Midterm Survey Results

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 7:17:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Aloha, DDO!

My midterm will be on Sept. 14th, and I wanted to see what DDO's priorities and concerns were, as a way for me to see where I should take the rest of my term. Feedback is always useful to me in helping me decide what policies to pursue and what areas to focus on, so I appreciate all those who responded to my PMs! And, outside of this survey, if you have any comments or ideas you want to tell me, I am always available via PM to talk.

To conduct the survey, I wanted as accurate a picture as possible. I therefore randomly selected 65 people from my friends list (at the time I had 2,066 friends, and only asked people who had been active within 7 days) and requested that they take the survey via SurveyMonkey, knowing that many wouldn't respond. More than half did respond, and I am unaware as to which specific users make up the total response pool. So, that means this survey is fairly random and anonymous, and hopefully that also means it's fairly accurate. Portions of the results are listed below; written feedback to the final question will be omitted.

===========================

Question: Please Rank the following Based on their Importance to You (lower numbers = more important):

Results: Ranked in Order from Most to Least important

1. Debate Quantity/Quality
2. Reviving the Forums
3. Reducing Spam
4. Community Building
5. Voting Issues/Reform
6. Bug Fixes
7. Site Updates
8. Programs for New/Inexperienced Users
9. Moderation Issues
10. A Trial System
11. Polls/Opinions Filter
12. Tournaments
13. Necroposting
14. Other
15. Reviving G+ Hangouts

Question: What are your thoughts on the bi-weekly "Presidential Updates?"

Results: See below

1. I have not read any (51.52%)
2. I have read some, and I have a positive opinion of them (39.39%)
3. I have read some, and I have a neutral opinion of them (9.09%)
4. I have read some, and I have a negative opinion of them (0.00%)

Question: Do you think standards for voting on debates should be...

Results: I will display the expanded data and then the condensed data

1. Increased Substantially (5.88%)
2. Increased Moderately (17.65%)
3. Increased Slightly (5.88%)
4. Kept about the Same (41.18%)
5. Decreased Slightly (14.71%)
6. Decreased Moderately (2.94%)
7. Decreased Substantially (2.94%)

1. Increased - Overall (29.41%)
2. Kept about the Same - Overall (41.18%)
3. Decreased - Overall (20.59%)

Question: Would you support an option that would allow you to opt-in to higher standards for voting on your debates?

1. Yes (58.82%)
2. Maybe/Unsure (35.29%)
3. No (5.88%)

Question: What are you thoughts on current DDO vote moderation?

Results: I will display the expanded data and then the condensed data

1. Very Positive (11.76%)
2. Moderately Positive (26.47%)
3. Slightly Positive (14.71%)
4. Neutral (17.65%)
5. Slightly Negative (8.82%)
6. Moderately Negative (2.94%)
7. Very Negative (5.88%)
8. No Opinion/Unsure (11.76%)

1. Positive - Overall (52.94%)
2. Neutral and No Opinion/Unsure - Overall (29.41%)
3. Negative - Overall (17.65%)

Question: Which of these community activities would you like to see most on DDO (lower numbers = higher preference):

1. Mafia
2. Other/Custom Game Show
3. DDO Jeopardy!
4. Role-Playing Games (RPG)
5. No Opinion/Unsure
6. Hangouts
7. Fan Fics
8. Fate

Question: Do you have a positive or negative view of the administration's "New Member Mentorship Program" run by Zaradi?

1. Never heard of it (64.71%)
2. Neutral (23.53%)
3. Positive (11.76%)
4. Negative (0.00%)

Question: Do you have a positive or negative view of the administration's tournament reforms?

1. Never heard of it (44.12%)
2. Neutral (32.35%)
3. Positive (20.59%)
4. Negative (2.94%)

I just wanted to quickly explain what I've gleaned from this data, and how I want to put it to use going forward.

Firstly, I realized that there is a need to advertise some of the new initiative more on the site, so that people can avail themselves of these opportunities. In the coming weeks, I will try to promote helpful site features and programs more, in the hopes of raising awareness.

Secondly, I think that, while voting is clearly and important issue on the site, opinion is generally divided. Personally, I agree with the idea that voting moderation should be "increased slightly," but I think the result indicate that most users are content with current moderation, and that those who aren't cannot decide whether to have higher or lower standard, though there is a slight bias towards higher levels. Given this, I think I will not seek to increase mandatory levels of voting moderation, but instead I will continue to work with Airmax on my optional voting standards initiative.

