Total Posts:78|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

***Presidential Update 6: Midterm Report***

bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2015 6:20:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Aloha, DDO!

Intro

Since this is the midterm update, I will review the accomplishments my administration has made in the last 3 months, as well as offer a review of future and on-going projects. This is part of an on-going mission to keep DDO abreast of what we're doing on its behalf, and to operate with a high degree of transparency.

I would also like to take this opportunity to explicitly open myself up to questions: anything you want to ask about the administration, please go ahead. You can ask any questions in this thread or in this AUAA [http://www.debate.org...]. While I am always available to respond to questions or concerns, this is a good chance for me to answer any queries you may have.

I also want to put in a few plugs and reminders, as per usual, before I move on:

1. We're in need of tournament mods! If you would like to be a mod for a beginners' or regular tournament, please contact me or Airmax to apply. Thanks!

2. I just wanted to remind everyone that if they would like to be mentored by an experienced debater to reach out to Zaradi, who is running the New Member Mentorship Program [http://www.debate.org...]. Zaradi is also in search of mentors, not just mentees.

3. Tej [http://www.debate.org...] is currently working on the "Biweekly Topics" for the forums. If you're interested in submitting or suggesting a topic, please reach out to him. I also understand many people would like to see more variety and quality of topics, but that relies on people submitting good topics to the program. Please consider volunteering to help out. Thanks!

4. And, as always, if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to contact me, Zaradi, or BV. We'd be happy to listen and help.

Updates

- Our administration has finally released the "Official Guide to Debating on DDO" after months of painstaking work! Please check it out [http://www.debate.org...]. The guide is designed to help newcomers learn the basic of debating on DDO.
- I started an official forum thread for feedback on ways to revive the DDO forums. Please feel free to comment [http://www.debate.org...].

Midterm Report

Accomplishments

Our administration has managed to do quite a lot in our 3 months in office so far. I just want to report to you a summary of what we've done.

- Got the Fan Fic Awards Stickied [http://www.debate.org...]
- Started the "New Member Debate Mentorship Program" run by Zaradi, and which has helped several new users thus far [New Member Debate Mentorship Program]
- Started a "User Outreach Program" whereby established users reach out to promising members who only use one part of the site, and encourage them to engage more fully on the site, and provide them with the resources to do that
- Started the biweekly topics
- Got the DDO Election Eligibility standards updated to address certain issues (e.g skewed against polls/opinions users) [http://www.debate.org...]. The standards are given below:

Members must have 2 months of minimum membership on the site, and must also meet one of the following bullets:

- 1,000 posts
- 5 debates without any forfeits AND 100 posts
- 3 debates without any forfeits AND 50 poll or opinion topics/questions that haven't been deleted by mods AND 100 posts
- 500 posts AND 50 poll or opinion topics/questions that haven't been deleted by mods


- Overhauled the tournament system to address problems in the old system [http://www.debate.org...] and updated the NMRM!! sticky to reflect the changes
- Got the Tournament Winners sticky [http://www.debate.org...] updated with all previous official tournaments
- Started and continued biweekly updates to inform the community and to highlight good content on the site; if you include this update, I will have recognized 95 users in my updates since they began!
- Created and released the "How-to-Debate Guide" that I had promised, one of our administration's proudest successes [https://docs.google.com...]

In-the-Works

- Voting Reform is something I am actively working on with moderation and have been since my administration began. Currently, an opt-in guide with higher standards is being developed and debated. This guide would address the concerns of those who want higher voting standards without forcing all of DDO to conform to those standards. It is also favored by a very large segment of the usership.
- Reviving the Forums is clearly an important issue on DDO's mind [http://www.debate.org...]. After much discussion and feedback on the issue, I would like to implement a multi-pronged effort to try to breath some life back into the forums. I think it will have some positive effect, but--even if it doesn't--I think it is better to try here than to do nothing. This 7-point system (hopefully everyone gets the pun) is focused on generating quality content and exposing members to quality content. Ultimately, if there is good content out there, and the users are directed towards it, I think forum activity will increase. The steps I wish to take are as follows:

