Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

Midterm Interview With BSH1

kasmic
Posts: 1,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 8:50:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Kasmic interview with BSH1:

BSH1, when asked why you wanted to be president during your campaign, you responded in part by saying

"The community here has done so much in so many ways for me (and for many users), that I feel the need to give back. It has profoundly touched my life, and that's not something I can ignore. I think that the Presidency is an excellent way in which I can return the favor, in which I can make significant positive contributions to the site."

Now that you have been the President for about six months do you feel you have made significant contributions to the site?


I do think I've made significant contributions to the site, and I am constantly working to return the favor for DDO. I could point to a few accomplishments that I am proud of:

1: A Rejigging of the Tournament System

The tournament system changes were something that had bipartisan support last election cycle. It was clear that tournament fatigue and various other issues were impacting the old system, where regular tournaments were held on a monthly basis. After considering several options, and soliciting community feedback after I was elected, I pushed for a program whereby tournaments are held every three months and where mods are vetted by myself and moderation before they can sign up. This addresses the issues of tournament fatigue and burnout by giving tournaments time to complete and lessening the chances that people will overcommit to too many tournaments. It also promotes quality moderation in the tournaments that are held. Beginners tournaments remain on a monthly basis, however, to give noobs the greatest opportunity to acquire experience.

2: Election Requirement Reform

Election reform was also something I had championed. In fact, I was an early advocate of reform, proposing several reforms (even having a debate on the topic) just after Mikal was elected. I wanted to find a balance between being inclusive to members from all areas on the site (polls, opinions, forums, and debate) and being stringent enough to preclude votes from people unfamiliar with site issues and community affairs. The results of my discussions with Max were fruitful, and my original proposal (http://www.debate.org...) was adopted with just minor changes (http://www.debate.org...) Last election I heard from DDOers who were informed but unable to vote, and I am happy to say that this new system would be far more inclusive of those users, which feels fairer to me.

3: Noob Mentorship

Finally, working with Zaradi on noob mentorship has been a highlight of my tenure thus far. A progress report on that program will be forthcoming shortly, but I can say that it has received attention from many noobs looking to improve their debating skills, and it's an excellent way to integrate them into the community. If any noobs happen to read this and wish to be assigned a mentor, I'd urge them to reach out to Zaradi.

Also, there several programs that are currently in the works which, once completed, I will be very proud of and which I hope will be great additions to the site. Among these efforts are the how-to-debate guide and voting reform. So, I am really hoping to continue giving back in any way I can.

During the campaign perhaps the biggest issue was involvement from Juggle. Have you been able to successfully reach out to Juggle?

While I agree that issues with Juggle are always important campaign issues, site updates were not a focus of our campaign, because we realized the inherent difficulties in try to reach out to them. As yet, we haven't been able to reach out to them, which is why it was good that we had many other programs that we could work on ourselves, like voting reform, tournament reform, etc. We've really devoted ourselves to working on these projects, and we've made quite a bit of progress in all of them, and that's good. Even where Juggle isn't involved, the administration can still make positive contributions to the site and can be a source of leadership. But, despite Juggle's unwillingness to communicate, we continue to try to reach out them in the hopes that they will work with us, because we do want to work with them. But, not being in contact with them is not stopping us from working for DDO and for its users.

Elections are a way off, but many are wondering do you see yourself running for re-election?

It is something I am actively considering. I would want to listen to what the users of DDO want, and to be sure that I have positive contributions to make in a second term, as well as the time to make those contributions. Whatever my choice, I will make it by late October.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 8:59:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/2/2015 8:50:38 PM, kasmic wrote:
Kasmic interview with BSH1:

BSH1, when asked why you wanted to be president during your campaign, you responded in part by saying

"The community here has done so much in so many ways for me (and for many users), that I feel the need to give back. It has profoundly touched my life, and that's not something I can ignore. I think that the Presidency is an excellent way in which I can return the favor, in which I can make significant positive contributions to the site."

Now that you have been the President for about six months do you feel you have made significant contributions to the site?