This initiative will address the concerns of those who wanted higher standards without significantly disrupting current moderation. Plus, the vast majority of respondents favored some kind of opt-in system. I have been talking with Airmax about this for some time, and I will make it even more of a priority moving forward

Thirdly, I will try to bring back DDO Jeopardy!--the last one fell apart due to a variety of reasons. I am also willing to help anyone interested in doing any community activity (mafia, fan fictions, etc.) in any way I can.

Fourthly, I want to, in the coming weeks, solicit feedback and generate ideas on how to revive the forums, improve debate quantity and quality, and reach out to new and inexperienced users. Please be on the lookout for posts related to these efforts.

Finally, I just wanted to add that my midterm "Presidential Update" on the 14th will be a special one, so please also keep an eye out for that. Thanks, everyone!

Please comment if you have any thoughts, contributions, concerns, ideas, or queries! Thanks!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 7:44:22 PM
Re: opting in to higher voting standards

The problem is that voting standards *can't* be raised without forcing vote mods to subjectively analyse votes. There are no objective standards for what constitutes a vote that deserves to be removed beyond it being totally incoherent, and current standards already deal with votebombs incredibly well. How can you ever hope to implement judgement calls into moderation without losing strict principles?

Re: tournaments

I've yet to see a convincing argument in favor of "official" tournaments. All they do is artificially limit what people can do because they can't be trusted to organize debates themselves, which is way too much micromanagement than is called for.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz

"No aspect of your facial structure suggests Filipino descent."
~ YYW
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 7:49:36 PM
It's midterm elections and bsh1care still hasn't been passed. How do you respond to the accusations that you were not an american born citizen, but instead from Kenya?
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 7:52:09 PM
At 9/6/2015 7:49:36 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
It's midterm elections and bsh1care still hasn't been passed. How do you respond to the accusations that you were not an american born citizen, but instead from Kenya?

bsh1 HUSSEIN Obama, I think that's a major clue. (sorry, couldn't resist)
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Tough
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 7:53:40 PM
At 9/6/2015 7:52:09 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 9/6/2015 7:49:36 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

bsh1 HUSSEIN Obama, I think that's a major clue. (sorry, couldn't resist)

George YYW bsh
Who is more terrifying; the one who is correct and successfully proves the liar wrong or the liar who successfully proves the correct one wrong?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 8:41:21 PM
At 9/6/2015 7:17:08 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Question: Which of these community activities would you like to see most on DDO (lower numbers = higher preference):

1. Mafia
2. Other/Custom Game Show
3. DDO Jeopardy!
4. Role-Playing Games (RPG)
5. No Opinion/Unsure
6. Hangouts
7. Fan Fics
8. Fate

Well sh**
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 8:44:40 PM
I put no to opting in for higher votinf standards. It seems like overkill, when you can control voting ELO and name judges. It's not a bad thing, just a waste of time in my opinion.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 1:07:04 AM

Ctrl & F "Shirtless"
No results found.
Ctrl & F "Matt"
No results found.

Are you proud of your failure to be a good President?

You just lost my vote.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 12:13:47 PM
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 7:36:46 PM
At 9/7/2015 3:05:35 PM, XLAV wrote:
fix the fvcking front page

^This. I'm tired of looking at crappy debates from 2 months ago everytime I go to the front page.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 4:10:19 PM

I would love to, and I share your exact same frustration. However, making fixes like that requires Juggle's participation. As of right bow, they're eing uncommunicative. I want to work with them, though, and if a dialogue is struck, the front page is at the top of my list.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 4:11:08 PM
At 9/7/2015 7:36:46 PM, lannan13 wrote:

^This. I'm tired of looking at crappy debates from 2 months ago everytime I go to the front page.

See post 13.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 4:16:22 PM
At 9/8/2015 4:10:19 PM, bsh1 wrote:

I would love to, and I share your exact same frustration. However, making fixes like that requires Juggle's participation. As of right bow, they're eing uncommunicative. I want to work with them, though, and if a dialogue is struck, the front page is at the top of my list.

