Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

WODC 2015 - Rounds Complete and Final

larztheloser
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 8:32:33 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The 5 regular rounds of the WODC have now finished, with Zaradi's debate just ending its voting period. While last year Edeb8 just nudged ahead in the last moment, this year DDO was fairly dominant.

THE FINAL POINTS

1. Fourtrouble - 4 wins, 200 points
2. Zaradi - 4 wins, 173 points
3. Wylted - 4 wins, 100 points
4. shabshoral - 3 wins, 62 points
5=. RxR - 3 wins
5=. lannan13 - 3 wins
7. The Redneck - 2 wins, 8 points
8. Stag - 2 wins
9. debatability - 1 win
10. That1User

Dropouts are excluded from the site ranking this year, which has massively boosted the DDO score.

DDO average: 4.85
Edeb8 average: 6.67
(lower is better)

WHAT HAPPENS NOW?
According to the rules, the size of the break is 4 - as such, we will see semi finals and the grand final. As it happens, all four finalists are from DDO.

Semifinal matchups (first listed is affirming)
Fourtrouble vs Zaradi
Wylted vs shabshoral

Topic selection
This will still happen via the Australs system, however, since all remaining competitors are on this site, we can now do it via PM. As such, here are your available topics for the semi-final:

This House believes that fraternities should be required to meet racial quotas that are similar to the diversity at their schools.

This house regrets the lack of date rape protection tools marketed towards men.

This House believes that geoengineering should be implemented to reduce global warming.

Good luck to all remaining competitors, and well done to everyone who competed! I know this is probably the toughest tournament of its type because it's quite long and gruelling, and there were still some issues with emails this year, but hopefully the topics have been challenging and the competition ok.
Zaradi
Posts: 14,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 5:14:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/10/2015 8:32:33 AM, larztheloser wrote:

So are we still getting emails that tell us to pick a topic or are we deciding our topics via PMing our opponent?
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,757
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 5:28:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'd do any of them except Pro on this:

This House believes that fraternities should be required to meet racial quotas that are similar to the diversity at their schools.
larztheloser
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 5:32:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/10/2015 5:14:13 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 9/10/2015 8:32:33 AM, larztheloser wrote:

So are we still getting emails that tell us to pick a topic or are we deciding our topics via PMing our opponent?

I figure for these last 2 rounds you might as well PM. Saves hassle since it's all on the one site.
larztheloser
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 5:34:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
To be clear though - for the sake of getting your topic decided fast, doing a selection via the 1/2/3 system would be ideal - I can do a coin toss if you need one for the one case where it would be required.
lannan13
Posts: 23,017
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 5:34:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So close, yet so far.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Zaradi
Posts: 14,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 5:43:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/10/2015 5:23:15 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
Which topic you want?

Let's do the date rape topic then?
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,757
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 5:44:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/10/2015 5:43:18 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 9/10/2015 5:23:15 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
Which topic you want?

Let's do the date rape topic then?

Sure.
Zaradi
Posts: 14,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 5:57:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/10/2015 5:44:58 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
At 9/10/2015 5:43:18 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 9/10/2015 5:23:15 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
Which topic you want?

Let's do the date rape topic then?

Sure.

K. I'm gonna hold off until after this saturday to accept it bc I have a tournament to go to this friday and saturday.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,757
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 6:00:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/10/2015 5:57:15 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 9/10/2015 5:44:58 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
At 9/10/2015 5:43:18 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 9/10/2015 5:23:15 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
Which topic you want?

Let's do the date rape topic then?

Sure.

K. I'm gonna hold off until after this saturday to accept it bc I have a tournament to go to this friday and saturday.

That's cool. I'm actually gonna be super busy myself until Tuesday, so if you want to hold off until then, that's better for me.
Zaradi
Posts: 14,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 6:05:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/10/2015 6:00:38 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
At 9/10/2015 5:57:15 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 9/10/2015 5:44:58 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
At 9/10/2015 5:43:18 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 9/10/2015 5:23:15 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
Which topic you want?

