW wrote:

1. (Arts)
2. (Education)
3. (Entertainment)
4. (Health)
5. (News)
6. (Politics)
7. (Economics)
8. (Science)
9. (Religion)
10. (Philosophy)
11. (Society)
12. (Sports)
13. (Technology)
14. (History)

It being stickied =/= it being a Bi-Weekly Topic. As I recall, Debatability was supposed to be writing for the Bi-Weekly Topics for Society, but she hasn't yet . . . I'm fairly sure I didn't pick that.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 1:16:20 PM
At 8/29/2015 1:10:49 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 8/29/2015 1:09:22 PM, YYW wrote:

1. (Arts)
2. (Education)
3. (Entertainment)
4. (Health)
5. (News)
6. (Politics)
7. (Economics)
8. (Science)
9. (Religion)
10. (Philosophy)
11. (Society)
12. (Sports)
13. (Technology)
14. (History)

It being stickied =/= it being a Bi-Weekly Topic. As I recall, Debatability was supposed to be writing for the Bi-Weekly Topics for Society, but she hasn't yet . . . I'm fairly sure I didn't pick that.

Fine.

The stickied topics, or at least those which I've seen (and they change every so often) have been bad.

I've also heard criticism from other members about so-caled "bi-weekly" topics in the Science forum, specifically related to the selection of such topics like evolution.

What you want to do, when you are selecting something to be a bi-weekly topic, is to get the kind of topic that is going to get the most community involvement. So, it's got to be a relevant topic (read: not one that has been beat to death by other threads), something that's interesting (read: not one that is so esoteric that no one cares), and something that people are going to be generally familiar with so that they *can* contribute.

That's a hard standard to meet, but it's necessary to have this thing be a success. I'm serious about greater discretion, though. I'm also skeptical that picking a topic and then running with it is the way to go. A better thing to do might be to do what Bsh1 does with his presidential updates, where he choses threads that have produced vibrant input, and highlights them for others to contribute.
Tsar of DDO
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 4:59:38 PM

1. (Arts)
2. (Education)
3. (Entertainment)
4. (Health)
5. (News)
6. (Politics)
7. (Economics)
8. (Science)
9. (Religion)
10. (Philosophy)
11. (Society)
12. (Sports)
13. (Technology)
14. (History)

YOUR topic about evolution in the Science forum is functioning? LOL. Yes, just like all the other evolution threads in the Science forum are functioning, but only if it's in a mental institution. You created it because you wanted to argue with someone (your words) but then abandoned it shortly after that, and now it lays waste with creationist insanity along with all the other evolution threads there.

You haven't got a clue, dude.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 5:59:19 PM
14. (History) TheProphett

That is the forum section I would like to post in, thanks!
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers

Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 6:24:20 PM

1. (Arts)
2. (Education)
3. (Entertainment)
4. (Health)
5. (News)
6. (Politics)
7. (Economics)
8. (Science)
9. (Religion)
10. (Philosophy)
11. (Society)
12. (Sports)
13. (Technology)
14. (History)

I would like to do a bi-weekly topic for the society forum.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 6:37:19 PM
At 8/29/2015 1:16:20 PM, YYW wrote:
The stickied topics, or at least those which I've seen (and they change every so often) have been bad.

Both Max and Tej select topics. Those that Tej selects are official "bi-weekly" topics. I am not sure if Max also stickies topics in addition to those, but I believe he does on occasion.

I've also heard criticism from other members about so-caled "bi-weekly" topics in the Science forum, specifically related to the selection of such topics like evolution.

We have to balance various priorities here. Their are, arguably, 2 goals to the bi-weekly topics. First, to promote and showcase quality discussion. Second, to bring activity to less-traveled forums. Evolution, while not bringing the most quality discussion, is a controversial topic likely to generate activity. No topic is going to per perfect, and no user is going to approve every topic. We can't guarantee complete satisfaction, but we can only say that topics are chosen for a reason, and that if people dislike a topic, they only have to wait 2 weeks for it to change.

I tend to agree that topics need to be relevant, interesting, and easily researchable/well-known. Relevant, insofar as the topic applies to it's forum. Interesting in that it would generate commentary. And well-known so that people can comment. Evolution is a cause celebre for a certain corner of the world. People WANT to talk about it, and it usually generates posts. The reason there are so many topics about it is because people want to discuss it; they wouldn't create those topics if they didn't.

A better thing to do might be to do what Bsh1 does with his presidential updates, where he choses threads that have produced vibrant input, and highlights them for others to contribute.

