Jump to topic:

Can ELO decline?

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 10:41:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have a theory that ELO either doesn't decline or, if it does, by a very very small amount...

Let's test it. I'll need some volunteers with an ELO significantly lower than mine to run some test debates with me, then people will vote me down and tomorrow we will see how it affects my ELO. After the experiment, we both report the debate and Max deletes it
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 10:42:35 PM
At 9/15/2015 10:41:06 PM, thett3 wrote:
I have a theory that ELO either doesn't decline or, if it does, by a very very small amount...

Let's test it. I'll need some volunteers with an ELO significantly lower than mine to run some test debates with me, then people will vote me down and tomorrow we will see how it affects my ELO. After the experiment, we both report the debate and Max deletes it

What do you mean by significant?
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 10:45:41 PM

I'll do it.

I'd also be interested in doing something like this to see if beating a good debater gives ANY more elo than winning a noob-snipe.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 10:45:46 PM
At 9/15/2015 10:42:35 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

What do you mean by significant?

Basically I don't think it follows the stated formula. I know I've lost debates to people *much* lower in ranking than I am and it did approximately nothing to me ELO. I don't really keep track of it but it didn't seem to go down much if at all
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 10:48:15 PM
At 9/15/2015 10:45:41 PM, Romanii wrote:

I'll do it.

I'd also be interested in doing something like this to see if beating a good debater gives ANY more elo than winning a noob-snipe.

Maybe we should brainstorm some more and conduct a larger scale experiment. Maybe figure out, if it doesn't follow the stated formula, how DOES it calculate ELO?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Tough
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 10:51:14 PM

sure how about 50?
Who is more terrifying; the one who is correct and successfully proves the liar wrong or the liar who successfully proves the correct one wrong?
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 11:02:36 PM

Elo does decline by a little bit. I noticed my ELO was 4145 one day, and it became 4143 the next.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 11:05:40 PM
At 9/15/2015 10:48:15 PM, thett3 wrote:

I'll do it.

Maybe we should brainstorm some more and conduct a larger scale experiment. Maybe figure out, if it doesn't follow the stated formula, how DOES it calculate ELO?

I'm not sure... I highly doubt it follows the formula. I got about the same amount of elo for beating kasmic as I did for a noobsnipe I finished recently -- both were around 15-30 points.

On the other hand, when I was WillYouMarryMe, I had 7 wins and 7 losses, yet my elo was well above 2000. I think it might have been because two of my wins were against high elo opponents... I dunno.
Tough
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 11:07:44 PM
At 9/15/2015 11:05:40 PM, Romanii wrote:

I'll do it.

I'm not sure... I highly doubt it follows the formula. I got about the same amount of elo for beating kasmic as I did for a noobsnipe I finished recently -- both were around 15-30 points.

On the other hand, when I was WillYouMarryMe, I had 7 wins and 7 losses, yet my elo was well above 2000. I think it might have been because two of my wins were against high elo opponents... I dunno.

If you noobsniped at a lower elo yourself than when you debated kasmic, that could be related to it.
Who is more terrifying; the one who is correct and successfully proves the liar wrong or the liar who successfully proves the correct one wrong?
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 11:08:42 PM
At 9/15/2015 11:07:44 PM, Tough wrote:

I'll do it.

If you noobsniped at a lower elo yourself than when you debated kasmic, that could be related to it.

Both of the debates I'm referring to were within the past week lol.
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 11:11:23 PM

I have had a few wins and loses and my ELO does not go up or down by much. It does however fluctuate. I have been floating between 4,000 and 3,800 for my last 20 debates.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 11:18:27 PM

I'll do it.

I have noticed that some people with similar records as me have much lower ELO's so I am inclined to believe that it is because my opponents have had higher ELOs

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 11:22:01 PM

No, but it should... Not just based in debate, but inactivity. The score is not entirlu as published.
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 11:29:04 PM
Truth is I dont place any stoke in ELO. I am more interested in who people have debated against and been competitive with, than win/loss record.

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 11:48:45 PM

Someone did this before... calculated it I mean... I think it was 9space...

http://www.debate.org...
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 11:54:11 PM

ELO does immediately decline if you debate UtherPenguin, he's so stupid that even if you do win a debate against him, you are penalized just for debating him.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2015 12:03:55 AM

/in

My ELO is 1853
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Tough
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2015 12:26:44 AM
At 9/15/2015 11:54:11 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

ELO does immediately decline if you debate UtherPenguin, he's so stupid that even if you do win a debate against him, you are penalized just for debating him.

I think you mean another user whose name rhymes with sex.
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2015 1:51:38 AM
I have no idea what's wrong withall your accounts. I had a high elo of 2,500+ after a lost some debates its now 2,068

I'll join though.
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"