Jump to topic:

Vote removal micro-debates

roguetech
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 2:32:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I've had multiple votes removed, and several of them I feel met the standards. It has discouraged me from voting and has caused me to choose to leave the site. This post is not to complain (I may do an "open letter"-style bitch post) but to offer an outside-the-box suggestion to prevent this with other members or potential new members.

When votes are removed and the voter wants to appeal, they can initiate a mini-debate with the mod open for everyone to read. This would be only with explicite challanges to vote removals, only a few rounds with maybe an hour between rounds (but with no forfeiture on the mods' part - I'll address time commitment below). Voting could be win-loose, no explanation required and only by the mods. The last is important - I'm not suggesting members be able to overturn mod actions! Once all mods have voted, that's the appeal outcome.

I'll start with potential problems with the idea" The obvious issue is the time required by the mods. However, I have messaged the mods regarding my removals, and they have been very generous with their time. Therefore, it would not require any MORE time for the specific mod, rather it would move existing debates from personal messages to open debates (I address the advantages below). If anyone abuses the system by appealing clearly bad vote." Mods already provide explanations. They could simply copy-paste that and rest their "case". However, I concede it would require time for other mods to review and vote, but that is the case with any appeal system (e.g. message mods option on reddit).

The second issue is whether the specific mod is available. If the one who removes a vote does not have the opportunity to defend their action, another mod could stand in and do the debate on their behalf.

The third issue is if all mods aren't available to vote. A time limit could be set for voting period (maybe 48 hours), or if the mods know all available mods have voted, they could close it.

Fourth, development time to build the system. Although it may require additional options such as only allowing mods to vote, I suspect they already exist as admin options. I assume mods have the ability to circumvent closed voting. If they don't, this wouldn't be difficult to add. The creation of the debate (i.e. the challange) would be initiated by the person making the appeal. Otherwise, the beautybof the idea is that unlike other sites, the debate process already exists. And yes, I was interpreting why you said what you did about the arguments that should have appeared in the debate. I assumed the best reason: you wanted to provide extra feedback that didn't contribute to your decision. Maybe you weren't motivated by frustration, but that's certainly how it appeared. Now, if you'd rather, I could believe that these problems contributed to your decision since they played such a large role in your RFD, in which case you're inserting bias and outside arguments into your decision.

Now the advantages. First, it would provide a FAQ-like database of "bad" votes, and explanations why they are bad.

Second, it would turn the removal of borderline votes into an advantage for ALL users, as a learning opportunity, rather than just removing an otherwise valuable contribution.

Third, it would provide transpanecy. Again, these debates may already be occurring, but behind the closed door of messages.

Fourth, it would provide consensus among the mods. They may already be on the same page, but it if that's the case, it would make it clear to users. In other words, it would make it clear no mod is "picking" on any user. That's presumably already the case, but perception of fairness can be as important as actual fairness.

Finally, it would allow users to vent and feel they can be heard. Again, this may already be an option, but it would provide the perception of being valued, with perception in this case being possibly MORE important than reality. Yes, sometimes people need to be told "we're listening".
Tough
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 2:56:20 PM
At 9/9/2015 2:32:37 PM, roguetech wrote:

Bro, I've had my privileges removed and had troll votes allowed. Let me give you a tip, I can't call them out but 2 people on this website are currently dominating all vote moderation and both as bad as each other. Make sure to only attempt to vote regularly once their tyrannical reign is quelled and long gone.
Who is more terrifying; the one who is correct and successfully proves the liar wrong or the liar who successfully proves the correct one wrong?
roguetech
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 3:03:40 PM
At 9/9/2015 2:56:20 PM, Tough wrote:

Bro, I've had my privileges removed and had troll votes allowed. Let me give you a tip, I can't call them out but 2 people on this website are currently dominating all vote moderation and both as bad as each other. Make sure to only attempt to vote regularly once their tyrannical reign is quelled and long gone.

If you are referring to who I assume you are referring to, I have had discussions with them. While I personally share some degree of your opinions, I also have ZERO doubts they are doing what they see as best for the site. By providing debates on vote removals, it could become more of a two-way street. It could allow more real dialogue about the voting and vote removal process, rather than (being seen as) a few malcontents "having a tantrum".

However, as I said in the beginning, personally I am leaving. Not due to any ill will, but because crafting a vote that withstands scrutiny is simply too much effort (and I feel participating in debates while expecting votes, but me not voting, is hypocritical). I have better things to do than spend an hour to craft a perfect vote.
roguetech
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 3:21:25 PM
Just noticed I have a huge chunk of mispasted text right in the middle.

>And yes, I was interpreting why you said".

Maybe I should redo this topic. I see no way to edit it.
roguetech
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 3:27:06 PM
At 9/9/2015 3:23:13 PM, Wylted wrote:
Not being a shitty voter, helps the situation a little.

And having constructive feedback - in BOTH directions - can help not being a shitty voter.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 3:29:44 PM
At 9/9/2015 3:27:06 PM, roguetech wrote:
At 9/9/2015 3:23:13 PM, Wylted wrote:
Not being a shitty voter, helps the situation a little.

And having constructive feedback - in BOTH directions - can help not being a shitty voter.

The vote moderators typically give feedback. They seem pretty consistent in their application of vote moderating as well. I doubt any feedback Ingive could be superior to theirs, so I advise you to take their advise seriously.
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 4:01:18 PM

Who? Tell me in my profile or a PM I'm curious.
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 4:05:00 PM
Not another controversy about the voting mods. Bhu did one already. Anyway, as a ddoer whose rights have been taken away once, I can say that the mods are doing a good job. The PMs they send are insightful and they take arguments and suggestions seriously and judge of you deserve your rights. I will scan through your votes and asses them if you want.
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 8:26:02 PM

Ummm...you are joking right?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Tough
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 8:29:11 PM
At 9/9/2015 8:26:02 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Is that rhetorical?
Who is more terrifying; the one who is correct and successfully proves the liar wrong or the liar who successfully proves the correct one wrong?
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 8:32:39 PM
At 9/9/2015 8:29:11 PM, Tough wrote:

Is that rhetorical?

No.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

Tough
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 8:34:02 PM
At 9/9/2015 8:32:39 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Is that rhetorical?

No.

Same reply to you.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 8:37:31 PM
At 9/9/2015 8:34:02 PM, Tough wrote:

Is that rhetorical?

No.

Same reply to you.

???

Could you just tell me if your post was intended facetiously or not...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Tough
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 9:00:13 PM
At 9/9/2015 8:37:31 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Is that rhetorical?

No.

Same reply to you.

???

it was intended to be taken at face value as I believe every word of it to be true.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 9:09:14 PM
I've had multiple votes removed, and several of them I feel met the standards. It has discouraged me from voting and has caused me to choose to leave the site.

Bye

When votes are removed and the voter wants to appeal, they can initiate a mini-debate with the mod open for everyone to read.

Your idea is already beyond stupid.

This would be only with explicite challanges to vote removals, only a few rounds with maybe an hour between rounds

Okay NOW your idea is beyond stupid.

The second issue is whether the specific mod is available. If the one who removes a vote does not have the opportunity to defend their action, another mod could stand in and do the debate on their behalf.

There's extremely few vote moderators, and none of them have enough time to waste dealing with worthless spectacles made by butthurt voters who dont know how to vote.

The third issue is if all mods aren't available to vote. A time limit could be set for voting period (maybe 48 hours),

Again, beyond stupid.

Fourth, development time to build the system. Although it may require additional options such as only allowing mods to vote, I suspect they already exist as admin options.

They dont.

Now the advantages

There are none. Your idea is bad and it is painfully obvious that you have no idea how anything on this site works since you've been a part of this site for all of a week.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 9:15:59 PM
At 9/9/2015 9:00:13 PM, Tough wrote:
Same reply to you.

???

it was intended to be taken at face value as I believe every word of it to be true.

I hardly think they're tyrannical...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Tough
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 9:19:22 PM
At 9/9/2015 9:09:14 PM, imabench wrote:

Your idea is already beyond stupid.

Okay NOW your idea is beyond stupid.

There's extremely few vote moderators, and none of them have enough time to waste dealing with worthless spectacles made by butthurt voters who dont know how to vote.

So let's get more moderators, not simply say 'you are stupid' and use 5 year old bully mentality to crush those trying to be innovative and point out flaws in the current system

Again, beyond stupid.

They dont.

Now the advantages

There are none. Your idea is bad and it is painfully obvious that you have no idea how anything on this site works since you've been a part of this site for all of a week.

Stop being such a narcissistic cunt, do you get some kind of kick out of it?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 9:24:49 PM
At 9/9/2015 9:15:59 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Same reply to you.

???

Tough is a nut just dont pay any attention to him
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

Tough
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 9:26:57 PM
At 9/9/2015 9:24:49 PM, imabench wrote:
Same reply to you.

???

And you are a bully, and I am choosing to pay attention to you. If you wish to f*** with me, I am more than happy to go. nut the best you got kid? You're a frozen fan for christ's sake, that's not bad because it's gay it's bad because it's ridiculously childish and your 5 year old insults don't better the cause.