It was fine before.
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 4:42:33 PM
At 9/7/2015 7:36:46 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Well, fortunately, the debates that happen to be on there aren't crappy, but yeah I'm sick of new debates not getting highlighted. If bsh's presidency can get nothing done except fix the front page, it will still have been a success.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 5:44:20 PM
At 9/8/2015 4:16:22 PM, ClashnBoom wrote:

It was fine before.

Before my Presidency? I mean, it is not as of anything I did or asked for caused it, and it was problematic before my election.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 5:46:26 PM
At 9/8/2015 5:44:20 PM, bsh1 wrote:

It was fine before.

Before my Presidency? I mean, it is not as of anything I did or asked for caused it, and it was problematic before my election.

Before the "update"

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 5:47:52 PM
At 9/8/2015 5:46:26 PM, ClashnBoom wrote:

It was fine before.

Before the "update"

Ah. It was actually frozen then too, just with a different set of debates.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 5:49:31 PM
At 9/8/2015 5:47:52 PM, bsh1 wrote:

It was fine before.

Before the "update"

Your doing a good job as president actually.

Really? I thought it became like that after google told them to "update".

Fun fact of the week

Joke of the week:
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 5:49:34 PM

It was fine before.

Before the "update"

DID SOMEONE SAY FROZEN???
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 5:53:16 PM
At 9/8/2015 5:49:34 PM, imabench wrote:
At 9/7/2015 3:05:35 PM, XLAV wrote:that's so la

It was fine before.

Before the "update"

That's so last year.

Fun fact of the week

Joke of the week:
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 5:53:52 PM
At 9/8/2015 5:49:31 PM, ClashnBoom wrote:
Before the "update"

Thank you :) I really would like to correct the bug on the front page. I am not sure how possible that would be though...Regardless, I am trying to do what it is actually in my ability to do for the site.

We may be taking about different updates...lol...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 5:57:41 PM
At 9/8/2015 5:49:34 PM, imabench wrote:

Lol...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 6:31:03 PM
At 9/8/2015 5:53:52 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Before the "update"

Thank you :) I really would like to correct the bug on the front page. I am not sure how possible that would be though...Regardless, I am trying to do what it is actually in my ability to do for the site.
Yes. Bug Max and Juggle till it hurts!!

The first one that killed me for three weeks is what I'm talking about.

Fun fact of the week

Joke of the week:
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 9:12:36 PM
At 9/8/2015 6:31:03 PM, ClashnBoom wrote:
At 9/8/2015 5:53:52 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Yes. Bug Max and Juggle till it hurts!!

Rofl...

The first one that killed me for three weeks is what I'm talking about.

Ah...Okay. You are probably right then. I am thinking of the update to fix the update to fix the update. Lol...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 1:06:40 AM
fun fact:

Should you run again and be reelected, you'll be the first president to serve more than one term since His Majesty Airmax the Auspicious himself.

-TUF (chose not to run again)
-Bladerunner (defeated)
-Mikal (resigned)
-Ore_Ele (resigned)
-Debatability (defeated)
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
roguetech
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 2:55:28 AM
Aloha, DDO!

So, that means this survey is fairly random and anonymous, and hopefully that also means it's fairly accurate. Portions of the results are listed below; written feedback to the final question will be omitted.

You have sample bias by only recruiting existing, long term members. To retain new member, you should poll new members. Despite being pretty ne myself, I get the feeling DDO is not growing substantially and has low retention rates. To put it simply, it's becoming an insider clique site. By only surveying those in the clique, you will keep bleeding users.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 3:11:47 AM
At 9/9/2015 2:55:28 AM, roguetech wrote:
Aloha, DDO!

So, that means this survey is fairly random and anonymous, and hopefully that also means it's fairly accurate. Portions of the results are listed below; written feedback to the final question will be omitted.

You have sample bias by only recruiting existing, long term members.

That didn't actually happen, by the way...
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 3:40:29 AM
At 9/9/2015 1:06:40 AM, thett3 wrote:
fun fact:

Should you run again and be reelected, you'll be the first president to serve more than one term since His Majesty Airmax the Auspicious himself.

-TUF (chose not to run again)
-Bladerunner (defeated)
-Mikal (resigned)
-Ore_Ele (resigned)
-Debatability (died)

Fix'd