Tej is free to do either or both.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 6:41:19 PM
At 8/29/2015 4:59:38 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Again, not all topics will appeal to all users. And, after 2 weeks, the topics will change. What is not productive is making personal attacks.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 6:42:03 PM
Frankly, I think this thread should re-focus to the purpose of the OP, and we should stop haranguing Tej for investing his time and effort to benefit the community.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 6:43:30 PM
I'll write something for the economics forum. I'm not sure on what, though I can think of something -- or ad-lib it, as I do with my spur-of-the-moment rants. I wouldn't want to "crowd out" (pun intended) Diqui, who has done an exceptional job on his first topic, or anyone else who wants to contribute. But, if you need another topic in the near future, let me know.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 6:48:29 PM
SIGN-UPS

1. (Arts) -
2. (Education) -
3. (Entertainment) - Bsh1
4. (Health) -
5. (News) -
6. (Politics) -
7. (Economics) - JMK
8. (Science) -
9. (Religion) -
10. (Philosophy) -
11. (Society) - Uther
12. (Sports) -
13. (Technology) -
14. (History) - TheProphett
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 6:56:13 PM
At 8/29/2015 6:37:19 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Both Max and Tej select topics. Those that Tej selects are official "bi-weekly" topics. I am not sure if Max also stickies topics in addition to those, but I believe he does on occasion.

Whomever selects the topics should exercise greater discretion in doing so. That was my point. It is lovely to know that there are possibly two people involved in that process, but the point still remains.

We have to balance various priorities here. Their are, arguably, 2 goals to the bi-weekly topics. First, to promote and showcase quality discussion. Second, to bring activity to less-traveled forums. Evolution, while not bringing the most quality discussion, is a controversial topic likely to generate activity. No topic is going to per perfect, and no user is going to approve every topic. We can't guarantee complete satisfaction, but we can only say that topics are chosen for a reason, and that if people dislike a topic, they only have to wait 2 weeks for it to change.

Lovely. Greater discretion is still advised, for the reasons I've said.

I tend to agree that topics need to be relevant, interesting, and easily researchable/well-known. Relevant, insofar as the topic applies to it's forum. Interesting in that it would generate commentary. And well-known so that people can comment. Evolution is a cause celebre for a certain corner of the world. People WANT to talk about it, and it usually generates posts. The reason there are so many topics about it is because people want to discuss it; they wouldn't create those topics if they didn't.

Sure.
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 7:09:25 PM
At 8/29/2015 6:56:13 PM, YYW wrote:

Whomever selects the topics should exercise greater discretion in doing so. That was my point. It is lovely to know that there are possibly two people involved in that process, but the point still remains.

How many topics have been objectionable to you? So far, people in this thread have talked about just 2 (1 of which seems fine to me), and to me that doesn't seem like a significant complaint.

Frankly, I think that Tej has selected solid topics (per the criteria I mentioned) more often than not. I think we should applaud his efforts, dedication, and willingness to take on these responsibilities.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 7:14:33 PM
At 8/29/2015 7:09:25 PM, bsh1 wrote:

How many topics have been objectionable to you? So far, people in this thread have talked about just 2 (1 of which seems fine to me), and to me that doesn't seem like a significant complaint.

If you want me to break down each and every thing that Tej has done which I object to, I'm happy to do that. It's my understanding based on your PM's that you'd like for me not to do that, but here you're asking me to itemize my complaints.

The point you're trying to make (implicitly undercut my criticism), though, isn't really an effective method of rebuttal, either. I've voiced my concerns, in a general sense, and my hope is that doing so will be enough to change the behavior I (and others) have been observing.

Beyond that, I'm asking for "greater discretion" meaning that litigating the scope and extent of bad judgment calls I've seen isn't really necessary to do that. The standard I wrote, and which you agreed with, is what I want to see implemented moving forward, because that's how "greater discretion" should be implemented.

Frankly, I think that Tej has selected solid topics (per the criteria I mentioned) more often than not. I think we should applaud his efforts, dedication, and willingness to take on these responsibilities.

You're welcome to your opinion. Others disagree.
Tsar of DDO
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 7:15:31 PM
At 8/29/2015 7:10:58 PM, XLAV wrote:
How the hell did Tej get this power?

DDO's Economics Messiah
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 7:19:37 PM
At 8/29/2015 7:14:33 PM, YYW wrote:

If you want me to break down each and every thing that Tej has done which I object to, I'm happy to do that. It's my understanding based on your PM's that you'd like for me not to do that, but here you're asking me to itemize my complaints.

I think that would be near equivalent to bullying, and that you should try to operate with more tact in your dealings with people. Doing what you're suggesting would be highly inappropriate (as was alluding to the contents of a private and sensitive conversation).

It's kind of sad that you won't even compliment the "effort" Tej put forth, even if you dislike the results.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 7:23:59 PM
At 8/29/2015 7:19:37 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 8/29/2015 7:14:33 PM, YYW wrote:

I think that would be near equivalent to bullying, and that you should try to operate with more tact in your dealings with people. Doing what you're suggesting would be highly inappropriate (as was alluding to the contents of a private and sensitive conversation).

Well, on that point you're going to be wrong, and I'm not suggesting anything. I in fact specifically said that I wouldn't be itemizing my complaints for the reason that I said. So, your comment here really wasn't necessary.

Now, at this point I don't have anything else to say... but if you'd like to continue to discuss this by all means...

It's kind of sad that you won't even compliment the "effort" Tej put forth, even if you dislike the results.

At this point you're just looking for reasons to criticize me, for criticizing him, which is really not a good use of your time.
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 7:34:33 PM
At 8/29/2015 7:23:59 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/29/2015 7:19:37 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Well, on that point you're going to be wrong, and I'm not suggesting anything. I in fact specifically said that I wouldn't be itemizing my complaints for the reason that I said. So, your comment here really wasn't necessary.