You should probably back off before your first and last permaban arrive, temp ban hopping only lasts so long.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 9:29:45 PM
At 9/9/2015 9:19:22 PM, Tough wrote:

So let's get more moderators,

There's not exactly an abundance of people who are both competent enough to be vote moderators and actually want to devote an insane amount of their time to being a vote moderator.... Its a thankless job that doesn't pay or give out any sort of reward for doing and it only gets the moderaters a bunch of grief from whiny children (such as yourself)

Nice knowing ya ;)

Tough
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 9:32:53 PM
At 9/9/2015 9:29:45 PM, imabench wrote:

There's not exactly an abundance of people who are both competent enough to be vote moderators and actually want to devote an insane amount of their time to being a vote moderator.... Its a thankless job that doesn't pay or give out any sort of reward for doing and it only gets the moderators a bunch of grief from whiny children (such as yourself)

Do you suffer from dyslexia? It is spelt moderator surely someone 'so experienced' on this website would know this basic fact?

There is no application process to becoming a vote mod other than to suck up to the current vote mods and for them to recognize you as what they perceive to be a good voter over a long period of time rather than to prove you can objectively analyze votes through a test of any kind.

The issue isn't the lack of those willing to fulfil the role, it's the lack of accessibility for those willing to apply for it.

Nice knowing ya ;)
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 9:32:59 PM
I think it may be best to not escalate this further...Just a friendly word of advice...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 9:33:30 PM
At 9/9/2015 9:26:57 PM, Tough wrote:
Same reply to you.

???

And you are a bully,

I literally have never said a single thing to you before you went out of your way to call me a cunt....

and I am choosing to pay attention to you.

A horrible decision really

If you wish to f*** with me, I am more than happy to go.

Another horrible decision really

nut the best you got kid? You're a frozen fan for christ's sake, that's not bad because it's gay it's bad because it's ridiculously childish and your 5 year old insults don't better the cause.

The salty is strong with this one XD

You should probably back off before your first and last permaban arrive, temp ban hopping only lasts so long.

I haven't done or said anything to you worthy of a temp ban whereas youve crossed that line from the get-go. Im gonna go ahead and continue to play this one safe while you get yourself deeper into a heap of sh** XD

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 9:35:27 PM
At 9/9/2015 9:32:53 PM, Tough wrote:
At 9/9/2015 9:29:45 PM, imabench wrote:

There's not exactly an abundance of people who are both competent enough to be vote moderators and actually want to devote an insane amount of their time to being a vote moderator.... Its a thankless job that doesn't pay or give out any sort of reward for doing and it only gets the moderators a bunch of grief from whiny children (such as yourself)

Do you suffer from dyslexia? It is spelt moderator surely someone 'so experienced' on this website would know this basic fact?

You know you have steaming mad when they resort to correcting your grammar XDDDD

There is no application process to becoming a vote mod other than to suck up to the current vote mods and for them to recognize you as what they perceive to be a good voter over a long period of time rather than to prove you can objectively analyze votes through a test of any kind.

The issue isn't the lack of those willing to fulfil the role, it's the lack of accessibility for those willing to apply for it.

Feel free to name 3 people who wanted to become a vote mod who were denied when they shouldnt have been

Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 9:35:53 PM
At 9/9/2015 9:33:30 PM, imabench wrote:
At 9/9/2015 9:26:57 PM, Tough wrote:
Same reply to you.

???

And you are a bully,

I literally have never said a single thing to you before you went out of your way to call me a cunt....

and I am choosing to pay attention to you.

A horrible decision really

If you wish to f*** with me, I am more than happy to go.

Another horrible decision really

nut the best you got kid? You're a frozen fan for christ's sake, that's not bad because it's gay it's bad because it's ridiculously childish and your 5 year old insults don't better the cause.

The salty is strong with this one XD

I haven't done or said anything to you worthy of a temp ban whereas youve crossed that line from the get-go. Im gonna go ahead and continue to play this one safe while you get yourself deeper into a heap of sh** XD

Both of you need to stop. Take this to a PM, not a public forum.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Tough
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 9:36:28 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and continue to play this one safe while you get yourself deeper into a heap of sh** XD

Good Elsa, *pats head* now be a good queen and before the king.
Tough
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 9:37:39 PM
At 9/9/2015 9:36:28 PM, Tough wrote:
I'm gonna go ahead and continue to play this one safe while you get yourself deeper into a heap of sh** XD

Good Elsa, *pats head* now be a good queen and bow before the king.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 9:41:26 PM
At 9/9/2015 9:35:53 PM, Lee001 wrote:

Oh relax, Tough is harmless. There are brain-dead squirrels i've hit with my car that can craft better insults than Tough.

Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 9:42:37 PM
At 9/9/2015 9:41:26 PM, imabench wrote:
At 9/9/2015 9:35:53 PM, Lee001 wrote:

Oh relax, Tough is harmless. There are brain-dead squirrels i've hit with my car that can craft better insults than Tough.

I bet you do this on purpose..
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3