a) Oversee biweekly topics more closely and personally
b) Have a weekly contest for best OP (reward status tbd)
c) Enlist prominent members to make OPs in the forums each week (to last for a trial period of 4 weeks)
d) Have a sign-up for members interested in forum discussion, and, each week, to send those members 4-6 links to good threads to comment on
e) Work on bumping quality threads above excessive spam
f) Work on ways to build connections between the polls and the forums, to have an exchange of quality content
g) See if anyone would be interested in doing weekly column's in the forums, or putting together a "DDO Newsletter" in the forums


- I also plan on doing more to advertise our programs, because the survey data I collected shows that many users just aren't aware of the resources available to them [http://www.debate.org...]. If they're not aware that these things exist, they cannot avail themselves of them, so I plan to do more direct outreach moving forward.
- Community Activities are something I am going to work at more aggressively, including, but not limited too, risk, DDO Jeopardy!, fan fics, etc. I may also seek to develop a gameshow unique to DDO for the community.

Conclusion

When I ran for President, I repeatedly and explicitly stressed community building as the main focus of our candidacy. As President, I have now realized almost all of the planks of our community building platform [http://www.debate.org...] and am actively working on fulfilling even more. I think this is a successful record, and I hope to continue to work at delivering more for DDO.

Community Activities

- Mafia Sign-ups: http://www.debate.org...
- Given the issues people have raised with less vibrant hangouts, I would still be interested in organizing a Risk Tournament. The original thread can be found here. If interested [http://www.debate.org...] post there.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2015 6:21:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
(Continued From Above)

Highlighted Debates

Challenge Period

101: The Partial Nuclear Ban Treaty should have been amended to allow Project Orion to proceed
[http://www.debate.org...]

Lannan: On Balance, Anarcho-Capitalism is preferable to Anarcho-Communism
[http://www.debate.org...]

Blah: Human Activity Is a Significant Factor in Global Warming on Planet Earth
[http://www.debate.org...]

Debating Period

Roark vs. GR95: Free market capitalism
[http://www.debate.org...]

Wylted vs. Bossy: THBT Geoengineering Should Be Implemented To Reduce global warming
[http://www.debate.org...]

Kasmic vs. Sarra: Governments ought to protect citizens from themselves
[http://www.debate.org...]

Taj vs. Hayd: Gun bans would not be very effective in the U.S.A
[http://www.debate.org...]

Voting Period

Greg vs. Romanii: A system of true Capitalism is the most beneficial system for the world
[http://www.debate.org...]

Dian vs. Ax: Marxism is better than capitalism
[http://www.debate.org...]

MAR vs. Mike: God Exists And Is Both Omnipotent And Omnibenevolent
[http://www.debate.org...]

Highlighted Forums

Vox: Why Ben Carson will win the GOP nomination
[http://www.debate.org...]

bsh: Kentucky Clerk Defies Supreme Court
[http://www.debate.org...]

PCP: Newly discovered human species...
[http://www.debate.org...]

Highlighted Polls

kack: Should universal basic income be a human right?
[http://www.debate.org...]

Vox: Should some Eugenics policies be pursued by the US Government?
[http://www.debate.org...]

Paul: Is Donald Trump in idealogy a republican or democrat?
[http://www.debate.org...]

Trivia

The greatest mass ascent of air balloons in the world, recorded in July 2013, involved 408 balloons lifting off from France. The hot air balloon is, in fact, the oldest successful mechanism for human aerial flight, first successfully conduct in France in 1783. Because the fire beneath the balloon heats the air within, it gives lift to the vessel, as hot air tends to rise, whereas cold air sinks. If enough hot air is pushing upward at once, it can pull you along with it. Now a common pastime for many hobbyists, it's a cool way to not only travel, but to see the world around you.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...
https://en.wikipedia.org...

Previous Updates

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

Other Links

Midterm Interview (w/ Kasmic): http://www.debate.org...
Midterm Survey Results: http://www.debate.org...
Midterm AUAA: http://www.debate.org...

============================

Thanks, DDO, for 3 great months :) I am looking forward to another 3 months of hard work!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2015 7:07:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/14/2015 6:55:51 PM, Romanii wrote:
NOOOOO WHY THAT DEBATE T.T

nac

Lol...It's not a bad debate...I'll vote on it if you want me too, even.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Romanii
Posts: 4,861
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2015 7:25:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/14/2015 7:07:58 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/14/2015 6:55:51 PM, Romanii wrote:
NOOOOO WHY THAT DEBATE T.T

nac

Lol...It's not a bad debate...I'll vote on it if you want me too, even.

It was terrible... a noob-snipe gone horribly awry. Easily the worst debate on the site I've done recently. I could only spend 5-15 minutes on each round (cuz of 24 hr time limits during a busy weekend) and had to completely BS it.
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2015 7:41:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/14/2015 7:25:11 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 9/14/2015 7:07:58 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/14/2015 6:55:51 PM, Romanii wrote:
NOOOOO WHY THAT DEBATE T.T

nac

Lol...It's not a bad debate...I'll vote on it if you want me too, even.

It was terrible... a noob-snipe gone horribly awry. Easily the worst debate on the site I've done recently. I could only spend 5-15 minutes on each round (cuz of 24 hr time limits during a busy weekend) and had to completely BS it.

It wasn't terrible, lol...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
lannan13
Posts: 23,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2015 10:43:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/14/2015 7:25:11 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 9/14/2015 7:07:58 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/14/2015 6:55:51 PM, Romanii wrote:
NOOOOO WHY THAT DEBATE T.T

nac

Lol...It's not a bad debate...I'll vote on it if you want me too, even.

It was terrible... a noob-snipe gone horribly awry. Easily the worst debate on the site I've done recently. I could only spend 5-15 minutes on each round (cuz of 24 hr time limits during a busy weekend) and had to completely BS it.

That's why I want all debates I'm in to be 72 hours long and you just don't underestimate Greg.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Romanii
Posts: 4,861
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2015 11:04:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/14/2015 10:43:50 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 9/14/2015 7:25:11 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 9/14/2015 7:07:58 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/14/2015 6:55:51 PM, Romanii wrote:
NOOOOO WHY THAT DEBATE T.T

nac

Lol...It's not a bad debate...I'll vote on it if you want me too, even.

It was terrible... a noob-snipe gone horribly awry. Easily the worst debate on the site I've done recently. I could only spend 5-15 minutes on each round (cuz of 24 hr time limits during a busy weekend) and had to completely BS it.

That's why I want all debates I'm in to be 72 hours long and you just don't underestimate Greg.

LOL yeah Greg's actually pretty good. The only way I won was with a framework technicality... if the resolution was a bit different, then I would have crashed and burned.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2015 11:30:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
===BEST DEBATE ON DDO:===
Wylted versus forexhowser:
http://www.debate.org...
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2015 11:30:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/14/2015 11:30:00 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

-_-
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2015 11:33:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/14/2015 11:30:59 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/14/2015 11:30:00 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

-_-

Bruh, don't b a h8R
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2015 11:33:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/14/2015 11:33:20 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 9/14/2015 11:30:59 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/14/2015 11:30:00 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

-_-

Bruh, don't b a h8R

-_- I am flatlining.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2015 11:34:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/14/2015 11:33:55 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/14/2015 11:33:20 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 9/14/2015 11:30:59 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/14/2015 11:30:00 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

-_-

Bruh, don't b a h8R

-_- I am flatlining.

So you're straight???
I'm disappointed... :(
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
lannan13
Posts: 23,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2015 11:34:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/14/2015 11:30:00 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
===BEST DEBATE ON DDO:===
Wylted versus forexhowser:
http://www.debate.org...

lol, what?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2015 11:35:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/14/2015 11:34:27 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 9/14/2015 11:33:55 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/14/2015 11:33:20 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 9/14/2015 11:30:59 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/14/2015 11:30:00 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

-_-

Bruh, don't b a h8R

-_- I am flatlining.

So you're straight???
I'm disappointed... :(

Stop spamming my thread, pls. Thanks.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2015 11:36:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/14/2015 11:35:13 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/14/2015 11:34:27 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 9/14/2015 11:33:55 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/14/2015 11:33:20 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 9/14/2015 11:30:59 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/14/2015 11:30:00 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

-_-

Bruh, don't b a h8R

-_- I am flatlining.

So you're straight???
I'm disappointed... :(

Stop spamming my thread, pls. Thanks.

VOTE TO IMPEACH BSH
For lying about his sexuality :3
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 2:15:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/14/2015 11:36:37 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

*rolls eyes*
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ClashnBoom
Posts: 886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 2:19:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/15/2015 2:15:46 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/14/2015 11:36:37 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

*rolls eyes*

Wait. Your not a boy? Or your not a gay? Or is Esocial crazy?
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 2:23:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/15/2015 2:19:24 PM, ClashnBoom wrote:
At 9/15/2015 2:15:46 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/14/2015 11:36:37 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

*rolls eyes*

Wait. Your not a boy? Or your not a gay? Or is Esocial crazy?

I am a guy. And I am definitely gay. Esocial is teasing me.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,641
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 3:03:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/14/2015 6:20:06 PM, bsh1 wrote:
- Reviving the Forums is clearly an important issue on DDO's mind [http://www.debate.org...]. After much discussion and feedback on the issue, I would like to implement a multi-pronged effort to try to breath some life back into the forums. I think it will have some positive effect, but--even if it doesn't--I think it is better to try here than to do nothing. This 7-point system (hopefully everyone gets the pun) is focused on generating quality content and exposing members to quality content. Ultimately, if there is good content out there, and the users are directed towards it, I think forum activity will increase. The steps I wish to take are as follows:

a) Oversee biweekly topics more closely and personally
b) Have a weekly contest for best OP (reward status tbd)
c) Enlist prominent members to make OPs in the forums each week (to last for a trial period of 4 weeks)
d) Have a sign-up for members interested in forum discussion, and, each week, to send those members 4-6 links to good threads to comment on
e) Work on bumping quality threads above excessive spam
f) Work on ways to build connections between the polls and the forums, to have an exchange of quality content
g) See if anyone would be interested in doing weekly column's in the forums, or putting together a "DDO Newsletter" in the forums


From what I see there, you plan on doing the very least amount of effort and have ignored tried an true strategies that actually work. No problem, I understand you have no interest in putting in the effort, but please don't insult our intelligence by telling us that your so-called ideas are going to work. They won't.

But hey, good luck with that, Mr. President.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 3:11:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/15/2015 3:03:42 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/14/2015 6:20:06 PM, bsh1 wrote:
- Reviving the Forums is clearly an important issue on DDO's mind [http://www.debate.org...]. After much discussion and feedback on the issue, I would like to implement a multi-pronged effort to try to breath some life back into the forums. I think it will have some positive effect, but--even if it doesn't--I think it is better to try here than to do nothing. This 7-point system (hopefully everyone gets the pun) is focused on generating quality content and exposing members to quality content. Ultimately, if there is good content out there, and the users are directed towards it, I think forum activity will increase. The steps I wish to take are as follows:

a) Oversee biweekly topics more closely and personally
b) Have a weekly contest for best OP (reward status tbd)
c) Enlist prominent members to make OPs in the forums each week (to last for a trial period of 4 weeks)
d) Have a sign-up for members interested in forum discussion, and, each week, to send those members 4-6 links to good threads to comment on
e) Work on bumping quality threads above excessive spam
f) Work on ways to build connections between the polls and the forums, to have an exchange of quality content
g) See if anyone would be interested in doing weekly column's in the forums, or putting together a "DDO Newsletter" in the forums


From what I see there, you plan on doing the very least amount of effort and have ignored tried an true strategies that actually work.

What else would you have me do? Most of the stuff you want done requires moderation approval, and (a) I am not a mod, and (b) the mods outrank me. So, I have to do what is actually within my authority to implement. The proposals here are also by no means easy or the least effort possible. If I wanted to invest the least effort, I would've done nothing. Organizing, motivating, and overseeing all of the above suggestions take more time than I think you credit it.

No problem, I understand you have no interest in putting in the effort, but please don't insult our intelligence by telling us that your so-called ideas are going to work. They won't.

Please don't insult me or my work ethic when you are clearly unaware of what I can feasibly do and when you don't know very much about me other than are very few interactions on the site.

But hey, good luck with that, Mr. President.

I would appreciate the well-wishes more if they were actually meant. But thank you nonetheless.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 3:21:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
People that really only post in the religion forum should stay there.

(Let's build a border wall.)
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,641
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 6:21:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/15/2015 3:11:27 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/15/2015 3:03:42 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/14/2015 6:20:06 PM, bsh1 wrote:
- Reviving the Forums is clearly an important issue on DDO's mind [http://www.debate.org...]. After much discussion and feedback on the issue, I would like to implement a multi-pronged effort to try to breath some life back into the forums. I think it will have some positive effect, but--even if it doesn't--I think it is better to try here than to do nothing. This 7-point system (hopefully everyone gets the pun) is focused on generating quality content and exposing members to quality content. Ultimately, if there is good content out there, and the users are directed towards it, I think forum activity will increase. The steps I wish to take are as follows:

a) Oversee biweekly topics more closely and personally
b) Have a weekly contest for best OP (reward status tbd)
c) Enlist prominent members to make OPs in the forums each week (to last for a trial period of 4 weeks)
d) Have a sign-up for members interested in forum discussion, and, each week, to send those members 4-6 links to good threads to comment on
e) Work on bumping quality threads above excessive spam
f) Work on ways to build connections between the polls and the forums, to have an exchange of quality content
g) See if anyone would be interested in doing weekly column's in the forums, or putting together a "DDO Newsletter" in the forums


From what I see there, you plan on doing the very least amount of effort and have ignored tried an true strategies that actually work.

What else would you have me do? Most of the stuff you want done requires moderation approval, and (a) I am not a mod, and (b) the mods outrank me. So, I have to do what is actually within my authority to implement.

So, you're like the Queen of England, an impotent figure head that patronizes?

The proposals here are also by no means easy or the least effort possible. If I wanted to invest the least effort, I would've done nothing.

Okay, so you're more like a politician who spends all their time making speeches of change and reform, but has little time or resources to deliver?

Organizing, motivating, and overseeing all of the above suggestions take more time than I think you credit it.

Dude, I was a mod in several science forums since the late 90's, I know exactly what it takes to succeed and fail. I've seen it all before. And yet, I see you guys spend more time on inane chatter and playing games than anything else. I see no effort here whatsoever.

Who's the prettiest, who's the smartest, let's play Risk and Mafia, let's chat about nothing at all, this is what I see.

Again, if you want to run this forum into the ground, that's your prerogative, just don't insult my intelligence by saying you're actually doing something productive. Thanks.

No problem, I understand you have no interest in putting in the effort, but please don't insult our intelligence by telling us that your so-called ideas are going to work. They won't.

Please don't insult me or my work ethic when you are clearly unaware of what I can feasibly do and when you don't know very much about me other than are very few interactions on the site.

I can observe the results of your work, the Science forum is literally dead. Well done.

But hey, good luck with that, Mr. President.

I would appreciate the well-wishes more if they were actually meant. But thank you nonetheless.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,641
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 6:28:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/15/2015 3:21:50 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
People that really only post in the religion forum should stay there.

(Let's build a border wall.)