I do think I've made significant contributions to the site, and I am constantly working to return the favor for DDO. I could point to a few accomplishments that I am proud of:

1: A Rejigging of the Tournament System

The tournament system changes were something that had bipartisan support last election cycle. It was clear that tournament fatigue and various other issues were impacting the old system, where regular tournaments were held on a monthly basis. After considering several options, and soliciting community feedback after I was elected, I pushed for a program whereby tournaments are held every three months and where mods are vetted by myself and moderation before they can sign up. This addresses the issues of tournament fatigue and burnout by giving tournaments time to complete and lessening the chances that people will overcommit to too many tournaments. It also promotes quality moderation in the tournaments that are held. Beginners tournaments remain on a monthly basis, however, to give noobs the greatest opportunity to acquire experience.

2: Election Requirement Reform

Election reform was also something I had championed. In fact, I was an early advocate of reform, proposing several reforms (even having a debate on the topic) just after Mikal was elected. I wanted to find a balance between being inclusive to members from all areas on the site (polls, opinions, forums, and debate) and being stringent enough to preclude votes from people unfamiliar with site issues and community affairs. The results of my discussions with Max were fruitful, and my original proposal (http://www.debate.org...) was adopted with just minor changes (http://www.debate.org...) Last election I heard from DDOers who were informed but unable to vote, and I am happy to say that this new system would be far more inclusive of those users, which feels fairer to me.

3: Noob Mentorship

Finally, working with Zaradi on noob mentorship has been a highlight of my tenure thus far. A progress report on that program will be forthcoming shortly, but I can say that it has received attention from many noobs looking to improve their debating skills, and it's an excellent way to integrate them into the community. If any noobs happen to read this and wish to be assigned a mentor, I'd urge them to reach out to Zaradi.

Also, there several programs that are currently in the works which, once completed, I will be very proud of and which I hope will be great additions to the site. Among these efforts are the how-to-debate guide and voting reform. So, I am really hoping to continue giving back in any way I can.

During the campaign perhaps the biggest issue was involvement from Juggle. Have you been able to successfully reach out to Juggle?

While I agree that issues with Juggle are always important campaign issues, site updates were not a focus of our campaign, because we realized the inherent difficulties in try to reach out to them. As yet, we haven't been able to reach out to them, which is why it was good that we had many other programs that we could work on ourselves, like voting reform, tournament reform, etc. We've really devoted ourselves to working on these projects, and we've made quite a bit of progress in all of them, and that's good. Even where Juggle isn't involved, the administration can still make positive contributions to the site and can be a source of leadership. But, despite Juggle's unwillingness to communicate, we continue to try to reach out them in the hopes that they will work with us, because we do want to work with them. But, not being in contact with them is not stopping us from working for DDO and for its users.

Elections are a way off, but many are wondering do you see yourself running for re-election?

It is something I am actively considering. I would want to listen to what the users of DDO want, and to be sure that I have positive contributions to make in a second term, as well as the time to make those contributions. Whatever my choice, I will make it by late October.

Good job! :)

Quick question, who was the first president of DDO, and when was it started?
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 9:08:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/2/2015 8:59:30 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

Quick question, who was the first president of DDO, and when was it started?

http://ddo.wikia.com...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 9:10:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/2/2015 9:08:59 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/2/2015 8:59:30 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

Quick question, who was the first president of DDO, and when was it started?

http://ddo.wikia.com...

Thanks!
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,367
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 9:15:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Question:

Though you've achieved all you have so far, it's midterm and DDO still has not been presented with a shirtless Matt.
What have you to say of your failure?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 9:22:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/2/2015 9:15:26 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Question:

Though you've achieved all you have so far, it's midterm and DDO still has not been presented with a shirtless Matt.
What have you to say of your failure?

Obviously, I regard this as my biggest failure. DDO will always be a darker place without a shirtless Matt. But, I vow not to give up the fight, and to pursue this cause to bring peace and justice to the galaxy and to DDO.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
kasmic
Posts: 1,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 9:23:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/2/2015 9:15:26 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Question:

Though you've achieved all you have so far, it's midterm and DDO still has not been presented with a shirtless Matt.
What have you to say of your failure?

This is just hearsay, but I have heard it speculated that they are saving that until re-election as a way to ensure votes.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 9:26:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/2/2015 9:23:25 PM, kasmic wrote:
At 9/2/2015 9:15:26 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Question:

Though you've achieved all you have so far, it's midterm and DDO still has not been presented with a shirtless Matt.
What have you to say of your failure?

This is just hearsay, but I have heard it speculated that they are saving that until re-election as a way to ensure votes.

LMFAO....Vicious rumors! We would never coerce DDO over something so important ;P
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...