Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

What is the "burden of proof"?

wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 3:16:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
All statements require proof. Denial of a statement does not require proof.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 3:17:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/5/2010 3:16:30 PM, wjmelements wrote:
All statements require proof. Denial of a statement does not require proof.

Prove it.
kfc
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 3:24:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/5/2010 3:12:21 PM, iKaleb wrote:
So, if I claimed 2+2=4, I would have the burden of proof?

No, that's a complete "argument". (Koopin stop torlling)

We had a can really good DDOfans page on this by Rezz, Wjm and Mongoose.

--

A burden of proof is tied to conclusions<C>, you must provide reasons<R> to what you say. Also, the one who is making a claim has the BoP otherwise it's a argument from ignorance. A conclution or point, requires a reason regardless if it's true or not to pass the BoP.

Full argument examples.
War is bad<C1> because people die<R1> and people are hurt<R2>.

God exists<C1> because everything needs a cause<R1>.

<CI> because <R1> and <R1>

<C1> therefore <R1>

The "<C1> and <R1>" thing is from Critical Thinking by Alec Fisher(Cambridge University press), a really crap introductionary book to critical thinking.

Hope this helps.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
iKaleb
Posts: 14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 3:36:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/5/2010 3:24:56 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 9/5/2010 3:12:21 PM, iKaleb wrote:
So, if I claimed 2+2=4, I would have the burden of proof?

No, that's a complete "argument". (Koopin stop torlling)

We had a can really good DDOfans page on this by Rezz, Wjm and Mongoose.

--

A burden of proof is tied to conclusions<C>, you must provide reasons<R> to what you say. Also, the one who is making a claim has the BoP otherwise it's a argument from ignorance. A conclution or point, requires a reason regardless if it's true or not to pass the BoP.

Full argument examples.
War is bad<C1> because people die<R1> and people are hurt<R2>.

God exists<C1> because everything needs a cause<R1>.

<CI> because <R1> and <R1>

<C1> therefore <R1>


The "<C1> and <R1>" thing is from Critical Thinking by Alec Fisher(Cambridge University press), a really crap introductionary book to critical thinking.



Hope this helps.

Thanks.
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2010 7:22:45 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
http://en.wikipedia.org...
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2010 7:36:57 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/5/2010 3:16:30 PM, wjmelements wrote:
All statements require proof. Denial of a statement does not require proof.

That's completely wrong.

Weren't you the one who tried to give a "logic lesson" recently?
President of DDO