Let's do the date rape topic then?

Sure.

K. I'm gonna hold off until after this saturday to accept it bc I have a tournament to go to this friday and saturday.

That's cool. I'm actually gonna be super busy myself until Tuesday, so if you want to hold off until then, that's better for me.

Tuesday it is
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
ShabShoral
Posts: 3,222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 7:24:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
These topics would be hell if I wasn't negating.

@Wylted

You get the final pick of the topic. It doesn't matter to me.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 12:14:56 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/10/2015 7:24:36 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
These topics would be hell if I wasn't negating.

@Wylted

You get the final pick of the topic. It doesn't matter to me.

Cool thanks
Zaradi
Posts: 14,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 12:19:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/10/2015 7:46:01 PM, Mikal wrote:
zaradi and FT

looking forward to reading this one

It's already happened once before.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
Posts: 223
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 3:43:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/10/2015 6:00:38 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
At 9/10/2015 5:57:15 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 9/10/2015 5:44:58 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
At 9/10/2015 5:43:18 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 9/10/2015 5:23:15 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
Which topic you want?

Let's do the date rape topic then?

Sure.

K. I'm gonna hold off until after this saturday to accept it bc I have a tournament to go to this friday and saturday.

That's cool. I'm actually gonna be super busy myself until Tuesday, so if you want to hold off until then, that's better for me.

Notice the word "K"....Emphasis on K
ShabShoral
Posts: 3,222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 2:47:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/10/2015 8:32:33 AM, larztheloser wrote:

Oh my gosh, is it almost over? It's fun and all, but I just want to leave DDO already :(

My debate with Wylted just finished:
http://www.debate.org...
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty
larztheloser
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 2:56:51 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/29/2015 2:47:55 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 9/10/2015 8:32:33 AM, larztheloser wrote:

Oh my gosh, is it almost over? It's fun and all, but I just want to leave DDO already :(

My debate with Wylted just finished:
http://www.debate.org...

Awesome.

Mostly we're waiting on this: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,098
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 3:04:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/29/2015 2:47:55 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 9/10/2015 8:32:33 AM, larztheloser wrote:

Oh my gosh, is it almost over? It's fun and all, but I just want to leave DDO already :(

It strikes me as a bit odd that you note something (debating) to be fun, yet you want to leave the place you do it in.

Just a note...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
Posts: 223
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 4:15:44 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/10/2015 8:32:33 AM, larztheloser wrote:
The 5 regular rounds of the WODC have now finished, with Zaradi's debate just ending its voting period. While last year Edeb8 just nudged ahead in the last moment, this year DDO was fairly dominant.

THE FINAL POINTS

1. Fourtrouble - 4 wins, 200 points
2. Zaradi - 4 wins, 173 points
3. Wylted - 4 wins, 100 points
4. shabshoral - 3 wins, 62 points
5=. RxR - 3 wins
5=. lannan13 - 3 wins
7. The Redneck - 2 wins, 8 points
8. Stag - 2 wins
9. debatability - 1 win
10. That1User

Dropouts are excluded from the site ranking this year, which has massively boosted the DDO score.

DDO average: 4.85
Edeb8 average: 6.67
(lower is better)

WHAT HAPPENS NOW?
According to the rules, the size of the break is 4 - as such, we will see semi finals and the grand final. As it happens, all four finalists are from DDO.

Semifinal matchups (first listed is affirming)
Fourtrouble vs Zaradi
Wylted vs shabshoral

Topic selection
This will still happen via the Australs system, however, since all remaining competitors are on this site, we can now do it via PM. As such, here are your available topics for the semi-final:

This House believes that fraternities should be required to meet racial quotas that are similar to the diversity at their schools.

This house regrets the lack of date rape protection tools marketed towards men.

This House believes that geoengineering should be implemented to reduce global warming.

Good luck to all remaining competitors, and well done to everyone who competed! I know this is probably the toughest tournament of its type because it's quite long and gruelling, and there were still some issues with emails this year, but hopefully the topics have been challenging and the competition ok.

good job FT