Jump to topic:

Why?

lol101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 3:53:43 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Why aren't there any 3-way debates yet? That would be pretty cool. Of course it should be optional, but otherwise, a good option.
Lol
"Logic is true = sky = blue"
-Rapping vi_spex.
Lol101, stop crab finching my Foo fights! It is my tree! And stop being a SpongeBob sorter!

The Lying Asteroids Nullify A Dirt Asteroid Home Immediately
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 4:15:48 AM
At 9/23/2015 3:53:43 AM, lol101 wrote:
Why aren't there any 3-way debates yet? That would be pretty cool. Of course it should be optional, but otherwise, a good option.

How would that actually work? You can only affirm or deny a resolution - there's no third option.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 4:21:55 AM
At 9/23/2015 4:15:48 AM, ShabShoral wrote:

How would that actually work? You can only affirm or deny a resolution - there's no third option.

Troll it.
lol101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 12:21:43 PM

I mean three people debating each other. Once two people accept a debate, it's a three way debate. One can debate Pro, one can be Con, and the other is the middle ground.
Lol
-Rapping vi_spex.
Lol101, stop crab finching my Foo fights! It is my tree! And stop being a SpongeBob sorter!

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 4:19:27 PM

It's theoretically possible, but very impractical. For example, you could have a three way debate on the following: The USFG should substantially increase it's trade relations with just one of the following: Venezuela, Argentina, and Cuba. Each debater takes a country, and argues that their country should be the one with whom the USFG should increase trade.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
lol101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 9:53:49 PM
At 9/23/2015 4:19:27 PM, bsh1 wrote:

It's theoretically possible, but very impractical. For example, you could have a three way debate on the following: The USFG should substantially increase it's trade relations with just one of the following: Venezuela, Argentina, and Cuba. Each debater takes a country, and argues that their country should be the one with whom the USFG should increase trade.

It would just be for fun. And whoever wins a 3 way debate gets an extra ELO boost. It would also be interesting to see the different positions, Pro, Con, and the Mid. (Middle Ground) The reason it seems impractical is because it's too black and white, but it would be very interesting in some cases.
Lol
-Rapping vi_spex.

lol101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 9:55:41 PM

Example:
Pro-Marijuana should be legal
Con-Marijuana should not be legal
Mid-Marijuana should only be legal for medical purposes
Lol
-Rapping vi_spex.

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 10:00:11 PM

Abortion is ethical, abortion is unethical and abortion doesn't exist so the argument is stupid. 3 opinions, one topic
lol101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 10:08:19 PM
At 9/23/2015 10:00:11 PM, Wylted wrote:

Abortion is ethical, abortion is unethical and abortion doesn't exist so the argument is stupid. 3 opinions, one topic

It doesn't apply to everything. It is optional.
Lol
-Rapping vi_spex.

ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 12:39:13 AM
At 9/23/2015 9:55:41 PM, lol101 wrote:

Example:
Pro-Marijuana should be legal
Con-Marijuana should not be legal
Mid-Marijuana should only be legal for medical purposes

If the resolution is "Marijuana should be universally legal", there's no functional distinction between the last two positions.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz