Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

DDO's Fallacy Aid

Unitomic
Posts: 591
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 8:30:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The point is simple. If you just know the opponent is employing a fallacy, but you can't quite name it, just post the example here, and wait for someone here to help you with naming that fallacy.
TheDebater_101
Posts: 318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 8:32:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/19/2015 8:30:56 PM, Unitomic wrote:
The point is simple. If you just know the opponent is employing a fallacy, but you can't quite name it, just post the example here, and wait for someone here to help you with naming that fallacy.
Interesting Idea, but how will you know if he correctly named the fallacy
Unitomic
Posts: 591
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 8:34:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/19/2015 8:32:02 PM, TheDebater_101 wrote:
At 9/19/2015 8:30:56 PM, Unitomic wrote:
The point is simple. If you just know the opponent is employing a fallacy, but you can't quite name it, just post the example here, and wait for someone here to help you with naming that fallacy.
Interesting Idea, but how will you know if he correctly named the fallacy

Through the power of cognitive reasoning and thinking it over. Also, if it doesn't perfectly fit, someone else on here will likely help correct him. Just wait till a consensus is had to some degree.
TheDebater_101
Posts: 318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 8:37:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/19/2015 8:34:08 PM, Unitomic wrote:
At 9/19/2015 8:32:02 PM, TheDebater_101 wrote:
At 9/19/2015 8:30:56 PM, Unitomic wrote:
The point is simple. If you just know the opponent is employing a fallacy, but you can't quite name it, just post the example here, and wait for someone here to help you with naming that fallacy.
Interesting Idea, but how will you know if he correctly named the fallacy

Through the power of cognitive reasoning and thinking it over. Also, if it doesn't perfectly fit, someone else on here will likely help correct him. Just wait till a consensus is had to some degree.
got it
Unitomic
Posts: 591
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 8:40:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/19/2015 8:37:24 PM, TheDebater_101 wrote:
At 9/19/2015 8:34:08 PM, Unitomic wrote:
At 9/19/2015 8:32:02 PM, TheDebater_101 wrote:
At 9/19/2015 8:30:56 PM, Unitomic wrote:
The point is simple. If you just know the opponent is employing a fallacy, but you can't quite name it, just post the example here, and wait for someone here to help you with naming that fallacy.
Interesting Idea, but how will you know if he correctly named the fallacy

Through the power of cognitive reasoning and thinking it over. Also, if it doesn't perfectly fit, someone else on here will likely help correct him. Just wait till a consensus is had to some degree.
got it

Besides, I've found that, after doing some reading on the fallacy, people have a very good idea of if the fallacy works. If it seems off, you may need to do a bit more looking.
Hayd
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 10:25:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/19/2015 8:30:56 PM, Unitomic wrote:
The point is simple. If you just know the opponent is employing a fallacy, but you can't quite name it, just post the example here, and wait for someone here to help you with naming that fallacy.

lol there have been so many of these...whats the fallacy where: They don't address the specifics of the argument and just say it is nulled because of all their other arguments.
Unitomic
Posts: 591
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 4:01:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/20/2015 1:37:24 AM, Wylted wrote:
My opponent said that I'm wrong about something. What do I do?

You tell him to go f*ck himself. With a rusty knife.
Unitomic
Posts: 591
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 4:03:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/19/2015 10:25:20 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 9/19/2015 8:30:56 PM, Unitomic wrote:
The point is simple. If you just know the opponent is employing a fallacy, but you can't quite name it, just post the example here, and wait for someone here to help you with naming that fallacy.

lol there have been so many of these...whats the fallacy where: They don't address the specifics of the argument and just say it is nulled because of all their other arguments.

Could you give an example of it? I think it depends on the situation
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 4:05:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/20/2015 4:01:28 AM, Unitomic wrote:
At 9/20/2015 1:37:24 AM, Wylted wrote:
My opponent said that I'm wrong about something. What do I do?

You tell him to go f*ck himself. With a rusty knife.

That's what I usually do, so I'm on the correct track
Unitomic
Posts: 591
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 4:07:58 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/20/2015 4:05:38 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 9/20/2015 4:01:28 AM, Unitomic wrote:
At 9/20/2015 1:37:24 AM, Wylted wrote:
My opponent said that I'm wrong about something. What do I do?

You tell him to go f*ck himself. With a rusty knife.

That's what I usually do, so I'm on the correct track

Yes. And if they try comment back, then you HAND them the rusty knife. Toothed is better.
Unitomic
Posts: 591
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 12:36:53 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
"Them". The ambivalently evil construct that seems astonishingly at fault for everything you don't like. Who is in it? Anyone you don't like, it seems. In reality, it can't be shown objectively to have any members, or to have be at fault for anything. It is a means to attack (or support) a person or view, by claiming it to be in support (or opposition) of "Them". An example which has become increasingly popular is "The Establishment" in government. Who is in this so-called "Establishment"? What are they actually responsible for (with proof)? Does the "Establishment" actually exist?

In instances where "They" are a real group, it is usually one that has no structure, and is merely assumed to be, as a group, responsible for what has happened. This includes how some groups like to treat the entirety of all men are somehow working together to oppress women. Or how all white people are collaborating to keep down black people. This can also include treating political parties as though they are going out of their way to destroy the nation (making the presumption that the party is destroying the nation to begin with).

What would you call this habit (which is clearly fallacious)?
TheRedneck
Posts: 25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 2:26:09 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/12/2016 12:36:53 AM, Unitomic wrote:
"Them". The ambivalently evil construct that seems astonishingly at fault for everything you don't like. Who is in it? Anyone you don't like, it seems. In reality, it can't be shown objectively to have any members, or to have be at fault for anything. It is a means to attack (or support) a person or view, by claiming it to be in support (or opposition) of "Them". An example which has become increasingly popular is "The Establishment" in government. Who is in this so-called "Establishment"? What are they actually responsible for (with proof)? Does the "Establishment" actually exist?

In instances where "They" are a real group, it is usually one that has no structure, and is merely assumed to be, as a group, responsible for what has happened. This includes how some groups like to treat the entirety of all men are somehow working together to oppress women. Or how all white people are collaborating to keep down black people. This can also include treating political parties as though they are going out of their way to destroy the nation (making the presumption that the party is destroying the nation to begin with).

What would you call this habit (which is clearly fallacious)?

Is "painting with a broad brush", A technical term?