LOL. Kids say the funniest things.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 6:51:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/15/2015 6:21:33 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/15/2015 3:11:27 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/15/2015 3:03:42 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
From what I see there, you plan on doing the very least amount of effort and have ignored tried an true strategies that actually work.

What else would you have me do? Most of the stuff you want done requires moderation approval, and (a) I am not a mod, and (b) the mods outrank me. So, I have to do what is actually within my authority to implement.

So, you're like the Queen of England, an impotent figure head that patronizes?

Some think the office of the Presidency is impotent, but I would disagree. I command a bully pulpit which gives me the ability to do things many members couldn't. But--again--I am more a community organizer and advocate than anything else. I explained all this too you earlier--I am not a moderator. But, just because I am not a moderator but a community organizer doesn't mean I cannot get things done; this thread alone is a testament to the usefulness of the Presidency.

Also, the deliberately condescending tone of your comments really isn't necessary or appropriate.

Organizing, motivating, and overseeing all of the above suggestions take more time than I think you credit it.

Dude, I was a mod in several science forums since the late 90's, I know exactly what it takes to succeed and fail. I've seen it all before. And yet, I see you guys spend more time on inane chatter and playing games than anything else. I see no effort here whatsoever.

Please stop comparing me to moderators; I am not a mod, and so framing the conversation in the context of what a mod would do skews the discussion. What I would say is that you're judging solely based on what you see, not based on what you don't say. There is work and effort that goes into coordinating various initiatives and that goes into behind the scenes advocacy. If I were the kind of slothful oaf you seem happy to paint me as, the accomplishments listed in the OP wouldn't have been realized.

Again, if you want to run this forum into the ground, that's your prerogative, just don't insult my intelligence by saying you're actually doing something productive. Thanks.

Again, I don't run the forums. I don't have any direct control over anything in the forums. I have said this multiple times, but you don't seem to be absorbing the information. I am doing what I can to promote activity and community-building. The initiatives you referenced so pejoratively are actually things many users enjoy and request.

No problem, I understand you have no interest in putting in the effort, but please don't insult our intelligence by telling us that your so-called ideas are going to work. They won't.

Please don't insult me or my work ethic when you are clearly unaware of what I can feasibly do and when you don't know very much about me other than are very few interactions on the site.

I can observe the results of your work, the Science forum is literally dead. Well done.

You cannot actually blame me for the death of a forum that--arguably--was dead before I was elected. And since I have only now been able to turn my attention to revitalizing the forums, you cannot point to my policies and say "they failed!" because they've yet to be started.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Romanii
Posts: 4,861
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 3:05:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/14/2015 7:41:55 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/14/2015 7:25:11 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 9/14/2015 7:07:58 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/14/2015 6:55:51 PM, Romanii wrote:
NOOOOO WHY THAT DEBATE T.T

nac

Lol...It's not a bad debate...I'll vote on it if you want me too, even.

It was terrible... a noob-snipe gone horribly awry. Easily the worst debate on the site I've done recently. I could only spend 5-15 minutes on each round (cuz of 24 hr time limits during a busy weekend) and had to completely BS it.

It wasn't terrible, lol...

This debate was wayyyyy better:
http://www.debate.org...
(You should totally vote on it btw)
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 7:31:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/17/2015 3:05:46 PM, Romanii wrote:

This debate was wayyyyy better:
http://www.debate.org...
(You should totally vote on it btw)

Lol...Perhaps I will vote on it...Though, internet is a rare commodity right now...sadly...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,641
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 2:56:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/15/2015 6:51:54 PM, bsh1 wrote:
you cannot point to my policies and say "they failed!" because they've yet to be started.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Einstein
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 8:37:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/19/2015 2:56:56 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/15/2015 6:51:54 PM, bsh1 wrote:
you cannot point to my policies and say "they failed!" because they've yet to be started.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Einstein

I am not doing the same thing over and over again, as this initiative is a relatively new effort. Let's try not to prejudge and to make character assaults, but to analyze afterword.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...