Now, at this point I don't have anything else to say... but if you'd like to continue to discuss this by all means...

I think you not talking would be an excellent turn of events. And, I am not wrong--though you're entitled to your opinion on that.

At this point you're just looking for reasons to criticize me, for criticizing him, which is really not a good use of your time.

You criticizing Tej is not a good use of your time either, and frankly, I don't need to look for reasons because they are just everywhere.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 7:37:36 PM
At 8/29/2015 7:34:33 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I think you not talking would be an excellent turn of events. And, I am not wrong--though you're entitled to your opinion on that.

Do you really think that was a productive thing to say?
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 7:40:55 PM
At 8/29/2015 7:37:36 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/29/2015 7:34:33 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Do you really think that was a productive thing to say?

Actually, I think it is precisely the kind of thing you would say to me. But, we can talk about this more via PM. I am finished with the forum conversation.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 2:19:51 AM
At 8/29/2015 6:24:20 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

1. (Arts)
2. (Education)
3. (Entertainment)
4. (Health)
5. (News)
6. (Politics)
7. (Economics)
8. (Science)
9. (Religion)
10. (Philosophy)
11. (Society)
12. (Sports)
13. (Technology)
14. (History)

I would like to do a bi-weekly topic for the society forum.

Sure. Please submit it to me via PM, I will see if it can qualify.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 2:21:36 AM
SIGN-UPS

1. (Arts) -
2. (Education) -
3. (Entertainment) - Bsh1
4. (Health) -
5. (News) -
6. (Politics) - TheProphett
7. (Economics) - JMK
8. (Science) -
9. (Religion) -
10. (Philosophy) -
11. (Society) - Uther
12. (Sports) -
13. (Technology) -
14. (History) - TheProphett
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 3:04:29 AM
At 8/29/2015 6:43:30 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
I'll write something for the economics forum. I'm not sure on what, though I can think of something -- or ad-lib it, as I do with my spur-of-the-moment rants. I wouldn't want to "crowd out" (pun intended) Diqui, who has done an exceptional job on his first topic, or anyone else who wants to contribute. But, if you need another topic in the near future, let me know.

Haha, thanks JMK. Since it's supposed to be a biweekly topic, it will change after two weeks, after which the econ forum will need a new post again. In fact, as it currently stands, my post hasn't generated too much discussion, so a fresh start after the two-week period ends is in order. ;)
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 3:06:15 AM
At 8/30/2015 3:04:29 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 8/29/2015 6:43:30 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

Haha, thanks JMK. Since it's supposed to be a biweekly topic, it will change after two weeks, after which the econ forum will need a new post again. In fact, as it currently stands, my post hasn't generated too much discussion, so a fresh start after the two-week period ends is in order. ;)

Fair enough, though I didn't want to snatch the next topic from you if you were interested, lol. Heck, I should read more Micro...

DDO's Economics Messiah
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 2:42:03 PM
At 8/29/2015 6:41:19 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 8/29/2015 4:59:38 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Again, not all topics will appeal to all users.

True, the topic of evolution doesn't appeal to the reasonable, the scientific or the sane, considering it always gets inundated with creationist insanity. We can see that with the dozens of threads on evolution there. So, it's mind-boggling that Tej would march right into the Science forum declaring his power of authority and putting up yet another evolution thread. Of course, he abandoned it shortly after and now it sits rotting away with creationist mumbo jumbo and an assortment of other nonsensical gibberish.

I can only conclude from Tej' actions his intentions to appeal to creationists in the Science forum. I was under the impression the idea was to appeal to science, not religious fundamentalism.

And, after 2 weeks, the topics will change.

Gosh Gee Willikers, that's just great, you made my day. We only have to wait another week for that evolution thread to become gangrene and putrid.

Did you know the topic before that was "Evidence of God"? You should check that out, a riveting read. Perhaps, the next one can be a Cosmology thread, "Jehovah vs. The Big Bang" or maybe "A 6000 Year Old Universe and What it Means to Godless Scientists". Those should be a really big hit with the fundies.

What is not productive is making personal attacks.

Seriously? That was merely stating a fact. He should be fired immediately and replaced with someone who does have a clue, who knows how to engage forums to make them successful rather than abysmal. Tej is part of the problem, not the solution. If anyone is "not productive", it's him.

If you actually cared about anything around here, you'd start on engaging these forums with some ideas and strategies that work, not pepper these forums with worthless popularity contests and teenage chatter threads.

"Who is the nicest...
"Who is the prettiest...
"Who is the darkest...
"Who is the stupidest...

Those threads should have been closed from the get go with a warning. They do nothing but alienate and degrade other members. They are pure garbage. Don't you get that?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 4:56:12 PM
At 8/30/2015 2:42:03 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

You seem unable to engage in a calm, civil discourse, so I'll just leave it here. Again, personal attacks, insult-laden rants, and hurtful comments do little to persuade anyone of anything except that you ought to take a step back for a moment.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics