Jump to topic:

Debate sourcing tips

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2010 12:53:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I have a question. Before you issue a challenge for a debate, and i am talking about one of the serious debates (not the nonsense ones), do you first check to see if you have adequate reference material before hand?

Also, any particular tips on Googling a particular point that you want to have backed up? Sometimes i assume there will be adequate information, but it comes up pretty dry, or the sources are crappy like a blog, or obviously slanted media publication.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2010 12:57:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/10/2010 12:53:24 PM, innomen wrote:
I have a question. Before you issue a challenge for a debate, and i am talking about one of the serious debates (not the nonsense ones), do you first check to see if you have adequate reference material before hand?

Also, any particular tips on Googling a particular point that you want to have backed up? Sometimes i assume there will be adequate information, but it comes up pretty dry, or the sources are crappy like a blog, or obviously slanted media publication.

I usually post my opening argument in round 1 and have a tendency to back up every statement I have with a sh!tload of evidence. However, if something comes up in Round 2 usually just google it when I'm writing up my debate and usually find an appropriate rebuttal source.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.