Jump to topic:

Mentor Needed...

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 8:01:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Seriously, I need a debate mentor. I need someone to coach me on debate. I've debated IRL once in my life, and lost badly. I need to be mentored. My application for the mentorship program was denied because I've "got a high Elo." Does anyone honestly believe Elo is a measure of skill? Everything I've done on DDO so far has been self-taught. I had a mentor who was inactive in my first Beginners' Tournament, so I never got mentored then, and I lost badly then too. I've significantly improved, but I still need someone to teach me to debate stuff. :(

Please mentor me
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 8:26:20 AM
At 9/15/2015 8:01:41 AM, tejretics wrote:
Seriously, I need a debate mentor. I need someone to coach me on debate. I've debated IRL once in my life, and lost badly. I need to be mentored. My application for the mentorship program was denied because I've "got a high Elo." Does anyone honestly believe Elo is a measure of skill? Everything I've done on DDO so far has been self-taught. I had a mentor who was inactive in my first Beginners' Tournament, so I never got mentored then, and I lost badly then too. I've significantly improved, but I still need someone to teach me to debate stuff. :(

Please mentor me

You? You? Seriously?
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 8:29:45 AM
At 9/15/2015 8:26:20 AM, ClashnBoom wrote:

Please mentor me

You? You? Seriously?

That's the exact, cynical response that I so detest, and which I often get when I say I need a mentor.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 8:34:02 AM
At 9/15/2015 8:29:45 AM, tejretics wrote:

Please mentor me

You? You? Seriously?

That's the exact, cynical response that I so detest, and which I often get when I say I need a mentor.

And that's the response that makes me think, really?
Who do you want to mentor you? It seems you've copied bsh1's style. Do you want someone like him?
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 9:20:19 AM
At 9/15/2015 8:34:02 AM, ClashnBoom wrote:
At 9/15/2015 8:29:45 AM, tejretics wrote:

Please mentor me

You? You? Seriously?

And that's the response that makes me think, really?
Who do you want to mentor you?

No one particularly.

It seems you've copied bsh1's style.

How so? I've barely read any of bsh's debates...
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 12:09:40 PM

Please mentor me

I've done NFL, so I can help. I've done Policy, Public Forum, and Lincoln-Douglas debate.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 3:38:39 PM
At 9/15/2015 12:09:40 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Please mentor me

I've done NFL, so I can help. I've done Policy, Public Forum, and Lincoln-Douglas debate.

Yes, sure! I'll PM you, I need some tips...
Tough
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 3:44:09 PM

Please mentor me

Start debating in Tamil instead of English and your elo will slowly drop to a levle where people will accept you asking for a mentor. :)
Who is more terrifying; the one who is correct and successfully proves the liar wrong or the liar who successfully proves the correct one wrong?
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 3:45:22 PM
At 9/15/2015 3:38:39 PM, tejretics wrote:

Please mentor me

Coolio.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 5:13:49 PM
At 9/15/2015 3:38:39 PM, tejretics wrote:

Please mentor me

Talk to FT
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 5:46:38 PM

Please mentor me

Something that you might consider as well is mentoring. Like you, most of what I have done is self taught, though I have had some good feedback. I learn most when I teach. Perhaps by mentoring, you could find ways to improve at debate.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 7:27:42 PM
Ask bluesteel. He has always readily dispensed great debating advice upon request. Well he did when I approached him as Uchiha, anyways. Idk about that anymore given his apparent lack of interest in the site lately. Still worth a shot, though.
Unitomic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 5:29:48 AM

Please mentor me

New idea. What about "co-mentoring". Basically you and the other person mutually help each other? You are a very high ranked person, so certainly you can help most people just as much so as they would be able to help you.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 6:41:06 AM

My application for the mentorship program was denied because I've "got a high Elo."

This wasn't actually why I told you that you couldn't be mentored in the New Member Mentorship Program. The problem was that a) I couldn't really classify you as new because a) you had been around for a while and were an established member of the community at that point, and b) your debating ability backed up this age. You're a very good debater already. The entire point of the program is targeted around people who literally don't know a single thing about debate and how to debate on this site. You didn't meet it.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 6:56:01 AM
At 9/17/2015 6:41:06 AM, Zaradi wrote:

My application for the mentorship program was denied because I've "got a high Elo."

This wasn't actually why I told you that you couldn't be mentored in the New Member Mentorship Program. The problem was that a) I couldn't really classify you as new because a) you had been around for a while and were an established member of the community at that point, and b) your debating ability backed up this age. You're a very good debater already. The entire point of the program is targeted around people who literally don't know a single thing about debate and how to debate on this site. You didn't meet it.

Then what is your standard for "good," if not Elo? Because "good" is just subjective.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 7:01:42 AM
At 9/17/2015 6:56:01 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 9/17/2015 6:41:06 AM, Zaradi wrote:

Then what is your standard for "good," if not Elo? Because "good" is just subjective.

Good is indeed subjective. The standard is my self-considered expert opinion on whether someone is considered a new member or isn't considered a new member. If you have an issue with why I didn't accept you into the program to be mentored, you can PM me and we can talk about it. But the short of it is this -- you underestimate yourself by a lot.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 7:07:03 AM
At 9/17/2015 7:01:42 AM, Zaradi wrote:

Name a single topic I've debated "well," by your opinion, other than "God exists" and death penalty.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 7:10:51 AM
At 9/17/2015 7:07:03 AM, tejretics wrote:

Name a single topic I've debated "well," by your opinion, other than "God exists" and death penalty.

1) By your own admittance there's topic that you have debated well. This implies that you debate well in these topics, which seems to suggest that you understand how to debate, even if it's within the scope of a few topics. The understanding of how to debate is what the program aims to teach, which you would already have.

2) I'll do you one better and send you multiple debates, both recent and old, where I felt like you did a good job arguing. Let me finish the homework I'm working on first, though.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 7:20:30 AM
At 9/17/2015 7:10:51 AM, Zaradi wrote:
At 9/17/2015 7:07:03 AM, tejretics wrote:

1) By your own admittance there's topic that you have debated well. This implies that you debate well in these topics, which seems to suggest that you understand how to debate, even if it's within the scope of a few topics. The understanding of how to debate is what the program aims to teach, which you would already have.

Lol...you even respond to posts like it's a debate

2) I'll do you one better and send you multiple debates, both recent and old, where I felt like you did a good job arguing. Let me finish the homework I'm working on first, though.

K
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 7:23:15 AM
At 9/17/2015 7:20:30 AM, tejretics wrote:

If by that you mean I'm explaining my reasoning for why I believe certain things, then yes, I do.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 7:24:48 AM
At 9/17/2015 7:23:15 AM, Zaradi wrote:

If by that you mean I'm explaining my reasoning for why I believe certain things, then yes, I do.

No, I mean that if it was a formal debate on whether I know how to debate or whatever, that would've been an actual, formal contention, haha.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 7:26:53 AM
At 9/17/2015 7:24:48 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 9/17/2015 7:23:15 AM, Zaradi wrote:

No, I mean that if it was a formal debate on whether I know how to debate or whatever, that would've been an actual, formal contention, haha.

ROFL. No, if that was to be an actual contention I would've been far less wordy.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 6:32:12 PM
I think mentoring in debate is most suited to beginners who need to learn the basic structure and methods. But there is no question there is always more to learn. Since you have done well in debates, I suggest reading books as the best approach. I'll start a forum thread on good debate books.

Debate technique is useful, but arguments are applied to facts. I suggest picking a few areas of interesting subject matter and drilling down on them. Then you can debate people with expertise in those subjects, and that's really useful.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 2:12:26 AM
I second RoyLatham's advice. You can learn techniques with practice (i.e. doing debates,, recognizing where you could have done better with the help of whiteflame's RFDs, and doing better next time). But the quality of the actual substance of what you say in a debate is determined by how much you know -- if you have a lot of knowledge about a subject, it's relatively easy to synthesize that information into persuasive arguments and strong rebuttals which attack your opponent's case from every possible angle. When I asked bluesteel how he got so good, his first response was simply "reading". If I can find the list of books he recommended to me, I'll post it in Roy's thread (it was sent to me as Uchiha, whose password I seem to have forgotten). Off the the top of my head, I only remember the 4 which I actually ended up reading lol.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 6:03:37 PM
The thread with book suggestions is here: http://www.debate.org...

Since the topic does not include nominations for the prettiest girls on the site or other truly important issues, it's quickly sinking into oblivion.
LordHelm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 7:16:49 PM

Please mentor me

I can mentor you. It might seem laughable at first, but if you PM me, I'll prove I can help lol.
lol101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 12:25:17 PM

Please mentor me

You beat Kasmic, how are you not a well debater? Nobody is perfect, but you are still a great debater unlike me.
Lol
"Logic is true = sky = blue"
-Rapping vi_spex.
Lol101, stop crab finching my Foo fights! It is my tree! And stop being a SpongeBob sorter!

The Lying Asteroids Nullify A Dirt Asteroid Home Immediately